PDA

View Full Version : Thick haired folk, unite!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gemma
February 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
I was chatting about knot buns with someone on the forum recently, and we both mentioned that our thick hair often made styles that we should be able to do with our length almost useless. I spent months trying to figure out how to do a knot bun with my hair and kept getting more and more frustrated since it never worked. I'd watch all the videos, seeing that their length was basically the same as mine, and yet it never worked! Finally, I found a video that did not do the usual wrap around the hand before going into the knot, and voila! success. :)

So, I thought it might be useful to start a thread where those of us with thick (or layered since that often causes the same problem) hair could discuss workarounds for styles that are proving problematic.

Share tips, commiserate, etc!

Peter
February 21st, 2010, 11:18 AM
When my hair was too short to do a single braid down my back, I would split my hair in half and do two braids. I imagine it's more socially acceptable for women as well. :D

That's all I can think of for now.

girloctopus
February 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Oh this is so the thread for me!!

I have a 5.25" ponytail circumference, so I struggle to do a lot of updos although I'm at hip length :( I've been trying to figure out a workaround to Spidermom's bun that stays because my combination of thick hair and small hands are not working out too well!

I'd love to hear how you do that knot bun, Gemma. I haven't had much luck with any of that type of bun. I desperately want to do a celtic knot someday :( Probably at classic or more!

Bunnyhare
February 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM
i am glad you started this Gemma, because i have that problem but thought i was just incapable of doing them..i realized just recently that is why it took so long for me to be able to the lazy wrap when others did it at shorter lengths! i have both thick and layered :justy: hair....I will be watching for answers! i have learned that seperating the levels of layers(top layer into 1 braid,middle layer into one braid etc) and placing them seperaltely seems to help with the layers not sticking out and spreading the thickness around..

chopandchange
February 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
Another person with both thick AND layered hair checking in!:)

girloctopus
February 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
i am glad you started this Gemma, because i have that problem but thought i was just incapable of doing them..i realized just recently that is why it took so long for me to be able to the lazy wrap when others did it at shorter lengths! i have both thick and layered :justy: hair....I will be watching for answers! i have learned that seperating the levels of layers(top layer into 1 braid,middle layer into one braid etc) and placing them seperaltely seems to help with the layers not sticking out and spreading the thickness around..

I have trouble with the lazy wrap bun as well. The bulk of my wrap around is hard for my stick to get over, and I've snapped a stick (or two :o) when overtorquing. To work around it, I've been doing the initial wrap around two or three fingers, rather than one, and gently tugging on the loop when wrapping to make sure that I have a large enough loop to go over my wrapped length. I hope this helps!

lapushka
February 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm at BSL (layered, iii) and most buns are out of my reach. I'm going to have to be patient, I guess.

Gemma
February 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Oh this is so the thread for me!!

I have a 5.25" ponytail circumference, so I struggle to do a lot of updos although I'm at hip length :( I've been trying to figure out a workaround to Spidermom's bun that stays because my combination of thick hair and small hands are not working out too well!

I'd love to hear how you do that knot bun, Gemma. I haven't had much luck with any of that type of bun. I desperately want to do a celtic knot someday :( Probably at classic or more!

I finally figured it out when I found a video on YouTube entirely by accident. :) You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POe9Bs5yNGE I still struggle with it a little but with practice it's all coming together!

The lazy wrap bun like the one here? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72

I have had the same problem! I have to pin my ends really firmly or it just totally falls apart. I think I will call it 'Gemma's NOT-so lazy wrap'. ;)

Another 'general' style I like is to do a half-up and then braid the length. I put a nice barrette over the half-up base to make it seem fancy. I need to take a picture sometime to show it off. I actually really dig the 'segmented' look it gives to the braid.

coscass
February 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
You know... Now that I think about it, maybe this is why a lot of my buns wouldn't stay up. A combination of inexperience, and thick, long hair.

lapushka
February 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hey, you guys! For those of us in need for some inspiration? Torrin has thick hair too and she has more than a few hair styles up on YouTube. It's comforting to know that there are lots of updos possible for iii hair.

Anyway, I am still gonna have to be patient for most updos. Layered BSL hair is just not gonna cut it. I doubt that apart from maybe a peacock twist, a cinnabun, a french twist and some braids that there are much options at this stage.

coscass
February 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Lapushka, I agree. Torrin has some great styles I've watched and then tried.

Pixna
February 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
This is an interesting thread. I used to think I had thin hair because I was measuring the DIAMETER of my pony rather than the circumference! :doh: For some reason, I thought thick hair meant your pony DIAMETER was over four inches! I guess I imagined people with thick hair carried a tree trunk on their heads! :laugh:

My hair is not all that long right now (about 1.5 inches from APL), but I am having one heckuva time bunning. In part, I can't figure out how to do a lot of buns because I'm left-handed and have trouble "reversing" the directions. But another big challenge is that thick hair at shorter lengths makes it almost impossible to do a bun (or have it stay in). I'm hoping when my hair gets longer it will be a little easier -- but from what you all have said so far, maybe not. :shrug:

Roseate
February 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Oh, me too! I am just brushing BSL stretched, and and too thick to do any single-strand buns yet.

Dividing my hair is my main solution, even if I'm doing a single bun- I'll make a small bun with half my hair and then wind the rest around it. It requires pins, but pins are the best solution for me up until about waist length, when sticks start working better. I usually use 3" roller pins, though I'm eager to try some of the fancier kinds (amish, bunheads).

Pixna
February 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Roseate, have you tried doing a Pencil Bun? It's sort of like a divided bun. I am able to do one and have it hold with just a single stick. It holds very securely, too, which I love. It's the only bun I've been able to do (with my length and thickness).

Roseate
February 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
Pixna, is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) the pencil bun you mean? I try this one about a billion times a day! My hair is almost long enough for this one, but not quite. Once I wrap my hair around my hand there's only about an inch sticking out, so it doesn't get trapped the way it should.

Bunnyhare
February 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
i do alot of one buns with the top half then braid the rest or second bun, or wrap around like the vortex bun that cinnamoncurls made..
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27288
that is the tread about it, very stable and good for lots of hair but takes along time to do and lots of pins..
If i do the lazy wrap that is here in the articles, it looks nothing like everyone elses and the ends always escape...i HATE layers. what was i thinking!
but i am to waist with my longest layer and about 1 1/2 inches above with the next up layer...
When i joined i said i would start trimming the layers out when i got to waist but now it doesn't feel that long and i really am thinking, maybe i will start at TB...

curlylocks85
February 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
I was chatting about knot buns with someone on the forum recently, and we both mentioned that our thick hair often made styles that we should be able to do with our length almost useless. I spent months trying to figure out how to do a knot bun with my hair and kept getting more and more frustrated since it never worked. I'd watch all the videos, seeing that their length was basically the same as mine, and yet it never worked! Finally, I found a video that did not do the usual wrap around the hand before going into the knot, and voila! success. :)

So, I thought it might be useful to start a thread where those of us with thick (or layered since that often causes the same problem) hair could discuss workarounds for styles that are proving problematic.

Share tips, commiserate, etc!

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been wondering as my hair gets longer if I was going to be able to do upstyles with my thick hair.

I do not think it is impossible. All we neeed to do is unite and come up with alternantives.

Ready, set, :draw:, I mean style. :p

Pixna
February 21st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Pixna, is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) the pencil bun you mean? I try this one about a billion times a day! My hair is almost long enough for this one, but not quite. Once I wrap my hair around my hand there's only about an inch sticking out, so it doesn't get trapped the way it should.

Yes, that's the one Roseate. It took me about 50 tries to finally figure out how to make it work for me. My hair is shorter than yours, so I would think you could do it. Perhaps you can spend a bit of time see how you could adapt it. Once I got it sorted out (for my length and thickness), I fell in love with it. It's my daily (and only) bun, and that's enough for me. :)

little_cherry
February 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
When I had BSL hair, updos were a nightmare! My hair was so heavy that I used to get constant headaches, so I wore it down or in a loose pony. When I did bun it, i had to split the hair first. My diameter is around 4 or so inches.

Roseate
February 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM
Yes, that's the one Roseate. It took me about 50 tries to finally figure out how to make it work for me. My hair is shorter than yours, so I would think you could do it. Perhaps you can spend a bit of time see how you could adapt it. Once I got it sorted out (for my length and thickness), I fell in love with it. It's my daily (and only) bun, and that's enough for me. :)

Well, I'm gonna keep trying! I'm not exaggerating about how often I try it; it's become a habit, whenever I have my hair down I am constantly wrapping it around my hand and making an attempt at either this or the lazy wrap. I'll get there!

little_acorn
February 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Me I'm joining in!! I also have layered (growing out), thick hair too (just over 4 inches pony) and have just past BSL and into the mid back abyss (1-2 inches to waist). I too have broken hair sticks and forks battling to do buns that other people with my length can do. Today, I have a victory, I fought the Nautilus bun and WON :cheese:

Gemma
February 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Me I'm joining in!! I also have layered (growing out), thick hair too (just over 4 inches pony) and have just past BSL and into the mid back abyss (1-2 inches to waist). I too have broken hair sticks and forks battling to do buns that other people with my length can do. Today, I have a victory, I fought the Nautilus bun and WON :cheese:

Little_acorn conquers the bun!! Congrats! :flower:

Hey, you guys! For those of us in need for some inspiration? Torrin has thick hair too and she has more than a few hair styles up on YouTube. It's comforting to know that there are lots of updos possible for iii hair.

Anyway, I am still gonna have to be patient for most updos. Layered BSL hair is just not gonna cut it. I doubt that apart from maybe a peacock twist, a cinnabun, a french twist and some braids that there are much options at this stage.

Yes, Torrin is awesome! I love watching her videos. I actually tried out one of her styles yesterday. Gratuitous pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3247a.jpg

It's noticeably crooked (I find it really hard to braid my hair neatly on my left side) but I love the style! It looks so complicated but is super comfy and stays solid despite my flyaway layers.

Dementia1013
February 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Oh heck yes I'm joining.
My Rose buns and braided buns are a joke because I can't swirl them around too many times because of the girth of the braid. :(
So When my hair is somewhere areound classic length or beyond, I will be able to make better looking buns.

Arrow Juniper
February 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM
Yes, I'm joining this thread :) I have thick, heavy hair that I usually just let hang free. I'm new and inexperienced, so for a while I'll just watch and build up my courage to try to put my hair up at least once in awhile.

Bunnyhare
February 21st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Little_Acorn,Dementia1013, and Arrow Juniper!
I have not watched any of Torrin Page's videos, guess I need to do that..anyone have a link for a computer mis-fit?...
Little_Acorn, i still can't do the nautilus bun, CONGRATS! and can someone tell me, is the figure 8 bun the infinity bun, but turned vertical? won't be able to do that until I hit knee..

Bunnyhare
February 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM
GEMMA
That braid looks beautiful! I can't even do the left side, its like the brain won't trade sides or something!? you did great!
Guess it's just practice..GAH

Gemma
February 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Oh heck yes I'm joining.
My Rose buns and braided buns are a joke because I can't swirl them around too many times because of the girth of the braid. :(
So When my hair is somewhere areound classic length or beyond, I will be able to make better looking buns.

I feel you on the braided buns. :( I have to make a ponytail, braid, and then wrap for it to stay and even then it looks really small and messy.

Here's my best attempt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3125.jpg

Look how teeny and misshapen it is! I still like the style because it's rock-solid but I can't wait until it looks fuller.

GEMMA
That braid looks beautiful! I can't even do the left side, its like the brain won't trade sides or something!? you did great!
Guess it's just practice..GAH

Aww, thank you, Bunnyhare! :flower: You can find Torrin's YouTube page here: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

reishka
February 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
Little_acorn conquers the bun!! Congrats! :flower:

Yes, Torrin is awesome! I love watching her videos. I actually tried out one of her styles yesterday. Gratuitous pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3247a.jpg

It's noticeably crooked (I find it really hard to braid my hair neatly on my left side) but I love the style! It looks so complicated but is super comfy and stays solid despite my flyaway layers.

That's really cute!!

Count me in for this thread... I'm FINALLY getting to the length where I can make a simple bun and have it stick with just a stick instead of a gazillion bobby pins, or trying to braid it and having it only wrap around once. I'm almost to waist... it's frustrating to see all these awesome ladies doing awesome hairstyles at the same length as I am, and being unable to do it myself. I can't even do an infinity bun.. I end up with 3/4ths of an infinity and a little tail that flops over the centre :( It's a shame, really, because if it wasn't for that, it'd be the most comfortable thing to do with my hair right now.

LadyJennifer
February 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Yay for thick hair:)
Now I'm going to peruse the thread to find neat tips:)

myrrhmaiden
February 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Me. I have thick and layered. Even though I'm at BSL doing a single braid is next to impossible. It just looks wrong the thickness it is at this length. I think it will be waist before it looks proportional. I'll be stalking this thread too.

LadyJennifer
February 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
This is an interesting thread. I used to think I had thin hair because I was measuring the DIAMETER of my pony rather than the circumference! :doh: For some reason, I thought thick hair meant your pony DIAMETER was over four inches! I guess I imagined people with thick hair carried a tree trunk on their heads! :laugh:

My hair is not all that long right now (about 1.5 inches from APL), but I am having one heckuva time bunning. In part, I can't figure out how to do a lot of buns because I'm left-handed and have trouble "reversing" the directions. But another big challenge is that thick hair at shorter lengths makes it almost impossible to do a bun (or have it stay in). I'm hoping when my hair gets longer it will be a little easier -- but from what you all have said so far, maybe not. :shrug:

I'm a leftie too:D

Bunnyhare
February 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you ,Gemma for the link, i will have to go try her styles!

Pixna
February 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Gemma, your braid and bun are beautiful! :toast:

Congratulations, Little Acorn! :applause

Lady Jennifer, it's great to see another lefty here! :redgrin:

Gemma
February 22nd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Gemma, your braid and bun are beautiful! :toast:

Congratulations, Little Acorn! :applause

Lady Jennifer, it's great to see another lefty here! :redgrin:

Thanks, Pixna! :) I'm hoping more folks will post pics throughout the thread so we can really see what we're talking about. I also feel like we're hard on ourselves so it will be nice if we can encourage each other over our style adaptions (or the few styles we can achieve!).

