PDA

View Full Version : Hemline too thick...?

GoddesJourney
February 17th, 2010, 11:46 PM
No really, I never thought I'd feel this way but it's true. Okay, I started off with a little past BSL heading for waist. I soon discovered self-trimming and got rid of this pathetic little straggly layer I had. Soon, I realized I had at least six more inches of layers that had to go. Over a few more months, I cut back until those layers were finally gone. Awesome, right? Wrong!

As it turned out, I had plenty of damage above the layers, especially that top layer that hadn't had any trimming yet. So I started trimming piece at a time until I got to more or less APL about a month or two ago. Finally, most of the damage is gone. What is left is tolerable for the time being. Anyway, now that most of the layering and breakage is gone, I'm left with a slightly inverted U at a little below APL (the front strands are almost to BSL) with a fairly thick hemline. It looks so strange! Almost like a boring, layerless bob that I just didn't bother to cut for a long time. Usually, there would be more of a natural taper, but it just looks wrong like this.

I feel like my braid is the short stub of a real braid that got cut off by some accident. I'm starting to wish I had left a little more of that damage there. Maybe the CO would've helped in tolerating it. Sheesh. Anyone feel this way about a chopped-looking hemline. At this length it just looks stubby.

Roseate
February 17th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, this is why I'm keeping the layers I have in the last 3" of my hair. I don't have a lot of natural taper, and a totally blunt hemline just looks too abrupt on me.

I grew/trimmed layers out the last time I was growing, and I was blunt at waist... I wasn't a fan.

countryhopper
February 17th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I think it might look/feel better once it is longer. Do you have any pics of it?

jera
February 18th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I think you hair looks beautiful. :) I like blunt hemlines anyway because mine tends to taper into spirals. Maybe we always prefer what we haven't got?

FrannyG
February 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Believe me, give it a month or two and it will start looking and feeling the way you want it to. The added weight of another bit of length will make all the difference in the world as to how it looks.

Don't worry. :blossom:

physicschick
February 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
As franny says, more length will help weight it down and it'll hang differently. Also, as you grow longer, eventually it'll start to taper a little bit. Maybe it won't be noticeable to others as taper, but you'll be able to see it from how it hangs and how your braid tassel looks.

Here's an example... An old siggy, classic length hair:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/physicschick/lhc/sig_wall.jpg

Versus about hip length, taken shortly after I joined LHC:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/physicschick/lhc/profile1.jpg

Humidity and how recently you washed are also major factors, including in the above pictures. The following was meant to be a color comparison pic, but look at the difference in body/bluntness (pics taken only a couple weeks apart but hair was a different number of days past washing):
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/physicschick/lhc/full_Bef_Aft_res.jpg

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Pffft! Lucky! :p

As others have suggested, perhaps you'll be happier with it when you've gained more length. Since you've been steadily trimming, maybe letting your natural hemline show through will make you feel better about it. You say your damage is gone? Just S&D for awhile and leave the trimming alone unless you start to see more damage somewhere (and I hope you don't!!), and see how it looks when you have more length. Congrats on getting rid of damage, btw!! I know there are a lot of people on here who think your hair is beautiful! (Me being one!) :flower:

smilinjenn71
February 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I am not a fan of blunt hemlines/no layers either. Maybe because I want to wear my hair down the majority of time. I only wear it up at work because I have to. (can't have hair in patients faces) On the nights/weekends, it's always down because that is how I enjoy my hair the most.

Perhaps you are much the same. I think no layers are GREAT for people that want to do a lot of braids and updos. But if they wear it down more times than not, layers give the hair more movement and interest.

Just my :twocents:

Anje
February 18th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Not a problem I've ever had, but I'd say to give it a few months, like everyone else. If you still don't like it, you might be able to give yourself a small cut to bring back a little bit of layering.

My cutting technique is to part my hair down the middle all the way down the back, and bring it over my shoulders. Then I basically make a ponytail at my chin (though if you go higher, like your nose, you'll have more layering) and cut the tip of the tail off. This gives a nice gentle U with a little layering built in. Fewer steps than Feye's trim for a U, which pleases me, because I'm likely to take off more than I want with that method.

xoxophelia
February 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. When my hair was that length, I had cut off the bottom of my layers, still had a V from the angled part of the layers, and my hair was doing the traingle thing major league. I would be brave like you and cut off the rest of the layers now but I think it would be more difficult to not heat style...

One thing that helps while you wait for the extra length is weighing it down with a little product. Mostly like a leave in conditioner or some oil.

GoddesJourney
February 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'm not worried about it being weighed down or not, it's simply strange-looking. I didn't really enjoy layers for very long, either. I liked the more blunt look I had on a V or U cut when it was longer. I think it's the slightly inverted U that's the most irritating. I never liked the straight across thing on myself, it looks weird. I did well with the V and the U. Without it, I have no shape. Now I'm a lot more impatient about it growing out. Anything that adds to my impatience is a bad idea.