PDA

View Full Version : Rope braid dread things (pics. oooh, look at me!)

JenniferNoel
February 17th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I thought I'd show off my most recent masterpiece. If it hasn't already been completely established, hair to me, is the canvas, and these fun things I do are the art. Ya followin'? :D
3 hours of work. Held together with hair friendly hair cement, should last a few weeks.

Anyone else attempted this?

Dang... it's like... I worked so hard on these little beauties and I just had to show everyone on here.:disco:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/jenny_the_strange/DSC09900.jpg
:guns:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/jenny_the_strange/DSC09903.jpg

TiaKitty
February 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
OOOOOoooooooh! Fancy! I like it. I like it a lot!

What's hair cement? It sounds scary.

MandaMom2Three
February 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Coolness :cool:

jivete
February 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I like it, but I'd be afraid of the damage from the cement and the cramps my hands would get twisting all that hair into place.

christine1989
February 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Awesome rope braids but what is hair cement?! This is the first I am hearing about it.

JenniferNoel
February 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Alright alright.
Hair cement is like a strong hair gel, except it washes out real quick and easy, just one SLS rinse and you're done. I've tried it before, pretty easy!

And no damage since my hair doesn't really mind SLS all that much. :p

TiaKitty
February 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Oy... okay... Then they're fastened with rubber bands or something? I was picturing you dipping the ends into something very much like rubber cement. Cool, cool...

Elphie
February 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
That's a great look for you! I like them!

Twil
February 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
What brand of hair cement do you use? Do you use Got2b or Garnier Frutics? Or do you use a basic twist and lock cream?

Either way your hair looks slammin! My hair always took to long to do that style, and I've always been envious of it. I remember I did my sister's hair (about your length) in twisties for a Family Values tour one year.

ericthegreat
February 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would only do about 5 or 6 of these tiny little rope braids on my head before I would simply give up from exhaustion. You have amazing braiding endurance Jennifer! :thumbsup:

RavennaNight
February 17th, 2010, 09:13 PM
JenniferNoel you've got tons of patience! And it pays off:) That is a really fun hairstyle!:thumbsup:

JenniferNoel
February 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
What brand of hair cement do you use? Do you use Got2b or Garnier Frutics? Or do you use a basic twist and lock cream?

Either way your hair looks slammin! My hair always took to long to do that style, and I've always been envious of it. I remember I did my sister's hair (about your length) in twisties for a Family Values tour one year.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! :)
I use Beyond The Zone cement. It's a cool line up... they have everything haha.

tinker bug
February 17th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Yup, I've done these before, only with just twisting and hair wax, no rope braiding :D I loved it, (no combing...yay!) so enjoy them while you have them :flower:

StormVixen
February 18th, 2010, 04:26 AM
ooooh... love them! dont think i could do them tho unless i used some kind of natural wax most styleing products give me bad scalp:(

FrannyG
February 18th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Ooooooh, this is just beautiful!!! :cloud9: It is a masterpiece. :bowtome: Additionally, I applaud your patience and the fact that your hands and arms didn't get fatigued.

So how do you care for this? CO? I have no idea.

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Coolness!!! That would take me forever.

JenniferNoel
February 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Ooooooh, this is just beautiful!!! :cloud9: It is a masterpiece. :bowtome: Additionally, I applaud your patience and the fact that your hands and arms didn't get fatigued.

So how do you care for this? CO? I have no idea.

Thanks! :D

Basically, whenever it comes time to wash, I put the braids up in a shower cap and do the normal routine on the rest of the hair. I just let the natural oils to their thing... last time I did these a couple years ago I didn't shampoo or condition them until they naturally unraveled, and my hair felt insanely soft and moisturized for weeks. Benign neglect if you wanna call it that. :p
And they don't really pull on my scalp in weird ways either... pretty comfortable most of the time. It's just weird putting my glasses on under the temple braids. :cheese:

akka naeda
February 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks! :D

Basically, whenever it comes time to wash, I put the braids up in a shower cap and do the normal routine on the rest of the hair. I just let the natural oils to their thing... last time I did these a couple years ago I didn't shampoo or condition them until they naturally unraveled, and my hair felt insanely soft and moisturized for weeks. Benign neglect if you wanna call it that. :p
And they don't really pull on my scalp in weird ways either... pretty comfortable most of the time. It's just weird putting my glasses on under the temple braids. :cheese:

And you managed to undo them without them really having dreaded? I know people who've dreaded their hair by putting it into twists and leaving it.

Das Siechtum
February 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
You look like you jumped right off the first "the crow" movie. :-)

Cool like uuhm....

little_cherry
February 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Whoa...awesomeness! It must have taken you a long time! Thanks for sharing the pics!

JenniferNoel
February 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM
And you managed to undo them without them really having dreaded? I know people who've dreaded their hair by putting it into twists and leaving it.

Yeah pretty much... the trick is to have the strands evenly detangled before putting them in to the braids so it's less messy to get them out.
Just a looooot of patience involved here folks. :cool:

cmnt831
February 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Awesome! My hair "ropes" naturally and I twist each one to give it some definition, but no way would I ever have the patience to accomplish what you did with those braids. Very very cool. :)

chargersfan
February 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Very cool!

Beesweet
February 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Yep. Looks great. Very cool to see on your hair type. Nice job.

I do these EVERY WEEK on my type 4 daughter. Some folks call them "two strand twists" or double twists. She has a ton of hair and I can do her whole head in about an hour and ten minutes. For her, we can just use a little coconut oil to set it.

With the stuff you use to hold it, can you take it out and wear in in the second style -- called a "twist out?"
We do the twists for about four days and use the twist style to set it (kinda like making braid waves or putting in curlers), then she wears the "twist outs" for a couple of days before we wash. Twist-outs are amazing. Would probably be kinda 80's punky/crimped for your hair type.
Keep having fun!

JenniferNoel
February 18th, 2010, 11:34 AM
With the stuff you use to hold it, can you take it out and wear in in the second style -- called a "twist out?"

That I can... I did it the last time I had these braids, and when the time is right I'm gonna go ahead and re attempt it... not to mention take some pictures!
It's been so long. I'm kinda mad I didn't photo-document it last time... I was blond last time I did the twist out. It was insane. :cool:

merryhair
February 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
That's so cool!! Thanks for sharing. How much did it take to put in those tiny little braids?

yellowchariot
February 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
It's amazing how you got those ropes to be so small and petite sized. I think they look very cool!

Sylvanas
February 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Oooh, I love it! Not just the braids, your style rocks as well. You really pull it off! :cool:

little_acorn
February 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Looks great - I've had fatter vesions of this in for a few days and loved them :D

BlueMuse
February 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Aww, I wish I could view pictures.

Beets
February 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
It's a good thing you took pictures--that looks took some work!! I really like it. Do you think you'll go the whole 5-6 weeks, or change your mind before then?

By way of an addition, if I could have any hairstyle at all for the rest of my life, it would be a twist out. Hands down.

JenniferNoel
February 18th, 2010, 07:38 PM
It's a good thing you took pictures--that looks took some work!! I really like it. Do you think you'll go the whole 5-6 weeks, or change your mind before then?

By way of an addition, if I could have any hairstyle at all for the rest of my life, it would be a twist out. Hands down.

Meh, it's easy enough that if I changed my mind I could just wash them out, and then re do them the next day... I might end up going about a week with 'em. I tend to get bored pretty fast haha.

WyrdWay
February 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah those look great! I do this to my hair at least once a month but after I wash mine they get curly at the ends and spirl. :) I hope you enjoy them!