PDA

View Full Version : Question about measuring my hair.

cmcwell
February 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
The last haircut I got was in May '09 and it was about 3 inches all around. I was just trying to measure my hair, but I'm not sure where to measure it, I've got LOTS of layers from letting it grow out. Do I still measure it from my hair line to the bottom of the back? Thanks for the help and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or something. I'm kind of a forum idiot. :brains:

missjessiecakes
February 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
yup layers dont take away from length.

countryhopper
February 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Welcome!

You can measure any way you want. Just pick a method and continue measuring the same way each time to get consistent measurements.

You can also opt for taking monthly pictures of the back of your hair. You can try wearing a striped shirt and watch your hair pass stripe after stripe... i think that is my favorite method. Then, anytime you feel discouraged you have visible proof your hair is still growing!

sarah061
February 17th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Welcome!

You can measure any way you want. Just pick a method and continue measuring the same way each time to get consistent measurements.

You can also opt for taking monthly pictures of the back of your hair. You can try wearing a striped shirt and watch your hair pass stripe after stripe... i think that is my favorite method. Then, anytime you feel discouraged you have visible proof your hair is still growing!

Ooh, that's a great method! I really like the stripe idea - what a excellent way to see how much it's growing! I would have never thought of that, haha

GoddesJourney
February 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Check out the sticky "link to very important threads". There's one on measuring and typing hair.

jojo
February 18th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I have a widows peak and meausre from the point of this and pass the tape over my head until it reaches the ends.

As long as your consistant and measure the same way every time it doesnt matter, i measure 3 times too, but its not an exact science to be honest and I can many different readings.

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Most people on this site measure from where your hair starts at the center of your forehead, straight back with the tape over your head, and all the way to the ends. Others measure from the crown of your head, down the back to the ends. So if you use numerical measurements, it's helpful to tell which way you measured. That way if anyone wants to compare where, say, 30" falls on your body as opposed to on their own, they'll know how you came up with that number. :flower: