PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Hair!

Jorchet
February 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I was exploring around on Flickr and came across this wonderful, long, colourful mane! I don't know if anyone's already posted these links; it was difficult to find it through searching.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/4096257197/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/4096852196/

Gorgeous!

SunshineHair
February 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
That was just amazing!!!!! I bet it took hours to get that all done!

Leisje
February 19th, 2010, 12:32 PM
That looks sooo pretty, and very vibrant indeed.
But my head aches at the thought of the upkeep of such loveliness. Oye!

paperwhite
February 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Wow, I can't believe that's all her own hair. The colors are really, really vivid. I wonder how often she needs to do touch ups, or if this was a one shot deal? I can't imagine trying to separate out 19 different locks of hair to do root touch ups!

janiejones
February 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Goodness! That is definitely the most colorful hair I've seen.

Merkaba
February 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It's beautiful, but Im sure it took hours and hours of work, and since she had to bleach it to get the colors to look like they do (yes I know this for sure), all that hair will probably have to be cut off in a few years. Pretty for now though.

Star Eagle
February 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Your right awesome color.... probably the colors for the hair are toxic to me ...so I just have to love it on someone else. Kind of reminds me of when I put hair wraps in my long hair... of all kinds of colors and beads... it was fun... wish I was part of a group of women who liked to get together and play with each others hair... thanks for sharing Star

mellie
February 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Wow!! That's beautiful and amazing!

Star Eagle
February 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Jorchet,
thanks for discovering these pictures... I really enjoyed them...to bad there don't have colored text we could rainbow write with... wouldn't that be fun...
Love your curls... for me to get curls I have to braid my hair and keep it in for 2 days then I have curly hair... its fun... life is what you make it...why not make it fun! Star

Tangerine
February 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Isn't that the same woman someone blogged about recently?

...off to check....

sherigayle
February 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM
That's my new goal when I get more grays.

Wavelength
February 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The hair is very striking and unique but... I don't know, I got kinda creeped out by her face. I thought at first she was a mannequin because of her blank stare and plastic-looking skin and unnaturally bright green eyes.

Interesting pic though, and shows what you can do with long, coloured hair. Touch-ups would be a nightmare though!

Heidi_234
February 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'm glad somebody brought her to everybody's attention. She's my hair idol! Her hair is about thigh length, and she mentioned in one of her pictures it's inching towards her knees. Her hair is amazing, even before all the manic panic frenzy. I don't want to sound like a stalker, :oops: but uh - I just wish somebody would have invited her here (I don't own a flickr account). Pretty please? :flower:

Fractalsofhair
February 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I love her hair!

MakeLoveNotWar
February 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Wow she is absolutely gorgeous!

Fethenwen
February 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Wow! And she's wearing crazy lenses too! I bet her hair is in terrible condition though, but it looks so striking so I don't care about that part :D

Calista
February 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I am a big fan of natural hair, and I don´t see the appeal of those lurid colours at all.

Sammich
February 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm glad somebody brought her to everybody's attention. She's my hair idol! Her hair is about thigh length, and she mentioned in one of her pictures it's inching towards her knees. Her hair is amazing, even before all the manic panic frenzy. I don't want to sound like a stalker, :oops: but uh - I just wish somebody would have invited her here (I don't own a flickr account). Pretty please? :flower:

*Nod* Me too. I've known about her for a while and somebody SHOULD invite her, she sounds like a LHCER when she describes what she does! :p She is defo my hair idol too. <3 Amazinggg... if only I could really have her curls/waves though. LOL! :p :cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/2065232324/

This picture of her hair is amazing too. :) There's so many. :D

JamieRose
February 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM
OMG. I think... I think I'm in love. :heartbeat

LadyJennifer
February 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Striking, but not beautiful on a real person, imo. It's a shame her long hair is so damaged:(

Heliotrope
February 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Wow. That is so beautiful.

I noticed her skin is very fair; maybe she's naturally blonde? If she doesn't need to bleach she might be able to achieve that colour without too much damage.

Cherry_Sprinkle
February 19th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I've faved a few of her hair pics a long while back.. I am pretty sure I read shes a natural red head :)

ItalianFlower
February 19th, 2010, 02:47 PM
That is SO amazingly beautiful! :D

sarah061
February 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Wow, that is so beautiful!! I love her bright green eyes and her eyebrows too - beautiful. Her hair looks like it's in good condition too, it looks so silky soft! <3

enfys
February 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
If she just bleaches the roots to touch up the colour, and has the right hair type, then her hair probably isn't damaged much more than anyone elses.

I have seen her before linked here but I've no idea how to find that.

Isn't this one of those sickening ladies who wears awesome eyeshadow too, to match her see-it-from-space hair? I'm jealous.

YesitsReal
February 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Wow! I'll bet her updos look SO COOL!!

halo_tightens
February 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
It's just so... pretty!

I wouldn't wear it, but I enjoy seeing it. I like colors! :)

Kirry-Folk
February 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Her hair isn't bleached. She is a natural blonde (I THINK, here is one of her oldest photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/2070466519/in/set-72157603291243677/). If you look through her albums her olllldest picture of her, she has blond curly hair.

:P She has had that crazy gorgeous long hair for years, and it doesn't look very damaged to me at all.

:redgrin: This woman is my hero. She's 32, and I can only DREAM of doing crazy awesome things like that past the "socially acceptable age" of doing so.

ravenreed
February 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I would have to destroy my hair to bleach it light enough to get those colors. I am impatiently waiting for my hair to go all grey so I can start playing with the more vibrant colors available... I LOVE it!

MissMandyElizab
February 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
WOW that is like a child hood dream or something!!!!

ChrissieM
February 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
This is by far the coolest thing I've seen all day. (OK, I haven't really left the house at all except to go buy cat food, but still it's the coolest). I would love to see that hair in real life.

ravenreed
February 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have afriend who has short, dark hair and does her bangs in turquoise and purple. It looks so awesome!

chargersfan
February 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM
How she dyes it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3838719828/

*Aoife*
February 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Oh wow! It's a little like the way a friend of a friend dyed his hair for Pride. Only this is far cooler :D

Kris Dove
February 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! :)

Hana
February 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Brilliant.
So refreshing to see.
I wonder what its like re-dying the roots? yowza.

Kya
February 19th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Here's a picture of her hair in 2003. It's beautiful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/page167/

ravenreed
February 19th, 2010, 04:29 PM
That description is hysterical.

How she dyes it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3838719828/

girloctopus
February 19th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I was just looking at her flickr this morning! Amazing to look at. The colors are so not for me personally, but then they look fabulous on her! And then I look at her length and reconsider growing to terminal. *sigh*

jivete
February 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
That is amazing. I love her contacts too. I would love to play with some color, but will have to wait until I'm gray. I did see a lady at an event once with all gray hair and pink stripes. It looked great.

Gypsy
February 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
*gasp*
I love it!
Gimmegimmegimme!!

morguebabe
February 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Wow, I can't believe that's all her own hair. The colors are really, really vivid. I wonder how often she needs to do touch ups, or if this was a one shot deal? I can't imagine trying to separate out 19 different locks of hair to do root touch ups!

I have anywhere between 8 to 12 streaks of color in my hair. It takes my DBF 12 hours or more to mix the bleach, bleach it (let it sit) (wash it out)...(let it dry) add funky color), add regular color, wash that out. We do it in a two day process...

christine1989
February 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Awesome colors but I hate to immagine all of the damage created by it!

Gypsy
February 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Here's a picture of her hair in 2003. It's beautiful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/page167/

Gawd, the red is gorgeous, too!

