PDA

View Full Version : Hair washing with washcloth?

Talula
February 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hi All,

On another forum, someone talked about washing her hair with just a washcloth & water. I asked for details on her method, but never got a response. Have any of you tried this?

Thanks!

coscass
February 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
What purpose does the washcloth serve, I wonder? Maybe to wring water out onto her head.. but you could just as easily use a cup. Huh. No, I've never heard of it, but I'm curious to see what everyone else says.

shadowclaw
February 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I don't think actually using the washcloth to scrub your hair is a good idea, unless maybe you used all down strokes. Otherwise, I would think it would rough up the cuticle.

As for using it to wring water over your head, I guess that would work :) A cup would indeed work better, though.

whiteisle
February 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I think it is to help move the sebum down the hair shaft. :)

GoddesJourney
February 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM
You know, maybe if you used the washcloth to dilute that shampoo for your hair. Shampoo and water in the washcloth, part hair, swipe with washcloth, part hair in new spot, swipe with washcloth, repeat, repeat, etc. Rinse out.

walterSCAN
February 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
You know, maybe if you used the washcloth to dilute that shampoo for your hair. Shampoo and water in the washcloth, part hair, swipe with washcloth, part hair in new spot, swipe with washcloth, repeat, repeat, etc. Rinse out.

I read about people doing this^ on the no_poo LJ and it working for them. Some people also lather the shampoo in the washcloth and then wring the suds onto their hair as a way to dilute it.

As for the OP, I think the method you're referring to is what whiteisle said-- using the washcloth to move sebum down the hair
shaft using down-strokes only. Unless you part your hair a lot with this method, it really only moves sebum on the top layer. I didn't have much success with it when I tried because it's so hard to part my hair in the shower (SO many tangles... :cringe:).

DragonLady
February 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
I used to have to do that as a child, when I had to wash my hair in a basin of water because we didn't have plumbing. I don't recommend it unless you really have no choice.