PDA

View Full Version : For those with seborrheic dermatitis...

pelicano
February 18th, 2010, 03:50 AM
....does your scalp prefer hard or soft water? It's just that I've noticed more and more that my scalp is terrible if the water is remotely soft, whereas my hair loves it! eg. I have been doing a carbonated water rinse after every wash, and my scalp has really flared up, to the point where I'm really going to have to stop, I think. :( I've also noticed it on holidays etc. So, for some reason, my scalp obviously likes rock hard water!! :rolleyes: I think it must just want a slightly higher alkalinity.

I'd be really interested to hear whether your troublesome scalps have a preference!

AgnesONutter
February 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Well...I've honestly never thought about what the hardness of my water does for my hair or my seborrhoea. However, what I have noticed:

- ACV rinses is a good thing for my scalp, when left for a few minutes before rinsing out.
- Moisturising my scalp helps. So, deep treatment oilings, Aloe Vera massaged into the scalp...even conditioner with no silicone is good.
- Scalp massages is a must to dislodge dead skincells since washing alone will not do the trick.
- Use as gentle a shampoo as possible. Harsh stuff only dries my scalp out, which adds to the problems I already have.
- Use a boar bristle brush, or a similar brush, that gets down to the scalp and can brush away those dead skin cells.

To summarise: Treat your scalp as you would your facial skin if you had similar problems. Gentle cleanser, regular exfoliation (a bit harder with hair, but doable. Just don't overdo it or you will get a soar scalp instead) and lots of moisture. It does not cure, but it does help.

pelicano
February 18th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Well, we're all unique I guess, and that just makes us complicated - my scalp is the complete opposite! :o My scalp hates aloe vera, conditioner of any sort, and vinegar! :D

Katze
February 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I have not noticed any difference. Stopping coloring was the biggest help for my SD.

rosieposie
February 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Nothing to add here (sorry.....), but I am bookmarking this thread. My scalp hates soft water too and Im at my witts end trying to figure out a remedy. I will be really interested to read any advice.

pelicano
February 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'm starting to wonder if I ought to try weak sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), since my scalp seems to want a higher alkalinity. I hate the stuff for my hair, but my scalp has to come first. I'll report back! :)