Roseate
February 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Whoo, I'm glad somebody's doing beautiful crazy stuff like this to her hair, so I can enjoy the pictures. The whole process would so not be worth it to me, but I'm glad it is to her! Pretty!

ArienEllariel
February 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
quote=Calista;981972]I am a big fan of natural hair, and I don&#180;t see the appeal of those lurid colours at all.[/quote]

same here. :? But to each her own.

nowxisxforever
February 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Ohhhh so pretty! You have no idea how happy that makes me.

When I very first started growing out my hair, I planned - ORIGINALLY - to grow it out really long, then bleach it and dye it rainbow colors, enjoy it, then cut it all off.

Jorchet
February 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Jorchet,
thanks for discovering these pictures... I really enjoyed them...to bad there don't have colored text we could rainbow write with... wouldn't that be fun...
Love your curls... for me to get curls I have to braid my hair and keep it in for 2 days then I have curly hair... its fun... life is what you make it...why not make it fun! Star

Thanks for the compliments, Star Eagle! My hair's been curly forever! Was pretty bald as a baby (they used to shave babies head back then) and took forever to start looking like a gir's curly hair! lol

As for the rainbow mane, I just think she looks gorgeous! Her pale skin, the looooong long tresses and the bright colours.
I don't think I'd do it on myself, except with photoshop. which I've already done! lol

I wonder what she does for a living, can you imagine her working in a bank or some place really serious? :lol:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/Jorchet/Curls/th_100_0165c12.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/Jorchet/Curls/?action=view&current=100_0165c12.jpg)

walterSCAN
February 19th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm ALL SORTS of jealous of that woman's hair... :thud:

I've always dreamed of being able to do that... but the combination of the damage it would do/ having to have a job (that definitely disapproves of unnatural colors) has always deterred me... :(

I'd SO love to do that without the yellow...

Rhiannon7
February 20th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Wow! thanks for sharing, beautiful rainbow hair.
but it must be quite damaging to her hair, or could it be safe?

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 01:44 AM
The hair is very striking and unique but... I don't know, I got kinda creeped out by her face. I thought at first she was a mannequin because of her blank stare and plastic-looking skin and unnaturally bright green eyes.

Interesting pic though, and shows what you can do with long, coloured hair. Touch-ups would be a nightmare though!
I'm sorry you're creeped out by my face. Sometimes I deliberately edit my self-portraits to make myself look like a doll. For me, photo manipulations are a technically challenging art form. I wouldn't expect you to believe I have wings just because you saw photos of me that looked like I had them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3335127362/

If you want candid photos of me taken by other people while I was frizzed out, overheated and nearly burnt to a crisp in the DC heat of August, there are plenty here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/galleries/72157622276101703/

Also, the reason I usually have no expression on my face is because I hate having my picture taken. I did the 365 Days challenge on Flickr (where you take a self-portrait everyday for a year) to try and get over it. The result was that I hated having my picture taken even more and vowed never to do 365 Days again. So that blank expression of mine that creeps you out is me trying to disconnect from the discomfort of taking my own picture. But what else can I do? No one will model for me. So if I want to practice photo manipulations on a person, I am the guinea pig.

Definitely not a one shot deal. I've been dying my hair for twenty years. I do different colors each time. This is the most elaborate I've ever done. I had eighteen different colors on my hair. The nineteenth was on my eyebrows. The colors are really vivid because I had just dyed it and my hair was still damp.

nowxisxforever
February 20th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Definitely not a one shot deal. I've been dying my hair for twenty years. I do different colors each time. This is the most elaborate I've ever done. I had eighteen different colors on my hair. The nineteenth was on my eyebrows. The colors are really vivid because I had just dyed it and my hair was still damp.

That's amazing. I can't imagine the patience it takes to do so much detail on it. How often do you have to re-do it? What's your natural color you're bleaching from?

My henna is time-consuming, but mostly in terms of waiting-- the actual glopping on and rinsing of the henna is so easy. I guess I'll be thankful that it's a fairly straightforward process from here on out, eh? :)

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 03:16 AM
It's beautiful, but Im sure it took hours and hours of work, and since she had to bleach it to get the colors to look like they do (yes I know this for sure), all that hair will probably have to be cut off in a few years. Pretty for now though.
I've been dying my hair for twenty years, treating it with harsh chemicals for 24 years. First time was chemical straightener at the age of nine because my naturally curly red hair made me stand out from everyone else when all I wanted to do was blend in. It did not work. That was one of the first clues I had about the truth of my hair --- it can't be conquered. I'm not claiming this is normal for everyone. It absolutely is NOT. However, what's normal for me is, I can treat my hair with harsh chemicals and it has bounced back for 24 years. So far I haven't had to cut it off from damage.

But since you know more about me than I do, "...all that hair will probably have to be cut off in a few years. Pretty for now though." What day have you picked out for the inevitable shearing? I'd like to know my fate in advance.

That's amazing. I can't imagine the patience it takes to do so much detail on it. How often do you have to re-do it? What's your natural color you're bleaching from?

My henna is time-consuming, but mostly in terms of waiting-- the actual glopping on and rinsing of the henna is so easy. I guess I'll be thankful that it's a fairly straightforward process from here on out, eh? :)
The more elaborate the dye job, the less frequently I dye it. Every three months is how it's been for the past year.

My natural hair color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/2062130376/

My grandmother used to say that I had strawberry blonde hair and a peaches and cream complexion. I thought that was a sweet way of putting it :)

Wow! And she's wearing crazy lenses too! I bet her hair is in terrible condition though, but it looks so striking so I don't care about that part :D
Lenses? Do you mean contact lenses in my eyes? Actually they're edited. Everything I used is in the tags of each individual photo. Also, all the dyes I used on my hair are in the tags. Sometimes the makeup is, too.

"I bet her hair is in terrible condition though..."

Really? How much would you like to bet? Come on over and feel the curls for yourself. I like winning.

jel
February 20th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Hey, welcome to LHC, WiselyChosen!

I've been admiring your hair (and make up) for a while (not in a stalkerish way) - but unfortunately my own hair is relatively easily damaged and would not survive regular bleaching. I really loved your bright red phase, and I can do something similar with temp dye over henna. Hm, I haven't done it in a long time - what am I waiting for? :p

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you have stunning hair, and thanks for sharing its beauty with the world! :D

maria_asa
February 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Hi and welcome WiselyChosen! Your hair is so cool! I'd never do it myself (my hair is damaged really, really easy and I'm way too shy to do something that made me stick out like that) but I really enjoy seeing it on others so thank you.

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM
That's my new goal when I get more grays.
It's a lot of fun if you don't have to bleach your hair first. I hate the bleaching :( I've noticed the Manic Panic dyes I use have conditioning properties for my skin, so it might actually condition hair too. Plus, the dyes wash out so you're not stuck with the colors forever. An important thing if, for example, you discover that a particular hue of hair dye was a very unfortunate idea for you personally. Which I have. Many times.

lilalong
February 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hi WiselyChosen - can I just say, I really love your pug? so cute.

Khiwanean
February 20th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Lenses? Do you mean contact lenses in my eyes? Actually they're edited. Everything I used is in the tags of each individual photo. Also, all the dyes I used on my hair are in the tags. Sometimes the makeup is, too. I also thought they were lenses. I figured you photoshopped some things in your pictures after I browsed through them a while, but I never picked up on the fact that your eyes were. It makes me feel kind of stupid, but I guess it's a testament to your photoshop skills.

I definately love your hair. I don't have the audacity to do anything close to what you've done with yours. You're very lucky you can be that rough with your hair and have it bounce back, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that...