Thank you ,Gemma for the link, i will have to go try her styles!

You're very welcome! Have fun with it. :)

chargersfan
February 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Checking in! Crazy thick hair that I can't do anything with b/c it's waaay too thick! I'd love to get more ideas from this thread.

Kaijah
February 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Thickish and uber-layered chiming in! My braids are kind of hilarious. About BSL and above they're like "HELLO. I AM A BRAID." and then the old layered cuts and such start to show as it progresses down and it trickles out to "yeah I'm still here... no, really, I am!" :rolleyes: I can't wait 'till all my hair has grown out to something I can remeasure easier in a ponytail. It was something like ~4.25 inches when I first joined and the layering was higher up.

So it goes. Silly braids and cinnabuns are pretty much my mainstays... Even with the taper I can't manage many twisty type buns. The french twist and figure 8/infinity both foil me endlessly (though I think the FT is more my ability that anything).

girloctopus
February 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one in my updo frustration! I just also recently conquered the Nautilus bun like little_acorn, and I'm glad to add it to my repertoire, even though I have to make a few attempts before getting a comfortable result. My mainstay seems to be the swirly bun, either the regular style or the EvaSimone variation, but at my thickness my hair is just barely long enough for it. :p

I've been doing a lot of Dianyla-style English braids lately as well, and those are fairly comfortable and a good way to show off the length. Well, somewhat. My midway between hip and tailbone hair gets shortened to about waist when braiding tightly. How frustrating! :rolleyes:

For those who can't do a figure 8, I suggest not twisting the bun part as tightly. I can just barely make one when I twist lightly, so it winds up more like a wrapped figure 8.

I definitely want to try out that knot bun, Gemma. I hope it works out as well for me as it does for you!

little_acorn
February 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I agree with the 'don't over twist' - I really struggle to do much if I twist my hair too much to bun it

Beets
February 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hey, y'all! Whew! I KNEW there was a reason I couldn't get these updo's to work; I like to consider myself a somewhat clever girl (on my good days), but something was definitely not turning out like all the pretty pictures!

I'm at about 4.75, I think, so on the thin side of thick, but with my almost-hip length hair, it's a trick to get past the first go-round of any of the fancier buns.

Little Acorn, hooray for the Nautilus! It's really the only one I bothered to memorize, since I got it to look decent fairly consistently.

Gemma, cute braids!

Gemma
February 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
My midway between hip and tailbone hair gets shortened to about waist when braiding tightly. How frustrating! :rolleyes:

For those who can't do a figure 8, I suggest not twisting the bun part as tightly. I can just barely make one when I twist lightly, so it winds up more like a wrapped figure 8.

I definitely want to try out that knot bun, Gemma. I hope it works out as well for me as it does for you!

I so feel you on the braid vs length issue! It's always been a dream of mine to have a really long, heavy braid (like Sally in Practical Magic *cough*) but my hair looks so much shorter in a standard braid. I've found that it seems longer if I put it into a high ponytail and then braid it, however. Plus, that's a great style for work as it keeps my growing out front layers away from my face.

I think with your length, you'll definitely be able to pull off a beautiful knot bun, girloctopus. :flower:

Hey, y'all! Whew! I KNEW there was a reason I couldn't get these updo's to work; I like to consider myself a somewhat clever girl (on my good days), but something was definitely not turning out like all the pretty pictures!

I'm at about 4.75, I think, so on the thin side of thick, but with my almost-hip length hair, it's a trick to get past the first go-round of any of the fancier buns.

Little Acorn, hooray for the Nautilus! It's really the only one I bothered to memorize, since I got it to look decent fairly consistently.

Gemma, cute braids!

Thank you! And welcome to the club. :D

Dementia1013
February 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
I feel you on the braided buns. :( I have to make a ponytail, braid, and then wrap for it to stay and even then it looks really small and messy.

Here's my best attempt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3125.jpg

Look how teeny and misshapen it is! I still like the style because it's rock-solid but I can't wait until it looks fuller.

Aww, thank you, Bunnyhare! :flower: You can find Torrin's YouTube page here: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

What I do for Braided buns to help distribute weight at to make a solid foundation is to first dutch braid the hair. Then I start twisting the hair cinna bun style. It's very secure and once I have some longer hair will look much better.

SheaLynne
February 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
This is ME!!!! This is the reason I found LHC. I could NOT figure out why I couldn't do the updos in my hair styling for long hair book...haha Then I found out that what they call long is not really long at all and I would have to grow much longer to be able to actually put my hair up! LOL

So, to recap some of the others...I can do the lazy wrap by wrapping around fewer fingers and really tucking the ends and fitting the outer loop down over the end loops.

I also achieved a Spidermom's bun that stays for the first time today. I am 4.75" diameter (before my growing out fringe reaches the length to be included in that) and hip length when stretched. I have a U hemline but I've been steadily trimming layers out with monthly trims.

On braided buns, I find I get the best result by doing a French braid that pulls the additions to the strands from the opposite side, braiding to the end of the tail, and then wrapping the tail around the whole thing, so there looks like more braid length than there is...hard to explain. There's a pic in my updo album.

GREAT tip on not overtwisting. I'll have to try that on a few I've been working on getting down.

And I love TorrinPaige's videos.

Thanks for this thread!

girloctopus
February 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
So I tried out the knot bun, and my first attempt is messy because I STILL don't have enough length to wrap around neatly (sob), but it is stable and comfortable so I'm keeping it for today! Thanks Gemma! Hopefully I can learn to neaten it up. It seems pretty similar to CinnamonHair's Celtic knot I've been trying to do. :D

vamq
February 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I don't have extremely thick hair, but I find that my updo's are getting heavier and heavier lately. I have trouble putting it up in a way it will stay up.

The only updo that really, really works for me lately is this one, because I can replace the claw clips with bigger ones every time. ^^'
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2926&pictureid=58300
You can't see it in this pic, but there are tons of pins holding this bun up.
I'm gonna try some new buns when I have some spare time.

I noticed amish (or shaped like) pins really helps to keep the top of a bun up.
I'm looking for something to keep up the bottom. I always used claw clips, but the really big ones hurt my neck.

I'll be following this thread with interest :)

chargersfan
February 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
So, question for all the thick-haired ladies: Do you have a favorite go-to hairtoy? I'm struggling with finding something for holding it up. I bought a large Ficcare & X-Large Flexi-8 and was frustrated to find out I would like them both to be larger than they are. Right now I am liking Ketylo hairsticks, but would like to try a fork. Is there a favorite fork for heavy, thick hair?

Bunnyhare
February 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Thickish and uber-layered chiming in! My braids are kind of hilarious. About BSL and above they're like "HELLO. I AM A BRAID." and then the old layered cuts and such start to show as it progresses down and it trickles out to "yeah I'm still here... no, really, I am!"

This SO made me laugh, mine do the exact same and this captures it perfectly!

Gemma
February 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
So I tried out the knot bun, and my first attempt is messy because I STILL don't have enough length to wrap around neatly (sob), but it is stable and comfortable so I'm keeping it for today! Thanks Gemma! Hopefully I can learn to neaten it up. It seems pretty similar to CinnamonHair's Celtic knot I've been trying to do. :D

Yah! I'm glad you were successful. :) I am sure you'll get it looking neat in no time!

So, question for all the thick-haired ladies: Do you have a favorite go-to hairtoy? I'm struggling with finding something for holding it up. I bought a large Ficcare & X-Large Flexi-8 and was frustrated to find out I would like them both to be larger than they are. Right now I am liking Ketylo hairsticks, but would like to try a fork. Is there a favorite fork for heavy, thick hair?

I used my Ketylo sticks soooo much when I first got them. They hold so well! I don't have a huge selection of forks but my very favourite in terms of hold is my large bird's eye maple from Grahtoestudio (pic in my album: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3796&pictureid=54321). It has 4 tines and I chose the stone for it myself. This thing holds like a rock but doesn't pull at my hair or feel heavy. I absolutely adore it!

I have some copper forks from MairzyDozy that I love a great deal but I do feel them catch on my hair, and the wide tines means I need to place them just so in order to keep styles firmly anchored. I also have a small fork from Etta Mae that is great for almost-self-holding styles like knots. Still doesn't feel as secure as my Grahtoe, though.

From what I have experienced and read, forks for thick hair seems to be a juggling act between enough tines that are close enough to give a firm hold, whilst not being SO close that they get ejected from your hair!

mira-chan
February 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Thick-ish and tapered (not layered, fairy taled). I got to a length where I could do a lot more things with it at around tailbone. Now is a good length for a lot of styles and I'm at about thigh length.

Due to the thickness difference between the base and the ends no knot stays without a fork or similar.

I like Ficcare, I do not clip them over the thickest part of the style (I'm starting to need two if I try that) I go for a strategic edge that will hold the whole thing.

As for forks I love my 6" 60th street 3-prong fork. Super sturdy and just the right length.

girloctopus
February 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM

I hear you on both the ficcare and flexi-8 issues! I have a XXL flexi and it is too small. It's even on the large end of the xxl and is still too small! And I believe that I have outgrown my ficcares. Unless I start using two, but I believe that I'd rather just stick to hairsticks and forks rather than dropping $80+ for a pair of ficcares.

Anyway. Hairsticks. I love the metal sticks from Nightblooming. Ketylos are amazing as well. I use the long seven inch ones and as long as I take care not to overtorque, they don't break. I have some Graydog sticks that I love as well.

For forks, I love my ones from Grah-Toe Studios especially. I also have a Graydog fork which I love, even though it does not curve to the head but is flat instead, and my super adored ebony fork with lignum vitae lotus inlay from Etta Mae/Delshire Woods.

I hope to expand into some new hair accessories at some point, but hairsticks and forks are my mainstays.

MandyBeth
February 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Is there a favorite fork for heavy, thick hair?

Grah-toe Studios! My avatar photo is my Lilliputian fork with not much of my hair up, but that fork holds a LOT of hair and it holds it like a rock. That attempt of a mess is also putting my hair more into an infinity type hold - and the fork holds it instead of falling out and laughing at me.

My not-quite-shoulder length hair is currently busy spitting out M flexi-8s as there is too much twist to get the wire over, but then not enough of a base to get the wire to stick in the notch. I used less hair to make it stay, but hrmph. I just barely have enough for a proper complete Peacock twist, but noooo, I don't have a hair toy that will hold it up.

I've got a wider set fork thing in today, and while it's pretty - the bun is actually held in with pins and clips, not the fork. Oh well. It's not quite a 1/3 of my hair, in a double rope braid (make two rope braids, then twist them together), then wrapped around with the end tucked under and clipped down Then the fork pretty, then two or three pins holding everything in place.

Hrrmmm, what else I have figured out...

Thin metal sticks (8g to 12g wire - 2 - 3mm) do not stay in my hair without significant number of pins to hold them in place, thus defeating the point of using a stick.

Amish pins (or two proned forks) are also a similar failure in my hair if they are of similar diameter. I've got fairly heavy metal forks off Etsy, and those hold pretty well, tho not as well as my Grah-toe fork.

Keep a conditioner or similar item on hand at all times. Use frequently in tangle prone areas or to smooth floaty ends.

If you have fine AND thick hair - S&D will simply make you (or sweet loving DBF who was trying to do so with my hair) cross eyed.

To hold a braid end - a metal flexible clip or a little no-damage rubbery (latex I think? they come in clear and black mostly) bands are about all that holds my hair. I've given up with the normal elastics, as all I can do with them is break them. The no break bands will break my hair if I pull them out, but if I use a little bit of coney-serum, they will break down and thus easily removed with no breakage.

I've admitted defeat in my no cone attempts. My hair does not like a no-cone diet. If my hair wants cones, I give up and will give it cones.

Kaijah
February 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
I've never managed to get a u-pin/Amish pin/bent knitting needle to work in my hair. They either bend/snap or just get spit out. :confused:

Definitely echoing the love for Ketylo sticks. They're pretty much the only sticks my hair doesn't spit out in two minutes. Has anyone tried their forks? I'm curious, but somehow worried they won't work as well as the sticks alone...

And ditto the large Ficcares. I just got one, and just *looking* at it, I couldn't help but wonder if they'd maybe messed up and sent me a medium instead of a large (they didn't). It holds and all, but I think they'll be something I outgrow relatively quickly... They need an XL+ Maximas.

Thirding the Grah-Toe forks recommendation! I've been wearing mine almost every day since I got it (which I admit wasn't long ago), but toys show their strength early with me. They either work or snap. :D Fork is gorgeous, sturdy, and holds like a nobody's business. I might put myself in the poorhouse buying more in different woods. *lol*

Dementia1013
February 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM

I've been trying to be more diverse in my hairtoys, though I do seem to reach for my Shilaleigh stick above the rest... Closely followed by the D20's and African butterfly. (Not the Ez combs, but the the big THICK ones for more hair)

I recently purchased some Bijoux manoel forks and now find that I'm not very good at french twists.... I can do Hypnotica's french twist hair slide with ease, but have trouble with the actual french twist. Any suggestions for Thick tailbone length hair? Every time I twist it up, one side looks fine, but the other side just wigs out and lifts off my head! :mad:

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Capybara
February 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
This is a very good thread!

I find that things like bobby pins absolutely do not work in my hair. The first time I tried to do a french twist, with only bobby pins, TOTAL FAIL :D ... And the girl in the video made it look so easy. But I've learned since then :p

Sisko
February 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Argh, bobby pins!

Hello thick-haired folk. My hair can't seem to make its mind up as to whether it falls into the iii category or not. Measuring my ponytail circumference has given me very inconsistent results (anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 inches). Is it possible for individual hair strands to, eh, swell?

What I do know is that I have a fairly thick braid (see below), bobby pins refuse to hold my hair up, and a French Twist is only possible with jaw clips - a version of Hypnotica's style.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4896&pictureid=64759

Oh, and Ketylos are indeed wonderful things. :thumbsup:

girloctopus
February 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that I just picked up some 3" bunheads pins, and I love them. Four held up a cinnabun all day! I ordered some hair scroos to try out as well, and I am hopeful that those will hold up crisscrossed (Heidi) braids securely. I can't figure out how to pin them down with the bunheads.

