PDA

View Full Version : What if hair grew much faster?

DakarNick
February 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
I like to ponder about hypothetical situations and this one came to mind.

Most of us would like our hair to grow faster, naturally.

So what if it was different? What if hair grew, instead of the average 1/2" per month, it grew say, four times faster, 2" per month (2' per year), or even eight times faster, 4" per month (4' per year)?

I don't necessarily think there would be more long-haired people. It would be much easier for people to grow it long faster, IF they wanted it. But it may be a nuisance to others.

Hair salons would probably be like gas stations, one on every corner.

What else? :)

lux_aeterna
February 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM
Well, if you're not fond of your natural hair color, you'd have to henna/dye/whatever it a lot more often. Or most people would just leave it be. :D

DakarNick
February 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Well, if you're not fond of your natural hair color, you'd have to henna/dye/whatever it a lot more often. Or most people would just leave it be. :D

Ah, of course, dye companies would be making (more of) a fortune!

Eryka
February 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hair salons are on every corner in Copenhagen, ironically. But I'd love it if my hair grew scary fast. Doesn't take long to trim.

Mae
February 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
I guess people would be less worried about damage, because it wouldn't be a big deal to take a few inches off. Also, Locks of Love would have a lot more donations.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
so many things would happen:

-hair extension costs would drop by half,
-having long hair would no longer be extraordinary,
-Most people would stop using dye and/or relaxers,
-damage wouldn't be feared, so there would be less haircare products available,

these are all i can think of right now :D but yeh, world would be a better place.

slz
February 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
-Most people would stop using dye and/or relaxers
And then others would use much more : I'd try every crazy colour as I wouldn't be that scared of damage anymore :D .

Hana
February 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
The only response I can think of is "ah, if only...."

i'd love it if my hair grew that fast! then again, i'd love it if my hair grew any faster than it does now....

GoddesJourney
February 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Are you kidding? It does! Now, if only the hair on my head would grow as fast as the hair on my legs... :D

But really, I think people would have a lot more fun experimenting with their hair, changing styles all the time. I would have more courage to try new things like this because I would be able to grow it out pretty fast if I didn't like it. I would shave my head just to try it out. Also, it would be even more maintenance to have a simple layered haircut. It would look terrible in two weeks.

chopandchange
February 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Sigh. What a nice idea. :)

We'd all reach our "goal" lengths a lot sooner, wouldn't we?

Fractalsofhair
February 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hmm. I'd think it might be the same as today, if terminal lengths and damage remained the same. I know a lot of people with fast growing hair simply find it annoying, and go to cheaper salons every 2 weeks, as guys do.

Elainehali
February 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM
growing out hair color would be super fast!

Who would still take the time to dye their hair once a week? It doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

Peter
February 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Terminal length would be REALLY long.

So many people here are at hip or classic... they would have hair 2x floor length. Yikes.

Rhiannon7
February 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Ohhh! what a great idea! always dream about this. If my hair grew let's say 2 inches a month....i'd reach my goal length in only 1 year! yay! such sweet dreams. but real life is much sadder, wish my hair grew faster, if even 1/2 an inch faster than now.

Although i'd have to henna once a month instead of every 3 months. but i'd manage. less damage, more length, dreamy!

freznow
February 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wow, it would be so annoying! People could dye their hair for events and not really worry about it later but if you wanted the color for more than a week...! Then again, maybe we'd have quicker more convenient dying methods? Robotic hair salons? Think of all the innovations in hair technology and products because everyone's so concerned at controlling their manes!

Capybara
February 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
I think that, if 4 inches of growth a month were the norm, everyone would (knowing no different) keep relatively the same styles as they do now. I mean, they wouldn't know any better! Most people I know (that are not aspiring longhairs :P) like to have the most low-maintenance hairstyles possible. If that were still the case, I think that there would be possibly less dye usage, as the upkeep would be tremendously time consuming! (not to mention expensive!)

Although, for many of the people on LHC, me included, I think they'd have some crazy long hair! :cheese:

Carolyn
February 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
If mine grew 4" a month I'd be such a happy camper. I don't think I'd go beyond classic even if I could. But I'd have great ends. However I'd be broke from coloring and high lighting.

Noctifer
February 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM
Im not sure if i would like that or not. Sure it would be much eaiser to grow out my natrual colour (think im on my third try now). And reach the goal lenght but the the trimming to keep it that lenght would sooner or later drive me crazy

Quixii
February 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Honestly, I probably wouldn't have long hair. If I knew it grew two or four feet per year, I would probably try out every short hair style, because, hey - it'll grow back, and it'll grow back without much time.
Forums like this probably wouldn't exist, because no one needs help growing their hair if it grows four feet in a year.

*Aoife*
February 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
I would destroy my hair with bleach and weird colours and not care about the after effects. If it only take a year to grow out again. Or else I'd have floor length hair. I could chop off the damage and it would grow back in two weeks....

If only!

jera
February 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Sigh. What a nice idea. :)

We'd all reach our "goal" lengths a lot sooner, wouldn't we?

We would but if everyone was a longhair, would LHC still exist? Who could we brag to? And would anyone bother?:o

My favorite passtime would be gone.

Terminal length would be REALLY long.

So many people here are at hip or classic... they would have hair 2x floor length. Yikes.

Haha. Terminal length would probably be around the block !:D

The vacuum cleaner business would do better if everyone's hair grew super fast. Do you have any idea how fast shedded long hairs can destroy a vacuum? :)

contradiction
February 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
People's stray hairs would be EVERYWHERE, if hair grew faster than it does now. In your food, on your chairs, on the ground, on your clothes....

TheLuckyLurker
February 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I don't know about four inches a month; I'd be happy if my hair grew as fast as my fingernails (stupid fingernails, needing a trim every single week...).

Benjamin_T
February 22nd, 2010, 04:47 AM
My hair will completely overwhelm me!

I'll be forced to indulge in it. :p

hydrangea
February 22nd, 2010, 04:58 AM
more money to the hair product/tool/toy companies! ;)

hydrangea
February 22nd, 2010, 04:58 AM
oh...and I'd be much happier and more satisfied! :D

Arctic
February 22nd, 2010, 05:09 AM
I always dream of fast growth and - even though I hate to admit it - envy people who have fast hair growth. My hair is avarage grower, with occasional spurts. Before LHC it never bothered me. Infact most of my life I have has short or bob hair styles and they looked good much longer than for some of my friends with faster growth. When you want to keep your hair short, the fast growth can be annoyance.

If hair universally really would grow that fast, I think there would be more people with long hair, both male and female alike. Maybe really short hair styles would get more "wow" reaction, like in current situation really long hair does.

I would change styles often, and would enjoy trying different colours. Hmmm, maybe they would sell pill to make hair grow slower?