PDA

View Full Version : Please advise.....

whiteisle
February 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
well.............who knew it would go like this? Made an appointment yesterday to get a small trim from the same lady who did it last time and who did a fairly good job. Take myself and my dd (3 yo) in. Tell the lady 1/8 - 1/4 inch off, just a light dusting of the ends since they aren't damaged but just in case I'm missing any splits, blah, blah, blah....

She suggests, and I agree, to let her cut it so the under layer is ever so slightly longer than the top layers and to angle the hair by the face, nothing drastic, like she did last time so that it has some movement and personality. She washes it in Ion stuff (I've never used it but my hair definitely does NOT like it - it's a protein thing) then sprays it with more protein conditioning stuff (my hair I know is totally freaked out by this point) then proceeds to trim without separating into layers. She just combed the whole wad straight and started cutting. She did this last time but everything turned out ok so I wasn't too concerned. Then she cut in the long layer thing and angled the front sections.

I did manage to avoid her hair dryer even though she was very insistant. That was the only plus for the day.

Next she gets dd in her chair. I don't know if some recall that the last time she had her hair cut it was done by another lady and was supposed to be a pixie that ended up being nothing more than a boy cut. :( It has since grown quite a bit to the point she had something to work with and I thought this lady could produce. WRONG! Can we say "Mullet"??? What the hey??? Seriously! Short on top, long though the back with length that covers half her ears. Absolutely stupid! Why can't anyone cut a little girl's hair short and make it look good??

So, real quick, back to my hair...since being home I have discovered my under layers look like Edward Sissor Hands did the job. Choppy and uneven and they peak out from under the top layers. And then there is something weird going on with the top layer/canopy. It's uneven and chopped looking, too. And here's the cherry on my sundae.......She took a whole blasted INCH off!!!! :rant:

So here are the questions:

Do I try to get my hair "fixed" by someone or do I leave it alone for a few more months and just suck it up?

And for dd, do I try to get her's redone or leave it alone as well and just try to deal with it?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just still fuming from all this! /rant

Tonks
February 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Since you've already had an inch cut off, I'd suggest staying away from trying to get your hair fixed, because inevitably, you'll end up with even shorter hair. :(

christine1989
February 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thats awful! I think you should leave it alone and let it grow out to avoid another disaster. You could wear it in updos for a month or two until it is back to its original state. In the mean time search for a good hairdresser- the same guy has cut my hair since I was 3. When he retires I will never get it cut again! :)

Lamb
February 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'd stay away from hairdressers for a while - you'll end up with even shorter hair, as someone has said already.
As for your little girl: does she mind? Is the hair getting in the way (does it ever interfere with her vision or is it long enough to get tangled up badly during play)? If it's not a problem, leave it alone, then, a good many months hence, take her to another hairdresser and have it evened out into a nice cut. (Talk with the new stylist beforehand.)

whiteisle
February 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Yes, leaving it alone is probably the best. *sigh*

I woke up this morning with a feeling that it was going to be be "one of those days" and guess what? It was. :p

frodolaughs
February 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
If I was you I'd leave both heads of hair alone for a bit, because haircuts always do make everything shorter. Maybe after your daughter's hair has grown a bit you can find a new hairdresser and go in with pre-researched photos to show as an example.

LadyJennifer
February 19th, 2010, 09:39 PM
That's terrible! I was always scared of getting my hair trimmed when I had it long. Now that I'm trying to grow it out, and just had it trimmed, I'm going to see how long I can go without trims. I might even just "dust" the ends if they need it once it's long enough. As for dd (2yo) I don't think scissors will ever touch her hair! Lol

Renbirde
February 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
Eek!

Just let it grow for a while. :grouphug:

And next time you need it trimmed, try a barber, rather than a hairdresser. They tend to be more reasonable-- craftsmen, rather than arteest!s. They seem to be a little more careful about giving the client what they asked for, instead of what they think they should have asked for. :) And they tend to be more affordable, too.

whiteisle
February 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Would you all believe I am still fuming about this whole thing?! Of course you would! :) I am absolutely disgusted with my hair right now. I can't stand to see it down and I'm kicking myself for even going in the first place. I know, however, that none of that helps or changes the situation but it still ticks me off nonetheless. So I've resolved to wearing it up as much as I can employing the "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" theory and hoping I can get through the next 6 months without a trim. I'm not sure though. If she butchered it as bad as I think I might have to trim before that - gosh I hope not.

Eek!

Just let it grow for a while. :grouphug:

And next time you need it trimmed, try a barber, rather than a hairdresser. They tend to be more reasonable-- craftsmen, rather than arteest!s. They seem to be a little more careful about giving the client what they asked for, instead of what they think they should have asked for. :) And they tend to be more affordable, too.