My knot bun ended up pulling oddly (I do think I will need more length to handle it :rolleyes:), so I took it down and tried the JJJ pretzel bun, which actually ended up working really well! In her video, she wraps her tail around the looped base twice and I only had enough length to do it once, but it worked out really well and held firmly with two stainless steel sticks in a crossed fashion.

Pixna
February 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Hello thick-haired folk. My hair can't seem to make its mind up as to whether it falls into the iii category or not. Measuring my ponytail circumference has given me very inconsistent results (anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 inches). Is it possible for individual hair strands to, eh, swell?

I get inconsistent measurements, too. My hair is much more "fluffy" right after it has been washed and air dried. After bunning for a day or two, it "shrinks" a bit and seems less voluminous. I'm curious what others have to say about this and what (and when) might be the most accurate way to measure volume.

What I do know is that I have a fairly thick braid (see below), bobby pins refuse to hold my hair up, and a French Twist is only possible with jaw clips - a version of Hypnotica's style.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4896&pictureid=64759

You DO have a very thick braid -- from all appearances, I would say your hair is iii, at least from looking at your braid (which is gorgeous, by the way).

curlylocks85
February 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I get inconsistent measurements, too. My hair is much more "fluffy" right after it has been washed and air dried. After bunning for a day or two, it "shrinks" a bit and seems less voluminous. I'm curious what others have to say about this and what (and when) might be the most accurate way to measure volume.

This is true for me as well, some days my hair is very full and voluminous, and others it looks less so. I am not sure of a standard, but I measured my pony circumference after air-drying. I figured that my hair would be in its natural state volume and all and it would be most accurate.

I will watch this thread too to see how others measure.

florenonite
February 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I'm thick and layered! My favourite hair toy is a 5" spiral dymondwood stick, I think it's a Graydog (though it might be Ketylo?). It holds brilliantly, though now that my hair's at waist my buns are starting to eat it. I think I can get a couple more inches' use out of it, though, depending on the styles I do. I like its shortness because it doesn't get in the way.

girloctopus
February 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
This is true for me as well, some days my hair is very full and voluminous, and others it looks less so. I am not sure of a standard, but I measured my pony circumference after air-drying. I figured that my hair would be in its natural state volume and all and it would be most accurate.

I will watch this thread too to see how others measure.

Oh dear. I hadn't even thought of that! I measured my ponytail circumference on a few days after washing hair, when it was more compactable. If that's 5.25", I fear to measure on my poofy after wash air dried hair :shudder:

Margeaux
February 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Cool, I've just browsed through your contributions and I'll definitely be watching this thread. I, too, have issues with updos - my hair is thick and curly.

Brownie
February 23rd, 2010, 08:21 AM

My hair does that all the time :rolleyes: It's annoying... I think I'm on the thin side of thick, though. I have got problems with putting my hair up as well. I mostly wear braids, I can't find updos that stay in place and don't pull/cause headaches.

Bunnyhare
February 23rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
FOr most updos, i find a fork is the most comfortable for me, and 4 tines seems to feel the best to me, very even and no wierd pressures that cause head aches or hair/scalp aches.

I also have fallen in love with amish pins, 4-6 of those babies and my buns is solid and not too tight...then i can stick a "pretty" in and not worry about it breaking or not holding. If you have not tried amish pins you need to. ANd ravenslair sells them decorated! 4 work just fine for me, i am waist, layered and on the thin side of thick. If they are decorated i like more to even the sparklies out!

Over the last 2 days i have not been able to get my regular twisty- thing- bun to stay up at all, i think i may be crossing into a new length and it just suddenly changed the balance of the whole thing...it feels wierd,i had such a flow to the bun i usually do...

Sheltie_Momma
February 23rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
What a great helpful thread. I can only just do a nautilus, but it has to be on wet hair. I can also do a chinese bun and a cinnabun - again it has to be done on wet hair or it's hopeless. The biggest problem I have is my rose bun, when I put my hair in a pony tail and then rope braid it and then go to bun the braid, that first twist closest to the top of the base of the pony tail is HUGE, like a giant knot in the center. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else have this?

Bunnyhare
February 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
What a great helpful thread. I can only just do a nautilus, but it has to be on wet hair. I can also do a chinese bun and a cinnabun - again it has to be done on wet hair or it's hopeless. The biggest problem I have is my rose bun, when I put my hair in a pony tail and then rope braid it and then go to bun the braid, that first twist closest to the top of the base of the pony tail is HUGE, like a giant knot in the center. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else have this?

When i do my rose bun braid with ropes i do not use a pony holder at the base, i just start with both halves of my hair and twist...
Actually, i hate ponytail holders . when i rarely do them it's an old panyhose ring...

MandyBeth
February 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I don't know if it's a thick hair issue or what. There are so few things I can manage with my hair - given that it's short and there is too freaking much of it - so I have my few basic stand-by hair styles. When my hair actually gains an 1/2", ACK!!!! Now it doesn't work again and I've got ends that won't go where I want them, and blech. So then I'm trying to find what WILL work with my hair.

Which is still about nothing.

KarpatiiSiv
February 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Great idea for a thread. I've always had problems with updos and never really knew why until I joined LHC and realised that having a ponytail circumference of about 4.5 inches was part of the problem. I have found that as my hair has got longer with some taper (nearly tailbone), I am able to do more updos that stay and are comfortable. I still struggle with any form of knot bun but can do a figure 8 quite well so long as I don't twist the hair too much. Ketylos and forks (60th Street) hold my hair the best. :D

Gemma
February 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
I am so glad I started this thread because I really felt like I was the only one who just couldn't get styles to work!! Hopefully we can all come up with a few solutions. I know I feel so pretty when I successfully manage a new style. :)

SheaLynne
February 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
when I put my hair in a pony tail and then rope braid it and then go to bun the braid, that first twist closest to the top of the base of the pony tail is HUGE, like a giant knot in the center. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone else have this?

YES!! That is the exact reason I haven't worn a rose bun out of the house yet, even though I LOVE how they look on others. Maybe doing two rope braids from the one pony and wrapping them both...maybe that would get the look without the huge first twist?

florenonite
February 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
I've been doing rose buns since about BSL by doing two rope braids and wrapping them both around.

girloctopus
February 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I've been doing rose buns since about BSL by doing two rope braids and wrapping them both around.

Do you start the braids with individual bands right next to each other, or are they from the same ponytail? I'd love to try this rose bun out!

florenonite
February 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Do you start the braids with individual bands right next to each other, or are they from the same ponytail? I'd love to try this rose bun out!

I do it from the same ponytail :)

girloctopus
February 24th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I do it from the same ponytail :)

Thanks! I also forgot to ask if you keep them about the same thickness as well. Do you have any pictures of this style?

Sheltie_Momma
February 24th, 2010, 08:41 AM

Florenite - we need a thick hair rose bun tutorial! Puh-leez??? :eyebrows:

Phalaenopsis
February 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I just suffered until my hair was long enough :o I must admit, it's kind of disappointing. I have almost hiplength hair and I'm still not able to do certain updos..

florenonite
February 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks! I also forgot to ask if you keep them about the same thickness as well. Do you have any pictures of this style?

It appears I don't have any pictures of it, I'll do this later and take some, though!

Florenite - we need a thick hair rose bun tutorial! Puh-leez??? :eyebrows:

I'll provide one soon. I haven't got any pictures of the process, so I'll do it this evening and take them :)

Pixna
February 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Woohoo! I just mastered the Magic Knot Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI) today! :happydance:

That means I have 2 buns in my repertoire -- this one and the Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34)! What I love about both of these buns is that they do not come out looking huge and they are VERY secure and flat/close to the head. I'm sure once my hair gets longer I'll have a few more options, but if anyone is looking for 2 updos for shorter, thicker hair, these are both wonderful.

florenonite
February 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Woohoo! I just mastered the Magic Knot Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI) today! :happydance:

That means I have 2 buns in my repertoire -- this one and the Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34)! What I love about both of these buns is that they do not come out looking huge and they are VERY secure and flat/close to the head. I'm sure once my hair gets longer I'll have a few more options, but if anyone is looking for 2 updos for shorter, thicker hair, these are both wonderful.

Thanks for the link for the Magic Knot Bun; I can get it to hold in my hair quite comfortably. I've been doing the Pencil Bun a lot over the past few months, though I put the stick in diagonally from the right to the left rather than horizontally.

Pixna
February 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the link for the Magic Knot Bun; I can get it to hold in my hair quite comfortably. I've been doing the Pencil Bun a lot over the past few months, though I put the stick in diagonally from the right to the left rather than horizontally.

My pleasure, florenonite. Chloe, the inventor of the Magic Knot bun, said that as her hair has gotten longer, she wraps it around the stick twice before turning the stick. That's good news to me, as it means I can keep on doing this bun as my hair gets longer. I hope that is helpful to you, too, since your hair is so much longer than mine.

Good tip about putting in the hair stick diagonally for the Pencil Bun. I'm trying to figure out how to get my stick situated better in the Magic Knot Bun (it keeps twisting diagonally, but not on the diagonal I want it to).

MandyBeth
February 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I need to post over here on this bit, forgot :)

I've been emailing Flexi-8 about the sizing - my hair can use either a small or medium pin - but for the small, I need the wire 8 length of a medium. For the medium, I need the large wire.

Will share how this works, if it works.

Sheltie_Momma
February 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
It appears I don't have any pictures of it, I'll do this later and take some, though!

I'll provide one soon. I haven't got any pictures of the process, so I'll do it this evening and take them :)

Aw, thanks! :cheese:

Bunnyhare
February 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
well, i watched Torrin Page's videos and she is so much fun!:0) I CAN do the nautilus bun, but it is a bit more tight than i like to wear my hair..i can't find how to do a figure8 bun anwhere...GAH! can someone post a link for that?

i am thinking i won't be able to do it for a while though, i just got the lazy wrap to start staying/working last week...

For my rose bun, i do one rope braid with the top half of my hair, no pony holder, then rope braid the bottom half of my hair and wrap the top half around like a cinnabun, and then wrap the lower one around the outside of that. I will do it tomorrow and take a picture.

KarpatiiSiv
February 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Bunnyhare I had trouble doing a Figure 8 originally and found that the secret is not to twist the hair too much. I found that if I twisted too much it got very tight and uncomfortable.:D
Have a look at these links http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/message/1048750751/Figure+8+Bun+Instructions+&%3B+clamp+information http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPcVPUt_fo

Fractalsofhair
February 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Any tips on doing ponytails? My hair is currently on my neck, and is long enough for a ponytail, but I can't find a holder that will fit it, because my scrunchies are all loose hold, and my holders are too small now! I can fit it in a holder, but it lasts about 5 minutes before popping.

Gemma
February 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
well, i watched Torrin Page's videos and she is so much fun!:0) I CAN do the nautilus bun, but it is a bit more tight than i like to wear my hair..i can't find how to do a figure8 bun anwhere...GAH! can someone post a link for that?

My favourite guide for figure 8s: http://community.livejournal.com/longhair/2014065.html

:flower:

italianamama
February 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've had a lot of success doing buns in my iii hair by spraying the length with a little bit of water first. Damp hair just holds better. I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps wearing my hair in a daily bun, so I'd like to think I'm an expert :D LOL!

Roseate
February 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Yes! I have conquered the Pencil Bun! I'm so happy about this. It's nice to have a one-stick bun that I can make so quickly. The key for me (and I feel silly I didn't try this earlier) was wrapping the hair around two fingers instead of a full hand.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow- it's still coming out a bit lopsided for me, but each time I do it it looks better. And considering I keep taking it down and trying it again with a different hairtoy, I should be an old pro by tomorrow!

Bellona
February 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I will be watching this thread. iii, at APL with tons of layers. This means I cannot do anything with my hair except a ponytail/messy pony bun (if the elastic holds up) and a not so great looking french braid. I break hair elastics all the time, and it's starting to get on my nerves. I think it's time for me to invest in some hairtoys that will actually work.

girloctopus
February 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Have any of you thick haired ladies and gentlemen tried out the Ketylo forks? How about the 60th Street forks? What prong spacing do you find works well for you?

florenonite
February 25th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=174) the tutorial, complete with pictures :)

Tangerine
February 25th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I like the magic knot bun that Pixna linked to on the previous page!

It did take me about 4 attempts to get it loose enough at the start so I didn't end up giving myself a face lift with the last flip of the stick ...
But once I got it it was pretty comfortable, so yay! And it looks huge and complicated he he :D

I really must try rope braiding sometime, and do a rosebun. Great tutorial, florenonite! :)

Pixna
February 25th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Roseate, I'm so happy to know you have conquered the Pencil Bun. Isn't it wonderful? I use fingers rather than my full hand, too. When my hair gets longer, it's good to know that we can "graduate" into the full-hand method. This bun is a real keeper (in more ways than one)!!

girloctopus, the 60th Street Savannah (3-prong) forks work for me. As much as I'm in awe of the larger, thicker-looking forks (like Grahtoe), thinner ones that don't add more thickness to my bun and hair seem to work better for me. The 60th Street forks are fabulous!

Tangerine, I know what you mean about giving yourself a face lift with the Magic Knot Bun! :laugh: In addition to that, I have to be VERY careful with it because, if I'm not, I can (and have) broken a number of hairs. It's such a great bun, though, that it's worth practicing to figure out how to get it just right. I think it will work better for me once I have a few more inches to my length.

Tomato
February 25th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I' ll keep watching this thread!
my hair is bsl now and until recently to short for a french tuck. Now it's long enough and when I do one the back of my head looks like a furry cat sits on it .....
The ficcare maxima large is getting to small. Half a year ago it was enough to grab my hair and stick the maxima in, now I have to carefully arange my hair and then force the clip in. The strenght of hold has decreased, the clip falls out every now and then.
Maybe I get some layering just in the front to decrease the volume.
I don't feel comfortable with hair sticks, it always feels like they are about to drop put of may hair.:p

curlylocks85
February 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM

This is the link off Torrin's youtube page of how to do the figure 8 and infinity bun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/36/Vyc-1cT9_AE

Bunnyhare
February 25th, 2010, 09:47 AM
thank you curlylocks, for the link, i have the same shirt she is wearing in this video! and her directions were easy to follow, although I am pretty sure i need practice at this....

