PDA

View Full Version : Poo Only...?

GoddesJourney
February 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Does anyone *just* poo their hair in the shower? I was wondering about this because I knew a girl that had pretty nice hair and she would only use shampoo. I've been doing this CO thing for about a week and a half, and I decided to try something else, just to try. I washed just the scalp area with diluted shampoo. I tried this again today. It's interesting since I've been stretching washes. The greasy thing is starting to get under control, but the dandruff issue just isn't budging. I get flaky if I don't do something about it daily. I can't really just scrub my scalp with my fingers while it's only wet, because my hair feels like a sticky mess when it's wet (as in WO). Anyway, I'm wondering if I can somehow get away with just a gentle shampoo on just the roots maybe every other day. Maybe I can find a way to CO inbetween. I guess that way I only would have to use one product at a time. I would be able to shower faster. That's sort of the goal. I'm trying to find ways I can shower faster for boot camp.

GlassEyes
February 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM

I...er...

Okay, ignoring the title and such, there are quite a few members here who only use shampoo, most of them straight haired. Some like to oil before or after, and find that alone gives them the conditioning they need.

I, obviously, am not one of those people, so that's all I'm qualified to say. XD

GoddesJourney
February 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I was thinking I could oil with coconut oil before or afterward, lightly. I might have time for that since it won't be *in* the shower.

Qadupae
February 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I do poo only ^_^ I have oily and straight hair, but its too short to keep in an updo in between washings and my job requires strict hygiene, so its easier for me to just use poo and let my natural oils seep into my hair throughout the day. The greasiness has lowered since I stopped using sulfates and switched to bars, but until I can start putting my hair up, I have to keep my greasiness and wash every day.

If keeping oil is more of your concern, I agree with your coconut oil idea then ^_^

Mae
February 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I did this for a while using Pure Life Soap Co. Chamomile Shampoo (it's very gentle).
From my personal experience:

Pros:
convenience
volume
less handling and scrubbing than with co
less build-up

Cons:
tangles
drier ends
less silky feel

Wicked Princess
February 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I tried this method for awhile a few months ago. I would heavily oil it before I shampoo'd, then shampoo'd with regular, sulfate-free shampoo, not a bar, and would rinse with vinegar diluted in water afterwards. I never noticed an increase or decrease in tangly-ness.

However, my ends can be prone to dryness so I went back to using conditioner after a while. If I were to only shampoo in the future, I'd have to spray on some leave-in conditioner afterwards.

GoddesJourney
February 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm on the no sulphate thing, yes.

adiapalic
February 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
A long while back I went from the traditional Shampoo/rinse-Conditioning/rinse (scalp to ends) to try out CO for about a month or more, and my scalp just couldn't take it (this was CO every 3 days or so).

I had the oily scalp, with itchy flakies and stuff. I massaged gently and thoroughly, rinsed for long time, etc. Hair just wanted to dry oily, and my scalp would begin itching that very day.

What I *personally* have found to suit me is primarily shampooing the scalp (and occasionally working the shampoo down to reduce conditioner buildup) and conditioning ends only.

I am prone to dandruff and oily scalp though, and this is what has been working for me for about 2 years.

All that said--I don't think I could ever survive on Shampoo only OR Conditioner only regimens.

:)

GoddesJourney
February 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Great everybody. Thanks for the fast feedback!

Jordan S.
February 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think it's healthy.

Loviatar
February 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Shampoo only is perfectly healthy if your hair can take it.

I have days when I just use shampoo. Not often, and always non sulphate shampoos unless I am doing a proper deep cleanse (like when I used to strip everything off my hair before hennaing, or when I wanted to see if my hair needed more moisture or more protein.)

I am currently having a lot of luck with wetting my hair, conditioning the length, then using a non sulphate shampoo to clean the scalp, letting the suds run down the length, rinse and then air drying my hair off. No conditioner after that. This way seems to work nicely for me. It spreads out my washes, too.