Yes! I think I will. I had toyed with the idea of going back to a lady who has done it in the past but she takes pretty big liberties with her styling and that makes me a bit concerned, too. So a barbar might be just the ticket. Perhaps they might have a better handle on what 1/8-1/4 inch means! :mad::D And I won't have to pay $40 for a dusting either. ;)

GuinevereMay
February 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
I took my daughter into a salon that specializes in children to get her hair trimmed. The stylist hacked random chunks out of her hair. It looked strange, but usually once we get home, I can get her hair to work just fine. It was so bad that three days later, I finally called the salon and complained. They had me bring my daughter back in and fixed it without cutting off too much more for free. They apologized profusely and I found out later that a lot of people were having problems with that stylist and they subsequently took her off the schedule.

It might be worth it to call the salon to see if they can do anything. If nothing else, they can at least let the stylist know they need to be more careful and perhaps brush up on their technique.

My sister is a stylist and the one time someone had a problem, she felt so terrible about it that she came in on her off day to fix it and gave her her next cut for free. I know she was glad that the lady told her she was unhappy so she could fix it.

whiteisle
February 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I took my daughter into a salon that specializes in children to get her hair trimmed. The stylist hacked random chunks out of her hair. It looked strange, but usually once we get home, I can get her hair to work just fine. It was so bad that three days later, I finally called the salon and complained. They had me bring my daughter back in and fixed it without cutting off too much more for free. They apologized profusely and I found out later that a lot of people were having problems with that stylist and they subsequently took her off the schedule.

It might be worth it to call the salon to see if they can do anything. If nothing else, they can at least let the stylist know they need to be more careful and perhaps brush up on their technique.

My sister is a stylist and the one time someone had a problem, she felt so terrible about it that she came in on her off day to fix it and gave her her next cut for free. I know she was glad that the lady told her she was unhappy so she could fix it.

I know I should probably complain and ask that she fix mine and dd's hair but honestly, I don't want the woman coming near our heads again. When I see dd's hair I get a pit in my stomach but I don't know what could be done to fix it other than giving her an ultra short pixie - which she looks freakin' adorable in but so many people confuse her for a boy and I don't want that to happen again.....I don't know if that bothered her or not but I felt bad for her when I had to correct people. *sigh*

GuinevereMay
February 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
I understand not wanting that stylist near your hair (or your DD's.) You might want to let the salon know you had a problem so that perhaps someone else won't have that happen to them. I understand not wanting to do that, either, though, I really do. It took a lot for me to actually call and complain when they hacked my daughter's hair. I was really glad after I did call, though.

Tovah
February 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
That story brought back such memories. I took my daughter to the hairdresser once. I explicitly told the hairdresser NO layers as she has very curly hair- I didn't want her to end up looking like a poodle. I had her younger brother in tow who was in the process of potty training and "had to go". So I left her in the hands of the hairdresser whom I trusted especially since I had just told him exactly what I was looking for. When I came out of the bathroom, I was shocked. He had totally layered her hair and she looked like a poodle with a bad hair cut!

The experience was so traumatic for both of us that she didn't go to the salon for a haircut again until after she was in college. I would trim the ends myself whenever she came home. She's 29 now and seldom has her hair cut shorter than shoulder length.

smilinjenn71
February 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM
So sorry to read this.:grouphug: It has to be incredibly frustrating considering the time you took to explain your goals and it turned out so bad. Good advice to let it grow for awhile before another trim....I know it will feel like an eternity though.:(

charley27
February 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM
I vote for leaving it all alone right now, too. A similar thing happened to me and my THREE daughters last November. Layers, chopped up messes......

I left it all alone for a good eight months before I went in to get it all more evened up. It was a good decision. I know how sickening it is.

oceanwoman111
February 21st, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you!! I would feel the same way:mad. Especially because I think your hair is absolutely exquisite!! Perfect texture and thickness. Just last night and I'm not kidding, I showed my mom your pic and said "That woman's hair is going to be so fantastic as it gets longer. Look how thick and smooth it is!"

So don't get down, you are hair-gifted and this is a minor setback on what promises to be a wonderful hair journey for you. It will grow out in no time. I can't believe she even suggested any kind of layer for you. Sometimes when your hair is that stunning, hairdressers want to cut it or do something to it. I would definitely just let it go a while. If it gets to the point where it really bothers you, take you time and find someone you really trust. It's so hard!! I can't find a hairdresser because I hate how they rip through my hair when it's wet with a comb or take off more than I ask for. I'm tempted to say, I'll let you trim it ,but I'm going to comb it myself gently. Best Wishes!!:flower:

whiteisle
February 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
So sorry to read this.:grouphug: It has to be incredibly frustrating considering the time you took to explain your goals and it turned out so bad. Good advice to let it grow for awhile before another trim....I know it will feel like an eternity though.:(

Every day longer than the last, right? I'm really trying to "keep on the sunny side". ;)

I'm so sorry that this happened to you!! I would feel the same way:mad. Especially because I think your hair is absolutely exquisite!! Perfect texture and thickness. Just last night and I'm not kidding, I showed my mom your pic and said "That woman's hair is going to be so fantastic as it gets longer. Look how thick and smooth it is!"