Bunnyhare
February 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Karpatiisiv,
THank you For the links! it is interesting that they do it the opposite of Torrin Page! it helps me have more options.

KarpatiiSiv
February 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Karpatiisiv,
THank you For the links! it is interesting that they do it the opposite of Torrin Page! it helps me have more options.

It is helpful to have different options.:) For some reason I just could not get it to work doing it the way Torrin showed, even though her instructions were great as always. :confused:

MandyBeth
February 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Have any of you thick haired ladies and gentlemen tried out the Ketylo forks? How about the 60th Street forks? What prong spacing do you find works well for you?

Broke a Ketylo fork in 1 try :rolleyes: Me and my hair toy breaking issues.

Grah-toe Studios fork is the only wood fork I've not destroyed yet.

chargersfan
February 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Yes! I have conquered the Pencil Bun! I'm so happy about this. It's nice to have a one-stick bun that I can make so quickly. The key for me (and I feel silly I didn't try this earlier) was wrapping the hair around two fingers instead of a full hand.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow- it's still coming out a bit lopsided for me, but each time I do it it looks better. And considering I keep taking it down and trying it again with a different hairtoy, I should be an old pro by tomorrow!

I finally got this one to work as well - and like you, I can do it if I wrap it around 2 fingers. Woot!

I was wondering the same - right now, I can really only afford ONE more hairtoy, and I want a fork! So I am spending time trying to narrow it down to the one I want the most. I really like Ketylo hair sticks so I was wondering if their fork would be great as well, but the price tag... well, that stinks (the 3-prong is the one I was looking at). I think I might go for a Grah-toe, but I need to narrow down to which one I want.

MandyBeth
February 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I was wondering the same - right now, I can really only afford ONE more hairtoy, and I want a fork! So I am spending time trying to narrow it down to the one I want the most. I really like Ketylo hair sticks so I was wondering if their fork would be great as well, but the price tag... well, that stinks (the 3-prong is the one I was looking at). I think I might go for a Grah-toe, but I need to narrow down to which one I want.

The Ketylo - I think I like those as sticks, but they don't seem to have enough something to work as a fork real well. Not quite sturdy enough for my hair at least - and I was trying a Gabon Ebony 2 prong. Full disclosure - well, ermmm.... If I'm paying $70 for a hair toy, I want people to SEE that. I don't want some dainty delicate piece that tries to hide in my hair. Nope, I'm getting the big fork that's way too big for me yet (see avatar...) and I'm flaunting it! Which is why, curses, their nice little ebony fork in the new A-line keeps going "Helloo...... Don't you want to adopt me......"

Like, the sea glass barrettes that are sterling silver and cost $200 - oh, if I had the money and enough hair - yup, yup. Isn't it pretty? Hanssen Studios lovely glass and wood designs - absolutely. More Grah-toe Studio forks which are so wonderful as to defy a description of their wonderfulness - yes indeed. More Nightblooming sparkly hair brooches and sticks that are just sparkly and wonderful - I think I like sparkly :)

My credit card is melting just thinking about this.

IndigoAsh
February 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I have a hard time with any bun. Here's what I do.

step #1 section hair a little farther towards the front from half.

step #2 put the sectioned hair in the back in a bun and secure with heavy duty safety pins(sally's carries them). doesn't have to be a perfect bun.

step #3 section the hair in the front in a diagnal part

step #4 wrap whichever side you have first in your hand around the bun and secure. repeat with other side.

It's actually pretty quick to do and adds a little more volume to your hair without issues with the pins getting forced out by hair thickness. I like to add hair sticks I bought from mehandi.com.

hope that helps.

MandyBeth
February 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Oh, one other thing I've learned. While rag curls do not stay in my hair - that means I should NOT curl my hair - not that I should touch up the curls with heat and spray them in place.

Gak. I never do that. The ONE time I did, yeah, my ends are crispy critters.

PearlyCurly
February 26th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I have thick curly hair(but fine strands), its just a little bit past SL.
Im starting to get into hair toys, i just received some flexi-8s and im finding that i will soon need the XL:confused: Im thinking that i will not be able to use these clips once i get to WL(my first goal):(.

Oskimosa
February 27th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Oh, one other thing I've learned. While rag curls do not stay in my hair - that means I should NOT curl my hair - not that I should touch up the curls with heat and spray them in place.

Gak. I never do that. The ONE time I did, yeah, my ends are crispy critters.

Have you tried using flax seed gel? I have heard of people making gel from regular old flax seeds (similar to making tea) and using that for a gel/hairspray substitute. I've been meaning to try it myself.

I'm almost at waist and can't do any updos without extensive use of elastics, which is damaging. It's ok though, I don't care much for updos. (Maybe I would if I could actually DO them, though!) I have a 5.5" pony. I hope to be able to do a figure 8 bun by my goal of hip or tailbone, but i'm getting pessimistic!!

ArUrbEx
February 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Thank goodness for this thread, I thought I was going crazy!

My hair is almost waist length and my pony is right at 5 inches. I thought there was something wrong with me, because I tried and tried to do different hair styles and nothing worked because my hair was so thick. I won't even go into the hair toys I have broken!

Right now my favorite hairstyle is a kind of half version of a celtic knot. I'll see if I can get a video up. My dad calls it my pacman bun, and I can see the resemblance when I use a hair stick.

Juneii
February 27th, 2010, 01:27 AM
many braids at my length look long and pretty. my thick hair makes it look fat and short :(

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Yesterday I washed my hair and I decided after it dried to measure my pony circumference again. The last time I did was when I was still straightening my hair. This time I measured at 6.5" in pony circumference. My goodness that is some thick hair I have. I hope up styles at longer lengths will cooperate somewhat. :p

Oskimosa
February 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yesterday I washed my hair and I decided after it dried to measure my pony circumference again. The last time I did was when I was still straightening my hair. This time I measured at 6.5" in pony circumference. My goodness that is some thick hair I have. I hope up styles at longer lengths will cooperate somewhat. :p

Wooooow! That is one serious head of hair you have then! Do hairdressers always get ticked off while trimming your hair? :lol: I haven't been to one in a long time but the ladies always used to roll their eyes when I'd come in... there goes 1 1/2 hours just trimming one head of hair...

Pixna
February 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Whoa!! 6.5??? WOW!! :thud:

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Wooooow! That is one serious head of hair you have then! Do hairdressers always get ticked off while trimming your hair? :lol: I haven't been to one in a long time but the ladies always used to roll their eyes when I'd come in... there goes 1 1/2 hours just trimming one head of hair...

I definitely would not let anyone who rolled his or her eyes at me when I walked into a salon touch my hair. In fact, I would walk right out.

I have been with the same women for 14 years. She is great and never makes me feel uncomfortable. It does not take that long to cut my hair. I go in, let them wash my hair then she combs out my hair with a wide-tooth comb, trims a 1/2” or less of the ends, and I am done. I just let my hair air-dry.

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM

I said the same thing! I thought I was wrong so I did it three more times and the number was the same.

girloctopus
February 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I thought I was the only one who got the eyeroll! They HATE how long it takes to detangle and section, etc. Now my friend's cousin trims my hair, and she doesn't complain so much, but she always pulls over people to help detangle and section. I'm just going to take in my tangle teezer next time I get a trim. That, in my opinion, is a lifesaver for thick hair!! It just whizzes through my hair.

lapushka
February 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM

I know that attitude. Back when I let stylists dye my hair, they used to sigh when they almost ran out of dye and then started to use the remnants in the bowl *very* sparingly to try and make it through my head of hair. Pitiful. And they always ended up having to open up another tube of dye. Yep, they hated my guts and I don't even have hair that thick (between 4.1 and 4.5). The number of times I've been asked to have it thinned out. :roll:

Dementia1013
February 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Not really trying to rain on parades, but it also has a lot to do of WHEN you measure your hair. After a couple days when my hair is settled with natural sebum my pony is 4.5 Just after a wash though, when it's still nice and full... I can get anywhere from 5.5 to 6+ inches.

Brownie
February 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I have such a hard time accepting my hair... It's getting long, being healthy, the colour is nice. But every time somebody tells my that my hair's extremely thick and beautiful I think that so many people here have nicer hair, thicker braids, bigger buns...

halo_tightens
February 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I love this thread! I can't do ANY of the cool buns that I want to do yet, and it sounds (from what y'all are saying!) like it'll be a long wait.

Out in real life, I've always been used to having the thickest hair around, so it's really cool to see so many people with hair as thick as mine and thicker! I'm not so far out there after all. :)

Roseate
February 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
As promised, a picture of my Pencil Bun! Done with chopsticks. I like that this bun uses long sticks well, so that they hold but don't stick out at a dangerous angle.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4392292809_ef8ff2db0b_m.jpg

Whoo, check the crazy neck hair.

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Not really trying to rain on parades, but it also has a lot to do of WHEN you measure your hair. After a couple days when my hair is settled with natural sebum my pony is 4.5 Just after a wash though, when it's still nice and full... I can get anywhere from 5.5 to 6+ inches.

You didn't. That is how I measure my pony circumference. It seems most approprite becuse that is when my hair is most natural. Yes, if I did meausre a day or two later it would be more like 5 with all the oils I use, but I don't and I am happy that I don't; I love my thick hair! :cheese:

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
As promised, a picture of my Pencil Bun! Done with chopsticks. I like that this bun uses long sticks well, so that they hold but don't stick out at a dangerous angle.

Sweetness!!

Pixna
February 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM

W00T!!! That's a BIG Pencil Bun, Roseate! Mine is so small in comparison. Looks GREAT! Your neck hairs are nothing compared to mine, so take heart -- there could be more of 'em! ;) But I think they look soft and feminine -- they keep us from looking like a tight-bunned mean lady, if ya know what I mean. :o

Eryka
February 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Love this thread. I'm at 4.5in and at knee length. Most up-do's fall right out because of the weight or toys simply don't fit. The returns dept. at Flexi 8 is getting to know me quite well.

Roseate
February 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks Curlylocks and Pixna! It's true, my bun is already trying to eat my head. I hear it plotting world domination behind my back.

I saw somebody on another thread who had made little spit-curls out of her neck wisps, and it was really cute. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

W00T!!! That's a BIG Pencil Bun, Roseate! Mine is so small in comparison. Looks GREAT! Your neck hairs are nothing compared to mine, so take heart -- there could be more of 'em! ;) But I think they look soft and feminine -- they keep us from looking like a tight-bunned mean lady, if ya know what I mean. :o

little_acorn
February 27th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Curlylocks and Pixna! It's true, my bun is already trying to eat my head. I hear it plotting world domination behind my back.

I saw somebody on another thread who had made little spit-curls out of her neck wisps, and it was really cute. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Awesome bun - I've never really done the pencil bun, but I think you mught have inspired me to have a go :D

Brownie
February 28th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Awesome!
My pencil bun looks completely different :lol:

Nera
February 28th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I have extremely thick hair! its almost impossible for me to braid my hair, or to put it up.

florenonite
February 28th, 2010, 07:21 AM

1 1/2 hours?! I've not got particularly thick hair (around 4.25" when clean), but my hairdresser's never taken more than half an hour to do my hair, and that's with a wash and actual cut, not just a trim.

Phalaenopsis
February 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
The number of times I've been asked to have it thinned out. :roll:

Same here :roll: And when it was time to blowdry my hair, it took forever!

Oskimosa
February 28th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I definitely would not let anyone who rolled his or her eyes at me when I walked into a salon touch my hair. In fact, I would walk right out.

I have been with the same women for 14 years. She is great and never makes me feel uncomfortable. It does not take that long to cut my hair. I go in, let them wash my hair then she combs out my hair with a wide-tooth comb, trims a 1/2” or less of the ends, and I am done. I just let my hair air-dry.

I know, I know, this was pre-LHC. I only went back once after joining and a different lady there cut my hair. The owner was always with the attitude, the other lady would always tell my then-bf-now-dh that i was so lovely. Yea she wanted good tips for all that work :p Now I live closer to my mom and I will let her do it again! She KNOWS her micro-trims :)

I know that attitude. Back when I let stylists dye my hair, they used to sigh when they almost ran out of dye and then started to use the remnants in the bowl *very* sparingly to try and make it through my head of hair. Pitiful. And they always ended up having to open up another tube of dye. Yep, they hated my guts and I don't even have hair that thick (between 4.1 and 4.5). The number of times I've been asked to have it thinned out. :roll:

Hahaha, I know! Same thing always happened to me, EVEN WITH shoulder length hair. I was always having to have my color corrected after trashing it with dyes from Sally's. Once I decided a perm on my 5.5" pony BSL length hair would be a nice idea. 6 hours later.......

1 1/2 hours?! I've not got particularly thick hair (around 4.25" when clean), but my hairdresser's never taken more than half an hour to do my hair, and that's with a wash and actual cut, not just a trim.

Maybe I'm clocking from the time entering to the time leaving. :o But I swear the last lady took at least one hour just to section and cut. With the shampoo and the blowdry, 1.5 hours. Trims seem to take a long time because I have layers and I'm getting splits on the shorter layers so I don't want to just crop the bottom.

ETA: Roseate, that is a lovely pencil bun! :)

GoddesJourney
February 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
If your hair is thin, they'll sell you any product to make it thicker, but if it's naturally thick, they want you to thin it out? Crazy!

Angharad
February 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM
My hair is also pretty thick; I oil it like crazy to get it tamed and to give it a more "slender" look, but hey :shrug:, after a couple of hours my hair gets back to it's natural bushy state! My hairsticks always break (the plastic ones) when I make a bun so I have one wooden hairfork I always use; it is a bit boring actually but simplicity works best!

peachrose
February 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Me too! I have recently started experimenting with making updos where I start with my hair in a ponytail and divide the tail in two, wrapping each section around the ponytail and holding it with sticks. I am curious if anyone else uses that method. The good news about super thick hair is that the longer it gets, the more manageable it becomes (at least for me). At 2 inches past BSL I still can only do a cinnabun :rollseyes: but I know that when I hit waist/hip the options should start to open up for me!

akka naeda
February 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Me too! I have recently started experimenting with making updos where I start with my hair in a ponytail and divide the tail in two, wrapping each section around the ponytail and holding it with sticks. I am curious if anyone else uses that method. The good news about super thick hair is that the longer it gets, the more manageable it becomes (at least for me). At 2 inches past BSL I still can only do a cinnabun :rollseyes: but I know that when I hit waist/hip the options should start to open up for me!

