PDA

View Full Version : first time no-cone, is it supposed to feel like this?

tralalalara
February 19th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I tried my first no-cone CWC (Breck-Suave-Breck) (I think the suave is cone free, but I may be mistaken. it's suave naturals in green apple) but now my ends feel.. different..?

I usually use Garnier products, so I'm used to the slimy feel when it's wet, and I expected less sliminess in the shower and just let it be. But now it's mostly dry and the ends feel.. kinda of chalky? It's similar to the feeling my roots had after I tried WO for a week. But it's odd because it's silky from the roots down to about 3/4 to the ends, then my fingers move slower or I risk pulling strands.

is this what other people call "crunchy ends"? because I consider crunchy to be straw-like, like it would get after swimming all day when I was a kid, but it's not like that right now.

I've been using my BBB twice a day for a week or so, so could it just be sebum oils that I've moved down the shaft that didn't get washed off or covered with cones? Or could it be build up of cones that didn't get washed away and smoothed by more cones?

loralie
February 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Honestly, I'm still weaning... it's been a couple of months. Occasionally when my ends get out of hand and no amount of oil will keep the "crunchy" away I do use a little cone leave in just to keep sanity, but many of the users here have gone completely cone free so if it's what you want to do, keep on it! I use lots of oil as a leave in whenever I go cone free and brush it through with my BBB.

SurprisingWoman
February 19th, 2010, 10:50 PM
You could have some damaged ends that are no longer having cones hide the damage. Lots of oiling and SMT'S could help.

When I tried no cones my whole hair texture changed and it all felt awful.

Cones aren't the devil, they just don't work for everyone.

tralalalara
February 19th, 2010, 11:00 PM
it's about three inches that feel this way, so it could be damage? it's only been almost a year since I last used heat tools and hairspray every week for shows so I'm surprised it's not further up, though I have trimmed more off my top layer (which is usually more damaged) than my bottom layer.

and there's a loose but distinct curl pattern appearing in sections around the ear to shoulder area.. hmm...

GoddesJourney
February 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I second weaning. Also, it tends to show that you have hidden damage when you come off cones. Cones are there to hide it. However, you are still weaning so give it some time. It will actually get a little bit better. Sometimes a little clarifying can do you some good.

Loreley
February 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I agree with SurprisingWoman. Maybe the demage was hidden under cones. :confused:
When I started COing I didn't have any problem but my hair wasn't as slippery as it had been before. And then I found out that Garnier Fructis has cone-free conditioners and started to use them. They made my hair more slippery and shiny. I still use one of them. :)

Rhiannon7
February 20th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Do clarifying and a deep moisture treatment like SMT and have patience, i am a cone woman, hair does not get along with no cones condish at all. but when i did go cone free it took some time to realize i had major damage and had to cut to destroy damage, i ended up having to go back to cones or hair would tangle horribly and i ended up cutting tangles out of hair. everyone's hair is different and likes different things.

give it a couple of months, a good clarifying and at least 2 SMT's per week, and see how your hair responds.

Bellona
February 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Like everyone else said, your ends may just need moisture or may have damage that was hidden by cones.

The virgin part of my hair feels soooo nice now that I've gone no-cone, but my layered, dyed and fried bottom part gets tangly and dry feeling. I'm slowly trying to microtrim it away, but sometimes I do put some coney leave in on the ends (or some oil, but my hairs not that long yet and it's hard to get the right amount)

MsBubbles
February 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
My hair felt sticky and gummy when I tried to go no-cones for about 5 weeks. I'm sure to many people I didn't give it long enough, but I had such terrible tangles (i.e. matted ends) I looked like I hadn't taken a bath in a month. If I stayed in my house and never went out then maybe that would've been ok.

There is no way I'm going off cones again! The conditioner is cheap and my hair loves it!

There are many no-cone militants though who may have more constructive advice for you, should you resolve to remain cone-free. Only thing is it's up to you to decide what you can and cannot live with, and how much more damage you might do to your hair through no-cone tangles while you wait for it to adjust. However long that may take. And just because somebody with long, luxurious hair can get along with no-cones, doesn't mean we all can.

