PDA

View Full Version : Hair Down Challenge

SlightlySoprano
February 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I was wondering if anybody is interested in trying a wear your hair down for a week/month/year/however long challenge! To me personally, down includes anything that has the hair physically touching your neck/back (braids count, half up half downs, its not about being loose, its just about not being up on your head!). Of course this is truly a challenge of keeping your hair healthy and as tangle free as you can (within reason of course!). I would love to do this with the support of other people, I enjoy wearing my hair down, I can't be the only (wannabe?) long hair who does!:D

My goal is going to start small. I'm going to try one week with my hair down. Anybody want to join me?

Sammich
February 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I am with this! Braids really help to stop tangles for me, and I really cannot do buns properly with my layering. So... I'm so in. :cheese: I've been trying to have my hair up for weekss... and it just isn't going to work out, I'm hairstyling intolerant! :p I also love having my hair down all the time so I don't really like feeling naked. (My face is hugee with my hair up all the time, not counting braids.)

I don't have a set time... cough... so I'll be doing for a year or so because I need the layering out to do proper buns.

Loreley
February 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
If the braid counts I'll join! I've been wearing my up in a bun with a hair stick for ages. Although, last week I let my hair down for one day and I came to the conclusion I can't do this. The whole thing was always in my face and I sat on it. But because of wearing the same bun on the same place every day my scalp started hurting. I'll give it a rest and wear my hair in a braid at least twice a week on weekdays. :puppy: (But I still love my hairsticks.:p)

Gumball
February 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I'd join, but down requires tons of untangling afterward, and that includes braids since when the braid is left down on my back it becomes Chia-Braid, thus still fluffy and ornery. :) Cheers to all that participate!

SlightlySoprano
February 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I love the feeling of my hair down, and I had some tension alopecia from wearing my hair up so much! I'm glad I finally have some support so I can do this! MOTIVATION! haha

JenniferNoel
February 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
*Joins*

I think I can go for a month if braids count. :)

ArienEllariel
February 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'd join, but down requires tons of untangling afterward, and that includes braids since when the braid is left down on my back it becomes Chia-Braid, thus still fluffy and ornery. :) Cheers to all that participate!

:spitting:So I'm not the only one who's braid becomes somewhat Chia-like after being worn for a while? Good.

*Aoife*
February 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure if I count doing it. I just wear me hair in braids day and night. Updo's annoy my scalp sometimes and I always end up adjusting them a couple of times a day.

That happens to me every night!

Katurday
February 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
What about ponytails? I'm the ponytail master!

faegood
February 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'd like to be in, please. This is the longest my hair has been since I was 4, and I NEVER EVER wear it down. I've got a ton of hair and it all goes in my face when I do, so I'm always double bunning or ponytails or gibson tucking it.
Seems like if I'm gonna grow it out, then I should sometimes actually LOOK like it's growing. I'm gonna try to wear it down twice a week, which may not meet the challenge exactly but feels like a huge jump for me.
If only it would stay behind my ears, it would make a huge difference for me.

walterSCAN
February 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
:spitting:So I'm not the only one who's braid becomes somewhat Chia-like after being worn for a while? Good.

I'm another one with a Chia-braid-- but usually it only gets bad if I'm doing a single braid down my back.

I think I'm in by default for most of the rest of the cold this year... My head gets too cold if I've got my hair up and I've found that my calorimetry and the scarves I wrap around my head kinda give me headaches. It's been in a braid of some sort or another pretty much every day for the last month already...

SlightlySoprano
February 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'll be wearing my hair loose today, it's wash day :)

Arriens
February 22nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
I've got a ton of hair and it all goes in my face when I do, so I'm always double bunning or ponytails or gibson tucking it.
I usually braid the upper part of my hair and leave the rest loose. No hair in your face and you neck/back has the feeling of loose hair.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/320141640_577004afa2.jpg?v=0http://images.suite101.com/621039_com_legolasbra.jpg
(Examples from google)

[edit] Isn't the guys hair a copy of that elf from lord of the rings?

ilovelonghair
February 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Yes, that is Legolas' hair style

back to the topic, I already have work my hair loose for ages, I don't even know for how long... but it is still looking good, better than before and less kinks in hair is I don't put it up.

SlightlySoprano
February 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Got it in a half up half down today, just to keep it out of my face while i'm taking notes! This is going well so far!

Capybara
February 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
I guess I've already been doing this for a while :P

I rotate between different braids - french, dutch, english, herringbone, crown ... And many variations of the above XD

Today, it's a french braid. And ditto the Chia-Pet hair! I'm known to redo my braids during the day because I get tired of all the little hairs tickling my neck and arms :o

Esperanza
February 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Would part of the day count? I have therapy in the pool 3-5 times a week, and have to wear my hair up for that, but I like to have it down otherwise.

tralalalara
February 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
too many layers for good updos here! I also need to wait for a lot of my broken hairs to catch up to the layers I already have, so i probably shouldn't be wearing my hair down if I want it to thicken up.

But if I even braid it, all the sebum I produce makes me itchy so I feel like I need to wash too soon!

