PDA

View Full Version : Cry or laugh? Can't decide

coscass
February 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I saw a friend I haven't seen in a while in the store today on my way home. I went to beauty school with her. We got to talking about our hair, and she actually said this: "Yeah it is kind of uneven (referring to the length of my hair). Not that bad, though. But your hair is really damaged. You should try *product product*."

I can't believe it. I almost want to laugh, because really? My hair isn't really that damaged, it's just dry hair. She was all, "I never get split ends or anything" which is complete BS because she flat irons almost every day.

I decided I'm going to laugh about it, because this girl obviously has no idea what she's talking about.

Fractalsofhair
February 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Well, cones can hide split ends on shorter hair. If she has naturally strong hair, and is getting it cut, and is using cones, I could see how damage might not show up if she's not searching for it. If your hair looks dry, a lot of people mistake that for damage/split ends, because it can cause them. I personally think your hair looks amazing(Unless something has happened since you've posted something!), but hair can look different in person. Moisturize, do a SMT, and see how dry it is then? But, I think she might have been mistaken, since your hair doesn't look dry or damaged at all!

sarah061
February 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Sounds like she was being kind of rude! Especially if you *both* went to beauty school, then surely you would know just as well as she what products to use on your hair. Oh well she was probably just jealous :)

countryhopper
February 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Maybe she is secretly working for that company and gets paid to promote their products? lol!

I agree she's probably getting regular trims so between that and cones she wouldn't notice her own hair's condition.

SurprisingWoman
February 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I think your hair is lovely and to be honest your friend sounds like a beast (or other b word ;))

It sounds like y'all were chatting, she was jealous that you had found natural beauty in your hair and she is still sweating over flat ironing and the whole mess.

If you hadn't told her about your hair insecurities and how your hair was uneven I bet it would have been a very short convo. I think your friend was wicked jealous and trying to make you feel as badly as she did.

coscass
February 19th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I think your hair is lovely and to be honest your friend sounds like a beast (or other b word ;))

It sounds like y'all were chatting, she was jealous that you had found natural beauty in your hair and she is still sweating over flat ironing and the whole mess.

If you hadn't told her about your hair insecurities and how your hair was uneven I bet it would have been a very short convo. I think your friend was wicked jealous and trying to make you feel as badly as she did.

I didn't say a thing about what I've been doing to it. I learned my lesson last time. I did mention it was uneven though.

BlueMuse
February 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I'd be tempted to e-mail her a picture of what flat ironing will do to your hair. Oh, and SurprisingWoman I love love love your hair. It's what I hope my hair aspires to (but I'm not sure what genetics will give me when I get a bit older).

SurprisingWoman
February 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
The fact that you just posted pictures showing the uneven ends and the pics in your album from before with your comments about always moisturizing made me think you had been discussing your routine. Sorry if I misunderstood.

When I meet a friend we normally discuss our common interests. I didn't realize you had already had a hostile past conversation with this person. If this isn't the first time you have experienced her ignorance I wonder that you would give her a second thought. I wouldn't.

SurprisingWoman
February 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
BlueMuse, thank you!

loralie
February 19th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I work in retail and a lady came before halloween in and point blank told me "You dyed over blonde with a dark colour right? I can tell. I'm a hairdresser. It's got this greenish tinge, which I guess if you're going for spooky for halloween is okay, right? HA!"

Yeah, I did. I was stupid and was trying to get back to my natural colour from months of highlighting. What she didn't understand was how much hair got damaged and how depressed I was about my appearance because of it...

People are freaking nutso sometimes.

bte
February 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Yes, you're right to laugh - you're not the one who is delusional.

Cherry_Sprinkle
February 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
uhh what?! your hair looks fabulous! aside from evening up your hemline your hair looks fabulous to me! I don't even see any damage!

this story kind of reminds me of the time this stylist told me I had african american hair and that I had to heat style every day to make my hair look decent "just like african americans".. because obviously to her, african americans cannot have beautiful curly hair or at the least -- decent looking... she's the same stylist who fried my hair and brought me to LHC! my hair was frizzy and she took this to mean damage.. when it really wasn't until she got a hold of it.. I was a curly girl in hiding! Needless to say I never went back to said stylist and I'd advise you to not ask her for more hair advice ;)

Ignore your friend.. keep doing whatever it is you're doing because your hair is beautiful!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 20th, 2010, 03:28 AM
On another point of view, i hate it when i receive random negative comments about my appearance when i didn't ask for their opinion. It's mostly about hair (in my case, dandruff) but it could be other things like bad manicure, acne or gaining weight. If there's a problem about my looks, there's a VERY HIGH chance that i'm aware of it (you knew your hair was dry).

People need to concentrate on themselves. I wonder if she EVER searched for splits in her hair?