PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with wind

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Some days I feel like wearing my hair down, but this poses a problem when I have to go outside. My hair is extremely light and even a gentle breeze can throw it around (usually in my face) or really frizz up the top. I always have a few pieces around my part that take forever to force to either side, and the wind likes to mess with them.

What do you do when you have to go out on a windy day?

The obvious answer seems to be a ponytail; I always keep two or three hairbands with me at all times, in case of emergency. But even with a ponytail, I find the wind likes to blow it up over my shoulder quite often. Also, it looks completely horrid, so I don't like doing it; I have a lot of baby hairs on the top of my head that make it look like a frizzy mess. If I leave my hair down, I can hide them under it, but when I pull it back they pop out.

I have seen someone who had a ribbon with two weights attached to it tied around the end of their ponytail, which I assumed was it keep it from being blown around, but I think I'd have trouble getting it tied around my hair, and I don't think I could pull it off as a guy.

HairColoredHair
February 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Tuck it into your shirt/coat? If it's not long enough for that... Um... I'm at a loss.

Lamb
February 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM
A wide headband, especially a cotton one, would help keep your hair within a mile of your scalp. ;) They make simple monochrome ones which shouldn't look too girly.
(I wear a kerchief or a shawl when I'm outside. My fine hair doesn't take kindly to wind, either.)

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Tuck it into your shirt/coat? If it's not long enough for that... Um... I'm at a loss.

Ah, I used to do that with a ponytail, but it causes the area it's against to sweat easily, which feels horrible. I also wear a well-fit dress shirt, so it's hard to get it securely down the back without taking it off and putting it back on over it.

I also have trouble getting it in my coat. When I leave it down, some of it likes to fall across my shoulders. When I put it in my coat, it obviously can't go along my shoulder, so it ends up going in front of my face.

zift
February 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
My hair doesn't fly that much but when I get caught up in a crazy wind I do a quick stickless bun and tuck the bun under my shirt:)

Lamb
February 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Buffs are also popular:
https://www.buffwear.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/1

ArienEllariel
February 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Some days I feel like wearing my hair down, but this poses a problem when I have to go outside. My hair is extremely light and even a gentle breeze can throw it around (usually in my face) or really frizz up the top. I always have a few pieces around my part that take forever to force to either side, and the wind likes to mess with them.

Story of my life. I just pull it into a ponytail or look really rediculous holding on to my hair. :P

Curlsgirl
February 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I also tuck my hair in or if I am just going from the car inside a short distance I actually hold it with my hand up in front of my shoulder. A scarf seems like the best option if you would be out in it for a while. Silk would be perfect!

Brat
February 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Sometimes I'll bring it around in front and tuck into the front of my shirt. Or I'll put it up in a bun with my sticks or pull my hoodie up over my head or hold it with my hand if I have to. Or using a scrunchie, pull it into a ponytail once and pull half through the second time, so it's a half ponytail. Think that's what it's called...

Raponsje
February 20th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I always have a stick or snap/alligator clip (don't know which is the correct name) in my bag. Put it in a bun on the road and take it down inside. I sometimes try a scarf or a headband but always come to the conclusion that I am not a headband kind of woman. Somehow it doesn't suit me.

Elainehali
February 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Ugh wind is the worst!! I bun my hair if I have to go out in the wind.

I also carry a hair brush to "fix" it when I get inside.

jera
February 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
I still put it in a pony but of course it blows over my shoulder and whips around my face. :o

hmmm
February 21st, 2010, 02:15 AM
Scarves. I use them when I have to travel in auto rickshaws (http://audreyandthane.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/autorickshaw.jpg). As long as they're big enough to cover all my hair I'm good. If they aren't, I put it up with a claw clip and then put the scarf on my head. I take it off when I get off from the auto :D.

Carolyn
February 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I live in a very windy place so I've learned I have to pick the times I wear my hair down. I don't spend much time outside but even a short walk from car to inside can cause so many tangles. If I plan to wear my hair down later on in the day, I'll start out with a Lazy Wrap Bun. For some reason that bun doesn't leave strange kinks and twists in my hair. A gentle brushing after a LWB will leave my hair nice and smooth. I will also gather my hair over one shoulder and hang on to it for a quick run from car to inside. If I'm going to be outside for more than those few minutes I go with a bun or braid. It's something I've had to accept I have to do for the sake of my hair.

windinherhair
February 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
I always carry something with me in case I get caught in the wind (an elastic band or hair stick). That is enough for me, but if you are still concerned about the little hairs on top, I like the idea about the headband or a buff. Or any kind of hat over your hair like a calorimetry depending on the weather.

rags
February 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
What about a hair glove for the ponytail and then using some AVG to smooth the little baby hairs on top? Hair gloves are great to both weigh it down and protect it.

adiapalic
February 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Best thing I can think of is a bun (I've noticed many guys here pulling that off with utmost coolness)... coupled with a buff or headband as Lamb suggested earlier?

If you're not averse to a bandana, I'm sure that would provide flyaways on your head with maximum protection from being windblasted, and a bun of some sort would keep the rest of the length intact, untangled, and unfrizzed.

KatKeRo
February 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
If I'm going out on a windy day I always have my hair in a braid or a bun.

Capybara
February 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
When it's windy or cold outside, I like to wrap a pashmina scarf around my head. This look also works well with sunglasses and a convertible ;) It's actually very pretty, as you can use a scarf that coordinates with your outfit, and wrap it around your neck/shoulders when you go inside (:

VenusHalley
February 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
We have very windy subway here in Prague. I am getting used to looking like I just got out of a windtunnel. I wear my hair up, but I have some face framing layers... and the wind makes them look crazy. There is no way of controlling my bangs and all those layers... I always wonder, when I meet a woman on the street with her perfect hair if she takes taxis everywhere...

Sometimes I just wear scarf and tuck all my hair under it.

Hiriel
February 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM
A bandana instead of a headband, maybe?

ravensinger13
February 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have to say I use a braid about 80% of the time, and a bun 13%. It's very rare that I leave my hair down, and if going out in the wind, I do a quick braid and secure with one of the emergency elastics I always carry.

guccixx
February 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
I wear my hair down all the time and here in DC the winds are treacherous!!! I usually just tuck it into my coat on one side and I'm good. I have straight hair so it doesn't pose a problem, but it may for any curlyheaded ones out there.

david
February 22nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Since I live in a country where the weather changes instantly I always have to be prepared for the wind to start. I always carry some hairties, aliceband/hairband and brush with me just incase the wind starts up. There's nothing worse than getting caught in the wind unprepared and then ending up with a mass of tangles. If its a really windy day before I leave the house I will plait/braid my hair to keep it from blowing everywhere.

Vijikanth
February 22nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
If u r very keen on having the hair brush your shoulders or back, then do a half tail and wear a bandana or a base ball cap in the reverse direction. I do that when I travel. Or a ponytail and bandanna. If your hair gets frizzy, I suggest a bun or a braid. That keeps the hair shiny and less dry. Gud luck