PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep jewelry from tangling in your hair?

Beets
February 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I have a smashing collection of necklaces, most of which catch the hairs at the very back of my neck. Some, such as those with toggle clasps, don't do it as bad, but almost every piece of jewelry I wear, at least earrings and necklaces, catch my hair to some degree.

So what do you do? Only wear the non-catching stuff? Wear the catching stuff on special occasions only, or when you really, really, really want to wear jewelry? Not worry about it and wear what you want to wear and deal with the breaking?

Or am I the only person who has this dilemma? :confused:

Fairlight63
February 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
That is a good question I have been wondering the same thing.
The main problem that I have though is when I am doing up do's my wedding ring will catch in the hair & ruin the do. For instance doing a Pretzel twist reaching around & pulling the hair through the loop of hair my ring will get caught on the hair. The only thing that I found that works is to take off the ring. I don't like doing that but don't know what else to do.

Juneii
February 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I just wear non catching ones and when I search for earrings or other jewelry I have to put that into consideration before buying it.

there's not much I can do about my necklace though, whatever I do my hair will catch on it :( so that's just something I will live with..

Sammich
February 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I just wear non catching ones and when I search for earrings or other jewelry I have to put that into consideration before buying it.

there's not much I can do about my necklace though, whatever I do my hair will catch on it :( so that's just something I will live with..

Yeah, I agree. I mean there's not much you can do that'd look flattering with a dress or whatever look you want with the necklace you want... unless you want to look utterly rediculous and tape your hair down or something. :p

ArienEllariel
February 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have an awesome pair of earrings shaped like geckos that I like to wear, but I've found I have to wear them when my hair is up to avoid snagging my hair in them. I'm not sure about necklaces, I don't wear them all that often.

Bonny
February 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for the OP.

For Fairlight63:

The main problem that I have though is when I am doing up do's my wedding ring will catch in the hair & ruin the do. For instance doing a Pretzel twist reaching around & pulling the hair through the loop of hair my ring will get caught on the hair. The only thing that I found that works is to take off the ring. I don't like doing that but don't know what else to do.

I would suggest going to a jeweler and having them check the settings on your ring and have them replace the settings if necessary. Whenever my ring starts to catch on fabric or hair, I know it's past time for me to bring it in for maintenance. :flower:

little_cherry
February 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for the OP.

For Fairlight63:

I would suggest going to a jeweler and having them check the settings on your ring and have them replace the settings if necessary. Whenever my ring starts to catch on fabric or hair, I know it's past time for me to bring it in for maintenance. :flower:
Thank you for the suggestion. I thought it was just a normal "ring thing" to do! :)

Kristin
February 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have the same problem. Don't kow if this would work, as I've never tried it, but my hair tangles along the nape of the neck when I wear it down. Some LHCers suggested that I braid the hair just along the back of the neck. Perhaps that would keep it from wrapping around your necklace? You could even use it as an accent braid in buns.

I just don't wear necklaces anymore.:(

ericthegreat
February 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Always wear your hair in a neat, tight updo if you decide to wear any earrings or necklaces or other kind of jewelry. Leaving any part of it down is simply asking for tangles and for it to get caught and damaged by all those metal links. If you have those annoying neck hairs, wet that part of your hair down or slick it with coconut oil and as tightly as you can pin them up with some bobby pins so they stay off your neck.

Elspeth30
February 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
This is a good question. In general, I wear updo's to avoid the issues, but I love the look of long earrings with long hair worn down. I save that look for special occasions and just go with it.

Rhiannon7
February 20th, 2010, 10:57 PM
My nape hair always tangles around my gold necklace and i end up having to disentangle the hair, sometimes i've unconsciously tore the hair off the necklace. have not found a way to prevent this from happening.

Elainehali
February 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
You're not alone. I carry a brush and periodically brush it out so the tangles don't have a chance to get really bad.

Or wear it up!:D

Ash
February 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I take everything off chains and put them on the black strings instead. Of course this would not work with fancier jewelry though. A short length of thin clear plastic tubing may work - the chain could be run through the tubing and fixed in place somehow so it stayed on the back of the neck and was not visible.