Can you explain how you're doing that bun, my DD 12 has ii thickness hair which right now is waist length and there's no way she can do any kind of bun at all; I've just recently managed to get it to stay up for a couple of hours in a Fig 8 with a medium Fakkare but nothing else will work. I'd like to have the option for some updos for smart occasions. Luckily she's not a girly girl so her everyday hair is a pony or a plait.

I can't remember about my hair, when it was shorter it was either in a plait, halfup or down. Right now I've discovered I can wear plastic sticks provided I wrap the hair loosely, but that most forks are useless because they're too short. I have a 6" Baerreis simple round and I can only wear it in a swirly bun. Flexi-8s can be used in logrolls (the XL type) and I'm intending to get an XXL to see what that can be used for, but I suspect it may be too small for anything else. Oh, and if my hair was shorter I'd be able to do a French twist and hold it with a medium Max, but due to the length I have to use a large.

florenonite
February 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Has anyone else noticed that with thicker hair it has to be much longer before it "falls" like long hair? I know a lot of people with ~APL hair whose hair has the same sort of movement as my hair does at waist, but my hair didn't achieve this till at least BSL, which I think might be part of the reason that APL wasn't a good length on me.

Angharad
February 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yes, I totally recognize this!
It always feels too "horizontal" and it is LENGHT I want. Now my hair reaches my bottom it begins to feel more like long, but for me the "really long hair"-feeling starts I think when my hair totally covers my bottom.

Roseate
February 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I have recently started experimenting with making updos where I start with my hair in a ponytail and divide the tail in two, wrapping each section around the ponytail and holding it with sticks. I am curious if anyone else uses that method.

Yes, I do this quite often, though I more commonly use my roller pins than sticks. Dividing my hair in half is the best way to get it to do anything!

Gemma
February 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Has anyone else noticed that with thicker hair it has to be much longer before it "falls" like long hair? I know a lot of people with ~APL hair whose hair has the same sort of movement as my hair does at waist, but my hair didn't achieve this till at least BSL, which I think might be part of the reason that APL wasn't a good length on me.

Absolutely! I don't think my hair will fall how I want it to until it's at hip length. >_> I actually never wear my hair down because it just poofs out around my body like a giant, unruly triangle.

girloctopus
February 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Absolutely! I don't think my hair will fall how I want it to until it's at hip length. >_> I actually never wear my hair down because it just poofs out around my body like a giant, unruly triangle.

Mine does too! But I still don't like how mine falls a lot of the time. If I wear it down, it's usually in a half up because otherwise it's poofing out everywhere. I'm also tired of the thumpy loglike braid. I want one that swings!

BranwenWolf
February 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Glad it's not just me!
The hair towards the front of my head (used to be my bangs) gets all kinked and foofed like a really ugly 70's hairdo when I sleep, so when I wake up I wet my hair and put it into a ponytail to straighten those.

It's still a challenge to make buns that 1) don't fall out and 2) don't give me a headache.
I can do two french braids on each side of my head but not a single down the back. I look at fancy updos longingly but know it would take 3 hours to get all the hairz up there and then I'd have a migraine.
I've had people want me to try cute barettes and I look at them and know that after I got the contraption wedged around my copious coiffe, it would break extravagently and go flying the moment I moved my head.

Oskimosa
February 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Ah yes, the dreaded triangle!! I wish I had the courage to say my hair was the length it is wet, but when it's dry it fluffs out and loses quite a bit of ground.

Glad it's not just me!
The hair towards the front of my head (used to be my bangs) gets all kinked and foofed like a really ugly 70's hairdo when I sleep, so when I wake up I wet my hair and put it into a ponytail to straighten those.

It's still a challenge to make buns that 1) don't fall out and 2) don't give me a headache.
I can do two french braids on each side of my head but not a single down the back. I look at fancy updos longingly but know it would take 3 hours to get all the hairz up there and then I'd have a migraine.
I've had people want me to try cute barettes and I look at them and know that after I got the contraption wedged around my copious coiffe, it would break extravagently and go flying the moment I moved my head.

Heehee, what a well-worded post. Made me giggle.

gmdiaz
February 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I expected that with my thick hair it would FOR SURE grow out and be thick all the way down. . .but *sniffles* it's got a hell of a lot of taper.

Taper made much much worse by an ignorant foray into a very over the top, protein deep treatment. *curses I'll never do that again!*curses* I just cut off a year's growth to get rid of the damage. I am back to 36-1/4". It does look better but I am really mourning my lost length. Lil

I don't have trouble at all with up dos, probably because of the before mentioned taper. But I swear it seems like my hair is happier just worn down.

But I have big floozy triangle that does thank goodness, look better the longer it gets.

I am experimenting with loads of products, trying to find something that smooths, moisturizes, strengthens, doesn't wreck my waves, doesn't have too much protein and doesn't leave my hair stringy at the hemline, cones that wash out. That's all I am asking. ROFL

It's an ongoing challenge. Here's a few things that ARE working:

Shampoo Super diluted. 1:50
Back to Basics Lavender Color Protect for Color Treated Hair (gentle but still a little drying)
Kendra Moisturizing Shampoo (very moisturizing. . .nice!). . .I'll keep this one on hand.

Conditioners
Peter Lamas Soy Hydrating Conditioner (protein). . .I'll keep buying this for sure.
Aussie Moist (cones that are not water soluble. . .so not a keeper but did provide great slip)

Next on the list to try:
Zerran Negate Hair Clarifying Treatment (removes hard water minerals)
Abba Moisture Scentsation Conditioner
Biolage by Matrix Conditioning Balm

Didn't just love
Suave Naturals. . .really darn good for the price but leave my hair feeling a little "waxy" and make my scalp itchy and too dry. I've tried using as a co wash and also regular conditioner after a shampoo. I might like the White Rain versions better?

Didn't just love the one VO5 product I've tried. . .something peachy with soy milk. lol

I'd like to be sulphate free and if not cone free at least only using cones that wash out. Any suggestions for my hair type?

BranwenWolf
March 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
I've had some good luck with Garnier Fructis sleek and shine conditioner.

I'm using Suave Naturals now and I can leave a bit in on the ends and it works nice. I will admit to using a silicone leave-in spray (sort of like the horsey show sheen) to keep things in order once my hair is dry. I don't like detangling epic knots.

I also have a taper (V hemline) and my ends go all over the place for buns or braids. *sigh*
I'm another one of those people whose hair just behaves better long... I was at shoulder after the big chop and I hated it, so I am growing back to or past what I was before.

Pixna
March 1st, 2010, 05:56 AM
I look at fancy updos longingly but know it would take 3 hours to get all the hairz up there and then I'd have a migraine.

Well stated--and envisioning all this made me chuckle! :laugh:

Has anyone else found that different hair products can drastically affect hair volume? I've used some products that have left my hair flat and stringy, to the point I worried that my hair was getting terribly thin. When I switched products, my hair returned to its normal volume. Has anyone else experienced that?

Also, I've found that thicker hair toys just add more bulk and make updos more difficult (than they already are) and make my head hurt. I need thinner but VERY sturdy hair toys (especially those that can hold up under torque).

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM
I've switched from shampoo bar to Sauve Naturals. My hair just isn't happy without the cones really. It's too light weight and floaty, the cones just help everyone agree to hold still and lay down. Means I've got to use ALS to wash my hair in return.

Plus, I washed my hair the first time with shampoo after the bar, blech!!!! It was this vaugly off colored stuff??? I don't know from what. DBF uses the shampoo bar, and his hair really is very clean, so I think it's my fine hair that's being the issue.

Sigh. It's that I've got pretending to be chin length hair, and too much of it, and because it's so short, nothing goes up well. So I give up and get toys that are really too big for my hair, because that's all that WILL hold it.

Brownie
March 1st, 2010, 08:54 AM
I use ALS and my hair's happy ;)
To make my hair manageable and soft, I dilute a blob of conditioner, soak my hair in it and don't rinse it. After the wash I use a lot of coconut oil.
It looks better when it's weighted down :D

Shampoo bars didn't work for me at all :shrug:

florenonite
March 1st, 2010, 09:13 AM
I really like shampoo bars. They don't strip the oil off my hair, so, although it's clean, it's more weighed down than it would be otherwise, preventing the triangle head of doom.

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2010, 09:20 AM
What I'm back to doing.....

Saturate my hair with pre-condish. This is my super heavy Herbal Essences time. I'm not too picky on what, as long as it's pretty heavy and will last somewhat well.

Wash - Target has Suave Naturals Coconut on sale for $0.87. I bought one shampoo, and all of their condish that they had out.... I use 1 "squish" of shampoo mixed with warm water, shook up and pour that over my head. I then take just a wee squish more on my fingertips and rub my scalp well to get rid of the sebum - as my sebum post PPD is really really icky, doesn't spread over my hair well, etc - I now am aiming to get rid of it, and then just let my hair have all the oil it wants.

Rinse really, really, really well - this is the "hard" part with having thick hair, getting rid of all the soap. Rinse until I think it's gone, then rinse again.

Then I slather on the Suave condish, run my shower comb thru, put on anymore that's needed, do the rest of my shower stuff, then rinse somewhat, mostly to make sure there aren't any soap bubbles coming off. Then I use my lime juice/water mix to rinse, and rinse that quick, and call it good.

When my hair is still dripping from the shower, I let it have all the coconut oil it wants. I put on a BUNCH because I know I'm going to blot out some when I go to dry my hair more.

Then I wrap it up in a "sham-wow" type thing, and leave it to dry while I dry off, get dressed, etc....

Then I let my hair out, blot any really wet areas, take some more coconut oil and run it over my hair, comb my hair out, then use a touch of shine serum. Thus, I hope that the oil has gotten all sealed in as best possible and right now, my hair is too short so if I use only coconut oil, it's too much.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it's all pretty easy, it's just making sure my hair gets enough oil to replace what I remove and making sure I try to not break too many hairs in the process.

BranwenWolf
March 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Has anyone put a big blob of shampoo on in the shower for the first time in a new place, only to discover IT'S SOFTENED WATER AGGGGH and spend 20 minutes trying to get all the soap out of their hair?

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Has anyone put a big blob of shampoo on in the shower for the first time in a new place, only to discover IT'S SOFTENED WATER AGGGGH and spend 20 minutes trying to get all the soap out of their hair?

YES!!! Gak, I know all the crap in the water isn't good for my hair, but I HATE softened water. My hair will NOT rinse in that.

Roseate
March 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
I really like shampoo bars. They don't strip the oil off my hair, so, although it's clean, it's more weighed down than it would be otherwise, preventing the triangle head of doom.

I keep wanting to try shampoo bars, and here's one more reason! My hair loves to be a triangle. What are your favorite kinds?

florenonite
March 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
I keep wanting to try shampoo bars, and here's one more reason! My hair loves to be a triangle. What are your favorite kinds?

I tried one from a UK supplier that was ok, but I had to wash my hair more often with it. I ordered some CV samples in November and thus far have tried the Chamomile Citrus, Mud & Clay, and Rosemary & Lavender. I loved the first two, and am a bit meh about the second. It doesn't seem to clean as well (in addition to have pouffy hair, I've also got a scalp that gets greasy quickly, but gets itchy with harsh surfactants :rolleyes:).

Roseate
March 1st, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info- I definitely need to get my hands on some CV samples.

chargersfan
March 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I am trying out shampoo bars now. I have used one 3x now, and I'm deciding if I like it. At first I didn't get all of my scalp clean (because of the thickness of hair) and I finally figured out how to. I start off at my nape, get a lather working up there, then section off a part of my hair in the back (from ear to ear), flipping most of my hair over head, lather that part of my scalp, continue this process about 4 more times until the back of my head is all lathered up, then do the top of my head in sections from front to back. It takes a while, but I had to do something similar with sulfate-free shampoos. SLS shampoos seem to penetrate my hair better to clean it easier. The vinegar rinses help to rinse the soap residue out. I still need to use conditioner after the shampoo bar & vinegar rinse. So, I'm still deciding if I like it or not.

Oh, and I'm using SCH Eucalyptus Lime (b/c I have oily hair).

zen_oven
March 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
I'm thick and layered! I can't even do buns right now--the stupid layers make them look so pathetically small! Once my layers come back in maybe I can contribute more to the discussion.

Sigh. . . sad panda.

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
See, I'm putting my shampoo bar failure down to length, texture and density of my hair and the nasty qualities to my sebum.

1 - My hair, flat out, there is a lot of it. Lots and lots. Thus, to get a soap (vs detergent or standard shampoo) to get thru it all is a fair bit of work, which in return also makes it hard to get out of my hair - and thus making my hair more prone to build up.

2 - Texture wise, my hair is cat fine. I think this more in play with the density. It's all the more hair to try to wash. Plus, with it being cat fine and my sebum being crap, it doesn't respond well to the sebum and demands daily washing.

3 - Length wise remains the issue with my hair being SHORT. I can maybe pretend to be shoulder in back, but that's really stretching the issue. Chin length or just past is more towards what it is. So there isn't the age and damage to the ends as they would be if it was to mid back or whatever.

4 - Sebum. My number one problem. Post PPD reaction - at least my hair has grown back, but I think I did a fairly nasty number to my scalp and long term health. I produce sebum that is closer to the gook you squeeze out of black heads or thicker for lack of anything else that is equal. Coconut oil from the fridge runs over my hair better. It's just nasty stuff, and it doesn't spread down my hair well, and I have to wash it off daily. Blech.

So, to get thru all of my hair to get the nasty sebum off my scalp - well, shampoo just works better. And for as much as I try to whine, beg and plead with my hair to like protein, well, no, it just likes cones better. It's not horrid if I use protein, but it goes to having too much protein way too easily. It wants MOISTURE.

Plus, I think the daily washing comes in to play some. Since I'm not giving the cones a long time to sit on my hair and form a layer, instead they get washed off with what some people use as a clarifying shampoo daily.

