PDA

View Full Version : Stopping birth control - hair loss question

Forever_Sophie
February 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I've been on the pill for 10 yrs and might be stopping them now. I've heard of people experiencing hair thinning after stopping, so I'm wondering, if I keep taking all the *hair* pills, might that deter the shedding?

Also, anyone here stop birth control without experiencing hair loss?

Thanks in advance.

hmmm
February 18th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I stopped after taking them for six months. I didn't notice any shedding after my seasonal winter shed was over. There was no change in thickness. Hope this helps.

Anje
February 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm going to find out soon. I've been on birth control (though the patch and the ring, not pills because I react to them) for 7 years. I'm getting a non-hormonal IUD tomorrow.

From what I've heard, some people shed and others don't. Some have increased growth once they go off the pills, even.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm hoping I don't have a huge postpartum-like shed myself, but there's no way to know without doing it.

Forever_Sophie
February 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I'm going to find out soon. I've been on birth control (though the patch and the ring, not pills because I react to them) for 7 years. I'm getting a non-hormonal IUD tomorrow.

From what I've heard, some people shed and others don't. Some have increased growth once they go off the pills, even.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm hoping I don't have a huge postpartum-like shed myself, but there's no way to know without doing it.

Thanks, maybe we can compare notes in a few months. Good luck, and I hope you don't experience any negative side effects!

Messyhair
February 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I suffered no hair loss when I went off birth control, but results will vary between people depending on how their body reacts to changes in the levels of hormones. I also didn't lose any hair after having my baby, which can happen for many women when the hormone changes happen.

freckles
February 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I didn't noticeably shed when I went off birth control. I had only been on it about a year though.

curlylocks85
February 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I stopped taking my birth control pills 4 to 5 months ago and I have not experienced any hair loss. Actually, the quality of my hair has improved. I think a lot has to do with hormonal changes in the body.

If you experience hair loss, give your body 3 to 6 months to adjust to the change and re-evaluate your hair. The hair loss should not last forever. If it lasts longer than that it could be an entirely different issue.

I do take vitamins and supplements, but I started them after I stopped the pill. I have noticed some improvements, but as far as hair loss, I shed the same now as I did when I was on the pill.

Good Luck.

missjessiecakes
February 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I am currently in a huge shed. Well huge for me. Before and during the pill I lost 5-10 hairs a day and now I lose about 100. My hair is a little thinner but mostly okay. My winter shed wasnt as shed-y as previous years so maybe that is just catching up to me.

Forever_Sophie
February 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks so much, girls!

I stopped taking my birth control pills 4 to 5 months ago and I have not experienced any hair loss. Actually, the quality of my hair has improved. I think a lot has to do with hormonal changes in the body.

If you experience hair loss, give your body 3 to 6 months to adjust to the change and re-evaluate your hair. The hair loss should not last forever. If it lasts longer than that it could be an entirely different issue.

I do take vitamins and supplements, but I started them after I stopped the pill. I have noticed some improvements, but as far as hair loss, I shed the same now as I did when I was on the pill.

Good Luck.

Much appreciated, this was insightful. Really good to hear that it shouldn't be forever!

elina333
February 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I stopped taking the pill 10 months ago after being on it for about 10 years. I experienced some severe shedding, especially around the hairline. I dont shed anymore, but my hair has still to grow back. But it takes 6-12 months (so I've read). If you take vitamins they prob wont help in this matter since its purely hormonal. I was on my vitamins and they sure didnt stop anything :)

But dont be alarmed if you do experience shedding, its perfectly normal and there are tons of info on the subject on :google:

Good luck and I hope you dont shed :D