PDA

View Full Version : Victim of a hairdresser

heynormy
February 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM
So the other day I was really anxious to do something to my hair (you can tell this is going to be bad). I decided that I would go in and get my bangs shortened/cleaned up. Now I've been going to this lady for 3 or more years, so I trusted her and now i am really disappointed after this incident! Anyways, I sat down in the chair and explain to her what I wanted. Then I took of my glasses and let her proceed. First she wet my bangs and in less than a second she hacked off a good 4 inches!! At first it didn't bother, because I normally come home and style my hair the way I want. However, after I washed my hair and got a good look at my bangs, I realized that it looked like a partial bowl cut!! It's right at eyebrow length (the shortest my bangs have ever been)! When I wear my glasses there is a gap between where my hair and glasses meet! UGGGHHHH!!!! I'm so frustrated!! Never again!! I'm just going to stick to S&Ding my hair and in the meantime, pinning these lame bangs back!!
I just thought I could vent to all you wonderful people, since only LHC members would understand!
GROW BABY, GROW!!!

sarah061
February 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Aww, I'm so sorry that happened to you :( The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago so I know how frustrating and annoying it is. I've just been pinning my bangs back all the time because they look so silly when they're down. I just try and tell myself that at least now the ends are all healthy and bangs do give you an easy way to monitor how fast your hairs growing... I hope both of ours grow out very fast! At least I know other people are suffering along with me, haha :)

Robbi Dehlinger
February 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hi!

Sorry this happened, The Hair Angels will fix it:)

Hugsz

Olivia23
February 19th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Yep I always have problems with hairdressers wanting to hack away at my bangs. I used to go in and get them trimmed, but the always cut them to short or crooked. Now I have taught myself how to do it.

RedButterfly
February 19th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear about the scissor-happy hairdresser! That's happened to me before too.

Thank goodness, hair keeps growing. But doesn't it make you made when a stylist doesn't listen?

BlueMuse
February 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm sorry about your hair. I always thought I was silly being paranoid about letting anyone around my head with scissors. :(

jera
February 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
That's too bad, and you trusted her too. :( Goes to show LHCers should avoid stylists at all costs. I hope your hair frows back ultra fast.

K_Angel
February 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm sorry that happened to you! :grouphug:

IttyBittyKitty
February 19th, 2010, 03:21 AM
So sorry to hear that,it is awful when it happens........:grouphug:

marzipanthecat
February 19th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Well that's the pits. But as others have said, at least it will all eventually grow back!

That "bowl-cut" sort of fringe was very popular last year down here - almost all the teenage girls had it. It was a really large sort of fringe - loads of hair swept forwards and cut to turn into a fringe.

kitten1986
February 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I had exactly the same thing happen... except it was me holding the scissors.
I used to cut my bangs afew years ago and decided that I would like some nice face framing layers and some bangs cause I can FINALLY get my hair into a ponytail and it looked too severe when I pull it all back.
Before I knew it I had some horrible too short bangs that were too blunt and unflattering :( with only myself to blame

BUT, now afew weeks later they have lost that 'freshly cut' look and I actually like them :D

and as someone else said its a great indicator of how fast your hair is growing
Now I have learnt my lesson to not be so scissor happy and to take my time when trimming bangs and face framing layers hahaha

to the OP I hope they grow fast for you and that you find that you like them in afew weeks when you can sweep them to the side

Carolyn
February 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
This is why I learned to cut my own bangs when I had them. I had one stylist who could do them to suit my pickiness. I watched her and learned to do it at home. I hate short bangs and wanted mine about eyelash length. It was hard to get a stylist to respect that.

Beesweet
February 19th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Oh, that's a big bummer. I feel for you. The bowl bangs look isn't for everybody, LOL.

I really hope they grow back fast. Maybe they will look better in a few weeks. It doesn't take long for bangs to look different.

I was just thinking about some side bangs for myself, since the bob is looking a little "American Gothic" while it grows out, but maybe I'll hold off.

Hang in there. A little time will fix it. At least it wasn't color or something damaging.

