PDA

View Full Version : Neck hair always mattes & tangles. Should I shave it?

soopahgrover
February 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I am getting so tired of spending 30 minutes or more a day detangling my waist length hair. The snarliest hairs of all are on the underside, especially what grows out of my neck. I've known this for awhile, so I've been trying to concentrate my conditioner and oil products there. It hasn't helped.

Should I just shave this hair? Or is the underside hair always the worst, meaning if I did shave it, the hair that would now be the underside would just get snarly due to sweat and friction? I tend to think my neck hair is just naturally coarser and more wiry, and the mattes aren't caused by sweat or friction.

What say you?

*Aoife*
February 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Is your hair up or down? Do your clothes rub off the underside? These could cause your hair to tangle.

I find the hairs on the nape of my neck are always the tangliest.

Luckysock
February 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I knew a girl who had gorgeous waist length thick curly hair, and she completely shaved the bottom 5-6 inches - her hair was so thick i never would have known.

But that might not really be what you had in mind....

Xandergrammy
February 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't shave it if I were you.

sweet*things
February 20th, 2010, 05:53 PM
You wouldn't be able to wear updo's anymore, at least not without exposing the shaved area.

My daughter has problems with this kind of tangling in the winter and it's from the hair rubbing against the collar on her coat. It helps if she keeps her hair tucked in a knit beret, but she doesn't like listening to her mother about that, lol.

Carolyn
February 20th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't shave it either. Do you find the look of a shaved hairline attractive? I don't. It's going to show if you wear any kind of an updo. Would you be OK with that? How much upkeep are you willing to do to keep it shaved?

Do you wear necklaces? When I wear them my nape hairs always get tangled in them. Also the underside of my hair always tangles more if I wear a wool sweater.

shadowclaw
February 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think shaving is the answer. My neck hairs never grow very long, and they are coarse and crazy. Sometimes they get a nice curl going on, and it looks great with my updo, but usually it just looks like a mess. That bottom layer of hair that rests on my back is also a bit coarser than the rest and is super prone to tangles, whether it is down or in a pony tail.

I think any hair that rests on your back is going to be likely to get damaged and tangle, since it rubs against your back. I imagine that layer of hair might feel coarse because the cuticle might be damaged, which explains why it tangles easily. Or it's just tangle-prone hair.

I find that I don't have as much of a problem when I use silicones. For me, oiling that area hasn't helped and just ends up making my hair feel greasy, but silicones do seem to do the trick. I don't know if you're a cone user, but you could always try applying a coney conditioner to the bottom layer. It probably wouldn't be too difficult - just section your hair before washing and apply the coney conditioner to that section only and rinse before letting the rest of your hair fall back into place.

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, when I was younger (roughly 3 years ago), the hair around my ears and at the nape of my neck was cut off for some reason. I don't remember why or when, but I'd assume my mother did it for some reason, since she used to trim my hair and helped me style it.

It still hasn't grown back, because I had to keep re-cutting it whenever I wanted to put my hair up, otherwise I ended up with ridiculous looking wings and a ball of fluff on my neck. I definitely wouldn't suggest cutting it, ever, for this reason.

I started growing it back pretty recently and it looks horrible whenever I put my hair up. Really, really horrible. My ponytail has a huge ball of fluff under it when it's not straightened. When it is straightened, it just looks ridiculous because the hair isn't really long enough to be held securely by my hairband, but it's long enough that it shows. The hair around my ears turn into completely ridiculous looking wings. When straightened, I have to try to keep it tucked behind my ears, because it's still not long enough to reach the hairband.

In summary, I don't suggest cutting it for any reason what so ever.

zift
February 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't shave it if I were you.

Well I did shave the bottom third of my hair for a while and I enjoyed t when I was doing. But when I decided to grow them back they become a pain in the a.. and now they reached around mid-back or something and tangling more than before:?
I second Xandergrammy I wouldn't shave if I were you.

soopahgrover
February 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hmmm. Thanks, everybody. I do put it up in a French twist often, mainly to prevent the underside from tangling. I guess I haven't seen anyone with long hair and a shaved neckline, so I can't say if I'd like the look. I have seen women with thick hair shave the lower half of their hair, and it's so thick you can't tell. My hair is not thick, so I'm not considering that.

