PDA

View Full Version : My friend wants to flat iron my hair

coscass
February 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
She wants to flat iron it when she comes over. I said no way, jose. Then she asked if she could curl it (it's already curly, hello?). She's coming over so I can do some cute styles on her because she's like hair-illiterate, and then was like, "well can I do your hair, too?"

She can't braid, or do buns, and I think a rollerset would be too hard of work for her because my hair is very long (plus she doesn't know how).

She's begging me to let her put a hot tool to my head, and I keep saying no. Is there ANYTHING this girl can do after I've messed with her hair, or is she just going to have to take no for an answer?

amaiaisabella
February 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I would either ask her to comb it out for you, or brush it. I find that someone else detangling and smoothing out my hair is very relaxing. :)

Nightshade
February 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
What if you had her practice one if the buns or braids you just taught her on you?

Tonks
Maybe you could teach her how to braid :) Teach her how to do some styles on her own hair, then get her to practice on yours.

ETA: Exactly what NightShade said :P

naereid
That's just crazy. Don't give in! Since she doesn't know how to braid, you could teach her how. It's a nice thing to know, shouldn't take too long to figure out (plus gives a great sense of accomplishment once you do), and is very easy to start over as many times as necessary. I also wanted to mention ragcurls, but you're already a 3a so that wouldn't do.

sarah061
February 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
She could try putting it into some kind of a bun or pony tail... or maybe you could teach her how to do an english braid and let her practice on you. You should impart some of your wisdom! Good lucky :)

Lamb
February 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM
or is she just going to have to take no for an answer?
She would be, if she were my friend.

coscass
February 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I might try and show her how to braid. I can show her on my own head, and I have mannikin heads from beauty school lying around. I don't know if any of them have long enough hair, but we'll see!

I just feel bad for inviting her over then saying "no you can't touch my hair" lol

Nightshade
February 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
But you're not saying, "No, you can't touch my hair." You're saying, "No you can't use heat on my hair." Those, to me, are two wildly different things.

coscass
February 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
She could try putting it into some kind of a bun or pony tail... or maybe you could teach her how to do an english braid and let her practice on you. You should impart some of your wisdom! Good lucky :)
That's what I'm trying to do. She's got really nice shoulder length/a little longer dark brownish hair. So I'm going to try this braided updo thingie I saw, and try to teach her a few buns, maybe a pencil bun or something she can put up. Her hair is really thin and oily. I haven't talked her into CO yet, but we'll see ;)

But you're not saying, "No, you can't touch my hair." You're saying, "No you can't use heat on my hair." Those, to me, are two wildly different things. Well of course they are... but when a person only relies on hot tools to do someones hair, it's kind of saying the same thing lol. I think I'll just show her how to braid on my own hair. I haven't braided anyone elses' in forever. I wonder if I'll be bad at it a

sarah061
February 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
That's what I'm trying to do. She's got really nice shoulder length/a little longer dark brownish hair. So I'm going to try this braided updo thingie I saw, and try to teach her a few buns, maybe a pencil bun or something she can put up. Her hair is really thin and oily. I haven't talked her into CO yet, but we'll see ;)

Ooh, the braided updo sounds cute! And a pencil bun is a great idea - I bet she'll be really happy to learn some new things, I know I would be. And good luck with the big CO talk ;) hehe Lucky girl to have you as an in-house hair expert! Wish I could hire one for myself most days....

ericthegreat
February 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'd simply get a new friend. :cool: One that does know how to style hair in a healthy way and without heat. Or simply one that isn't insistent on damaging my hair for his or her own enjoyment.

coscass
February 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I'd simply get a new friend. :cool: One that does know how to style hair in a healthy way and without heat. Or simply one that isn't insistent on damaging my hair for his or her own enjoyment.

Yeah, let me just go to the "friends-for-about-7-years" friend store lol!:p

Dreams_in_Pink
February 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I'd get very pissed off if i was you. If i said NO, that means NO, not YES! Friend or not, i think people should respect each others's decisions, however "not cool" it may be.

ETA: oh, and if she loves you dearly as a friend, she should show some respect.

ericthegreat
February 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah, let me just go to the "friends-for-about-7-years" friend store lol!:p

Oh then you don't want to know how many "friends" I've know since 2nd grade or since high school that I can't even stand to be in the same room with anymore. :)

Loviatar
February 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Teach her braiding. I learned to braid using thick coloured wool, which my grandma pinned together in 3 different colour strands and then pinned to the couch. I knelt in front of the couch next to Grandma, following her braiding movements. You could try that - it could be fun and it's an easy way to learn.

Gumball
February 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I agree with those that said try to teach her how to do some sort of style instead of using a heat appliance. People often enough go with what they know because, well, they don't always know much else. I bet if you showed her that she could do myriad other things then she'd get pretty excited. A prime example is a basic three-strand braid can be simple, but if someone does four or five of them then they can be looped around and pinned up into some fun and possibly funky style. I bet she'll be learning a lot!

RecklessCharlie
February 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Not sure that a difference in opinion about hairstyling choices is a strong enough reason to ditch a friend...

The idea of sharing your styling skills, i.e., braiding, bunning etc. sounds like a great place to start. The options really are rather endless with 'natural' styling and I bet your friend will like it when she sees how fantastic unique braids and things can look!
Good luck :)

sweet*things
February 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
You could try doing sock buns on each other. Huge buns even with a modest amount of hair, and no heat necessary!

Kya
February 19th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Your friend obviously admires your hair and has some ideas "of her own" as to how to make it more beautiful "in her eyes". I don't think she is a bad friend at all (besides, you don't throw away real friends). She just has to respect your boundaries and then have fun with hair (in safe and affirming ways ;) --