I'll call this my "no bun challenge", since I do let myself wear braids on day 2 [and day 3 if it happens]

Kelli Kat
February 22nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
I've kind of missed the boat on this one. For years I've worn my hair down, either loose or clipped at the neck with a barrett. I just started wearing it up for the last 3 weeks in order to help with growth.

SlightlySoprano
February 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Would part of the day count? I have therapy in the pool 3-5 times a week, and have to wear my hair up for that, but I like to have it down otherwise.

I would say that definitely counts. Wearing your hair down, when reasonable :D

SlightlySoprano
February 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
What do you guys do when its particularly windy?

zen_oven
February 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
I can easily do this, I never put my hair up! Yay!

jasper
February 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
I always flit past that hair up challenge and think Ha! I've got that thing beaten- my hair is up every day. I saw this challenge and it make me tremble! I can get through a few hours with my hair down and then I will find it in my way, or I'll trap it behind me against the chair or couch, and I'm reaching for a hair stick or clip.
:run:

SlightlySoprano
February 28th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Wearing hair down while having a sinus infection = not fun. Yay for braids!!! *sneeze* urgh

Thinthondiel
February 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Wearing hair down while having a sinus infection = not fun. Yay for braids!!! *sneeze* urgh

Lol! I keep my hair loose almost all the time, so I've learnt to brush the hair on my right side over my shoulder before I sneeze, and then sneeze into my elbow on that side.

Fethenwen
February 28th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I usually braid the upper part of my hair and leave the rest loose. No hair in your face and you neck/back has the feeling of loose hair.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/320141640_577004afa2.jpg?v=0http://images.suite101.com/621039_com_legolasbra.jpg
(Examples from google)

[edit] Isn't the guys hair a copy of that elf from lord of the rings?

Loving this Legolas style! Especially on guys :D
-----

Ok, I'm in. Just for one week to start with. My boyfriend wants me to have it down all the time :p Guess I should start having it down more often, today is my first day. Liking it so far, as long as my hair is clean and shiny it's nice.

Amraann
February 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I keep my hair down almost always with the exception of cooking or cleaning.
Then it is just put in a simple pony tail.

merryhair
February 28th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Count me in! I love braids. I'll take one week challenge first. Sounds like fun.:D Also, it's still a bit chilly around here. I usually wear my hair up in summer..so, I guess it's the right time to join.

SlightlySoprano
March 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Braids are awesome, but i'm so uncoordinated! hahah! I just got the hang of a plain old boring english braid...slightly messy, but still useful!

merryhair
March 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Braids are awesome, but i'm so uncoordinated! hahah! I just got the hang of a plain old boring english braid...slightly messy, but still useful!Reminds me of my first try at an English braid...it was very messy and fuzzy....it took me a while to figure out which strand goes over which.:p Once you learn the basic braid..you'll get the hang of other complicate stuff like french, dutch, accent and crown braids soon (of course with lots of practice!)
Good luck!;)

TXbarbie
March 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
I always wear my hair down... except at work. We have to wear those walkie-talkie things and I'm always fiddling with mine, which gets it stuck in my hair!

anthonyswife
March 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Sure, I'll join. :) I actually started wearing my hair down a lot recently because I was inspired to do so by my sister-in-law (her hair is just a bit shorter than mine, and she can just tousle it in the morning and go, and still look beautiful!), and my hair was actually getting so heavy that it gave me a headache to wear it up.

I'm glad to find this challenge, I was beginning to think that everyone on the forums only wears their hair up, lol.

SlightlySoprano
March 18th, 2010, 07:16 AM
So I find that after wearing my hair down for a while, wearing it up in even a simple pony tail feels too tight, and I end up with a bad head ache by the end of the day, even if I make the loosest ponytail humanly possible!

I gotta say, with this nice weather, I love wearing my hair down and feeling like a hippie:flower:

Messyhair
March 18th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I keep mine down every day. When my hair was waist length, I'd only bun it for work/school and wear it down the rest of the day. I didn't have to deal with tangles or damage the way some do, though.

XcaliburGirl
August 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'm going to try this starting tomorrow after my haircut.

Here are my personal rules:

Wear my hair down one day per week for six weeks
It can be any day of the week
Hair must be down the whole day
Braiding does NOT count for me, since I am trying to acclimate myself to having loose hair

Anisaa
August 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Count me in I LOVE having my hair down in fact it is down 99.9% of the time~~

Viechen
August 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM
If braids are allowed I will join happily. I work at a vet clinic so my hair has to be out of the way for safety reasons but I would enjoy the opportunity to practice some braiding :P
My personal rules are as follows: no buns, ponytail or anything above the hairline. Half ups are allowed because I am growing out my layers and the top layer is short and gets in the way. I think I will start small as well and try one week for now...
Yay, now I am starting to get excited :) I am also getting my hair cut/color next week so this will give me opportunity to show it off better :)

JenniferNoel
August 20th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Pigtails and half ups being okay, then count me in!
I stopped putting my hair up a while ago. I don't like the way it looks. I need hair.