I guess I'll try some silicone product for just the underside. Maybe Frizz-Ease.

loralie
February 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
For reference, this is an undercut:

http://www.altnation.com/forums/attachments/lifestyle-chat/41843d1109520725-hair-make-up-undercuts-le-undercut.jpg
(google cred)

Depending on your style I honestly think it can look striking on some women... the biggest thing to consider is the growing out phase, for sure. I don't think I could handle the commitment of short short hair but I bet it would feel SO GOOD in the summertime!!!

DakarNick
February 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
How high up were you thinking for shaving it?

ArienEllariel
February 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't recommend shaving it either. :/

Peter
February 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, when I was younger (roughly 3 years ago), the hair around my ears and at the nape of my neck was cut off for some reason. I don't remember why or when, but I'd assume my mother did it for some reason, since she used to trim my hair and helped me style it.

It still hasn't grown back, because I had to keep re-cutting it whenever I wanted to put my hair up, otherwise I ended up with ridiculous looking wings and a ball of fluff on my neck. I definitely wouldn't suggest cutting it, ever, for this reason.

I started growing it back pretty recently and it looks horrible whenever I put my hair up. Really, really horrible. My ponytail has a huge ball of fluff under it when it's not straightened. When it is straightened, it just looks ridiculous because the hair isn't really long enough to be held securely by my hairband, but it's long enough that it shows. The hair around my ears turn into completely ridiculous looking wings. When straightened, I have to try to keep it tucked behind my ears, because it's still not long enough to reach the hairband.

I'm in the same situation. Got the neck hair shaved and very soon regretted it. This was sometime around October 2009, so that hair is ~2-3 inches long now. It looks terrible whenever I put my hair in a ponytail or a braid.

For this reason, I don't think you should cut it short or shave it.

Brat
February 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Mine does that too. I would not shave it, I had done that a long time ago and it looks like crap when you decide to grow it out. And you will decide to grow it out. I just keep absently detangling it during the day with my fingers, nothing else really will help, unless you want to keep it in updos all the time. Which I don't... I like mine loose.

Demetrue
February 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
when I was wearing extensions, I used to put the tangly nape hairs in a small braid and pin it up under my long hair with a bobby pin. What about just doing a long skinny braid under your hair and keeping it secure with a tiny clear elastic.

Wavelength
February 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
Can you train it to curl? This is what I do with my nape hairs, and it seems to keep them from getting too tangled. Plus it looks fairly neat and groomed.

I put my hair up in whatever updo I want that day, and then I dip my fingers in water and curl the hair around my fingers. I go clockwise with half my nape hairs on one side and counterclockwise on the other, so that it stays symmetrical.

That leaves me with two long curls of hair on either side of my neck. When it dries, it becomes a little looser but still retains the curl, and it doesn't tangle.

This is how it looks when it's still wet:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/wavelength/TimberstoneinHair.jpg

And this is how it looks after it dries:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/wavelength/infinity.jpg

Obviously not the same updo but you get the idea. :)

SHELIAANN1969
February 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
Maybe you can try some mineral oil, pomade or vaseline? It is thick and should stay in the hair, keeping it from tangling/snarling.

I normally don't use mineral oils, but if an area is problematic, I will use some of the yummy smelling pomade or vaseline to tame it down.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM
I don't recommend shaving. It will look ugly in updos.

I have the same problem, but the problem isn't tangles. Neck hairs are short and way too kinky to match the rest of my hair. I'm considering to wax/epilate them, but i don't really know HOW ^^;

FrannyG
February 21st, 2010, 04:27 AM
I have baby hairs at my nape too, and yes, they used to tangle sometimes. I just started putting a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner on them and it help immensely. I actually love my little flyaways--they're very distinctive and they stick out to the left somewhat eccentrically. :)

I really wouldn't recommend shaving. It requires constant maintenance if you ever wear your hair up, and it then exposes the next layer of hair to friction against clothing when you wear it down.

