PDA

View Full Version : I've been here roughly 2 months- question

coscass
February 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Soo. I have a question. Two, actually.

1) Protein. My hair hates it. So I don't use it. But does my hair get any protein, besides what I eat? Do I ever occasionally have to use a proteiny-conditioner? That always confused me.

2) My other question is, where everyone has.. I assume it's the width, idk, the ii/iii thing. I never found mine out. Can anyone help me figure that out? Do I need to do it on clean, untouched hair? Mine's kinda poofy right now from braid waves.

Spring
February 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
1. Maybe your hair is doing fine with the small amounts of protein you could be getting in some of your conditioners. Internally, your diet affects your hair only as it's being made in the follicle, so once it leaves I guess we get our protein from what we apply to it. But your hair looks great!

2. I wonder how to do this as well. I measure at the thickest part of my hair, which is the nape, squeeze that hair tightly and measure the distance around with a tape measure.

bumblebums
February 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=164

instructions on how to type your hair. It should be freshly washed and air-dryed, so no braid waves. Braid waves might contribute volume that isn't necessarily characteristic of your hair.

GlassEyes
February 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
1. When you can pull your hair and it basically snaps right away, then you -really- need protein. Otherwise, barring having fine or damaged hair, you should be fine. If you look in the articles section, Kirin wrote a lovely article on diagnosing protein-needs.

2. Measure wherever you can fit all your hair in,and when you measure depends on hair type. for a curly COer, I'd do it the day of washing. For someone with straighter hair, using shampoo, the day after might be more accurate (tends to have more volume after washing). But whenever you want is fine, I guess. xD

After that, you take a tape measure or a piece of string, wrap it around the ponytail, and either a) look at the measurement, or b) hold the string to a ruler. That's your circumference.

coscass
February 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
1. When you can pull your hair and it basically snaps right away, then you -really- need protein. Otherwise, barring having fine or damaged hair, you should be fine. If you look in the articles section, Kirin wrote a lovely article on diagnosing protein-needs.

That doesn't happen, so I guess I don't need it. I was just wondering because I've heard it can get moisture overload.

GlassEyes
February 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Yep, it's possible--but pretty damn hard with my hair, and I would guess with most curly-haired folks.