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Striking, but not beautiful on a real person, imo. It's a shame her long hair is so damaged:(
Damaged?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/4135938331/

Damaged?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3531234103/

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm also sorry you don't like the colors --- or was it the curls? --- on a "real person." But since I'm only a series of photos on the internet, I'm not a real person with real feelings, am I? It's not like I'll actually read your comment, will I?

marzipanthecat
February 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM
The colours are so fabulous - I'd love to have hair like that, but I'm really much too lazy to do all the upkeep and care necessary to look that good!

(Also, Beebs the pug is very very cute)

Heavenly Locks
February 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I can honestly say that her hair is amazing :) *swoon* I might never have anything like that for myself but I admire the dedication she had to growing it, caring for all that AND to go so far as to express herself so boldly. It's remarkable, and inspiring.

:flower:

(and it reminds me of my little ponies, which I also love. ;) )

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I am a big fan of natural hair, and I don&#180;t see the appeal of those lurid colours at all.
That was unnecessary. If you had left that comment on my photo stream I would have blocked you for rudeness. You not only went out of your way to insult me, you insulted everyone else who looks like me.

Elphie
February 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
That's what it's reminding me of, My Little Pony! I knew it was something 80's!

Awesome colors and it looks really shiny, too! I'd consider that an art, to be able to do that kind of dye work to yourself has to be difficult!

I like her wicked sense of humor about things, too.

Liss
February 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I think the pic with the wings shows incredible health and shine on her hair. I'm guessing that if the hair was in any way unhealthy it would not have survived even close to the number of years it has been coloured.

Thanks for sharing the pics, it has been an interesting thread!

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Wow. That is so beautiful.

I noticed her skin is very fair; maybe she's naturally blonde? If she doesn't need to bleach she might be able to achieve that colour without too much damage.
Natural redhead:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/2087637697/

That bleaches easily in the sun:

But I still have to use chemical bleach to get really vibrant colors. I hate bleaching it :(

rach
February 20th, 2010, 06:10 AM
i love all the colours, red hair ones are awsome too. think also the wave type combined with the length too makes it look impressively stunning also!!!!

"sigh"

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Her hair isn't bleached. She is a natural blonde (I THINK, here is one of her oldest photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/2070466519/in/set-72157603291243677/). If you look through her albums her olllldest picture of her, she has blond curly hair.

:P She has had that crazy gorgeous long hair for years, and it doesn't look very damaged to me at all.

:redgrin: This woman is my hero. She's 32, and I can only DREAM of doing crazy awesome things like that past the "socially acceptable age" of doing so.
Actually my hair had been bleached blonde in that picture. A hair stylist did it for me when I asked her to make the length of my hair match my roots which had been bleached blonde by sun exposure. I wanted her to remove the last of the henna and she somehow gave my hair a slightly green tint. Like, chlorine green. I had to wear a hat for about a week until my hair recovered. I never let a hair stylist touch my hair again.

Odd fact about that photo: I'd come from a job interview (for a receptionist position at a hair salon) and my hair was wrecked by the humidity, turning my curls into out of control frizz. I did not get the job.

morguebabe
February 20th, 2010, 06:37 AM

You don't know that. Lots of us, ok well not lots, but some of us here bleach to put color in it...and it's not 'damaged',.

Sammich
February 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hey, I just want to say I absolutely love your curls and they do not look damaged to me. :) They look very soft and you're so my inspiration. :D
May I ask how long is your hair now?
I would never have the guts to dye my hair like that though, so kudos to you. :cheese: I'll probably do similar but... :)

Silver Strands
February 20th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Love your hair! The color, length and texture.
From looking at your Flickr page and reading your responses on here you seem to be a unique and strong young woman.

Thanks for sharing and Welcome!

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
quote=Calista;981972]I am a big fan of natural hair, and I donīt see the appeal of those lurid colours at all.

same here. :?

actually IMHO I think it's hidious. (please don't all gang up on me for saying that!):hatchet:[[/QUOTE]
I think going out of your way to comment that my appearance is "hideous" an inconsiderate thing to do. There are better ways to express your opinion. Many people here have respectfully disagreed with my choices and I appreciate the way they went about it.

Heidi_234
February 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
WiselyChosen, I'm so glad to see you have joined!
Welcome! :gabigrin: Hope you like it here and stick around.

FallenAngel
February 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
:agape:

I'm so utterly jealous!!

nowxisxforever
February 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
The more elaborate the dye job, the less frequently I dye it. Every three months is how it's been for the past year.

My natural hair color:

My grandmother used to say that I had strawberry blonde hair and a peaches and cream complexion. I thought that was a sweet way of putting it :)

Ahhh what a cute picture! and a lovely hair color, too. Three months isn't too bad, I suppose!

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hey, I just want to say I absolutely love your curls and they do not look damaged to me. :) They look very soft and you're so my inspiration. :D
May I ask how long is your hair now?
I would never have the guts to dye my hair like that though, so kudos to you. :cheese: I'll probably do similar but... :)
Thank you :)

46" as of right now, but I think in reality it might be longer. I need to measure it when it is wet because that's the only time it hangs down straight. I've only measured it from my front hairline, over my head and down my back, twice in my life. First in December when I started here, and now today. Both times I was fighting to pull down the curls, but they go lower than I can comfortably reach. I may have to ask my husband to measure it for me after I wash my hair.

It grows very predictably. Slightly over half an inch per month. So I guess it's still growing because it measured 45" in December.

Ahhh what a cute picture! and a lovely hair color, too. Three months isn't too bad, I suppose!

I wish I could redo it every two weeks! I hate seeing the root growth :( But it takes more time than I have to give.

rags
February 20th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Perhaps people are assuming it must be damaged because of their own hair type? I know were I to do that with my hair it would break off very short after about the third application of bleach (ask me how I know! :rolleyes:). That said, my daughter bleaches and dyes her hair rainbow shades constantly and her hair is doing just fine. Everyone's hair reacts differently.

I think your hair is beautiful and your photos extremely artistic!

slz
February 20th, 2010, 07:57 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG ......

...... a PUG !!!!

*off to read the thread now* :D

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Where are my manners? I should say thank you to everyone who's been so nice! Thank you for the warm welcome :D

PiroskaCicu
February 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Wow. That is just amazing. So vibrant and beautiful! I wish I had the patience and time to do that! :)

Tovah
February 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
[. I think the photos when it was auburn were so much nicer.

The rainbow colors are too artificial looking for my taste.

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM
[. I think the photos when it was auburn were so much nicer.

The rainbow colors are too artificial looking for my taste.
"...I think the photos when it was auburn were so much nicer."

Is a much more thoughtful way of expressing your opinion than calling my hair hideous. The auburn was Surya Henna Cream in Red over my naturally strawberry blonde hair.

chopandchange
February 20th, 2010, 08:17 AM
:eek:

Not my cup of tea, personally.

Silver Strands
February 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
She didn't come here looking for our approval.

Please remember "KNIT"
Is it Kind?
Is is Necessary?
Is it Informative?
Is it Truthful? (Opinion may be truthful to you but it's still your opinion.)

I would love to hear about your routine, products you use, etc. Wisely Chosen.
It's obvious you've managed to grow your hair to very long lengths and you change colors.

So, do you Conditon Only wash, how often, etc.

Tovah
February 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
"...I think the photos when it was auburn were so much nicer."

Is a much more thoughtful way of expressing your opinion than calling my hair hideous. The auburn was Surya Henna Cream in Red over my naturally strawberry blonde hair.