DBF uses the CV shampoo bars, and his hair doesn't care what he uses (he's used dish soap before, EEP!!) and it's really pretty non-demanding now that he's got locs in that aren't coated in wax.

Roseate
March 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM
1 - My hair, flat out, there is a lot of it. Lots and lots. Thus, to get a soap (vs detergent or standard shampoo) to get thru it all is a fair bit of work, which in return also makes it hard to get out of my hair - and thus making my hair more prone to build up.

Hmm, yes, I've worried about this too- my whole life I've had problems with there being an "unwashed" spot in the center back of my head, right in the middle of my hair. It's impossible to see because it's covered by so much hair, but my scalp knows it's there. I just couldn't get the shampoo to go consistently through all my hair.

The only thing that took care of it was using fully liquid washing methods, like BS in water or shampoo diluted in so much water that I can squirt it allll over my scalp, or indian herb tea. I'm afraid I might get that dirty spot back with the poo bars, but maybe I could try putting a few shavings in a bottle and shaking that up to make liquid.

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Yup, that's why I always dilute my shampoo so much. It gets all over everywhere. Which I figure soaks my scalp, and then my careful abit fussy scalp scrubbing gets the rest of the gook. I view the shampoo "rinse" as getting the sweat and stink and whatever out, and the scrubby getting the sebum loose.

Shampoo bar, I'd lather it up and work the suds in, but because there wasn't enough suds, I couldn't always tell if I'd gotten a section or not, so I'd go over it again..... And when you scrub the same section 3 times, it doesn't matter if it's dish soap or a shampoo bar, well at least my hair doesn't like it. I know that the suds aren't what cleans your hair, but I use them for "tracking" where I've gotten clean or where I haven't. Plus, the proper soap seemed to do better with ACV rinse vs just lime juice/water - and I HATE the smell of ACV.

Soap nuts work ok to get everywhere, but they are a bit more of a hassle than I want to deal with and they still take the same scrubbing to get my sebum loose as anything else. Plus, soap nuts do strip oily gunk really really well I found, they did about nothing with -cones, so I was still having to cone my hair to get it to lay down and behave, but then it wasn't getting rid of the cones and I'd apply them again, and so on and so forth until it was a nasty mess and I took a clarifying shampoo to it. So I used them for laundry and was going to get more until I found the Purex sheets that are a do it all in one deal and well, fine, I'm lazy.

So I think I'm just having to deal with having a lot of fine hair, and damage to my scalp. Will I ever get to knee length? No, probably not. But it's getting longer than it has been before, so that's progress.

LadyJennifer
March 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
I've always had a problem with non-sls 'poos getting all of my hair/scalp. I find CO or even IHW works better, especially when I apply to wet hair, scrub in, add a little water, scrub some more; let sit while I do other shower things, add a little acv (or just water), scrub some more and rinse really well. My scalp and hair are happier than they've ever been! :)

Eryka
March 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Is anyone afraid of trying new updos because either of the sheer weight and extra fuss, or the high probability of creating a mess of tangles? I find myself becoming a new style phobic, and I hate it.

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
I'm willing to try new updos, but resolve to the usual failure and know I need my tangle teezer and/or a comb, some pins and a known working holder nearby to salvage the mess :)

Gemma
March 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Here's a question: has anyone here mastered a French Twist? For the life of me, I cannot get them to work. They either don't look like a roll/twist at all, or they are so lumpy that it's a mess.

Pixna
March 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Here's a question: has anyone here mastered a French Twist? For the life of me, I cannot get them to work. They either don't look like a roll/twist at all, or they are so lumpy that it's a mess.

Nope. Never. I cannot for the life of me get a French twist to work. I couldn't when my hair was longer, and I can't at my current length either. I used to think it was my fault, but now I'm realizing that there are many updos that thicker-haired people just can't do. In fact, I spent a good portion of the day yesterday just trying to get a bun -- ANY bun -- to stay in. Some days it's really a challenge, especially right after wash day when my hair is extra fluffy and poofy.

girloctopus
March 7th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Nope. Never. I've always wanted them too as well. I also can not get the log roll to work. It makes too much of a log to be held by anything!!

Roseate
March 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Yes, I love the French Twist! There's a picture of one with a Flexi on my profile page, and here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3858&pictureid=49704) another. However, they do look a little different from the super-sleek twists you see on thinner/shorter-haired folks. Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3858&pictureid=49705) a side view of that one- it sticks out, maybe too much.

I think I need to graduate to one of the longer-haired versions of making the twist, my current method was good from shoulder-APL but seems to be giving up on me now.

Pixna
March 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Those look SO pretty, Roseate!! I admire your skills!! :bowtome:

Roseate
March 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Ah, but you are the one with the killer hairstick skills, Pixna! I usually wrangle my mane aided by a battalion of big metal pins, while you go hand-to-hand combat with a single stick.

akka naeda
March 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM

yes, I used to be able to when my hair was shorter, but I didn't wear it often because the look wasn't me at the time :-)

chargersfan
March 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Yes, I love the French Twist! There's a picture of one with a Flexi on my profile page, and here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3858&pictureid=49704) another. However, they do look a little different from the super-sleek twists you see on thinner/shorter-haired folks. Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3858&pictureid=49705) a side view of that one- it sticks out, maybe too much.

I think I need to graduate to one of the longer-haired versions of making the twist, my current method was good from shoulder-APL but seems to be giving up on me now.

Beautiful! I am still seriously updo-challenged.

Pixna
March 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Ah, but you are the one with the killer hairstick skills, Pixna! I usually wrangle my mane aided by a battalion of big metal pins, while you go hand-to-hand combat with a single stick.

LOL!!! True, I'm trying to battle things out with a single stick. But I am being SO challenged the past couple of days. I don't know whether my hair is at an in-between stage where it requires just another few inches so I can have more bun successes or if there's something else going on (like hair stick klutziness or lack of coordination). I also don't know whether my hair thickness is the root of my updo challenges. :confused: I just feel like nothing is working for me right now -- I've got lots of beautiful hair sticks and here I am...all thumbs! :o

BranwenWolf
March 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I really can't get any organized updo to work other than a messy cinnabun. Any bun looks formal enough for when I need to be tidy, but oh how I wish my wild strands would cooperate.
It's hairsticks or nothing for me know- pins pull too much. I hope that by the time I am back at classic, headed to knee my head will be tolerant enough of buns to take the whole weight of it up there.

florenonite
March 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Nope. I've done semi-French twists with hairsticks at about APL, but they were more just vague rolls on the back of my head. I've never gotten a proper one done.

LadyJennifer
March 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM

You have such pretty hair, Roseate!

Gemma
March 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM

They look so awesome! How exactly do you do them? I feel like there's many different ways to do this style and yet none seem to work for me. I'd be interested to hear how you do it. :)

BranwenWolf
March 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I was putting a bandana around my head to keep my bangs out... I put it on bent over with my hair reaching to the ground.
When I stood up and flipped my hair back it nearly killed the two strings for the ceiling fan... which thankfully was not on at the time. The cords snapped back with a lot of noise.
When my hair is wet and I flip it back it almost hurts when it smacks my back.

Kristin
March 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Ok, I thought I was just lacking in bun skills, but now I'm thinking my hair is just kinda thick (and layered:mad:). Every time I try to make any kind of bun, it ends up looking like a Cinnabun as I can only really get my hair around once.

I have had success with twin buns, either on the back or top of my head. I sometimes do these as cinnabuns for sleeping or hanging around the house. I also will do twin roseates. Even for those, I can only get my hair around once, though. Grrr!

Bunnyhare
March 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Roseate~
Your french twists are beautiful , I think that style is so classically sexy and elegant..can't you just see the old time movie star pulling the pin out of that and doing the sexy-hair head shake with the innocent little face..

Mine always looks like a pile of you-know-what :poop: on the back of my head ! I haven't tried at this length yet, i guess its time for a new experiment, see if I can be Gretta Garbo-..ish..never...:silly:

BranwenWolf
March 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I think letting down any bun is sexy.
Unless it's in a knot and doesn't come down by itself. (nooooo, that's NEVER happened to me)

Roseate
March 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
They look so awesome! How exactly do you do them? I feel like there's many different ways to do this style and yet none seem to work for me. I'd be interested to hear how you do it. :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments, y'all are making me blush over here!

And Gemma, I think I'll try to make a little tutorial tomorrow; I can't seem to think how to explain how I make them right now (late), but I'll be very eloquent tomorrow I'm sure! :)

Gemma
March 9th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments, y'all are making me blush over here!

And Gemma, I think I'll try to make a little tutorial tomorrow; I can't seem to think how to explain how I make them right now (late), but I'll be very eloquent tomorrow I'm sure! :)

That would be lovely, thank you! :flower:

Sisko
March 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I completely forgot that I had posted in this thread. Checking back in. :waving:

Today was one of those days, one of those huge, poofy days. It was all over the place and couldn't be tamed. I'm feeling generally miserable about the state of my hair, and I don't suppose the dryness is helping (it's been a long winter). There's nothing like a huge, dry mass of hair to bring your spirits down. Luckily I thought of doing an oiled braid (real lifesaver, that one) before I shaved it all of.

Roseate, that's a very stylish French Twist. I've given up on making them work. The Bijoux Manoel pin/comb I purchased recently only stays in for so long before it starts to fall out. *sigh* Back to Ketylos.

A lot of what's been said about how thick hair doesn't fall quite right until it's longer is spot on.

I can relate. :( Here's to growing. :rockerdud

You DO have a very thick braid -- from all appearances, I would say your hair is iii, at least from looking at your braid (which is gorgeous, by the way).

Thanks, Pixna. I think I'm going to keep my stats at ii/iii, though. My twin braids look puny compared to some of the braids I see here, so I often wonder how we can be in the same thickness range. An 'iv' category addition wouldn't be out of place.

My hair behaves exactly like yours; it's fluffy, as you say, when washed and shrinks a bit in the following days. I'm going to assume mid-wash makes for the most accurate measurement.

Phalaenopsis
March 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I'll have to go wash my hair and wait like forever before my hair gets completely wet... pfff....

Sisko
March 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I think we should distribute powerful garden hoses in this thread.

Phalaenopsis
March 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I want a showerhead that is really big and falls down on me like rain. :D

BranwenWolf
March 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
The only showerhead I like is at my parent's house. The others I have used are astonishingly wimpy. I should have taken up dad's over to put a WaterPik in here.
ETA: WaterPik headquarters is about 20 minutes north of me!

MissManda
March 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I'm another layered and thick-haired person checking in. I also thought that I was just plain horrible at updos. My hair can be too silky at times, which doesn't help at all. I have never been able to do a French twist (Roseate, I admire your skills!), nor do any of the more complicated buns want to work. The only way I can do a figure 8/infinity bun is when I divide my hair into half or thirds.

I've never been much of a bun fan, so it doesn't bother me too much that I can't really do any yet... Well, except for the Fan Bun. I dream of being able to do that someday. *Sigh*

I don't like buns because my hairline looks square-ish (or I think it does at least), which makes me look like an austere, crabby lady. So I stick to braids.

And I also agree that thicker hair doesn't seem to lay right until it gets longer. When I was around SL and APL, I thought it was because my hair is straight and fine-ish, but DBF, who also has thick hair, had a similar problem.

I love Torrin Paige's hair tutorials. I absolutely cannot wait for my hair to get long enough to do some of them I just learned the 4-strand twist braid today. Yay!

This has been an incredibly helpful thread! :cheese:

Laurenji
March 11th, 2010, 01:05 AM
The only real way I've gotten a french twist to work is a) when my hair is slightly damp, not too wet or too dry, and b) with my french twist comb. I can't get it to work with pins or sticks or anything, only that. It has to be damp enough to give it sticking power (otherwise it slides right out) but not so damp that it's super-sticky and I can't shove the comb through. There's a pic of one here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3108&pictureid=39429), although it isn't that great of a picture (it was mostly to show off the comb in the "wear all your hair toys at least once" challenge). Also, it was about a year ago and 4 inches shorter, so all the little ends are sticking out.

MissManda
March 11th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Wow, that is a really nice French twist, Laurenji. I've seen those French twist combs before and I was considering buying one. I have procrastinated on it because I'm afraid that it won't work. I will have to try the style when my hair is damp.

I am so envious of the people on YouTube who can do a French twist so quickly and effortlessly.

Phalaenopsis
March 11th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I gave up the French Twist a long time ago. I don't like the big chunk of hair on the back of my head.

I'm having quite some problems with detangling and I think one of the main reasons is that I have so much hair.

girloctopus
March 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I gave up the French Twist a long time ago. I don't like the big chunk of hair on the back of my head.

I'm having quite some problems with detangling and I think one of the main reasons is that I have so much hair.

I have problems detangling too. The sheer mass of hair seems to retangle itself instantly! The two tips I have that have worked well for me:

1. Tangle teezer. I adore it. It glides through tangles like a dream come true. I used to take a long time to detangle with a wide-tooth comb and would have a mass of sheds to show for it. Now, I can detangle it much more quickly and I shed a fraction of the amount.
2. ACV/cold water rinses. Both make my hair feel slippery smooth to the touch and the tangles seem to fall out almost effortlessly.

I hope this helps my fellow thickies! I hate how easily thick hair can tangle, so anything that decreases it is welcome. Does anyone else have any other tips?

Pixna
March 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Laurenji, good job on the French twist!! I have never been able to do one, regardless of my length. It's actually a relief to know that the thickness of my hair is likely the reason, rather than my, um, clumsiness. :o

goodenough
March 11th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Okay, so I've read half of this thread so far and am excited--just to have a place to complain about my thick hair where it won't seem like I'm fishing for compliments. Because I'm not-lol.

This tip is probably already on here--but the two things that worked for me with past-waist super thick slippery hair was a cinnabun flipped up and held with a big fork. To make any other bun, I would make the fancy bun with a half-up held by sticks, then twist and pin the bottom hair around it with pins.

I cut my hair into a bob, partly due to my frustration with it being so thick. But since I don't have the money for good haircuts by people who know how to cut thick hair, I'm growing it out, probably to a bsl in a deep U shape. The U shape keeps enough of the weight off that I should be okay. I just can't get a haircut every month.