JamieLeigh
February 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'm so sorry that happened!! :( I refuse to even think of going to a stylist. My mom thinks it's pickiness, I think it's safety!!

akurah
February 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
It almost sounds like the problem was lack of communication. It sucks when a hairdresser does a cut wrong, but hopefully this will help you remember to be crystal clear with instructions in the future. :hugs:

FrannyG
February 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
There are some hairdressers that I trust completely, but I have been cutting my own hair for years now. I grew out my bangs for a while and when I wanted them back, I cut them myself. I cut my length myself too. I know what a half inch is. Most people do not.

And yes, those bangs will grow out before you know it. I kind of like the "bow cut" bangs, myself, but I know they're not for everyone. So sorry that this happened. :flowers:

ArienEllariel
February 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Oh, that's a big bummer. I feel for you. The bowl bangs look isn't for everybody, LOL.

I definately know it's not for me. My mother used to cut my hair that way all through my childhood. I finally grew out the awful things and eventually got some nice sideswept bangs.

Now I had those longer sideswept bangs for a couple years and needed to get them trimmed. So I went to a salon (which had cut my hair in the past, but hadn't done my bangs originally) and before I knew it some lady decided to razor cut my bangs. I was really upset because when I got home I saw the damage she had done (splits to high heaven). :(

Since then I've gotten them trimmed once by someone who actually knows how to use scissors to cut bangs and ever since have been growing them out. I have a feeling I may change my mind down the road, but for now I want to see how much a difference in my ponytail circumfrance that extra hair will make. ;)

The nice thing is that bangs grow really fast.

BrightEyes7
February 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I know how you feel. It sucks to get your hair butchered! Your poor precious hair!!!:wail:

jojo
February 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Sorry you have gone through this, but fringes grow quick and in a months time they will look compleatly different.

Kya
February 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
That's terrible -- it happened to me, too. :rant: I have not let a hairdresser cut my hair since 2001 for that very reason -- they like to cut.

Did I mention, they like to cut (which is fine, if that's what you want). shudder:

Emerson
February 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I feel your pain. A few years ago I had got a trim, some layers around my face and some long side swept bangs cut. I really liked them, so while I was shopping a couple of months later, I noticed there was a hair salon in the same plaza. I thought no hair dresser could screw up trimming bangs that were already the right shape. I went in and she actually just grabbed the bangs into a bunch in her hands and took the scissors and chopped! Seriously, one cut of the scissors. I couldnt believe it. The bangs looked so messed up, I pinned them back and let them grow out. Late last year I got brave again and had some blunt bangs cut in. I got lucky, the woman was so nice and actually listened to me. I have been trimming my own bangs since (they don't look as nice/blunt as when she cut them, so I might have to go and see her again)

heynormy
February 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone!! This why I love this community!!:inlove: It's nice to hear everyone's experiences with crazy hairdressers! It's also nice to be reminded that my hair will eventually grow out from this hideous cut! I actually like the shape of the cut, they have potential to be great side-swept bangs, but its the length that is bugging me!! :D

morguebabe
February 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm confused aren't bangs supposed to be short?
Unless they are short layers?

heynormy
February 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I'm confused aren't bangs supposed to be short?
Unless they are short layers?

Yes, bangs are short, but how short is personal preference! I prefer my bangs at around cheek length, however they are now at eyebrow length, big difference for me!:)

christine1989
February 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
At least bangs grow pretty fast, at least it wasn't all of your hair :)

Robbi Dehlinger
February 20th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Sorry you have gone through this, but fringes grow quick and in a months time they will look compleatly different.

Hi!

If you are a worm at the bottom of my garden, you sure are a pretty one...Good to c u:):poot:

Capybara
February 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Wow, what a shame! I hope your bangs grow back to your preferred length soon!
I've always had the difficulty of telling hairdressers where to stop, as it's harder to tell how short hair is when it's wet. My current hairdresser, though, cuts my bangs when they are dry - which I am very appreciative of!
I'm sure it doesn't look as bad as you think it does now. In my experience, bangs usually look much better a week or two after they're cut. Good luck!