That was a mistaken quote, I apologize. I was responding to someone else who called it hideous. But it came out as my own post. That's why I corrected it. I'm sure the original poster didn't mean to offend you personally.

NiAosSi
February 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Yes, please; some people are being so nasty. She's now a member of this community please be courteous. Even if she wasn't this part of the board is public (I believe).

Please remember "KNIT"
Is it Kind?
Is is Necessary?
Is it Informative?

It's obvious you've managed to grow your hair to very long lengths and you change colors.

amoulixes
February 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Guess no one knew that she actually joined the site late 2009, even if she's not a frequent poster. I really can't believe some of the comments that have been made.

"Real" or "artificial" (What shade of cotton candy pink or green, for crying out loud, is going to resemble a "real" hair color??), the ability to do all of that work, and come out with such vibrant colors that don't run all into a big mess is amazing!

Arriens
February 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Damaged?
Damaged?
Due to these pictures, I assumed at first that it was fake. I mean, it looked so great. ;)

PiroskaCicu
February 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
WiselyChosen, I too am curious about your hair care routine.

Please, share with us, if you can.

Arctic
February 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Welcome WiselyChosen! I am Silver Lode at Flickr and have been admiring your hair since one of our members pointed it out in her blog (you are her hair idol!). I also Love your pug and think you are a very good person for giving her a new life and opportunity to move around! Hope you like LHC!!!

Capybara
February 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Wow, that is some amazing hair!
I don't think I'd be brave enough to do that though :o

embee
February 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
A belated welcome to LHC. :)

Your colorful hair is not something I would do in my life, but it looks happy! I often thought little girls with beads in their hair were *so* cute, and your rainbow hair makes me smile. Perhaps if I were young I could get away with it, but at this time of my life I 'spect people would think I'd lost my mind! :D

I'm with you on hating photos; my aversion started in childhood - my dad loved taking pictures and he wasn't very good with the camera and lighting so there were many unfortunate shots. As I result I became extremely selfconscious and shy about it.

nowxisxforever
February 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Yes, please; some people are being so nasty. She's now a member of this community please be courteous. Even if she wasn't this part of the board is public (I believe).

It really is astonishing, isn't it? Even if she wasn't, and even if this part of the board wasn't public-- LHC is generally not a nasty place. It's a warm, welcoming, accepting place. Something may not be your thing, but there's no reason to be nasty about it-- that's no different than the 'friends and family' that tell us our hair looks horrible and that it would look better if we cut it to, oh, say, about the same length as theirs.

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Please remember "KNIT"
Is it Kind?
Is is Necessary?
Is it Informative?

I'm supposed to wash my hair every three days (Head & Shoulders, because without it my scalp itches -- sorry if that's too much information) but lately it's probably only once a week (again, maybe too much information there). I couldn't get a comb or brush through it to save my life, so I use my fingers to gently work out the tangles when it's wet and slathered in conditioner. I like Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship. I just leave it in my hair. All the time. It's my styling product. I don't use a hairdryer because it makes my hair frizz, so I let it air dry.

If I have time, I form finger curls and my hair holds them indefinitely since that's what it naturally wants to do. If I have at least an hour I do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/4165211933/

Resulting in a zillion bouncy springs that hold their shape forever and ever. I can't emphasize enough how ridiculously springy they get :)

Unfortunately I don't always have the time for that, so I pull it back into a knot. It holds the knot shape all by itself. If I want extra security I put a France Luxe hair stick through it.

You can always tell when I've been wearing it in a knot instead of letting it curl because as soon as I take it down it frizzes wildly (which is really just every individual hair forming its own curl instead of sticking with its neighbors and forming cooperative ringlets). Without structure, it's curl anarchy.

So that's about it as far as my routine.

Heidi_234
February 20th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Itchy scalps and washing infrequently are easily the most popular subjects around here. You can't stun anybody with those. :lol:

rach
February 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I couldn't get a comb or brush through it to save my life, so I use my fingers to gently work out the tangles when it's wet and slathered in conditioner. I like Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship. I just leave it in my hair. All the time. It's my styling product. I don't use a hairdryer because it makes my hair frizz, so I let it air dry.
finger combing is pretty common here.
leaving in conditioner like this i must give a try? :ponder:
I love the effect it does on your hair.

do you have your hair down most of the time?

Silver Strands
February 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I love the straw curlers. What a great idea!

There are many people on here that have dandruff issues.

I love that you use drugstore products, sulfates and cones on your hair. And that you use the same conditioner as a leave in rather than fussing with oils, etc.
Simple and easy.
It definitely works for you so I wouldn't change a thing.

Your hair looks to be classic length or even thigh.
How long have you worn it long and are you planning on growing longer or maintaining at this length?

oceanwoman111
February 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Wow! That is stunning. It's surreal, like she stepped out of a Fantasy novel or something. I would love to have something that unique, but I would be afraid of the maintenance. :hmm:

Keildra
February 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I did the rainbow thing one time with the spray on stuff that comes out around Halloween. It took three days to wash out which was bad for me because my school frowned on stuff like that. I have a low tolerance for pain, so I don't think i could handle the bleaching described. I must admit I did think the eyes were contacts, I didn't know photoshop could do stuff like that OH the things I learn.

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 10:02 AM
finger combing is pretty common here.
leaving in conditioner like this i must give a try? :ponder:
I love the effect it does on your hair.

do you have your hair down most of the time?
I have it tied in a knot most of the time because otherwise it gets in harm's way. Exceptions would be when I have a headache, when I'm cold, when I need to protect my skin from the sun. It's been stood on and sat on by myself and others so many times that I've gotten kind of overprotective of it.

I love the straw curlers. What a great idea!

There are many people on here that have dandruff issues.

I love that you use drugstore products, sulfates and cones on your hair. And that you use the same conditioner as a leave in rather than fussing with oils, etc.
Simple and easy.
It definitely works for you so I wouldn't change a thing.

Your hair looks to be classic length or even thigh.
How long have you worn it long and are you planning on growing longer or maintaining at this length?
This is the longest it's ever been, I've worn it long most of my life. I've been growing it out since I shaved it all off in October of 1997. In case you're wondering, there were a lot of reasons why I shaved it off. Mostly I just wanted to see what would happen. It was one of the ultimate forbidden things to do. Afterward it looked like I'd killed Goldilocks and stuffed her in the garbage. I go into it at more depth here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3172854329/

I'm not planning on cutting it ever again. I'm curious to see how long it will get.

I bite off split ends when I find them, though. I actually go looking for individual split hairs and bite them off. Some people bite their fingernails, I meditatively sort through my hair and bite off any strands that have a split end. Doesn't qualify as a haircut in my mind. More of a hand to mouth habit like biting your fingernails or smoking.

FallenAngel
February 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
WiselyChosen - you have my dreamhair!! Congratulation, and thanks for making our world a beautiful place. Gorgeous!! LOVE the red in the last link.

Liss
February 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I bite off split ends when I find them, though. I actually go looking for individual split hairs and bite them off. Some people bite their fingernails, I meditatively sort through my hair and bite off any strands that have a split end. Doesn't qualify as a haircut in my mind. More of a hand to mouth habit like biting your fingernails or smoking.

You bite off your split ends??!!!!!

I'm sure I'm not the onnly one who'se thinking "Aaarrgggghhh"!!!

