PDA

View Full Version : what do you think *honestly*

redneckprincess
February 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I decided to give my hair a TEMPORARY change the other day while I was waiting for my henna to come in...(this was a few days ago and is almost gone now..by the way)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4808&pictureid=64480

what do you think...I know its a pic of the back and you cant see my face...I have another (kindof) if youd like to see to make a decision but I wonder what you think of the picture linked above?!?!

soobie
February 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I think it looks nice!

angelthadiva
February 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Honestly? I like the blonde better, but that is just me. :flower:

melrose1985
February 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I think the color came out nice... I think i missed something.. are you planning on henna?

sarah061
February 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I think it's a really pretty color but I think you're right about the ends - I think if they could be darker like the color of the roots/top bit of your hair then it would be perfect! Is there a way to do that, like if you dyed over the top of the ends would it get darker? Or does it not work that way? But anyway, I'm kind of biased because I have bit of an obsession for dark red/brown hair. I think it looks really pretty though! :) Was it hard to do? I've never tried henna before. I'm gonna go read up on it - thanks for the inspiration!

redneckprincess
February 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I think the color came out nice... I think i missed something.. are you planning on henna?
well mostly cassia but Im thinking about mixing henna and buxus or indigo for more of a brown shade... but yeah maybe someday a little redder would be nice

I think it's a really pretty color but I think you're right about the ends - I think if they could be darker like the color of the roots/top bit of your hair then it would be perfect! Is there a way to do that, like if you dyed over the top of the ends would it get darker? Or does it not work that way? But anyway, I'm kind of biased because I have bit of an obsession for dark red/brown hair. I think it looks really pretty though! :) Was it hard to do? I've never tried henna before. I'm gonna go read up on it - thanks for the inspiration!

no thats not henna yet, its a temporary dye from Sallys!!

yes I have thought about color matching my ends to my virgin color...no matter what I plan to do after

Luckysock
February 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
the red is pretty, what is your natural shade?

Roseate
February 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Going off my memory of your skin tone, it might work better if it was a little warmer, or a little browner- in that pic it looks quite cool red. Some kind of auburn/brownish red would probably look great on you!

ericthegreat
February 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I love the color you achieved on your roots and all the way down to the mid-section of your hair RNP. :cheer: All you really need is to darken the ends a bit, perhaps the next time you really decide to go for the henna/cassia mix, leave it on your ends longer so it has more time to absorb.

Demetrue
February 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I like it! And I don't mind the ends being lighter. I think it looks cool.

walterSCAN
February 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM
From that shot, I like it a lot (lighter ends and all), but it's hard to tell if it suits you without seeing it next to your face...

Rhiannon7
February 20th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Lovely color, yes ends are a bit too orange, but well when you henna/cassia just start at the ends and go up to the roots, that way the ends get more time to darken.

But love the red color. of course i am biased, natural red head who does henna to brighten.

FrannyG
February 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
While I love the colour in the photo, without seeing your face and skin tone, it's hard to say whether it suits you or not.

There have been people here who have used Henna and/or Indigo, and discovered it did not suit their skin tone. Most of them had to cut off their hair because removing henna is so damaging. Henna is almost impossible to remove safely, so think long and hard before you commit to it.

Sylvanas
February 21st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Honestly - I think the colour looks good on top of your virgin hair, but I prefer your natural blonde shade :)

Sammich
February 21st, 2010, 06:02 AM
Well, I like the colour but to be honest. I love your natural way better. :)

lapushka
February 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Honestly? I like the blonde better, but that is just me. :flower:

I like the blond better too, but the red isn't bad either. If you henna, though, I don't know if its going to be that dark. You might end up with a color that's more orange than red because your hair is so light blond.

juliaxena
February 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
Honestly I prefer your natural collor. I'd just match the ends with it and that's all.

Peter
February 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
It's tough to say with only a picture from the back, but I think I prefer the blonde. :flower:

SunshineHair
February 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
Over time, after adding henna a few times it will become a deeper richer color! I like it :)

Yozhik
February 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm with the crowd that thinks it's a great color, but would like to see it in contrast with your skin color/face. :flower:

The red looks awesome, though!

Fractalsofhair
February 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think it will look nice with the warmth of the henna red. Just remember, Henna is TOTALLY long lasting, so if you're at all doubtfull, wait a few weeks.

dagny
February 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
Well, I am biased because I have always had red hair (even if it has darkened over time...), but I like the red.

The problem, however, is that blonde hair with henna usually starts off really orange (even MY hair turns orange with henna!). If orange (copper) does not suit your skintone, then you will be very unhappy.

I would recommend going to a wig shop/local mall/Sally's and trying on the orangest Bozo-the-Clown wig/hairpiece you can find and then try it on. IF it looks good -- then go for the henna if that is what you desire. If it looks horrid, then I would swatch test, swatch test, and swatch test until you find the shade of red that suits your skin tone.

