PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my hair

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for opinions on how I should wear my hair. I've been wondering whether I should do something different with it, cut it a bit shorter, etc.

One of the ladies who works in the same office building says that she thinks it would look great wavy/curly.
One of my friends says it would look better if I cut it roughly to shoulder length (I'm pretty sure nobody here's going to agree with this :p).
My stylist says she thinks I should leave it at the length it is and keep it straight.
The lady who owns the salon I go to says she saw a man at a fashion show who had the same face and hair as I did, and he looked amazing in a tuxedo with his hair slicked back into a ponytail. I, personally, think I would look absolutely ridiculous in a tuxedo.

I don't have anyone to take a picture for me, so these are pretty terrible mirror pictures with my phone. Which isn't meant to take very high quality pictures in the first place.
The first picture is very recent, after washing and a brief straightening with no finishing product. It has a lot more volume than it usually does.
The second is from some months ago. Try to ignore how creepy (stoned?) I look. My hair is more like that (i.e. no volume) normally. The way my head is tilted emphasizes my chin fat. Try to ignore that, too.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs370.snc3/23799_331736291064_591726064_3993424_5153672_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs090.snc3/15731_210943506064_591726064_3513259_1958240_n.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Charlotte
February 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM
My first thought when I look at your hair is WOW! :D I think that your hair is lovely and would leave it exactly as it is. :)

1nuitblanche
February 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I agree--your hair looks very good just the way it is! I definitely think that the straight hair is better than wavy/curly hair would be. If you want to change it up a bit, you could maybe try trimming an inch or two off? Even though it was small, that made a world of difference for me in December when I felt ho-hum about my hair. It also thickened up the hemline which was nice. But, really, your hair looks nice how you've got it.

vdhendrix
February 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
i think it looks good at the length it is, it would look good either straight or wavey

Mae
February 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Definitely lovely as it is. For a change, I think your hair would look good in a braid, and then the next day you could rock the braid waves :)

GoddesJourney
February 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Braid or ponytail. Honestly, your hair looks great in it's natural state. It suits you. Nothing wrong with that.

loralie
February 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Amazing hair!!! I know guys can be self conscious about having long hair and get flack for being "metal" or a "hippie"... but honestly, you should rock it. You can always braid it, or put it up in a looped bun. be proud, not many men choose to grow it that long and show that kind of stamina!

It looks great!! :D

xoxophelia
February 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm guessing this is not your natural texture? It looks nice sleek, but on men a "messier" natural wavy look is awsome too. *sigh* don't cut it.

Chromis
February 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hard to say without knowing what it looks like in its natural state!

Aero
February 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I think you would look amazing in a tuxedo with your hair slicked back and tied! Its a classic look.

Sheltie_Momma
February 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Your hair is nice, your chin doesn't look fat. I like it the way it is!

Brat
February 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Wonder what it looks like without a straightening session?

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Well, thanks everyone :) I'll have to practice my braiding.

It looks like a wavy, frizzy mess without straightening. The main reason I won't wear it un-straightened, unless it's in a ponytail that not many people will be seeing, is that it's just not possible to get rid of the volume. I can't even express how much volume there is. I'd estimate it's at least three inches deep when completely air dried.

It's straight until it gets to a point between my chin and shoulders, then it starts to wave, and ends with loose curls. But again, I can't find a way to deal with the massive volume, aside from something drastic like covering it all in mousse and gel. It's unreal how poofy it is.

Quixii
February 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I also love your hair.
Though I'm curious as to what it would look like naturally, even with the "unrealistic volume." Maybe it looks really good, and you just don't realize it. ;)

Keep It Flowin
February 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I also love your hair.
Though I'm curious as to what it would look like naturally, even with the "unrealistic volume." Maybe it looks really good, and you just don't realize it. ;)

I agree, perhaps one day or weekend when you dont have much to do or anywhere to go you can let it do its natural thing and snap a pic in the mirror by facing away from the mirror and raising your trusty camera phone away from your head to snap the full back shot of it??? It will take a few shots to get a good one to post, but by each pic you'll know how to change the position of the phone.;)

NurseMama
February 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I would love to see your hair in it's natural state! Have you tried any of the nonheat ways of dealing with wavy/wurly hair? AVG? Oil?

ItalianFlower
February 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'm a curly... maybe stop by the wurly and curly thread and see if we can coax some curls out of it. :D It might surprise you how much you end up liking it! However, as is it is beautiful! Or handsome, in your case. Whatever, it looks good. :)

Brat
February 20th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Can you air dry it without touching it? That's how I get curls out of mine. If I touch it or mess with it, it gets frizzy. If I brush it out once while it's dripping wet and then leave it alone, the curls come out and there's MUCH LESS frizz. Give it a shot and see?

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 10:27 PM
It's not really frizz, it's more growth cycles. They're a lot more noticeable if I leave it.

Normally after washing it, I gently pat it dry with a towel and then comb it gently, otherwise I end up with tangles when it dries. I also apply Moroccan Oil to it after patting it dry. Other than that, I try to touch it as little as possible.

I'll try to take a picture of it next weekend, since I have to let it air dry before straightening it anyway.

Demetrue
February 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
It looks really nice. I think it would look cool slicked back into a ponytail!

Rhiannon7
February 20th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Great hair! love the color and the length. you should braid, then another day a ponytail and maybe another day 2 braids, or mini braids? but length is fantastic.