Wavelength
February 20th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry you're creeped out by my face. Sometimes I deliberately edit my self-portraits to make myself look like a doll. For me, photo manipulations are a technically challenging art form. I wouldn't expect you to believe I have wings just because you saw photos of me that looked like I had them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3335127362/

If you want candid photos of me taken by other people while I was frizzed out, overheated and nearly burnt to a crisp in the DC heat of August, there are plenty here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/galleries/72157622276101703/

Also, the reason I usually have no expression on my face is because I hate having my picture taken. I did the 365 Days challenge on Flickr (where you take a self-portrait everyday for a year) to try and get over it. The result was that I hated having my picture taken even more and vowed never to do 365 Days again. So that blank expression of mine that creeps you out is me trying to disconnect from the discomfort of taking my own picture. But what else can I do? No one will model for me. So if I want to practice photo manipulations on a person, I am the guinea pig.

First off, welcome to the boards! :flowers:

Thanks for the explanation and for not being offended by my opinion. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I did check out some of your other photos later on and I didn't have the same "creeped-out" feeling with those. The one with you standing in front of the big pink bush, looking mildly annoyed, I actually liked quite a bit.

My husband is an amateur photographer as well and he was explaining some of the techniques and effects he thought you might be using. Now I can show him this thread and see if he was right.

Welcome again, and thanks for being so gracious about my initial negative response. I hope you'll be happy on LHC! :)

Sammich
February 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM

LOL! I actually do this too, I bite my split ends off in school since there are no sharp scissors nearby. I take my time and use full strength... :D Shh. :eyebrows:
I am ze master of biting my fingernails afterall. :eyebrows:

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
LOL! I actually do this too, I bite my split ends off in school since there are no sharp scissors nearby. I take my time and use full strength... :D Shh. :eyebrows:
That's why I do it, too! No scissors!

Wavelength
February 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
WiselyChosen, did you ever dye your hair one solid bright colour (i.e. green, blue, pink) before you went with the rainbow?

We have a member here who dyed her long hair a gorgeous purple colour for years, but recently she had to re-colour it back to her natural brown because she's going back to school to train as a medical technician, and the school insists on a "professional" appearance. At least they didn't make her cut it too, but it was a shame.

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM
WiselyChosen, did you ever dye your hair one solid bright colour (i.e. green, blue, pink) before you went with the rainbow?

We have a member here who dyed her long hair a gorgeous purple colour for years, but recently she had to re-colour it back to her natural brown because she's going back to school to train as a medical technician, and the school insists on a "professional" appearance. At least they didn't make her cut it too, but it was a shame.
Yes, but I don't stick with any color for very long. Pink was my favorite :) Red and blonde were the colors I dyed it for work. Mostly henna red.

Gumball
February 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
That's crazy neat! You not only seem adventurous but you have the patience and dedication to pull it off! It's like a kaleidoscope!

halo_tightens
February 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Well hello, WiselyChosen! I didn't know you were a member here!

Now I can say it again TO you-- it's just so... pretty! :D

slz
February 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Hehehe I do it, too. Since at times when I actually feel like doing it I never have no scissors at hand, so there.

For a while 2 years ago I toyed with the idea of bright colours, but was too chicken in the end - scared to damage my hair, that is. Now I couldn't since I changed my field of work (teacher, in a catholic school, no less :D ).

But still my preference in your pics, Wiselychosen, goes to Beebs - we have a handicapped old lady pug, too (a few pics in my albums - no stroller for her since her front doesn't work,neither).

edited just to add : I think the reason why different bright colours works so well on you is you very white complexion. Makes for a great match.

RavennaNight
February 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Oh wow I have been with my nose in the Blogs too much! WiselyChosen you have such a gorgeous unique head of hair! I love it! I hope you will share your secrets with the community as to how you do this without damaging it, or only minimally damaging it.:flower: I am sure there are plenty of folks here who want to go bold and are afraid of the damage they think will happen. What a great addition to the boards! Welcome Welcome:)

Liss
February 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM

That's why I do it, too! No scissors!

Hehehe I do it, too. Since at times when I actually feel like doing it I never have no scissors at hand, so there.

Ha ha ha, the confessions are coming out of the woodwork fast!

... wanders off to check if there's a naughty habits thread...

Shorty89
February 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
:thud: I would love to do something like that to my hair, but manic panic sticks. I've used it on my hair and it stays (Bleach or no bleach). I've switched to henna red instead of Vampire red because I hated the bleeding. How long before your colour fades and does it fade completely? Between the bleeding and the permanency of mp for me I decided to stay with one colour.

Demetrue
February 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I've realized that while I love natural, virgin hair, I also love blue hair, purple hair, hennaed hair. I love stuff that is really natural, but I also love stuff that is creative and artistic and expresses someone's personality by taking the natural and making it totally their own. That is why I like no-make up, fresh scrubbed faces but also love red lipstick and black eye-liner, or why I love a natural meadow with everything growing wild but also love a carefully arranged formal garden.

While I don't think I am able to carry off the vividly colored fantasy hair look on myself (my coloring is kind of faded/dusty - dusty blue eyes, dusty beige skin, dusty rose lips, dusty silver and blonde hair) I really enjoy seeing it on others. Thanks for sharing these photos - I think the rainbow hair look is stunning and absolutely gorgeous. It makes me smile and feel happy and inspired just looking at it!

little_cherry
February 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I love it when people are creative like this! The photos are stunning!

Twil
February 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
"This looks nice. I think you would look good with elegant updos! Have you ever straightened your rainbow hair? "

From one of the comments! Any wavy/curly girl probably knows why I cringed at the commment. :rolleyes:

Her hair is wonderful though, it makes me smile

*Aoife*
February 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I didn't realise you were on LHC :D

I seriously love your hair. I would love to have hair like yours except for the damage bleach would do. And my school would kick me out if I turned up with such amazing hair.

If I have time, I form finger curls and my hair holds them indefinitely since that's what it naturally wants to do. If I have at least an hour I do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/4165211933/

Resulting in a zillion bouncy springs that hold their shape forever and ever. I can't emphasize enough how ridiculously springy they get :)

Do you just fingercomb it out while wet and wind it around straws? I would love to do this!

Mearwynna
February 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I love your hair, natural or rainbow! Thanks for posting to us about it. It's amazing that it is so strong and can withstand the dyeing. Mine can't. I'm pretty much stuck with virgin hair if I want it to be nice.

WiselyChosen
February 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
:thud: I would love to do something like that to my hair, but manic panic sticks. I've used it on my hair and it stays (Bleach or no bleach). I've switched to henna red instead of Vampire red because I hated the bleeding. How long before your colour fades and does it fade completely? Between the bleeding and the permanency of mp for me I decided to stay with one colour.
I remember when I used Manic Panic Divine Wine and it bled for weeks. I never used it again.

The colors seem to fade at different rates. The darker colors stick around for months. The lighter colors fade almost immediately for me. Mystic Heather and Cotton Candy Pink only last a week before they fade into something I don't like.

Do you just fingercomb it out while wet and wind it around straws?

Yes, with lots of conditioner on it and I let it air dry :)

*Aoife*
February 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Awsome :) I reckon my hair can handle this. Leave in conditioner and air drying are all part of my MO :D

Shorty89
February 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I remember when I used Manic Panic Divine Wine and it bled for weeks. I never used it again.

The colors seem to fade at different rates. The darker colors stick around for months. The lighter colors fade almost immediately for me. Mystic Heather and Cotton Candy Pink only last a week before they fade into something I don't like.
I used Vampire red, Deadly Nightshade, Aftermidnight Blue and purple haze. They all faded a bit but never completely. I'd use blues/reds/purples if I did streaks myself, but I don't think I can stand any more bleeding. Any and all non-perminant dyes bleed like crazy on me.

GuinevereMay
February 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I showed the pictures to my husband and he thought your hair looks awesome (which kind of surprises me; I wish he had the same enthusiasm for my tattoos.)

