PDA

View Full Version : Please 'splain something to me...

whiteisle
February 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM
Shampoos with silicones (dimethicone or amodimethicone) - why? Do you get build-up when it's in the shampoo? Can shampoo remove/prevent build-up while containing cones? Just a little confused here. :confused: I thought cones and sulfates weren't "friends" per se. :p

Gothic Lolita
February 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM
You remove silicones when using a sulfate-shampoo, that's right. But when your shampoo already does contain silicones they're likely to cause build-up over time, since silicones aren't normally removed after a single wash. But silicones on your length which are in your conditioner are more likely to form built-up over time than just your shampoo on your roots. To remove the ones from your length you'd need to shampoo (probably multiple times) your entire length.

Lemur_Catta
February 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
That's true, but I also noticed that mainstream people, the ones who use shampoo and conditioner with cones, do not really have build up. Commercial shampoos and conditioner are made to be used like most people do, shampooing the scalp and the length, maybe even two times, and then conditioning all hair (that's what is written on the bottles, at least here). So, if you shampoo your hair every time, you are less likely to have build up that if you use the same products but without shampooing the length or doing CWC for example.

Copasetic
February 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Shampoos with silicones (dimethicone or amodimethicone) - why? Do you get build-up when it's in the shampoo? Can shampoo remove/prevent build-up while containing cones? Just a little confused here. :confused: I thought cones and sulfates weren't "friends" per se. :p

I have been wondering this for AGES! I think the shampoo with silicones washes old silicones away, and then deposits new silicone. Plus, newer silicones are made so that they only form one layer, and don't continuously build up on one another so for a lot of people build-up wouldn't be an issue.

SurprisingWoman
February 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
I use cones and I NEVER clarify. I tried it when I first came to LHC but no more. My hair is doing well being left basically alone.

Roseate
February 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have been wondering this for AGES! I think the shampoo with silicones washes old silicones away, and then deposits new silicone. Plus, newer silicones are made so that they only form one layer, and don't continuously build up on one another so for a lot of people build-up wouldn't be an issue.

I think you're right about this; the sulfates strip away some of the old silicone, and some of the new silicone is deposited, leaving the hair with a consistent coating of silicone that never goes away, but never gets any thicker either.

If your hair does well with a silicone coating, it all works out. Many people like the protection, shine and slip of silicone, so they're happy to have it on their hair all the time.

jera
February 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM

That's what I've always thought, but it's all so confusing. I just avoid cones. Period. :p

Shicurls
February 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I thought the 'cones in the shampoo were only there to provide slip for the detergent so it doesn't tangle in the strands as much.....:shrug:

spidermom
February 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Several silicone formulations evaporate by the time hair has dried and are there to prevent damage while you're handling wet hair.