PDA

View Full Version : I made a hair mistake, how do I fix it?

Magsi
April 30th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone. My conditioner has silk amino acids in it and my hair loves it so I figured that a proteine treatment might do good, but I was mistaken. I put a Henna and Placenta treatment in my hair and left it in for one hour. Now my hair is dry and crusty, even after conditioning.

Is this permanent damage or can I fix this?
If it's fixable, please tell me how!

I have jojoba oil, Ojon oil, and several protein free conditioner on hand. Which of these should I use, if any?

TIA!

Mags

Riot Crrl
April 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
You need a protein-free deep moisture treatment, or possibly several. I would start with water (you may not need this if you can get conditioner through your hair dry unlike me) and plenty of the heaviest of the protein-free conditioners, left on a while and bagged if possible to stay wet.

I recently heard something about jojoba oil having protein, which I was unable to independently confirm or deny. Usually any oils are protein-free, but maybe it's due to the fact that jojoba is technically not an oil at all but a liquid wax.

I don't know what Ojon oil is.

If you have olive oil (which a lot of people have around to cook) that could be a good bet to throw over the conditioner and help keep it in. Or coconut oil (NOT MILK) but I assume you'd have mentioned that.

zift
April 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
If you have olive oil (which a lot of people have around to cook) that could be a good bet to throw over the conditioner and help keep it in. Or coconut oil (NOT MILK) but I assume you'd have mentioned that.
You stole the words out of my mouth I was just going to suggest olive oil or coconut oil.Oh well...:D
And to give a taste to the post,I say that heat up the olive oil apply to your hair and than do a CO wash with your conditioner after an hour or so.

physicschick
April 30th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, it's fixable! I agree with Riot Crrl about trying a deep moisture treatment. SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) is cheap and easy. Use a protein-free conditioner for that, though.

icydove
April 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM
It is possible for protein treatments to dry hair out to the point of breakage and splits, especially if it was dry to begin with. If you do not see any physical damage, then it is unlikely that any permanent damage has been done.

If you know your hair likes oil, this would be a good time to use it. However, I wouldn't experiment with any oils you haven't tried before.

What do you usually use for a deep treatment for your hair? If you don't have a preferred method, you might try a long soak in any of the protein-free conditioners you know your hair likes.

Damp braiding/bunning is also a good way to get some moisture in your hair.

Magsi
April 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I saturated my hair in warmed oil and brushed the oil in with a wooden brush. My hair is completely saturated now and I put it in a very high ponytail so I can sleep with the oil in my hair. I will wash my hair in the morning and will come back here after work when my hair is dry to report the results.

Thanks for all the advice!

Mags

spidermom
April 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I did a protein pack over the weekend and got snarly, dry hair for my trouble. I marinated it in coconut oil the first day, washed it out. Better but not back to normal. The day after that I soaked it in conditioner while I relaxed in the tub, did CO, and my hair is back to normal today. Better than normal, actually. Hooray moisture!

Magsi
April 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks spidermom! Your response gives me hope :)

lulabelle
April 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I've done the exact same thing!! I felt like I damaged my hair so much by just that one treatment. What really helped me was to do a long SMT, then after rinsing a heavy oiling on my wet hair. I like coconut the best but the most convenient and cheapest is probably olive oil. I CO'd the oil out and did a damp braided bun. All of these things helped to get the moisture back into my hair. Another thing that works well for me are full fat coconut milk soaks, but that does contain some protein, so I would warn you that if you want to try it, definitely strand test first. Otherwise, just baby it as much as you can, and mist a lot to get as much moisture in there as you can!

Magsi
May 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Ok, so after heavy overnight oiling with palm nut oil, I washed my hair this morning and used Rusk Moist treatment. My hair is much better. The shine is back and the ends aren't so crusty. I see a huge improvement today.