I wish my hair could handle it, since I've been known in my younger years to sport pink or blue hair. I've noticed my hair is much healthier if I just leave it alone, though, so no rainbow hair for me.

It looks stunning on you, though, Wisely Chosen.

Jorchet
February 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I have to say it again! I love your hair! The length, the texture and how colourful you make it! I'm in love with your hair! :cloud9: lol

Faepirate
February 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
:bigeyes: I must try the drinking straw + conditioner curling thing! I wonder if curls like that would stick in my hair? *ponder* I need to get me some straws :D

Love the rainbow! Your hair is so happy. But the curls are SO awesome. I think I like the curls even better than the colours.

kwaniesiam
February 20th, 2010, 03:58 PM
:thud: That hair is absolutely amazing! It definite reminds me of Rainbow Brite :D

And to everyone who's saying things about damage, it is possible to just bleach it once. We have plenty of members who use chemical color and their hair is no worse off because of it. It's the repeated full length treatments that cause damage.

ravenreed
February 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I feel much the same.

I've realized that while I love natural, virgin hair, I also love blue hair, purple hair, hennaed hair. I love stuff that is really natural, but I also love stuff that is creative and artistic and expresses someone's personality by taking the natural and making it totally their own. That is why I like no-make up, fresh scrubbed faces but also love red lipstick and black eye-liner, or why I love a natural meadow with everything growing wild but also love a carefully arranged formal garden.

snippy snip

SimplyViki
February 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Eeee! :D I'm happy you've joined, Wisely Chosen. Your colors are not ones I would choose on my own head, but I've admired them on yours. I think you pull it off quite well.

ETA: OK, I'm an idiot. :doh: Didn't realize you'd joined before, I just got excited when I first saw you posting on the thread. :o That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before I post (or checking the join date... though, to be fair, your hair colors are a bit more eye catching than the text underneath).

Juanita
February 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
My daughter would love your hair as she loves rainbows and pink. Shes 25. Her current job doesn't allow her to colour with unnatural colours. When I was a lot younger I used to bleach my hair and use Majic Silver white which gave a beautiful purple colour and Majic silver Rose which gave a beautiful pink colour. My boss loved it. I'm talking more than 20 years ago. I haven't seen the Majic Silver stuff for years now. I love creative hair colours on people and make a point of complimenting them if appropriate.

Wicked Princess
February 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I said it on your profile page, but I think you might have hundreds of fan-messages by the time you can view them! :o :D I love your hair!

You mentioned that you wear your hair in a knot a fair amount of the time, and I'm surprised I hadn't seen anyone mention this earlier: IT MUST LOOK SO COOL UP! Especially when you have all those streaks of color! I might be haunting your Flickr page this afternoon. :D

Loviatar
February 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
everyone who's saying things about damage, it is possible to just bleach it once. We have plenty of members who use chemical color and their hair is no worse off because of it. It's the repeated full length treatments that cause damage.

This, this, this. Totally. Think about gals like Justgreen who lighten and still have incredible lengths. My sister bleaches and never conditions, although she uses a coney shampoo, and she has nearly tailbone length hair. And Manic Panic/SFX is a pretty gentle dye IMO, maybe it does a little bit of repair on the bleached parts. WiselyChosen's hair is at least waist length, she must be doing something right; it can't be damaged particularly or it wouldn't have got that long, surely?

WiselyChosen: Personally, I would drop IQ points to have hair like yours ;) It's amazing. I've seen your flickr before, but didnt know you were a member here. Welcome :)

Fiferstone
February 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hi WiselyChosen, welcome to LHC :flowers:. I think your hair is absolutely gorgeous, I also love your bird photos. I'm envious of anyone who can make a camera capture what they see. Whenever I try, the image is flat and lifeless, NEVER what I saw. Kudos to you for helping us to see beauty in both your extraordinary rainbow-hued creations, and in simple every day things that many people don't even notice. It's too bad some people have chosen to express their opinions in ways that are less than the kind, considerate norm that usually obtains here. (And if they cannot see the beauty in what you do, then it's their loss). You are obviously a very creative person. My hair is not my natural mousy brown color either. I think my henna red suits me much better. Again, welcome :).

zift
February 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Wow that's some amazing hair! I've henndigoed my very long hair for a while and knowing how much work that needs I think I will just bow in awe before you for the effort you take to maintain those colors.
Since we find such an experienced dyer here I'd like to ask some questions if you don't mind.
They say manic panic will stick in dry/damaged hair and be permenant, have you experienced such a thing?
How much does the colors last?
Have you tried it on your virgin color without bleach and do you think I have a chance with brunette hair?

lacereza
February 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I love how the streaks look in your curly hair. Although this rainbow effect can also look great in straight hair, I think you can get away with more colours because of the curl -- seems to keep each of the colours more separate than would be the case if someone with hair like mine did it.

GlassEyes
February 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I love how the streaks look in your curly hair. Although this rainbow effect can also look great in straight hair, I think you can get away with more colours because of the curl -- seems to keep each of the colours more separate than would be the case if someone with hair like mine did it.
Actually, there is a photo online that was popular a while back of a girl with straight hair with multicolored dyes. They were mostly cool toned greens, blues, and purples with a shock of hot magenta, if I remember correctly. It looked really cool.

I am -so- lucky I can't afford the upkeep anymore. Screw bleaching two strands. *_*

BlackfootHair
February 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I especially like the pic in your avatar. All the pretty colors. :) I like the blues, aquas, pinks and purples. I personally don't care for the green, but that's just me. Not like it's my head. lol Kudos for handling some of the ruder comments earlier with grace. :)

Nae
February 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM
:flower:Heart-stoppingly, fantastically beautiful hair!! Thank you for all the work you put into your hair, it makes the world a little brighter and more joyful.

Aero
February 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Well, I'm glad somebody did it. Reminds me of Audrey Kitching.

caribou55313
February 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Love not only your hair, Wisely Chosen, but the rest of your photos (the cupcakes! the birds! the pug and chinchilla!) and your hilarious commentary. You've made me smile a dozen times tonight!

Lorien
February 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
WiselyChosen you've made fantasy come to life :)

Do you know if the dye brand works on grays without bleaching?

GlassEyes
February 20th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Most unnatural dyes are deposit-only, so things like Manic Panic and Special effects will take to gray just fine. The issues with coloring gray come with permanency, I think. More specifically, there's no melanin for peroxide to take to, so conventional dyes fail, but deposit-only should be fine.

paperwhite
February 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I've got to say I'm more than a little envious of WiselyChosen's hair. I never had the opportunity to do anything outside of the norm with my hair (extra-curricular activities with dress codes, then college and work prohibited it). It looks like I'm going to have to wait until a time in my life when I don't have anyone to answer to before I can really start playing with colors. It's probably for the best, my hair can only stand a few dye jobs before the damage becomes really apparent :/

Anyway, now I have a good reason to log on to Flickr more often, I can't wait to see more pictures :) Yay for living vicariously through someone else's experiences with awesome colors! :D

Misery
February 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Awesome.:D

Lorien
February 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Most unnatural dyes are deposit-only, so things like Manic Panic and Special effects will take to gray just fine. The issues with coloring gray come with permanency, I think. More specifically, there's no melanin for peroxide to take to, so conventional dyes fail, but deposit-only should be fine.

Thank you :)

Ally<3
February 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Do the colours run together as she washes I wonder?

