PDA

View Full Version : Coming out curls

coscass
February 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM
So I know combing out curls is a no-no, but does anyone do it anyway? Some days if I use too much conditioner, my hair doesn't really "curl". I can fingercomb it and the curl seems to fall out. Some days I like that wavy look.

How else can you get that wavy look? I've heard lots of people get it from a certain bun, but can anyone explain how? I'd like them every once in a while just for fun. My braid seem to be too tight, even when I try to make them loose.

shrimp
February 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I get waves rather than curls by combing my hair when it is soaking wet out of the wash (whih is when omb it normally) and braiding it to dry.

young&reckless
February 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Straight haired girl popping it.

If waves are what you want look for buns that do not have a lot of twisting to them. They tend to make more of a big curls then a wave.

I get waves from braiding myself. Tighter braids seam to be the only thing that makes them for my but my hair won't hold a curl without a fight.

Kirry-Folk
February 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have curly hair, but I wear it wavy 98% of the time. Ironically, when brushed out, my curliest bits of hair become the straightest. Hair is silly like that. :silly:

:( Wish I could help you get waves from buns! I usually wear a bun where half of my hair is pulled through a smooth soft scrunchy but the ends are hanging out beneath the "poof". It doesn't really work for longer hair, though, but anywhere between APL and BSL should work.

misstwist
February 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
So I know combing out curls is a no-no, but does anyone do it anyway? Some days if I use too much conditioner, my hair doesn't really "curl". I can fingercomb it and the curl seems to fall out. Some days I like that wavy look.

How else can you get that wavy look? I've heard lots of people get it from a certain bun, but can anyone explain how? I'd like them every once in a while just for fun. My braid seem to be too tight, even when I try to make them loose.

Combing out curls isn't a no-no. You just won't get the best curl formation and you may encourage frizz, especially if combing or brushing dry curls. You may want your hair a bit frizzy to create bigger updos.

If I'm wearing my hair down after a wash and want wavy rather than curly (my ends curl up in the 3 range) I towel dry my hair to damp then use my shower comb or my Denman brush to comb through my damp hair. For me, the comb will come out curlier and the brush will come out wavier.

As it dries I will comb or brush it out a few more times. As it gets closer to dry I comb it out over my hand, the same way one should do for coming out a curl set. That reduces frizz and helps form the waves.

If my hair is frizzing I might add a little bit of my conditioner or some aloe gel or some coconut oil, whatever happens to be on hand, to boost the moisture and reduce frizz.

I rarely go to this much trouble because I wear my hair up about 90% of the time.

Buns that give me good wave include the nautilus bun and a loose cinnamon bun. A french twist will give me good wave if my hair isn't at all wet before making it. A french twist made on damp hair will just give me funky bends and some weird curls mid-shaft.

Honestly, I get my best waves from pin curling and wear pin curls to bed about 50% of the time. The bend and volume I get from pin curling allows me to make bigger updos without backcombing.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

teela1978
February 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Straight haired girl popping it.

If waves are what you want look for buns that do not have a lot of twisting to them. They tend to make more of a big curls then a wave.

I get waves from braiding myself. Tighter braids seam to be the only thing that makes them for my but my hair won't hold a curl without a fight.
Interesting. I get better waves from twisty buns (cinnabuns are best for me). Personally I'm not a big fan of braid waves, I don't like how my ends don't get the same wave pattern.