And then wait an extra 2 weeks before you decide to do it.... :-) Just to be safe.

redneckprincess
February 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
ok I'll get that other pic on tomorrow!!

second..wow that temporary washes out QUICKLY, Its already gone on the blonde but still somewhat visible on the natural...

anyways, thanks to all those said what they thought weather or not they liked it. Yes I realize that henna would be more orange then red...so that kinda stops me

I heard Sally's sells hair color swatches and can be matched to the starting hair color(s) and used as "strand tests"...I may just have to make a trip out there soon.

MissMandyElizab
February 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
i like the red it looks so nice

Ursula
February 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
While it is red, the color doesn't really look like henna to me in that picture. The tones are off a bit, and the depth of the color. So I'm not sure how well your experience with this color will reflect how henna will look on your hair.

Have you done strand tests with saved shed hair? How does the tone compare?

countryhopper
February 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
I think I also like the blond better, since there is no way to tell how the red looks next to your face.

I think you were really smart to use a temporary dye first. I have seen beautiful pictures of hennaed hair, but just knowing that you can't change your mind later and color over it would prevent me from ever trying it.

Could you just try coloring for a few weeks to see if you like being a red head? Henna is just so... permanent. Not in a bad way, but I feel so sorry to see pictures of people who shaved their heads to get rid of the henna. Don't do it unless you're 100% sure you want to do it or don't care about the consequences of getting rid of it.

Sorry to be a party pooper! Do what you feel is best for YOU!

And don't forget to post pics either way :)

hydrangea
February 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
So you're going to think I'm crazy. But I'm totally with you on the roots. Love it! (Here's the crazy part ....--->) I think you should cut most of the damage off. As in cut it back to shoulder length. :couch: I have heard that damage travels upwards. I'm thinking about doing it too. It will really be hard and I will hate it. But slow and steady is the way to go and the healthier the better. I love the red though! Can't wait to see what your healthy hair looks like with the henna. :cheer: And please, this is only an opinion. You should do what you want to do don't think about what othe people think. P.S. This snow is so much fun!!!! I totally want to run outside and make snow angels.

redneckprincess
February 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
i did wind up cutting off some damaged ends yesterday, not by length though, by layering...I will eventually have to cut into the length if I dont want layers but for the time being I can at least deal with this for awhile, it was already layered (badly) so it just looks less blonde ♥
I decided not to go through with the henna red for the time being, though its on its way and should be here this week...I'll freeze it for a while and maybe decide later and save shed hairs for a while

So you're going to think I'm crazy. But I'm totally with you on the roots. Love it! (Here's the crazy part ....--->) I think you should cut most of the damage off. As in cut it back to shoulder length. :couch: I have heard that damage travels upwards. I'm thinking about doing it too. It will really be hard and I will hate it. But slow and steady is the way to go and the healthier the better. I love the red though! Can't wait to see what your healthy hair looks like with the henna. :cheer: And please, this is only an opinion. You should do what you want to do don't think about what othe people think. P.S. This snow is so much fun!!!! I totally want to run outside and make snow angels.

Toadstool
February 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I LOVE the red!!! I would henna.

Dani
February 22nd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Have you ever tried color depositing shampoos and conditioners? ARTec and Aveda make awesome ones for brown hair. I've been through growing out bleach damage many times in the past, and my method of choice for making my light hair darker and match my dark blonde was to use those once a week or so. Easy, no damage, and you can just go about your business, not worrying about what your color looks like. If I have learned ANYTHING about growing hair long, it is this: Leave Your Hair Alone. The easiest route is to use those color depositing s/c, and let your natural color grow out, and trim every few months. That's it. Just keep doing that and you'll have long, healthy, natural hair.

JamieLeigh
February 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
I love the color - it's very vibrant and eye-catching! But I do agree that a warmer, browner red would be more suited to your skin tone. I think you can pull off red with no problem, as long as it isn't such a cool red.

I can't wait to see what happens with your henna. If it weren't for Facebook, I'd never have known you were trying it! :D

redneckprincess
February 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Have you ever tried color depositing shampoos and conditioners? ARTec and Aveda make awesome ones for brown hair. I've been through growing out bleach damage many times in the past, and my method of choice for making my light hair darker and match my dark blonde was to use those once a week or so. Easy, no damage, and you can just go about your business, not worrying about what your color looks like. If I have learned ANYTHING about growing hair long, it is this: Leave Your Hair Alone. The easiest route is to use those color depositing s/c, and let your natural color grow out, and trim every few months. That's it. Just keep doing that and you'll have long, healthy, natural hair.
I have and they dont work, but thanks ☺

I love the color - it's very vibrant and eye-catching! But I do agree that a warmer, browner red would be more suited to your skin tone. I think you can pull off red with no problem, as long as it isn't such a cool red.

I can't wait to see what happens with your henna. If it weren't for Facebook, I'd never have known you were trying it! :DLOL, thank goodness for facebook huh? yep, it should be here soon and I think Im going to go to Sallys to buy some hair swatches so I can "strand test " themI'll let ya know what I decide