So don't get down, you are hair-gifted and this is a minor setback on what promises to be a wonderful hair journey for you. It will grow out in no time. I can't believe she even suggested any kind of layer for you. Sometimes when your hair is that stunning, hairdressers want to cut it or do something to it. I would definitely just let it go a while. If it gets to the point where it really bothers you, take you time and find someone you really trust. It's so hard!! I can't find a hairdresser because I hate how they rip through my hair when it's wet with a comb or take off more than I ask for. I'm tempted to say, I'll let you trim it ,but I'm going to comb it myself gently. Best Wishes!!:flower:

You are incredibly sweet to say such things! :flowers: I can't believe you're talking about me though. :bigeyes: If you only knew the love/hate relationship my hair and I have......lol

Thank you for the compliments and also the advice. I'm extremely gun-shy right now. I'm even thinking I'll just do it myself or get dh to do it when it needs it. Why pay for a mess up when you can do it yourself for free! Ha! j/k ;) Seriously, I am studying the Feye's self trim now for that possibility though.

frodolaughs
February 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
whiteisle, have you considered self-trimming? I'm not seeing it mentioned here, but many members trim their own hair. I've done it myself a couple times, and have also asked my boyfriend to trim my ends. Since he likes my hair long I know he'll never cut off more than I want, and cutting straight across with no layers is really pretty simple. All you need are good, sharp scissors.

chopandchange
February 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Oh, poor, poor you. I went through this kind of thing many, many times until I finally decided ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH! They completely ignore your instructions, cover your hair with gunk, damage it and chop off loads and loads of length, and then charge you for the privilege...

Seriously, going to the hairdresser's is a weird kind of experience if you think about it. We women are supposed to look forward to it as a pampering experience, apparently, but why? It used to fill me with dread because I never knew if I was going to walk out with what I'd asked for - a tiny trim. A perfect stranger mauling our hair around and washing it with products it's not used to, brushing and combing it roughly with tools we've been avoiding, etc...then nodding and pretending they will do what we ask but then going ahead and cutting our hair any way they fancy because "they know best..." and then we're expected to PAY. It's kind of bizarre.

Personally, I would recommend learning how to trim your hair yourself next time. You can wash your own face. You can pluck your own eyebrows. You can wax your own legs and paint your own nails, so why not cut your own hair? You don't have to have it done by someone else. If you are aiming to have really long hair, you can really do without all the damage and over-zealous trimming you will get at a salon - unless you are fortunate enough to find that rare thing: a hairdresser who actually does as they're asked. I have never, ever found one. It's really not as hard as it sounds to trim your own hair - loads of people on here do it - and it means you have complete control over how much is cut off. Either that, or get someone else to do it - a family member perhaps?

Since you have straight hair, a self-trim might be more noticable than it would on someone with uneven wavy hair. I can get away with trimming my own layers because my hair is kind of wonky anyway! But I'd rather a non-professional (i.e., me!) cut a tiny bit off in the way I request albeit with an amateur untrained hand, than a professional did a technically perfect style that just happens to be NOTHING like what I requested and brings me to tears!

whiteisle
February 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Oh, poor, poor you. I went through this kind of thing many, many times until I finally decided ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH! They completely ignore your instructions, cover your hair with gunk, damage it and chop off loads and loads of length, and then charge you for the privilege...

Seriously, going to the hairdresser's is a weird kind of experience if you think about it. We women are supposed to look forward to it as a pampering experience, apparently, but why? It used to fill me with dread because I never knew if I was going to walk out with what I'd asked for - a tiny trim. A perfect stranger mauling our hair around and washing it with products it's not used to, brushing and combing it roughly with tools we've been avoiding, etc...then nodding and pretending they will do what we ask but then going ahead and cutting our hair any way they fancy because "they know best..." and then we're expected to PAY. It's kind of bizarre.

Personally, I would recommend learning how to trim your hair yourself next time. You can wash your own face. You can pluck your own eyebrows. You can wax your own legs and paint your own nails, so why not cut your own hair? You don't have to have it done by someone else. If you are aiming to have really long hair, you can really do without all the damage and over-zealous trimming you will get at a salon - unless you are fortunate enough to find that rare thing: a hairdresser who actually does as they're asked. I have never, ever found one. It's really not as hard as it sounds to trim your own hair - loads of people on here do it - and it means you have complete control over how much is cut off. Either that, or get someone else to do it - a family member perhaps?

Since you have straight hair, a self-trim might be more noticable than it would on someone with uneven wavy hair. I can get away with trimming my own layers because my hair is kind of wonky anyway! But I'd rather a non-professional (i.e., me!) cut a tiny bit off in the way I request albeit with an amateur untrained hand, than a professional did a technically perfect style that just happens to be NOTHING like what I requested and brings me to tears!

Amen to all of that! :D I've come to the realization that it's a total waste of money and stress to go to someone "professional". I'm going to try trimming myself next time for sure. Can't be any worse, right? lol