Lorien
February 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I say do whatever makes you happy, nothing wears better than that :)

Elainehali
February 20th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I may be partial, but straight hair looks awesome on you. :D

walterSCAN
February 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Your hair looks really nice in those pictures! I think I'm going to echo others who have said they'd like to see the natural texture though... What you describe sounds pretty awesome, IMHO.

Robbi Dehlinger
February 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
I think it is LOVELY and would not touch it or cut it!

How about an elegant updo, just for fun:)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 21st, 2010, 02:10 AM
I vote for leaving it as it is. YAY for super-straight hair! :D looks very cool on everyone!

zift
February 21st, 2010, 03:58 AM
If you listen to every single person who gives an opinion about your hair, you will be doomed because everyone will try to fill you up with those opinions as your hair gets longer. You should do what you want to do with your hair. If you want it to look more wavy you might try COing and pillow-plopping to enhance waves.
And if you're OK with straight hair which looks awesomely cool on you by the way, you might as well keep it as it is.:)

ETA: And I don't see why it needs to be cut back.

Sissy
February 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM
I think it looks good as it is. I think you're facial structure is one that would look with with either the straight style you have now or wavy/curly hair. You said it gets really poofy naturally? Do you mean that if you cut it short and let it go naturally it would be like say Sideshow Bob (http://thebluetwin.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/side-show-bob.jpg) hair (character off the Simpson's)? It's hard to tell without seeing it in it's natural state.

Personally, I would want whatever routine is easier for myself. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money or time at a salon having it straightened (not to mention this damages the hair). If it was very unruly/frizzy/poofy I wouldn't necessarily find that easy to deal with either. What I can say is that when I first joined LHC and started laying of flat ironing, blow drying, and such my hair was air drying horribly. It was a frizzy mess with uneven, messy wurls. I just toughed it out and before you know it my hair was drying almost completely straight. I have done CO washing and light oilings and I'm sure this all helped but I think a big part of my frizziness/waviness was simply that I had damaged my hair and once I started treating it well it calmed down on it's own. Maybe yours would do the same?

ooo
February 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM
The length is great, but a little messier and more volume would be fine too.

Benjamin_T
February 21st, 2010, 05:15 AM
Nice hair, keep it growing! :cool: (edit: Please, never cut it!)

Sammich
February 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM
I love your hair, and It's nice how you, as a guy in society today, have the guts to grow it long. <3 :)
I'd probably much prefer your natural texture though if you could please show us. :D

Savvyhorsez
February 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM
Definitely lovely as it is. For a change, I think your hair would look good in a braid, and then the next day you could rock the braid waves :)

Ditto! Then you'd have straight one day, then wavy the next!

Pixna
February 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM
I think your hair looks great just the way it is, but I'd really like to see it "natural." My hair is fluffy also, and after I wash and air-dry it, it is probably three inches deep, too. I think it looks cool like that. If you hair is healthy, I bet it would look cool that way, too.

As others have suggested, a braid or low pony would look terrific for a change. I also like buns on men. I think it takes a strong, confident man to wear a bun, but those who do look fabulous. And there are some fantastic, masculine hair sticks that you could get, so it could end up being a fun hobby as well.

Hana
February 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM
Nothing wrong with a low ponytail or a braid. Added bonus of the braid, as someone else mentioned, is the waves when you take it out. 2 birds with stone.
Personally, I love the straight and loose, but a little experimentation never hurt anyone. (hair-wise, at least)
And when it come down to it, do what the hell pleases you most, after all, it is your hair. Not anyone elses.

lux_aeterna
February 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Your hair looks stunning as it is..straight and silky!
I also have straight hair and wouldn't change a bit of it, but I'm happy with the braid waves once in a while.

Bunnyhare
February 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM

This is what i was thinking too! pull it back somedays and half up braids(Legolas/Gandalf style),full braids...do not get a perm!)IMO
It looks healthy and you don't look creepy! some women don't like long hair on a guy, lots of us do!

Yozhik
February 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Great hair! How long has it taken you to grow out? What are your current styles -- do you always wear it straightened and loose?

If so, I'd definitely recommend experimenting with ponytails, braids, etc, and see if you like any of those ways. It'd also give you the opportunity not to have to straighten every day. :)

PiroskaCicu
February 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM
Wow, your hair is great. I would leave it as it is... It's very handsome on you! :)

catysue
February 21st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Love it! :)

myrrhmaiden
February 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
I heart it. Leave it unless you're not happy. It looks great.

mellie
February 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
One more person saying leave it as it is, it looks awesome!!

zsuper
February 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks again.

I only wear it straight or slicked back in a ponytail; I have trouble getting it to go back nicely, though, so I usually end up with a case of helmet hair.

I've considered a braid before, but my braiding skills are sub-par. I need to practice. :p

Hana
February 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks again.

I only wear it straight or slicked back in a ponytail; I have trouble getting it to go back nicely, though, so I usually end up with a case of helmet hair.

I've considered a braid before, but my braiding skills are sub-par. I need to practice. :p

You can practice.
Get 3 ties or bits of string, tie them together at the top.
Hang them from a coat hanger, or shut them in a drawer, you can play with the ends as if they were your own hair.
Then try it with your own hair.

Only thing is, its nothing like doing it on the back of your own head, so it only works for braids that come from the nape of the neck down. It's how I first learnt how to do it.
I can still hear my mum say "Divide into 3, left over the middle, right over the middle", I added "repeat ad nauseum." Why? Because I was a smartass child. Thats why.

Das Siechtum
February 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah, your hair just screams: "Braid me!" ;-) and it looks also nice open, too. :-)