PDA

View Full Version : How best to deal with Low Porosity Hair?

K_Angel
February 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Ok, I've taken the "tests" and think my hair is Low Porosity Hair, the more I read about it.... the more I think so.

Now what do I do with that information??????

Anyone have any insight on how to get low porosity hair what it needs and/or what the best approach to low porosity hair would be?

TIA! :flower:

Naava
February 19th, 2010, 04:31 AM
^You should just be happy with your hair then. It basicly means your hair is in good condition and easy to keep that way :)

K_Angel
February 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Yes, true! :)

But I still have trouble getting good stuff into my hair... and am wondering how to do a better job of getting it what it needs into the hair in the first place?

funnyface
February 19th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I have low porisity hair, and I slather my hair with conditioner and sit in a very steamy bathroom with it on my head. Then wash off. This seems to do the trick!

xxx

Athena's Owl
February 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
i just recently did the testing and some assessing and I think my hair is low porosity too.

I Think i'm going to have a tough time on this one because "curly hair is naturally porous" and here i am, defying convention once more! I'm going to start focusing on this one in my hair blog, which is interesting to no one but me. :)

Arctic
February 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yes, true! :)

But I still have trouble getting good stuff into my hair... and am wondering how to do a better job of getting it what it needs into the hair in the first place?

I can think 3 things that open up the cuticles: alkali liquids, water and heat. I don't know if that helpful at all though :p

chloeishere
February 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I have low porosity hair, and I think my heat cap (the Gold N Heat one from Sally's) helps a lot with deep treatments, and I can do it for less time!

jera
February 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
^You should just be happy with your hair then. It basicly means your hair is in good condition and easy to keep that way :)

I'd agree with this. It means your cuticle is healthy. :)

I can think 3 things that open up the cuticles: alkali liquids, water and heat. I don't know if that helpful at all though :p

True heat is the most damaging I think. :rolleyes:

Roseate
February 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Yes, I have low porosity hair and this is my challenge too. My hair is dry, but since it's not porous I have a devil of a time moisturizing it, and oils are hard to use.

Warm water in the shower helps open the cuticle. I try to keep my head warm and wet the whole time I have a DT on my head, this seems to help. And when adding leave-ins or oils on dry hair I always mist it with my kimberlily's spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) first, the extra moisture is essential for me.

GoddesJourney
February 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Try different oils and make sure you cover your head or hang out in the sun.

K_Angel
February 20th, 2010, 12:51 AM
i just recently did the testing and some assessing and I think my hair is low porosity too.

I Think i'm going to have a tough time on this one because "curly hair is naturally porous" and here i am, defying convention once more! I'm going to start focusing on this one in my hair blog, which is interesting to no one but me. :)
I just subscribed to your blog! I'm very interested in your tests and am curious what you find out! :)

K_Angel
February 20th, 2010, 12:54 AM
funnyface: Yeah, that sounds good! :) I had been trying to do the cold as possible water for my hair, thinking I was doing it a favor, but I think the heat is needed in the case of low porosity hair. :shrug:

Artic: Thank you, yes it is helpful! :)

K_Angel
February 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Yes, I have low porosity hair and this is my challenge too. My hair is dry, but since it's not porous I have a devil of a time moisturizing it, and oils are hard to use.

Warm water in the shower helps open the cuticle. I try to keep my head warm and wet the whole time I have a DT on my head, this seems to help. And when adding leave-ins or oils on dry hair I always mist it with my kimberlily's spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) first, the extra moisture is essential for me.

It explains too why a lot of the oils just sit on my hair in a oil slick sort of way. :laugh: And getting moisture to my hair is a bugger!

Following the heat idea, I had tried for the first time a DT with a heat cap and it did work well... I think I need to do one more often to make sure my hair gets what it needs....

Hmmmmmmmmmm, mist first, huh? Yeah, that makes sense... since I discovered rose water, I would spray it on and bun up my hair and that actually did seem to help... probably had more time to soak in....

So, I guess the key factors are heat (not destructive heat...) and giving it a way to soak in... Ok... I'll have to think about that some more. :hmm:

skeletonous
August 23rd, 2014, 05:55 PM
I have fine low porosity hair, but I'm worried that using heat will damage the cuticle shudder: will giving leave-ins and such extra time to soak in help too?