PDA

View Full Version : Pre and Post Straightening

09robiha
February 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I fancy a change from my curls, maybe its too much time spent at work looking at head after head of sleek, straight hair thats got me craving my own head of super straight strands but the damage from blowdry.straighteneing is putting me off. What can i do before and after a straightning session to keep my hair is good condition. I was thinnking an SMT the night before and then a protein treatment and SMT or DT when i was afterwards. :confused:...Also using a silicone heat protectant would help???

rach
February 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM
lots of spay in catnip then when damp -
http://www.me.com/ro/purplewisteria/Galleries/100056/Picture%201/web.jpg?ver=126554975100026
results come out great but does take practice to get right.

Capybara
February 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Funny how I'd always wanted curly hair as a child :p I guess we're always interested in what is different.

I'd recommend making absolutely sure that your hair is completely dry before attempting to straighten it, using a leave-in heat protectant spray, and not touching the hair right after it is straightened. If you touch hair when it is still warm, it doesn't hold the straightness (is that a word? haha) for as long. Make sure it has cooled completely before you comb it out/style it. Also, if your straightener has a low heat setting, it'd be best to use that. Deep treatments/SMT's couldn't hurt either (:

When I was little, my sisters and I used to straighten our hair out with an iron, like a clothing iron. I don't remember any damage from it, but I'm sure that anything you do will be better for your hair than that :D

Wicked Princess
February 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM
If you're only going to straighten your hair once, your hair is unlikely to get too damaged.

Try to use the lowest heat setting on your flat iron that still allows you to get your hair straight, and try to pass the iron over your hair only once. If you absolutely must pass it over your hair a second or third time, try to wait until that section has "cooled" some from the previous pass. :)

My hair seems to like SMTs right after a straightening. But then...it seems to always like those!

zsuper
February 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I straighten my hair regularly and I still get a lot of compliments on how nice it is, so I don't think it's too damaged if you use protection and don't overheat it.

I'd definitely use some protection, though. I use a generous application of Moroccan Oil before straightening and I find that it's a huge help. It also seems to keep my hair straight for a long time. On average, one hour-long straightening session will last roughly two days without needing a touch up. I've heard similar from others who use the product, as well.

Xandergrammy
February 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
On average, one hour-long straightening session will last roughly two days without needing a touch up. I've heard similar from others who use the product, as well.

It takes an hour to straighten your hair? :bigeyes: I've always wanted my hair to be curlier. The grass is always greener, as they say. :gabigrin:

Shermie Girl
February 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
When I want straight hair, I cone it up well, blow it out gently on lower heat settings (never warmer than would be comfortable on my face) using a wide tooth comb and my fingers to detangle as I dry. I finish with my paddle brush to polish and further smooth. That usually gets it straight enough to make me happy. But if I want it even smoother, I set it on some jumbo Caruso rollers for a few minutes. That really smooths it out, leaving it with a gentle curve and lots of bounce and shine. :D

Curlsgirl
February 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I like that smooth straight feeling too from time to time. I usually get a girl that blow dries my hair really straight at the salon do it without having to use a flat iron. To me a flat iron causes much more damage than a blow dryer. If I do it myself, I blow it dry as straight as I can after using a good coney conditioner and leave-in. Then I go over the strands very lightly and quickly with my CHI iron. I think it helps to use a very good iron if you do flat iron. However, you WILL see some damage. There is absolutely no way around it. I can get a blowout from the salon to last for over a week, usually about 10 days believe it or not. BUT I have a lot more broken/split ends than I used too when I didn't do this and just wore it curly all the time. I am probably not growing much longer if any than waist though so it's a trade-off. Also it does depend on your hair. My hair is not fine and pretty resiliant. Finer hair or weaker hair could be MUCH more prone to damage.

Aero
February 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Don't fall for the straight hair propaganda! Its just used in marketing to sell you products!

cardamom
February 26th, 2010, 01:52 AM
i got my hair straightened from a reputed salon,but now its kind of wavy.but it is easy to manage and looks good.i am only worried about the aftercare.:confused: