PDA

View Full Version : What are your new hair challenges?

Curlsgirl
April 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I posted this on another thread but I still am sort of irritated about it. I was at a basketball arena the other day for a festival/concert and I had my hair in a ponytail in the middle of the back of my head. A man behind me "trapped" my hair between his knees and the back of my seat and didn't even NOTICE. It really hurt when I tried to break free and he STILL didn't notice! I had a headache the rest of the day :mad:

I have never had hair this long (although not really that long by LHC standards) and I am really having trouble getting use to what to do with it! People seem to be so rude about respecting other's space or even paying attention. Also I am starting to feel at risk anytime I wear my hair down just because I am not used to how to handle it and I get scared of ME doing something to it since I seem to catch it on things a lot more.

Just wondered what kind of hair challenge stories you all have. Okay I'm a little bored today :D

mommy101405
April 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I am constantly getting mine caught under the diaper bag strap, not good. Plus last week I was in california and I was totally not used to all the wind. I tried wearing it down a couple times and it got super tangled. Now I have even more damage :mad:

Alaskanheart
April 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I posted this on another thread but I still am sort of irritated about it. I was at a basketball arena the other day for a festival/concert and I had my hair in a ponytail in the middle of the back of my head. A man behind me "trapped" my hair between his knees and the back of my seat and didn't even NOTICE. It really hurt when I tried to break free and he STILL didn't notice! I had a headache the rest of the day :mad:

:D

A boy in highschool that sat behind me in history used to trap my hair with the front of his desk and the back of my chair:mad:, I used to get "stuck" after every class. It was quite embarrassing and I was shy and not very popular in the first place.The boy eventually admitting doing it on purpose a few years later.He thought it was funny:rolleyes:

My hair isnt long yet or as long as I have had before but it is bringing on challenges Ive never had before, especially since I am now so hyperaware of things that could damage. Im in the range now where my purse, zippers, and buttons on clothes are starting to snag a bit.

ETA: Maybe it was the same boy all grown -up?hehe

zift
April 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I agree some people just doesn't have respect for your personal space. When they pass by you,they just have to rub on your hair. :rolleyes: Anyway I've seen that I cannot live like this,nobody even cares about my hair(and the world is not turning around me:lol:) so I try to protect it as much as possible in crowded places. I've had it stuck in lots of things and people sitting on it.:p You just keep an eye on it or if you couldn't put it up.;)

Curlsgirl
April 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I just remembered I bought a really nice "The North Face" jacket about 2 months ago obviously not for long hairs. It has VELCRO all up and down the front. I thought maybe I could keep my hair away from it but I got it caught bad yesterday. Guess THAT was a waste of money :taz:

physicschick
April 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I tend to regard the area between my knees and the seat in front of me as "my" space, so I try to keep my hair from falling behind the back of my seat because it's somebody else's space. If my hair is down or braided, I either lean against it or put it in my lap.

Currently I'm having problems with catching my braid tassel on the seatbelt. Also, my usual bun isn't working as well because of extra ends sticking out. I'm overdue for a trim. Maybe that will fix it?

amaiaisabella
April 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm getting used to my hair in updos, but I can't get over the fear that someone is going to take out my clip or stick as a joke, and won't get why I burst into tears that my perfect updo has been ruined :(

curls2grow
April 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'm back at shoulder length now, so my hair is getting caught a lot more under the shoulder strap of my handbags. I like the new shorter length for now, so I will have to remember to move my hair to the other side, which I've gotten out of habit doing.

tiny_teesha
April 30th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I whipped my friend with my hair the other day....opps....lol

CurlyNinja
April 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I hate when someone knocks my hairstick by accident and destabilizes the whole thing so I have to redo it. Yesterday I was making a waffle in the dining hall and an old friend of mine came up behind me and tapped it, but I didn't mind much then, for some reason. It didn't really get messed up or anything, it was just new experience.

I generally have a hard time keeping my hair from getting caught under the straps on my backpack. This has been a problem for a while, but is getting worse.

Riot Crrl
April 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I don't mean this to come off as blaming you at all, truly I do not. But I have personally found sporting events to be largely filled with folks who are oblivious to a lot of what's going on around them. It might be a good time for an updo or at least wearing the pony or braid over the front shoulder.

It might not be my responsibility to keep it contained that way, rather than others' responsibility to be aware of their surroundings, but all I know is the outcome is better if I am more paranoid about it. It's pretty easy for me since I've been doing similar for a long time.

I used to just lean back on it myself against seats and things though (but I never hung it over the back) and now I don't do that anymore, so that's new.

kikuko
April 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Today I was redoing my hair at lunch and my friend saw my hair in just a ponytail rather than a bun and asked why I don't ever wear it down. I told him how it would get in my food and caught in my zipper and the car door and under my backpack. He was like, "No it won't." I was kind of annoyed because he's obviously never had long hair.

Anyway, I would recommend wearing your hair up more. People will be less likely to mess with it and it will stay less tangled.

Nat242
May 1st, 2008, 02:43 AM
I've worn my hair up every day for uni this semester - but today it was looking nice so I decided to wear it down. Not only did I find it difficult to put my backpack on without catching my hair on it, but I also found it very difficult to negotiate around my headphones (I've got those headphones where the band goes around the back of your neck rather than on top of your head).

Last time I wore my hair down to university it was not nearly this difficult - which I guess is a good sign :p

-- Natalie

Shanarana
May 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM

I have never had hair this long (although not really that long by LHC standards) and I am really having trouble getting use to what to do with it! People seem to be so rude about respecting other's space or even paying attention. Also I am starting to feel at risk anytime I wear my hair down just because I am not used to how to handle it and I get scared of ME doing something to it since I seem to catch it on things a lot more.

Just wondered what kind of hair challenge stories you all have. Okay I'm a little bored today :D

That is so rude! I haven't had anything happen yet (knock knock) not sure what I would do short of socking someone in the face.

Curlsgirl
May 1st, 2008, 06:27 AM
I don't mean this to come off as blaming you at all, truly I do not. But I have personally found sporting events to be largely filled with folks who are oblivious to a lot of what's going on around them. It might be a good time for an updo or at least wearing the pony or braid over the front shoulder.

It might not be my responsibility to keep it contained that way, rather than others' responsibility to be aware of their surroundings, but all I know is the outcome is better if I am more paranoid about it. It's pretty easy for me since I've been doing similar for a long time.

I used to just lean back on it myself against seats and things though (but I never hung it over the back) and now I don't do that anymore, so that's new.No offense taken! Yep I did that the rest of the days there! Oh and also I didn't put it behind the seat on purpose. At my length it's not long enough to really STAY in front of the seat when in a ponytail which made it harder. I did learn a big lesson though!

Curlsgirl
May 1st, 2008, 06:28 AM
Today I was redoing my hair at lunch and my friend saw my hair in just a ponytail rather than a bun and asked why I don't ever wear it down. I told him how it would get in my food and caught in my zipper and the car door and under my backpack. He was like, "No it won't." I was kind of annoyed because he's obviously never had long hair.

Anyway, I would recommend wearing your hair up more. People will be less likely to mess with it and it will stay less tangled.Yes that is definitely what I've been doing.

That is so rude! I haven't had anything happen yet (knock knock) not sure what I would do short of socking someone in the face.
:luke: Hee hee!!!

Tresses
May 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
I tend to regard the area between my knees and the seat in front of me as "my" space, so I try to keep my hair from falling behind the back of my seat because it's somebody else's space. If my hair is down or braided, I either lean against it or put it in my lap.

Agreed. When I am in a public place I consider that my personal space ends at the back of my chair, and pull my hair (if it's not in an updo) over my shoulder to the front.