Also, neck stubble doesn't feel particularly nice.

longinthehair
February 21st, 2010, 06:04 AM
No - do not shave it. Try little bit of shea butter on those pieces, wrap around fingers like a curl. Keep those pieces more moisturized, I think they would tangle less. They are natural, part of your hair growth..always encourage them to grow. And soon little by little, they'll probably grow into the rest of your hair.

lapushka
February 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
If you don't already, try using lots of cones there or get a leave-in or leave-in serum with cones and use it there. It makes it more slippery and might be better than oil for that area.

enfys
February 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Have you tried clipping the nape bits up? The previously suggested skinny plaits and curls would have the same kind of effect.

Shaving only works if you do it to an extreme (like the linked undercut image) or if you have short hair like a pixie and are tidying up the edges. Other than that you risk odd shapes, difficult grow out and peculiar updos.

It it's any consolation, add me to the pile that have tangles there too.

Have you tried a Tangle Teezer brush? That cuts down morning detangling no end for me.

Kristin
February 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
I actually posted about this same issue a couple weeks ago. Since then, I have tried a few things. I did do a small braid at the nape of the neck, which worked well but did annoy me when I ran my fingers through my hair. I also returned to using my favorite coney leave-in, Neutrogena Triple Moisture, and it has helped somewhat. Unless you are willing to wear your hair up or braid the nape, you will most likely just have to detangle throughout the day.

If it's any consolation, I feel your pain.:justy:

Gumball
February 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm just the opposite, as the brunt of any tangle comes from my canopy (top) layer of hair. The layer underneath is much friendlier. With my top layer I just take time, breathe deep, and get patient when I can tell it's going to be "one of those times."

minkstole
February 21st, 2010, 11:41 PM
I have the same problem. At the same time my nape hairs are the most fragile (along with the ones around the ears). In my case, I think that itīs a mix of poor quality hair and extreme tossing and turning during sleep. I keep telling myself that investing in a satin/silk pillowcase would help things, but I keep putting it off :(

Though itīs not a solution per se, I have found that prewashing-oiling, extra conditoning, and gentle trimming keeps matting a bit under control.

Miuku
February 22nd, 2010, 12:16 AM
I have neck hairs that grow to about 10 centimeters and tangle. I keep them cut short, and the layer above them does not tangle.

I tried keeping them long, and I tried shaving, and neither worked for me. Shaving made my neck really itchy.

BTW - I don't think any kind of neck hair looks bad in updos. I've seen it all: shaved, short, long and growing out, and it all looked ok to me.

Arriens
February 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Shaving only works if you do it to an extreme (like the linked undercut image) Depends on your definition of extreme. :p
On this site (http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/undercut) There are more extreme examples.
example 1 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3472909480_e8c04ce045_m.jpg)
example 2 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/3472090889_a14797021e_m.jpg)
example 3 (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/3944708352_f7169254e9_m.jpg)
example 4 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/3472076633_bf4bd40f3a_m.jpg)
example 5 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/3007939024_0aeec813ed_m.jpg)
example 6 (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3454428257_deff31d265_m.jpg)
example 7 (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/393010119_4add61251a_m.jpg)
But I don't think soopahgrover meant this kind of undercuts. :p
I personally am also thinking about cutting the lowest 3cm due to its tangles and that they only get around 5cm long.

SpinDance
February 22nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I must admit it never occurred tome to shave off those tangly bits. Lots of good suggestions, though.

When I was young that area used to matt, but that was before I learned about conditioner and to use my fingers and wide tooth combs only, no brushes. Brushes just went over the canopy, leaving everything underneath.

I rarely wear my hair loose except around the house when it is drying, and when I do I'm careful to finger comb that area from underneath. I've learned that it is easier to keep up with the tangles that will form than to let them stay till later then try to remove them. It is usually just one or two hairs that need S&D'd so taking care of them immediately prevents much more angst later. I also have learned to always use some sort of leave-in. Lately it's been oils, but before it was coney serums. My hair loves cones, so long as I switch things about regularly and not use the same product more than a time or so in a row. Doing these things my hair now usually only snarls if there is a damaged hair.