It's possible that your previously cone-hidden damage is behind the strange feeling on the ends of your hair, so then there's the question of cutting that damage off now, or doing it a bit at a time, say half your growth each month. You may see progress that way and still be able to remain cone-free.

Also you may just need to become a clarifying fool for a while until all the coney residue is gone.

Roseate
February 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I usually use Garnier products, so I'm used to the slimy feel when it's wet, and I expected less sliminess in the shower and just let it be.

If you usually use and like the coney Garnier, maybe try just switching to a conefree Garnier conditioner, instead of the Breck? I love their 'sleek&shine' conditioner, which is conefree and still nice and slimy.

Kaijah
February 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Pretty much everyone has covered that it's potentially cone-hidden damage, or that you might just want to try clarifying again to make sure any build up is totally off.

Try leaving some conditioner (you can use your regular one, no need to but special leave ins) and/or virgin coconut oil on your ends after every wash to kind of help your ends rehabilitate if it's heat tool damage. This has helped my uber-broken straightened ends more than anything.

Also, if you like that super slippy, slimy Garnier Fructis feel, try their Triple Nutrition conditioner (the dark emerald green bottle). It has that some slick, tangle easing feel without the cones. :) It's one of my favorites.

myrrhmaiden
February 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Because you said it feels chalky with less slip as opposed to dry and crunchy I'm suspicious of buildup. Have you clarified recently? My hair does reveal more damage without cones, but it feels dry and brittle, not less slippery or chalky. I would suggest clarifying first, maybe even just the ends since the rest is feeling nice already.

Tonks
February 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I never really noticed a big difference when I made the switch from cones to cone-free. I only made the switch because I wanted to buy more 'natural' shampoo and conditioner, instead of the commercial kind. I would suggest clarifying before you decide it's damage and maybe cut it off.

Mearwynna
February 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Definitely clarify it before you say it's not working. Then when you wash again do the condition-wash-condition and see if that helps your ends. It does mine.

Olivia23
February 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
When I first switched from no cones, my ends felt dry and tangled easily. Then I bought some coconut oil and I put that on the ends of my hair when it has partially dried. That helped tremendously and I use a wide tooth horn comb to com through the tangles. It gives it enough slip to comb through plus it's good to help retain moisture in your hair.

Ursula
February 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
My guess would be that you need to not just try the no-'cone CWC, but clarify out any 'cone buildup. Once you clarify out any 'cone buildup, your hair is apt to be dry, because the 'cones locked out moisture.

I'd suggest that for your next wash, you do a one-time clarifying. Start your shower by washing your hair, completely, with the shampoo. Twice, if necessary. Then load your hair with the no-'cone conditioner, and twist it up out of the way, so that the conditioner can soak in. Finish your showerly duties. Then rinse your hair well, perhaps combing with a wide-tooth comb as you rinse, to help move the conditioner out of your hair. After you've rinsed, apply a bit more no-'cone conditioner to the length ends, and rinse, as you normally would have done with your conditioner with a shampoo-condition routine.

This method should clean out any 'cone buildup, and give a good dose of moisturizing. After this, continue with your CWC experiment for a few weeks and see how it goes.

egreenleaf
February 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
This is fabulous advice. Thank you. I am going to clarify my hair tomorrow and try the no-cone route fresh again. I've been having the same problems as above.

One thing: can I use any sulfate shampoo to clarify? Or do i need something special?

tralalalara
February 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Once I woke up the next morning, it was completely dry and smooth again,

so I don't know if it was really a problem, just a new feeling?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll pick up a couple different formulas at the dollar store next time I go.

I've been trying routines for a couple weeks each to see how I like them.
=]

cleanbug
February 21st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Also, if you like that super slippy, slimy Garnier Fructis feel, try their Triple Nutrition conditioner (the dark emerald green bottle). It has that some slick, tangle easing feel without the cones. :) It's one of my favorites.
is this the one you speak of?
http://beautyxpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Garnier-Fructis-Triple-Nutrition-Conditioner.JPG