Tarja Sky
February 21st, 2010, 02:49 AM
I really like the length and the condition of your hair! I admire people like you who are not affraid too colour outside the lines... You have very beautiful hair and a lot of personality!

alwayssmiling
February 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hi WiselyChosen,

When I saw your pictures I just thought "wow". Then I looked at some more of your pics and thought "wow" to them all. I guess its because you have very striking looks and could actually pull off any style or colour, and still look amazing. (I bet you even looked stunning when you shaved it all off - right? :))

Your pictures have fascinated me because you have managed to bleach and colour your hair and still have long, healthy looking hair :eek:. As a reformed bleacher and colourer I would never be able to get my hair below shoulder length - seriously, I had not choices to cut it to short bob as I had the most awful chemical hair cut on just one side of my head :(.

I guess it must be the leave in conditioner you are using that enables you to do this, or perhaps you have naturally strong hair. You give me hope that I can colour again. Hope you keep posting.

PurpleAshes
February 21st, 2010, 08:22 AM
WiselyChosen, I see you mentioned you leave your conditioner as a leave-in, and I was wondering, how do you stand the slipperiness?
I've tried it before and while I loved the results, slippery hair drives me nuts. I only have shoulder length hair (when dry) and I imagine I couldn't do it if I had hair as long as yours.

kwaniesiam
February 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM
WiselyChosen you've made fantasy come to life :)

Do you know if the dye brand works on grays without bleaching?

They'll stain just fine, but they might not last as long as on bleached hair.

WiselyChosen
February 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
I bet you even looked stunning when you shaved it all off - right? :)

No, not at all. Unless you consider a plucked chicken to be stunning, because that's what I looked like. I definitely do not have the features to pull it off and I look better with hair, the longer the better. I need the weight to pull the curls down. That's also part of the reason I need so much conditioner.

WiselyChosen, I see you mentioned you leave your conditioner as a leave-in, and I was wondering, how do you stand the slipperiness?
I've tried it before and while I loved the results, slippery hair drives me nuts. I only have shoulder length hair (when dry) and I imagine I couldn't do it if I had hair as long as yours.

Slipperiness? I haven't noticed any slipperiness. Except when it's wet. When it's dry there's no slipperiness for me at all.

No, that's not been a problem for me. But I remember one guy mentioning last year that he had problems with purple and blue, so maybe it depends on each individual's hair?

masnmab
February 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
Wisely Chosen you have fantastic hair! What a unique and beautiful look.

Bunnicula
February 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM

I used to dye my hair blue on top and pink underneath like my avatar and the colors would run together in the middle after a few washes. However, they blended into really awesome greens and purples like a rainbow so I thought it looked awesome anyway.

Wisely Chosen, I just want to jump on the bandwagon and tell you how much I love your hair. I wish I could keep up fun colors like you did :crush:

lora410
February 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Regardless of all the comments and whatnot I think the hair is AMAZING. I myself would love purple hair but will settle for henndigo :) As the saying goes to each his own and don't judge others :D It is not our job to comment on damage. The orignal post was just about the colors. Now people have offended an actual memeber of our community. I hope we all learn not to judge but just admire :flower:

Qamar
February 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous! *thud*

The bleaching is going to do her hair in in the long run though. My daughter dyes her hair all the time with various shades of Manic Panic, and while the the dye is deposit only and gentle, the bleaching required ruined her hair. She ended up cutting from hip to BSL.

WiselyChosen
February 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
They say manic panic will stick in dry/damaged hair and be permenant, have you experienced such a thing?
Have you tried it on your virgin color without bleach and do you think I have a chance with brunette hair?

Manic Panic has never been permanent for me. The darker colors are still there after three months, but they are kind of drab and dull after that much time. The lighter colors don't last as long in my hair. Cotton Candy Pink and Mystic Heather fade in a week :(

Since we're on the subject, no hair dye of any kind has ever been permanent for me.

I've used Manic Panic without bleaching my hair first. It works just fine, but doesn't last as long as when I bleach first. When my hair was its natural strawberry blonde the MP colors were more similar to how they looked in the jar. When my hair was flaming henna red, the colors were more like highlights (Purple Haze was the color of black cherries, Pretty Flamingo didn't really show up at all). Without beaching my hair first, the colors were washed away in a month. Henna has always had more staying power, no matter what kind I used.

But that's just me. Everyone's hair is different.

If I were a brunette and experimenting with Manic Panic I'd try the darkest colors they have and do strand tests with them. I've also bleached and dyed small portions of my hair without touching the rest. For years I was henna red with Manic Panic colors in the front.

The bleaching is going to do her hair in in the long run though. My daughter dyes her hair all the time with various shades of Manic Panic, and while the the dye is deposit only and gentle, the bleaching required ruined her hair. She ended up cutting from hip to BSL.

I'm sorry bleach did your daughter's hair in. I've been treating my hair with harsh chemicals for 24 years and it's never done my hair in. I appreciate your concern, but please don't assume that my hair is like your daughter's. Each individual is unique. You do not know more about my hair than I do.

akka naeda
February 21st, 2010, 10:05 AM

I do have brunette hair :)

When I had rainbow streaks (and this includes a large chunk of underlayer hair at the back of my head, a bit wider than the average "streak"!) I tried without bleach and the colour
a) wasn't very visible and
b) came off almost immediately - I'd end up with purple/blue/green/pink/red pillows.
In fact I have the same problem with my white hairs now - the colour doesn't stick to them anything like as well as it did to the bleached hair.
My hair used to be very dry and strawlike, now it isn't.

On bleached hair, the darker colours lasted best (a couple of months, but faded gradually; the longest lasting was a dark purple) and the paler ones lasted a couple of weeks.

Gypsy
February 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
I have a hair crush, now, lol!
I wish I could have rainbow hair.
My dark resistant hair just makes bleaching too much work for lazy me- I used to do double process color (and my hair requires 40 volume developer- ugh.) all the time but at this stage, I just don't have the motivation to do it or manage the upkeep.
I think I would be the awesomest person around if I had rainbow hair- no one could convince me otherwise, ha ha!!

BTW: Wiselychosen, I see on your page your hometown is my neck of the woods (well, I'm in Marysville now, but lived in So. King county most of my life until I moved up this way 4 years ago.

Fractalsofhair
February 21st, 2010, 11:25 AM
That is seriously awesome that you're a member here! Welcome! It also rocks that you don't get much if any damage from it. I'd be it has something to do with the fact the colors are often conditioning, so the only damage is the bleach(unlike if a member dyes her hair light blond, then has to use a toner with peroxide on top of high volume bleach.), and you're seriously lucky to have hair that isn't damaged from it or from any other processes you've done in the past!(My hair gets damaged super easily. Using a coney conditioner made my hair break off when I was 10 from thigh to shoulder... Using a 10 volume dye and one month of blowdrying on cool required getting a pixie to get rid of damage/allow my hair to grow.) I've already said I love your hair colors, but it's worth saying again. It's awesome, IMO. It's also really cool that your hair looks/is healthy with the basic drugstore products and such.

I think a lot of people might be worried about the damage because their hair is easily damaged, and then again, not everyone likes unique colors, and many people prefer the look of virgin hair, disliking even normal dyes(And some hair can't even handle normal dyes.). There's this idea that bleach is more damaging than high lift color, which I don't think is quite true in all cases. I'm also guessing you don't rebleach over your hair that has already been bleached?

How did you manage to bleach out henna? That's something that's pretty impressive! What did you do? Did you get it to the bleached out color, or just to a bright orange?

Marz Hase
February 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
Oh my goodness, WiselyChosen, I am in love with your hair! I adore color! And the curls are just gorgeous! *swoon*

freznow
February 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
If I weren't such an absolute lazy pants I would dye my hair. :o I love the colors.