Of course it is your hair and you'll do what is right for you!

baobhan sith
February 22nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
Heh, I had the same thing and just shaved off my neck hair (But I have a dodgy hairline, so it actually looks way better shaved -obviously as long as no stubble - because it's smooth). It's not too much upkeep because my hair doesn't grow that fast, and they're quite fine and not obvious hairs anyway. It works fine for me. The only thing I will say is, SHAVE don't have it buzzed off with clippers! That was so prickly and strange feeling, plus you could still see the hair.

katha
February 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I had this problem a lot back when I still used hairbands with metal on them. Changing that helped. What helped even more was to NOT do any kind of hairstyle that's sitting low, close to my neck. A low ponytail will result in a lot of chaos, and I wouldn't be able to get it out without damage. Braids are working better, but I usually start braiding a bit higher, so there are no loose pieces there.
In winter, of course scarfs (spelling?) and turtle-necks play there part, too.
These things helped me a lot, by now most of the damage is gone and I don't have many of those tiny broken hairs left there. Or anywhere else, for that matter. :)
Oh and for the record, I started oiling much later, and I still only rarely use conditioner. It would've been helpful I guess, but it's not mandatory.

ravenreed
February 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
When my nape hairs are being more uncooperative than usual I will pin them in place with those snappy clips. I have some that match my hair. Like these but in burgundy:

http://www.goody.com/Products/Collections/StayPut/Womens/Womens.aspx

I also got bored one day and used some aloe gel and finger curled the little wretches. It actually looked cute when I put my hair up.

Anje
February 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't shave the underside (not a fan of the undercut), but I have been known to cut those two little chunks of tangly curly nape hair rather short. It doesn't tangle much when it's only an inch or two long, and it isn't as obvious that it's been modified compared to shaving it. Maybe next time it grows out I'll try to finger-curl the suckers, but I'm not inclined to put up with them knotting when the rest of my hair behaves.

justme
February 26th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I had an undercut (to the top of my ears where the natural hairline is) with midback hair and loved it. It was awesomely cool in the summer and when I went to the hot springs I could relax with my hair up not worrying about the back of my hair getting wet and never drying. I loved the look and the feel of it and I'd love to do it again. My mom even got to like it and how neat and clean my hair looked when I wore it in updos.

But (you knew there was a but), the upkeep sucks and I'm less interested in dealing with people who judge based on appearance. I'm also all about being lazy and not dealing with frequent cuts/trims/etc. Another thing is what other people have said: when you grow it out it's a royal pain. I cut to a very short pixie instead of dealing with that.

I have shaved just the tiniest bit of the hairline - the hairs that only grow an inch or three anyway and only maybe a half a centimeter into the hairline at most. Darn you, now you've made me want to do that again! ;) Growing that out is no problem and not even noticeable if I recall correctly. If you are just talking about those neck hairs, I know some people even wax them off.

Roseate
February 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm another who had the undercut with long hair and loved it, but as everyone says: upkeep is constant, and growing it out is the world's biggest PITA. I also cut my hair short (shaved it all, actually) when the time came to lose the undercut.

Messyhair
February 27th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I only get tangles when I use a non-satin pillowcase or when I sleep with my hair braided. I do use cone products, if that makes a difference with slippage...? I had most of the back of my head shaved throughout high school and it didn't prevent tangles then - they just moved up a layer. :p

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I am getting so tired of spending 30 minutes or more a day detangling my waist length hair. The snarliest hairs of all are on the underside, especially what grows out of my neck. I've known this for awhile, so I've been trying to concentrate my conditioner and oil products there. It hasn't helped.

Should I just shave this hair? Or is the underside hair always the worst, meaning if I did shave it, the hair that would now be the underside would just get snarly due to sweat and friction? I tend to think my neck hair is just naturally coarser and more wiry, and the mattes aren't caused by sweat or friction.

What say you?

If you are wearing your hair down (loose) then it could be from constant friction. If you wear your hair up, you could pin the underneath so it does not snag on things during the day.

I would not suggest shaving unless you like the look. I knew someone who did that because her hair was very thick and she look weird when she put her hair up. Also, if you ever decided to grow it back out you may have more problems than you know what to do with at that point.