My hair would be too fine and damaged to cope with a sulphate shampoo and no conditioner frequently.

Copasetic
February 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
My hair needs conditioner, but I know a lot of people in real life who shampoo only. They are all people with short straight hair though.

may1em
February 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
I sometimes do a scalp-only wash with Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo, and that works pretty well as an occasional thing (scalp grody, length fine). I don't think my hair would respond well to shampoo only on the whole length, though.

nowxisxforever
February 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
My hair doesn't generally respond very well to conditioners, oddly enough (they don't do a whole heck of a lot) so I've done poo-only on and off since I started growing my hair out. It works best with no-sulfate or with very gentle sulfate shampoos, diluted, on the scalp only. I used oils when necessary for moisture.

amaiaisabella
February 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
I suppose you COULD consider me shampoo-only, since that's all I use in the shower, but what I do is dampen my hair very lightly, and apply conditioner on my length, let that soak in a few hours. I don't coat the hair, but sort of do a leave-in type amount. I clip the hair up, leave that for several hours, then rinse and shampoo in the shower. I have a pretty moisturizing shampoo, though, so I'm not sure it'd work for more drying shampoos. Sometimes I use a leave-in after, sometimes I don't. My hair is still pretty short.

mellie
February 21st, 2010, 05:16 PM
I've used shampoo only for as long as I can remember. My hair is naturally quite oily and conditioner always makes my hair lank and greasy and gross. I don't use any rinses either. Like Nowxisxforever, I use gentle shampoo (Alverde) and dilute it too. Also I just rinse it onto my scalp, no rubbing or friction.

Lately I've been experimenting with MoroccanOil brand hair oil on the ends every few days, and that seems nice, but it's quite happy and shiny and healthy without it too.

Lamb
February 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Does anyone *just* poo their hair in the shower?
I don't think that's physically possible. :ponder:

Oh! :eek: I see what you mean. :o I did use only shampoo, no conditioner, no styling products, no nothing for years before finding the LHC. My hair wasn't in a very bad shape, but of course, it was fairly short.
If your hair likes sulphates and conventional shampoo, I think going without conditioner for a short while could be beneficial. It might help rid your hair of buildup. I wouldn't create a routine of it, but YMMV.

For boot camp, a 2-in-1 or a very creamy, moisturizing shampoo might be the way to go. There are conefree 2-in-1 shampoos out there (eg. the L'Oreal for kids kind).

countryhopper
February 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM
In addition to whatever you use (CWC or shampoo or whatever), have you tried a vinegar rinse? I've heard good things about 50/50 vinegar to water applied to the scalp, massaged in, and rinsed well.

It's supposed to be very good for dandruff. I keep vinegar AWAY from my scalp because it seems to make me oily.

Couldn't hurt to try! Try either white or ACV.

ericthegreat
February 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
When I was a child, I used only shampoo on my hair by default. My mother knew nothing about conditioner back then either, and she used to wash my hair for me when I was very young so of course I did what she taught me. It was only when my mother started getting her greys, and she started coloring her hair that she learned about the necessity of using conditioner. She started greying and then coloring her hair when I turned around 14, which is coincidently enough when I decided to grow out my hair long. I saw all the tubes of after-color hair conditioner in the shower, so my curious self decided to try a little bit of it on my own hair. I was amazed at how silky smooth and good it made my hair feel, and that was when my addiction to conditioner all began. I now CO my hair every night!

I was able to get away with shampooing only because my hair was only chin length back then. I definitely wouldn't chance doing that with all the length I have now. If you have very short hair and decide to keep it short, shampooing only is enough I suppose. :) But once it gets longer than shoulder blade length, I think just about everyone needs a extra dose of moisturizing whether it be from using conditioners, oils, or both.

catfish
February 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have very successfully in the past used only shampoo, however, I did use oils daily and a catnip rinse. I think it can work great for some people and if using the right shampoo.