Carolyn
February 21st, 2010, 07:11 AM
My finer link chains are really hard on my nape hairs. I've stopped wearing them except for special occasions. I used to wear a herringbone chain and a box chain with a pendant all the time and had a lot, and I mean A LOT of broken off nape hair. So now I pick and choose then I wear them. I don't have a problem with earring very often. Most of the time I wear either 2 pairs of studs and 1 pair of hoops or 2 pairs of hoops and one pair of studs. My chandelier type earrings will catch in my hair if I wear it down but that doesn't happen too often. Now and then a ring will snag but it's just one hair and I don't worry too much about it.

Zéphine
February 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
I have a necklace with a magnetic clasp. I don't think it catches my hair once it's in (but I wear updos most of the time). Of course, I'm sometimes a bit paranoid that it'll fall off and get lost, but so far, so good.
Just a thought: Maybe there's some way to replace the clasp, or else something you could get to put over it. When I had braces a few years ago, there was some plastic or rubber tubing thing you could get with a slit along one edge, so you could fit it over the brace and it wouldn't scratch up your mouth. I didn't care for it...but maybe some sort of slitted tubing could work to cover the clasp on a necklace.

chopandchange
February 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
My suggestion is to wear your neck jewellery on a nice piece of ribbon (co-ordinating with your outfit) instead of on a chain.

Loviatar
February 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have this problem and have always been told, even after stating "I do not like the plastic strings, or black thong leather, or ribbon", to use leather strips or plastic strings or ribbon. Le sigh. Plastic strings break easily (the stone pendant I wear has been on 2 plastic strings, both of which have broken, luckily the stone did not break), ribbon comes untied no matter what I do to it, or it looks ratty. And I'm not keen on the look of a black leather strip.

I wear a necklace every day as my partner gave it to me and I dont like to be without it. Currently I bring the clasp around to the front instead. I dont like the look as much that way, but I have a TON of broken neck hairs because of my necklaces. I'm going to buy a different chain and see if that works. My current one is a snake chain. I wonder if a curb or byzantine would work better.

Also, my nape hairs do not stay put, with either gel, water, or coconut oil. They always wisp free, so it's no use me being told to style them so they stay up and out of the way.

AlleyKitten
February 22nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
I have the same problem with my engagement ring, which I'm wearing on a necklace. Yet another reason to look forward to the wedding -- I'll be able to switch it to my hand and stop the damage to my hair!

I'm not sure if this would work for most things, but I have occasionally found clear nail polish to be really handy, like on hair clips that would snag one or two hairs in them every time. It sort of forms a hard seal and fills in crevices, reducing snagging. Maybe for some kinds of earrings.

TheBlondeApple
February 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
For ear-jewelry, I don't wear stud/post earrings, I wear this (http://creolen.net/vinani-klapp-creolen-classic-small-silber-925-ohrringe-ccs.html) type (http://creolen.net/vinani-klapp-creolen-classic-small-silber-925-ohrringe-ccs.html). Mine are plain sterling silver mattè, though.
These (http://www.ohne-risiko.at/eBay_piercing/images/segment_ring_1_2.jpg) don't catch, either, but they are a PITA to remove/put in.
Goddess Spirals (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=103&highlight=goddess) are more fancy and don't pose a problem with an updo (and hair can easily be removed when loose).

I have problems with necklaces and can't offer a solution. I don't wear them often for this reason. But the hair that doesn't stay in an updo likes to wrap around them.

Anja

Mugili
February 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
I have the problem with every kind of necklace, even with simple leather bands.
And even if I wear updos, because I got a lot of hair in the neck, which refuses to grow longer and it tangles with everything.

So if there are any option for detangling necklaces...please tell!

Anlbe
February 22nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
I just don't wear the things that tangle. But I find it odd the things that snag and the things that don't. Every single chain I've ever worn has tangled in my nape hair, even when up, except for the chain that my baptismal cross is on. For some strange reason that has never snagged as much as one hair even though I sleep in it :shrug:
Otherwise it's silk ribbons for me. Pearls also don't seem to snag although the clasps can. Luckily two of my sets of pearls have a clasp that can be worn at the front so I just wear those.

myrrhmaiden
February 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
My necklaces can get caught easily, but I do have a sort of earring solution. Captive Bead Rings are what I wear each and every day. They do not have any edges or crevices for hair to snag. They are a little limiting in look, but if you like hoops, they are for you! You can order them in any diameter from teeny to big honking hoops and you can change the look by changing the beads. I have some large diameter 8 gauge hoops that I wear every day with aquamarine beads. I rarely/never change the beads because I have aquamarines which are already the very best in my eyes.