My old stylist has gotten too expensive, and I'm afraid a new one would thin or razor my hair, which would make it hard to set. I do a wet set everytime I wash it so it isn't as slippery (and so no one can tell i have a mullet:) I don't want to cut it till it's quite a bit longer. It's at shoulder length in the back and shorter on the sides. It looks weird now, very early eighties, but since I plan on wearing it shorter on the sides once I'm longer, why not leave it?

LadyJennifer
March 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I find either an acv and water rinse, or a citric acid and water (cold, filtered) final rinse really helps with smoothness and tangles.

chargersfan
March 11th, 2010, 09:41 AM
When it comes to tangles, LHC has helped me a ton. I used to spend forever detangling in & out of the shower. Now I heavily oil at night, leave it in over night before my shower, CO my length only (I have to shampoo my scalp so I do CWC), and do a vinegar rinse b/c I have hard water. When I get out I spray the length of my hair w/ a mix of water, condish and oil before combing which helps even more.

So, more questions for fellow sufferers of thick, heavy hair:

Working out (with a lot of jumping up and down): I do turbo kickboxing classes, and I do the high intensity version, where I jump a lot! Things like high intesity jumping jacks for an hour straight, and burpees, hitting the floor, stuff like that. Imagine only being able to do a braid because everything else falls out and your braid is flying and flipping through the air and smacking you all over the place. NO bun I have tried will work. Jaw clips are laughable. Hair taping - too thick & not long enough for that. Ponytails get very tangled. Anyway, if anyone has any tips... let me know.

Another question - are thicker hair sticks necessarily better for thicker hair, or do thinner ones work just as well?

Beets
March 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
After reading about y'all's successes and challenges with French twists, I decided to try them again after years and years of abandonment. The results were...meh. I could do one OK, though it wouldn't have held more than an hour or so (and that
with little to no head movement), but I don't like the shape it makes out of my head. It reminds me of one of the Star Trek aliens or a shark fin or something.

Here's my pic. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4777&pictureid=66444)

Chargersfan, I hear ya on the trusty but tiresome braid. Are you opposed to scrunchies? You might try doubling your braid back under itself and then securing the two together tightly with a scrunchie. Not cute, but functional. And my thing with thin hair sticks is that I need so much force to move so much hair that I can snap them. Thicker ones are stronger, so I can use more force. In slide styles, it's not important, but in lift and hold styles, yes.

Pixna
March 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Beets, you did a really GREAT job! Seriously! I would end up with a big blob on my head -- a messy, giant lump. I'm impressed with your handiwork! :applause

MissManda
March 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm with Pixna, your French twist looks wonderful, Beets!

I find that taking a wide-toothed comb into the shower with me to be very helpful when I have lots of tangles in my hair. I condition the length well and I will take the comb through it while rinsing with cold water. I've even gotten DBF to try it with great success as well.

I will have to try the half-up figure 8 bun with some interesting accent braids sometime. That is quite clever!

Beets
March 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Well thanks, Pixna and MissManda. I really wasn't sold on it, but I'm glad to know that it's one I could pull off in a pinch :p.

I'm investigating Ketylos right now, and the figure 8 bun keeps popping up with them. I'm going to have to check that one out, too.

LadyJennifer
March 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I bought a ketylo stick (med), but can't figure out how to keep my hair up with it. Help?

MandyBeth
March 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Working out (with a lot of jumping up and down): I do turbo kickboxing classes, and I do the high intensity version, where I jump a lot! Things like high intesity jumping jacks for an hour straight, and burpees, hitting the floor, stuff like that. Imagine only being able to do a braid because everything else falls out and your braid is flying and flipping through the air and smacking you all over the place. NO bun I have tried will work. Jaw clips are laughable. Hair taping - too thick & not long enough for that. Ponytails get very tangled. Anyway, if anyone has any tips... let me know.

Honestly, right now, I'm at chin, but I'm finding that a lace braid put in damp either all the way around or near enough starting from the back, so any tail ends up in the back vs my face - or one on each side back and pinned a little bit together is what works the best.

I do NOT like the pins that well as if they are sturdy enough to stay in, they poke my scalp.

I'm going to give taping a try with the lace braid all around. Which I think will take longer, but less annoying than pins poking me.

curlylocks85
March 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
Since I have been working with oils I have found them to be good for my hair however, I bought a new oil I found at Wal-Mart and used it ALOT. This caused a tremendous amount of build-up. I ended up breaking down and using a pea-sized amount of shampoo to wash it out. I had to do it twice because the first time did not get it all. I only used it on my washday, which is once a week. Anyway, since I did this, my hair has looked incredibly thin. It does not feel as thick as it did before. Has this happened to anyone? Do you have any advice?

florenonite
March 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
Oil does make hair feel or appear thinner; I know that my braid the day before I wash my hair is pitiful in comparison to a braid on wash day.

curlylocks85
March 22nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Oil does make hair feel or appear thinner; I know that my braid the day before I wash my hair is pitiful in comparison to a braid on wash day.

That is quite true for me as well. My hair loves oil; I have far less frizz and my hair is really soft and shiny for curly hair. Maybe it is just the oil weighing my hair down giving the illusion of thinner hair.

Phalaenopsis
March 22nd, 2010, 06:35 AM
I think so too. I have already very compact hair since it straight and fine, but I still notice the difference when I oil it.

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
What have you found are the best buns for thick hair (esp. hair around APL or BSL) and what do you think are the best bun holders (sticks, forks, etc.) and hair-toy makers for those of us with thick hair?

MandyBeth
March 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
For toy makers - Grah-toe Studios to get into the "different" forks and such. For your decorated sticks, Nightblooming wins for me right now, but I've not tried the "bulky" stick makers - like Timberstone Turnings or Amadlife0 (don't know who that last one is). Ficcare Maximas hold like a freaking rock.

What my hair doesn't like - Ficcare Ficcies, Innovation or Super clip. Either I'm not using them right or my hair just hates them, the Ficcies smaller than Large are too small, the Super clip is way too small because the hinge is so far in, and I do not get the point of a clip that you have to stick thru your bun vs over the bun.

Most metal sticks. Spits them out in 2 seconds. I give up. Also in relation, Amish pins. No way, no how.

Plastic. Sorry, I'll stop laughing. I break it in 2 minutes.

Most cheap toys with a spring. *Sproing....*

French barrettes. Too much hair, so then I crowd everything up and then it breaks my hair.

Goody's Spin Pins. My hair bunches up too much, so I either overtwist the prongs or some how untwist it. Too lightweight for my hair.

Basics my hair does like - Scroos, chingon pins, the hair pins (look like Amish pins but with squiggles), roller clips, soft kiddy no metal bands.

Best holder - forks, scroos, ficcares and the pins. I think Nightshade's sticks are sturdy and well made, it's more I worry about breaking them, so I support the bun with a few pins, then put the stick in.

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks so much, MandyBeth!! :flower:

Anyone else???

Oskimosa
March 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
What have you found are the best buns for thick hair (esp. hair around APL or BSL) and what do you think are the best bun holders (sticks, forks, etc.) and hair-toy makers for those of us with thick hair?

:( I was noticing I hadn't updated my updos album in a looong time. Then I figured out it's because I CAN'T DO ANY. All I can do is a regular bun, and the ends stick out LIKE MAD because of the layers. Look at my siggy for cryin out loud! SO not fair! :( All that holds it up is a stretched-to-the-max scrunchie. I bought some hair grabbies, like a fakkare and a giant jaw clip; nothing wants to hold. Um, I DID manage to get a half-up figure-8 bun to last about an hour, though :rolleyes:

chargersfan
March 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Right now I'm relying on the pencil bun, cinnabun, and a modified nautilus. I also do simple braids a lot. I usually don't keep the bun in all day b/c it slips out or is too heavy.

I haven't been able to try every toy yet. I really want to try some thicker sticks to see if they hold better (like TT or something, I'm very curious, but held back b/c of price). Right now ketylos do a fairly good job. I also have a Grah-toe fork that holds well. I have a Flexi-8 in XL but wish it was bigger, and a Ficcare Maximus in Large that I also wish was bigger. I can get the Flexi to hold a bun, but the Ficcare I'm about to give up on.

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks, chargersfan. How do you do the modified Nautilus? How do you pin up your cinnabun? I've had so much trouble lately getting anything to stay in (even a Pencil Bun) -- my hair is too thick and too short still, I think. :(

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM

My hair holds up best with 60th Street Forks. . .the multi pronged type.

But also love Baerreis forks. . .all of them.

Love my Keytos sticks. . .the curvy sticks hold really well. I really want one of their forks!

Others: Silk scrunchies are wonderful. Love my silk hair bonnet. Love the TINY plastic, hair jaw clips.

Mostly try to wear loose cinnamon buns. . .trying not to twist or braid my hair too much, just now.

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Oskimosa, I feel for you!! Are you growing out your layers?

Thanks, gmdiaz. Which are your favorite Baerreis forks for holding up thick hair?

Has anyone tried the Ketylo forks???

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks, gmdiaz. Which are your favorite Baerreis forks for holding up thick hair?

I'll take some photos for you of my stash. . .I've got a bunch of Baerreis. I love them all.

Be back soon.

MandyBeth
March 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
My hair disagrees with Ketylos. Viamently. I want to love them - I myself love them. My hair hates them. Snap right over the curvy part. Fork did the same thing. Grumble.

akka naeda
March 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM

My hair's a fair bit longer than yours but.....
I can wear any stick provided I don't have the hair twisted too tight. That includes cheap plastic sticks, originally I snapped them but as someone pointed out on some other thread a few years ago, it shouldn't need to happen, and now I've sorted out the twisting issues it no longer does.

Forks are generally too short for me now because I need 6" prong length; the only fork I have anyway is a Baerreis.

I've only tried Ficcare Maximas, I use a large, but I know that I could hold a French twist (so that'd be for about APL - BSL hair AFAIR) with a medium Maximas.

And there is no way that at the length you are talking about I could have got my hair to stay in a bun.

Oskimosa
March 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Has anyone tried the Ketylo forks???

Eh, I go back and forth. In reality, I prefer my hair down anyway. I only put it up when cooking, cleaning, or doing strenuous activity. Thus the layers look better when my hair is down than when I have it blunt. Since it is so terribly thick, it cuts down on the weight of my hair too. I think, however, that my shortest layer might be BSL when it's all said and done. They're up around APL and shoulder right now, which is causing all the trouble.

chargersfan
March 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM
And there is no way that at the length you are talking about I could have got my hair to stay in a bun.

I agree... it is only recently that I've been able to do any of the buns, and most of the time I have things sticking out. I don't do the buns exactly right either.

As for the cinnabun, I usually use 2 sticks with it, and fiddle with them until it's held tight. Or I'll do a Gibraltar Bun with one stick, and that works pretty well. But like I said, my buns never last all day. Which is why I'd like to try out thicker sticks to see if they hold better. But I'm not sure if they will.

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
akka naeda, thank you for your reply! Actually, I'm able to do buns at my length, but I have to adapt them. Some days certain ones work, and some days they don't. I'm not giving up though! :D

princessp
March 24th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I hadn't thought about the thickness aspect and how some bun styles don't seem to stay well in my hair. Anyway, another thick-haired just checking in.

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'll take some photos for you of my stash. . .I've got a bunch of Baerreis. I love them all.

Be back soon.

Here you go, Pixna. . .my personal faves:

http://www.splynda.com/Yellowrose/Jaspy_Boomer/Fav_Thick_Hair_032410.jpg

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
WOW, gmdiaz!! You really MUST love these. :laugh: Which of the styles (60th Street and Baerreis) and number of tines do you think would work best for shorter (my length) thick hair? Oh, and what length forks/tines are these?

Is that a Timberstone stick on the top right or someone else's?

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM
WOW, gmdiaz!! You really MUST love these. :laugh: Which of the styles (60th Street and Baerreis) and number of tines do you think would work best for shorter (my length) thick hair? Oh, and what length forks/tines are these?

Is that a Timberstone stick on the top right or someone else's?

When my hair was at your length, I didn't know anything about hair forks and didn't have any, so I am just guessing what might work for you. I'd go with multi-tines and about 4-1/2" to 5" functional length.

I might start with the middle Baerreis comb, called Sea Bird (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=17078269). It has the shortest tines of all my forks. . .3-1/2" (functional) and works for some hairstyles better than others. I bought it for a Gibson Tuck type style. But I can use it for cinnamon buns too, sort of angled off to one side. It holds really well. So maybe it would work for your shorter length and still be useable later when your hair gets mid-back length.

Or maybe, the violin shaped Baerreis (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=16191163). . .that one only has a 4" functional prong length but I can wear it comfortably too.

And I start with one of the 60th Street forks too, any of them but I love that blue four pronged one very much. . .maybe a 4-1/2 functional length. I can angle the fork at different locations to get the best hold. think you could too with your ever changing length. : )

Most of my forks are in the 5" functional prong length. I could easily use a tiny bit shorter or an inch longer though, depends on how tight or loose I make the bun. I don't like for there to be a lot of fork hanging out. . . so I tend to go with the shortest length possible.

I think the multi-tines hold really well. The more tines, the tighter the hold for me. For instance, those 60th St. forks work GREAT for me, three tines or four tines. I just have to be super gentle gliding them into a looser type bun, not too tight.

Yes! Thats my new Timberstone's Turnings (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=26653691)hair stick. I love it & I love the craftsmanship. It's a bit top heavy so I have to go with a bit tighter updo. That one has a function length of 5". . .I bought it a little longer than usual, thinking that I would need to have some hanging out on either end to balance that big heavy stone and sterling topper. And it does fit wonderfully.

Pixna
March 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks so much, gmdiaz!! I do have some 3-prong 60th Street forks that I love. I got an older model Barreis from the Swap Board here (I don't see that style on their site anymore), and I do love it. It's only two prongs, but it's a terrific fork. I agree that the more prongs, the tighter the grip -- I've found that to be true. I think my forks are all about 4.5 inches functional prong length. It's very good to know that this size can work for longer-length hair, too, as I don't want to have to abandon them as my hair gets longer!

The Baerreis are really tempting, especially since I've tried one now and really like it a lot. But they have so many styles, it's hard to choose! I couldn't do a Gibson tuck or a French twist if my life depended on it, so I'm not sure the Sea Bird would be the best choice for me (although it is one heckuva stunning fork!!!).