GoddesJourney
February 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
In addition to whatever you use (CWC or shampoo or whatever), have you tried a vinegar rinse? I've heard good things about 50/50 vinegar to water applied to the scalp, massaged in, and rinsed well.

It's supposed to be very good for dandruff. I keep vinegar AWAY from my scalp because it seems to make me oily.

Couldn't hurt to try! Try either white or ACV.

Yeah, I don't have dandruff/flakes or whatever as long as I keep up with the washing. I don't see any until day two. Also, I have no time or patience for things like ACV. I did try it before and it really didn't do anything for me. Also, I'm pretty sure I won't have time for that at boot camp. Right now I'm trying to figure a way to avoid the hassle of shampoo AND conditioner in the shower because it takes too long. Also, I'm not going to be able to bring a whole lot of product with me, so it really matters that whatever it is works. I'm back on the CO for now with the Triple Nutrition right now because I think it will be easy to find when I run out. I'm not sure what kind of poo only to bring. I just tried the Alba Coconut Milk stuff and apparently the cleaning agent is a little harsher than the Trader Joe's stuff. Good to know. I'll CO for a few more days and see if I can do it with just a little conditioner. Maybe I can just poo only once a week or something.

Flaxen
February 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
I've been shampoo only since about the first of the year, and so far it's going splendidly. I do oil beforehand, and that seems to be enough conditioning. :smile:

ademtce
February 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
i do this all the time, i haven't touch conditioner in almost year now, and i'd have to say my hair is int he best shape its ever been in. im absolutely SLS free too. incredibly i find with my shampoo (Sudzx fx Whipped Creme & honey) if i leave it in for 5 minutes, it leaves my hair wonderfully soft/

the only thing i use after a shower is a little spray detangler. my hair is curly, a relaxed curl but not wavy.

Whimsical wind
February 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but what I do is shampoo in the shower and then follow with a ACV rinse. I've been doing this for years and my hair is in great condition. Goodluck!

Vivien'
February 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
No need to use a conditioner... I used shampoo *only* (Oh my god ! Oh my god ! Oh my god !) for years and it was fine. Now it's even healthier and cheaper 'cause I don't use anything at all.

florenonite
February 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I find conditioner weighs my hair down and makes it greasy, because it's fine. I do oil before and after washing (heavily before, lightly after), but besides that I just 'poo.

embee
February 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Years ago when I *scrubbed* my hair I had to use conditioner or it was just Tangle City. Now I use an extremely diluted shampoo and only scritch the scalp briefly. Then it's rinse, rinse, rinse.

When I use conditioner my hair is even more limp than usual and I need to wash much more frequently which I am trying to avoid. So I have some, but haven't used it in a year or so.

yellowchariot
February 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
I used to all of the time, when it was short. Now if I just use shampoo, I have a rat's nest when I try to comb it. Now that I'm @APL conditioner is a must :shrug:.

Shicurls
February 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hmm, this interests me.....again.....because my Grandma (whose hair I inherited) has beautiful soft curls with shampoo only and hairsprayshudder:

I saw her yesterday and at 82 (she's never colored) her dark hair is still gorgeous! Granted she has short hair, but I wonder if shampooing only with the occasional leave-in might be the ticket to nice hair for me. My scalp requires constant washing with SLS's.

What are some of the products you guys use? I saw Queen Helene...any others?

Oh, I forgot to say that I did shampoo only today and put in a bit of oil afterwards and so far I have great looking curls!

christine1989
February 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Poo only!? Dear god! That would spell disaster for my hair. I wouldn't reccomend it- it is very drying especially for the ends.

jaine
February 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think I could do poo only because the shampoo would never rinse out completely in my water. I can stand under running water for 10 minutes and still have bubbles in my hair. But a handful of conditioner helps all of the shampoo rinse out immediately. Someone who visited me from AZ told me my water was extremely soft so maybe that's why.