That said, the man in question should have noticed that Curlsgirl was having difficulty removing her hair from that situation. (You'd think he'd feel the tugging? :rolleyes:) But since he wasn't, had I been in that situation, I would've reached behind me to get his attention (or asked whoever was with me to get his attention), instead of trying to pull my hair out of its snug spot.

In a perfect world, we'd all respect each other's personal space. In reality, it's my hair and my job to protect it. Lesson learned. :flower:

ETA: We each tend to think of our hair as a part of our bodies, and expect people to respect that. Strangers (normal ones, at least) wouldn't reach out and grab or trap our arms, but for some reason, they don't think of our hair as an extention of our bodies and we rightly get annoyed or upset when they cross that line. OTOH, I've often read comments from longhairs over the years about how they've let their hair get into situations because it's wandered into someone else's personal space. If we wouldn't hang our arms over into someone else's space, we ought to be just as careful with our hair.

Hope that made sense. :)

salamander
May 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've developed this weird problem getting my hair into a shower cap. I sleep with my hair in two braids, and then I shower in the morning, so it's still like that. It used to be I just flipped my braids over my head and put the cap on top, but now when I put my braids over my head they come so far down the other side that the cap doesn't cover them! I have to twist them or fold them up or something so they'll fit in my shower cap. It's irritating, but I don't really mind. :)

Kiraela
May 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
my major hair challenge, oddly enough, is sleeping. If I leave it loose, I end up getting it trapped under my elbows when I go to roll over in the middle of the night. If I braid, the end always ends up either under my ribs, which hurts, under DBF, which hurts when I try to move, or somehow, up DBF's nose. :/

buns both come out, and are too uncomfortable... *sigh*

Loose causes the least breakage though, so... loose it is.

Also: yeah, we tend to think of our hair as part of our bodies, but to most others, it's an accessory like a jacket or a pair of earrings, so they don't notice as much. When I'm in places where there might be people sitting/standing close behind me and it's down, the hair is pretty well always pulled to the front. Not that that always stops accidents, of course, (a friend of mine once caught my hair on his coat button brushing past me in a crowded venue... I just laughed at him and said, "*name*, you've got enough hair, can I please have mine back?") but it helps.

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I've gotten to the point this year where it's a hassle to put on close-fitting clothing, like a sports bra, when my hair is down. Also if I'm shopping for clothes, having my hair down is a major bother. Having it up is kind of a bother, too; it gets loose and stray hairs come down all over the place. I'm constantly re-doing it.

shrimp
May 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I keep yoinking my hair as when my briad is pulled over my shoulder at the front it keeps falling in between my thighs and gets stuck (when I'm sitting at my desk, legs crossed at ankles or knees).

I don't notice, go to move my head back and ouchie! :scared:

I also need to keep checking I haven't loaded my braid into my (front loading) washing machine along with my clothes. Or dunked it in the sink while washing up.

I seem to have hit an awkward stage of late :lol: Braids used to be a reasonably safe alternative to buns for hanging around the house. No longer.

heidihug
May 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM
These problems everyone has cited are the reason that I only wear my hair down outside of the house about once a year - and that includes loose ponytails. I cannot stand to have my hair caught in my seat belt retractor - ouch, that's the worst! Also, I hate the way it whips around in the wind and gets tangled. And gets caught under me when I sit.

When I am home I most often do not have it down, either, unless I am letting it dry. I really have a problem loading the dishwasher when it's down - my hair falls onto the dirty dishes or gets caught among the cutlery.

I told my husband that I would like to go out to eat for my birthday in a couple of weeks, and I am thinking about wearing it down for that occasion - as you can tell, it's really quite momentous for me to even consider it! But I know he really likes it down and I want to try to make it curly, which I haven't done in ages.

Periwinkle
May 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I get my hair caught round the buttons on my cushions at night. It drives me mad! I'll wake up in the middle of the night for a glass of water, and they'll be this whacking great cushion hanging from my head.