WiselyChosen
February 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM
OK, I just measured it wet for the first time and it's actually 48" from hairline, over and down my back. I had my husband help me. Someone had asked yesterday how long it is now, so I tried to pull the curls straight to measure, but I had a feeling it probably wasn't entirely accurate. I got 46" at that time. Doesn't matter, really. It's so curly that when it dries you'd never know it was that long, anyway.

There are a few hairs that extend further because I don't cut hairs unless they're split, but I'm not counting those in the measurement. My husband insists that it technically goes further than 50" but I don't feel that would be an entirely honest measurement since it's just a tiny little wisp.

RoseRedDead
February 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM
You've got some seriously cool hair. :flowers: I'm so lazy, I would never put all that effort in it, lol.

RancheroTheBee
February 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
*girlish squeal*

Oh, WOW. RAINBOWS. :grin:

Completely lovely. It looks like it takes a lot of planning to do correctly.

Noctifer
February 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Such a beautiful.

I would like to have it but would never dare and my hair would be fried i think

GlassEyes
February 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Uh.

I just realized that a bunch of us, including me, have been commenting on your profile, and I'm -not- entirely sure you can respond or even read them yet. XD Sorry.

Elenna
February 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM
I was amazed when I saw your photos on Flickr.

.... I don't use a hairdryer because it makes my hair frizz, so I let it air dry.... You can always tell when I've been wearing it in a knot instead of letting it curl because as soon as I take it down it frizzes wildly (which is really just every individual hair forming its own curl instead of sticking with its neighbors and forming cooperative ringlets). Without structure, it's curl anarchy.

I'm imagining a cloud of rainbow colored hair. It is a very beautiful image.

Love not only your hair, Wisely Chosen, but the rest of your photos (the cupcakes! the birds! the pug and chinchilla!) and your hilarious commentary. You've made me smile a dozen times tonight!

I just loved your Pug who requires a bit of help. AND the costumes are so cute. You are very creative and rainbowly (i.e., very colorful).

Heidi_234
February 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Although I personally wouldn't mind more slip, still, maybe you could try a different conditioner? Is the one you used packed with cones? I leave in my thickest conditioner after washing and my hair is not that slippery at all. It got one cone, but very low in the list, and it doesn't seem to even build up.

WiselyChosen
February 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm also guessing you don't rebleach over your hair that has already been bleached?

How did you manage to bleach out henna? That's something that's pretty impressive! What did you do? Did you get it to the bleached out color, or just to a bright orange?

I don't usually bleach the full length of my hair. I only bleach the parts that are darker than the color I'm planning to apply over it. I've bleached my entire head of hair only four times in my life that I can think of as I type this.

As far as bleaching out the henna myself, there were some stubborn bright orange places initially, but I was only bleaching it until it was light enough to be covered by pink, so there was no need for all of my hair to be completely white.

I use Manic Panic Flash Lightning 30 vol., but I'm very careful with the stuff because I've run into a bad batch more than once. When I say bad I mean it was super high concentrated for no reason and without any warning. I've also read complaints from people who said it didn't bleach their hair at all.

LaurelSpring
February 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
I find your creativity inspiring! I am loving this thread.

julya
February 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
I love your hair! It is so lovely! I went through a bunch of your pug photos, and I am so impressed with your love for your pug.

Fractalsofhair
February 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
WiselyChosen-That makes sense about the repeated bleachings. That also is really interesting to know about the difference between batches with manic panic. That's also good to know about henna. A lot of members have a hard time getting rid of it.

Gemma
February 21st, 2010, 05:11 PM
I love your hair, WiselyChosen! :flower: I used to dye my hair all kinds of bright colours up until a few years ago but I never tried more than 2 at once. Now I wish I had!

LadyJennifer
February 21st, 2010, 06:09 PM
You don't know that. Lots of us, ok well not lots, but some of us here bleach to put color in it...and it's not 'damaged',.
Bleach damages, period. It may not be *really* damaged, but still some.
I just stated my opinion. I'm just a fan of naturalness, earth tones and such. I don't even usually care for those bright colors in other application (save flowers, etc).
I didn't know she was a member though, or I'd have kept my opinions to myself.

chargersfan
February 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Beautiful hair & beautiful pictures. :)

LadyJennifer
February 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Damaged?

Damaged?

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm also sorry you don't like the colors --- or was it the curls? --- on a "real person." But since I'm only a series of photos on the internet, I'm not a real person with real feelings, am I? It's not like I'll actually read your comment, will I?

I'm sorry but it still looks damaged to me. I'm not trying to be rude, I personally cannot imagine treating my hair that way - that's fine if you want to, I'm not saying you're wrong for that. Everyone is different.
Honestly, I did not think you would read it. I assumed it was some random photo everyone was commenting on.
And what I mean by "real person" is I don't think those colors look good on any person's hair - as opposed to on a flower, or painting of scenery or something.
Why would I not like curls? I love curls and am happy to own a few:)

You are embracing your uniqueness and that's wonderful, but please understand that other people are unique too and have very different opinions than you. I don't think anyone was trying to be rude to you.

SimplyViki
February 21st, 2010, 06:42 PM
I think this thread may serve as a good reminder to all of us to be mindful of the things we say about others, even if we expect we'll never encounter them in our life. Even if it was some random photo off the internet (for all practical purposes, that's what it was when the OP started the thread), there was clearly a real person in the photo, and however unlikely it may seem, any real person from any photo off the internet may just show up here one day to see what unkind things have been said about them.

Tovah
February 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I really think we have beaten this 'rudeness' issue to death.
It's starting to get uncomfortable.

Can we just drop it now?

WiselyChosen
February 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry but it still looks damaged to me. I'm not trying to be rude, I personally cannot imagine treating my hair that way - that's fine if you want to, I'm not saying you're wrong for that. Everyone is different.
Honestly, I did not think you would read it. I assumed it was some random photo everyone was commenting on.
And what I mean by "real person" is I don't think those colors look good on any person's hair - as opposed to on a flower, or painting of scenery or something.
Why would I not like curls? I love curls and am happy to own a few:)

You are embracing your uniqueness and that's wonderful, but please understand that other people are unique too and have very different opinions than you. I don't think anyone was trying to be rude to you.
Well then you have a natural gift for rudeness. You manage it without even trying. Thank you for making me cry. Thank you for putting me down. I'm so sorry you don't like me. Please remember that I did not submit my photos to you for your approval. Someone else did. Please also remember that this forum is public and everyone can trace their activity straight back here, as I did with my own photos. Even if someone isn't a member here, when you comment on a photo that's been linked to in a thread here, that comment can be read by the owner of the photo. You are actually commenting directly to them. Claiming ignorance of that fact does not justify your behavior. If you felt I was too fat and expressed the opinion that you just don't think that much weight looks good on a person would that be OK? After all, you're just expressing your opinion.

Please don't comment on my photos ever again. Don't direct any comments to me. Just leave me alone.

I can't believe this is supposed to be a compassionate, supportive forum when people are allowed to leave comments like you have.

SilverLocks
February 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Time for a :chillpill: and :cheese: or is it :cheese: and :chillpill: :silly: ?

For all concerned, a break for awhile. :flower:

ETA:
This thread has been closed because of its contentiousness.
Here at LHC we support discussions and people stating their positive and critical opinions. We do not exclude people of either opinion from threads, everyone is allowed to participate. As long as it is done respectfully there is nothing wrong with mentioning concerns regarding damage or admitting preferences towards natural hair.

Please respect each other and gracefully allow the coin to have two sides.