Your Timberstone Turnings stick is exquisite -- very elegant looking!! I don't normally get sticks with stone toppers, but this is definitely one I would like, so if you ever want to rehome it, just let me know! :redgrin:

Thank you again!!! :heart:

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Why don't you think about that violin Baerreis. . .it's more curvy than the others that I wear. I love it! I don't know if you can see it in the photo but the forks are curved down, so it fits really snuggly. And the dark color would look amazing in your hair.

And yes, you could do a Gibson Tuck. LOL Do you have one of those plastic hair tools that helps with this? It's called Topsy Tail (http://www.amazon.com/Topsy-Tail-Style-Braid-Braidmaker/dp/B000VJH6HU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1269464946&sr=1-1). Those really do work, though I have to be super careful about pulling my hair about. I dread to hear the *snap*.

Absolutely! Hair twins get first choice on hair toy adoptions!

Oskimosa
March 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I need at least a 6inch fork, and can NEVER find them. Only the skinny 2-pronged hair sticks. Where am I supposed to find one that isn't $50+?? I'm not into expensive hair toys, I'm too scared I will break them or not like them to invest that much.

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I need at least a 6inch fork, and can NEVER find them. Only the skinny 2-pronged hair sticks. Where am I supposed to find one that isn't $50+?? I'm not into expensive hair toys, I'm too scared I will break them or not like them to invest that much.

You're going to have to go with an expensive one. . .your hair is special! LONG & THICK!

You will love a Baerreis. . .and can get it custom fitted. You will not break it if you're gently gliding it into your hair. If it does break, it's probably because there was a flaw in the wood. Martha will replace it if that's the case!

And if you wear it all the time, it ends up not being very expensive! This is my story and I am sticking to it. LOL

MandyBeth
March 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, second vote for biting your lip and paying the $50.

Grah-toe Studios are really great for custom work also, plus help if something breaks or any problems. Tho' I don't really worry about breaking mine as those suckers are STRONG.

Oskimosa
March 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Haha nooo it's not fair! Why can't I use the cheapy ones like everyone else?? Doesn't someone make high quality products for specialty hair for next to nothing??? :p Oh well, maybe I'll just have to do it with my next paycheck, and put off those gorgeous BAF earrings I wanted.

gmdiaz
March 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Haha nooo it's not fair! Why can't I use the cheapy ones like everyone else?? Doesn't someone make high quality products for specialty hair for next to nothing??? :p Oh well, maybe I'll just have to do it with my next paycheck, and put off those gorgeous BAF earrings I wanted.

. . .or you could always go with a silk scrunchy. ROFLOLOL

P.S. I forgot to mention that I recently bought this Baerreis (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370349347840&vti=wood+color+speciesBrazilian+tulipwoodfunctiona l+prong+length4.5+inch) but haven't receive it yet. It was under $30, including shipping.

I requested the small 4-1/2" Tulipwood Flair 2 Prong. . .for tight updos. :o

Arrow Juniper
March 25th, 2010, 12:41 AM
. . .or you could always go with a silk scrunchy. ROFLOLOL

Silk scrunchies rule!

Pixna
March 25th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Why don't you think about that violin Baerreis. . .it's more curvy than the others that I wear. I love it! I don't know if you can see it in the photo but the forks are curved down, so it fits really snuggly. And the dark color would look amazing in your hair.

And yes, you could do a Gibson Tuck. LOL Do you have one of those plastic hair tools that helps with this? It's called Topsy Tail (http://www.amazon.com/Topsy-Tail-Style-Braid-Braidmaker/dp/B000VJH6HU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1269464946&sr=1-1). Those really do work, though I have to be super careful about pulling my hair about. I dread to hear the *snap*.

Absolutely! Hair twins get first choice on hair toy adoptions!

LOL!! I don't have a Topsy Tail (though I did about a thousand years ago when they first came out). For me, the inability to do a Gibson Tuck or French Twist has to do with uncoordinated fingers and hair that is too bulky. I end up with a Gibson Glob or a French Blob. :laugh:

I appreciate your keeping your hair twin at the top of your hair-toy rehoming list!! :flowers:

I will look into the violin Baerreis -- thanks! What functional prong length works best for you at your length?

gmdiaz
March 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I like about 4-3/4" functional prong for most updos. . .but can go shorter or longer. I tend to get them a little on the sort side.

I got my beautiful Flair by Baerreis today but it has a split in one of the forks! Really hard to see but my hair found it! Drats. I'll have to send it back to Martha. Hope she has more tulipwood. : (

P.S. Silk scrunchies DO rule. . .but only in silk! *insert head banging* LOL

Pixna
March 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks for letting me know the prong length you prefer, gmdiaz. It's driving me crazy trying to figure out what length to order, as these things aren't cheap, ya know?! Aw geez, that's too bad about your brand new fork. :(

curlylocks85
March 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Since I have been working with oils I have found them to be good for my hair however, I bought a new oil I found at Wal-Mart and used it ALOT. This caused a tremendous amount of build-up. I ended up breaking down and using a pea-sized amount of shampoo to wash it out. I had to do it twice because the first time did not get it all. I only used it on my washday, which is once a week. Anyway, since I did this, my hair has looked incredibly thin. It does not feel as thick as it did before. Has this happened to anyone? Do you have any advice?

Well, I tried an experiment. I did not oil for a few days and what do you know, my hair resumed its normal thickness. :cheese:

Pixna
March 30th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well, I tried an experiment. I did not oil for a few days and what do you know, my hair resumed its normal thickness. :cheese:

Oils make my hair seem thin, too. I have found that the right and wrong products make a HUGE difference in the texture and volume of my hair. When I was using the wrong products, I actually thought my hair was getting incredibly thin (I was so certain this was happening that I even started posting in the "thin hair" threads here!). As soon as I switched back to the products my hair prefers (and stopped using any oils), my thick volume returned like magic. :magic:

sarahramen
March 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM
hi, sorry if this seems random but does anyone get 'hair headaches' (what i call them, when your head hurts and your hair feels rubbed the wrong way kind of, could be after having it up or sleeping on it funny, i hope this makes sense) because of the weight of their hair. i get them frequently/ multiple times daily and the sensation doesnt go away until i wash my hair and it gets re-situated. my hair is only at my collarbone and i hope to get waist or longer but if this continues.... does anyone have this problem and have a solution? thanks

Oskimosa
March 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Oh boy, did I ever used to get those! I found it was from doing updos that were too tight. I haven't had one in a long time, though. Elastics can do it. Hairsticks, too, if I'm not careful. Try not to do them too tight, and make sure to distribute the weight of your hair correctly. Some people can wear updos higher or lower than others comfortably.

chargersfan
March 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, to the hair headaches. I can't wear my hair in the same updo all day. And the position on my head matters - for some reason, a low bun hurts more than a high one - for me. If I'm traveling far in a car or chilling on a couch, I'll either rest my bun on the seat, taking off the weight for a while, or throw my hair over it if it's a braid or loose.

MandyBeth
March 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Over oiling makes my hair "squish" down nicely more, which it doesn't like to do on it's own. It will be nice if it's allowed to be fluffy and a triangle. It will snarl and tangle with it's neighbor if it's squished down. It likes a little bit of oil on the ends before I put the coney product in. Plus, it remains pretty and shiny after having to do a major scrub and wash job after putting 1/2oz of oil in my hair. Did that one in my sleep, I don't recommend it. Washing out was a problem. 3 shampoos, thus fluffy mess.

My scalp when itchy likes a little bit of oil rubbed on that spot. I produce rather icky, thick, gooky sebum on my scalp (when you can scrap it off with your nails....), and the oil seems to help it break down or something.

Also, not sure how this is going to work out long term as I've not soaked my hair excessively in oil after the one trial - but I found that even an SLS shampoo didn't cut it (first washing) it felt the EXACT same as before and I got NO lather at all. 2nd shampoo, I tried my *rather disliked* shampoo bar that leaves my hair greasy and sticky, and that stuff knocked probably 75% of the excess out. 3rd shampoo got all the excess out.

So I'm not sure if the shampoo bar worked because it was the 2nd shampoo, or if it worked because being oil/fat based, it would attract the oils better?

I've found my hair does NOT slip loose in a properly made bun, thus I need to twist them up less, so they aren't too tight and then pulling on my scalp.

Also, for me, lower ponytails/buns are about guaranteed to trip a headache in me. Higher up, no problems.

girloctopus
March 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
hi, sorry if this seems random but does anyone get 'hair headaches' (what i call them, when your head hurts and your hair feels rubbed the wrong way kind of, could be after having it up or sleeping on it funny, i hope this makes sense) because of the weight of their hair. i get them frequently/ multiple times daily and the sensation doesnt go away until i wash my hair and it gets re-situated. my hair is only at my collarbone and i hope to get waist or longer but if this continues.... does anyone have this problem and have a solution? thanks

I know what you mean. I seem to get them a lot with French braids :( I just let it out and massage my scalp for a bit and it helps.

vamq
March 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM

I have this a lot lately, maybe because my hair has thickened up a bit.
Still, I would like to be able to make updo's with hairsticks that stay up all day. How can I do that without having hair headaches?

girloctopus
March 31st, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have this a lot lately, maybe because my hair has thickened up a bit.
Still, I would like to be able to make updo's with hairsticks that stay up all day. How can I do that without having hair headaches?

I have to make sure that I don't torque the stick too tight, which can be difficult at times. It's a very fine line between comfort and pain. I seem to have better luck if I position the bun higher on my head. Some buns I just can not do without discomfort, like the lazy wrap bun.

Beets
April 1st, 2010, 09:41 PM
I swear I get sore spots that sometimes turn into headaches if it's been too long between washings. I know it sounds kooky, but my best guess is that it's about blood circulation. A good scrubby wash gets the blood flowing, and that always works.

As far as styles go, I can usually tell immediately if I'm going to get a headache from the stress of a style. There's a certain feel to it.

And my hair texture is not nearly as variable now as a 30-something as it was when I was in my teens and twenties. I think hormones have something to do with it. Come to think of it, I think hormones have something to do with everything. :p

Oskimosa
April 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have to make sure that I don't torque the stick too tight, which can be difficult at times. It's a very fine line between comfort and pain. I seem to have better luck if I position the bun higher on my head. Some buns I just can not do without discomfort, like the lazy wrap bun.

The lazy wrap is more comfortable for me than, say, a cinnabun. I think it has to do with the way my noggin is shaped and the angle of the sticks. I'm so concerned with breaking the stick while inserting it in the wrap that I end up doing it more loosely than when I do a cinnabun, where I am just jamming it in I suppose.

gmdiaz
April 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I've had to take aspirin and then wash my hair to get rid of the ocassional hair headache.

It feels like I've worn my hair "wrong" that day or or that it just needs to be washed. I never get this from wearing my hair down and loose.

I remember this happening a lot when I was a kid but not very often now.

I don't know if it's sweat, oils or too much conditioner, some sort of shampoo build up, or that circulation gets blocked but whatever it is, does give me a headache.

I don't get headaches wearing my hair up at all and can wear most any bun style. . .that I can manage. I wear a cinnamon braid most of the time, just loosely coiled and held with a fork.

Pixna
April 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
The lazy wrap is more comfortable for me than, say, a cinnabun. I think it has to do with the way my noggin is shaped and the angle of the sticks. I'm so concerned with breaking the stick while inserting it in the wrap that I end up doing it more loosely than when I do a cinnabun, where I am just jamming it in I suppose.

The Lazy Wrap is comfortable for me, too, but so much depends on where I place the bun on my head. It's amazing how heavy it can feel it if isn't placed right. I also worry about breaking my sticks. I prefer sturdy sticks made of strong woods for that reason. I fear breaking them because they are so expensive! If I make a bun too loose, it doesn't feel secure, but if I make it too snug, it's impossible to get the stick through it.

girloctopus
April 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM

I have trouble making the lazy wrap bun loose enough to be comfortable and tight enough to be secure. It just always seems off balance to me as well. It's a shame because I love how easy it is!!

halo_tightens
April 2nd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ugh, how I wish I could do a lazy wrap bun with all of my hair! It's going to be a while, though. Not long enough and too darn thick!

I love doing them as half-ups, though. It works really nicely on my hair.

You know, that's one of the things I really do love about having really thick hair... We can do a half-up bun, and still have a "normal" amount of hair left to hang down! :D

Roseate
April 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
You know, that's one of the things I really do love about having really thick hair... We can do a half-up bun, and still have a "normal" amount of hair left to hang down! :D

Totally agree! I love this about my hair. I just had it in a lazy-wrap half-up yesterday, and I felt like a princess, I must admit. :king:

girloctopus
April 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I adore half-ups :D A good excuse to buy barrettes as well! I also highly recommend the small hair brooches from Nightblooming for half-ups, especially for thick hair. It looks like Roseate is wearing one in her avatar. They hold a lot of hair in a half-up. I just wish they came large enough to hold all my hair!

Oskimosa
April 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Ugh, how I wish I could do a lazy wrap bun with all of my hair! It's going to be a while, though. Not long enough and too darn thick!

I love doing them as half-ups, though. It works really nicely on my hair.

It's ok, don't feel bad. I've only been able to do it for about, what, a WEEK. Also, it only works if I do it JUST RIGHT. Layers. :rolleyes:

Pixna
April 3rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Ugh, how I wish I could do a lazy wrap bun with all of my hair! It's going to be a while, though. Not long enough and too darn thick

I've got the same challenges. However, I CAN do a Lazy Wrap SOME days. I have a LOT of trouble doing one the first day or two after I wash my hair. In fact, getting ANY bun to stay in my hair then is a challenge -- I have to try everything I've got in my repertoire before something works. I went through this just today (I washed my hair last evening). Once I get something to hold securely, I just leave it in as long as possible. I think after our hair gets a little longer, it will be much easier for us. (At least I hope so!!)

halo_tightens
April 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
I think after our hair gets a little longer, it will be much easier for us. (At least I hope so!!)

I feel certain that we'll be able to do it all when we have more length to work with. I just hate the waiting, lol.

But think of it... Our buns will be HUGE! :cool: