PDA

View Full Version : Why Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is not good for you

vdhendrix
February 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
i just found this video no youtube about SLS and thought you guys might be interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQggSIxU8lw&feature=related

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for sharing, that is a great video.

oceanwoman111
February 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Great Video!! Thank you. Wow. It's scary. I didn't know SLS is in toothpaste and mouthwash too.

Oskimosa
February 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks for posting :) Many of us have heard this info before, but it is nice how she put it all together in a short speech.

Rhiannon7
February 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM
That is so scary. (running to the bathroom to throw away all SLS products. )

Elainehali
February 17th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Smart lady right there!

teela1978
February 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Meh. Not well researched/referenced, kinda reactionary.

The MSDS for sodium dodecyl sulfate (http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Sodium_Dodecyl_Sulfate_20_-9925004) (aka SLS, at a 20% dilution which is a higher concentration than most people would ever use on themselves) really isn't any worse than the one for castile soap (http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Castile_soap-9923335) ('natural' soap made from vegetable oil).

Crazycatlady
February 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty new around here and I had NO IDEA why SLS is so bad! I just thought it was harsh for your hair. Thanks so much for the information. I'll pass it along!

Shanizah
February 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I feel there is some definite fear-mongering in this video....

She starts talking about the chemical name of sodium lauryl sulfate (around 1:10), and the info that pops up on the screen says 'Sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester, sodium salt.'

The true chemical name of sodium lauryl sulfate is 'sulfuric acid monododecyl ester sodium salt' (without the commas), which has a completely different meaning - so the text that pops up around 2:39: 'All three are just different chemical names for SLS,' is WRONG.

Yes, one of the reactants (ingredients) in making sodium lauryl sulfate is sulfuric acid:

"SLS is synthesized by reacting lauryl alcohol with sulfuric acid to produce hydrogen lauryl sulfate which is then neutralized through the addition of sodium carbonate."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_lauryl_sulfate)

But the end product is NOT sulfuric acid. (Just as lye/sodium hydroxide is used to make soap, but is not in the end product.)

And since sodium lauryl sulfate is not the same thing as sulfuric acid, her entire blurb on battery acid and how hazardous it is does not apply to sodium lauryl sulfate....i.e. she's confusing terms...

Yes, sodium lauryl sulfate is one of the harsher detergents used in a lot of personal care products and does not agree with everyone (e.g. people with skin sensitivities, etc.) But in most products, the concentration is very low, and does not cause the majority of people problems - warnings on MSDS sheets pertain to undiluted SLS. If people decide to use sulfate-free products for personal reasons, that's fine, but it really, really ticks me off when scientific information is used inaccurately to induce fear.

Just my two cents, sorry if I sound really anal.

akurah
February 17th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Do research on SLS, don't take this girl's word for it. Without even watching the video I'm almost positive the majority of the information is incorrect.

That said, if you're going for epicly long hair (ie, beyond tailbone), yeah, SLS may be a bit much. Or if you have allergies to it (or coconut, which SLS is derived from), or if you're just plain sensitive to chemicals (many are). But do research first, for the love of all that is holy, and make sure your researched sources are backed by studies and references. Don't just take some idiot's word for it, you have no idea if they know chemistry from California.

ravenreed
February 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM
This is one of my favorite Snopes articles and why I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. Just as anything can be made to sound dangerous, anything can be made to sound safe. Research and make your own opinion, but don't do something drastic based on an un-researched Youtube video, email, or anything else.

http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

Tangerine
February 18th, 2010, 03:09 AM
That entry you linked to is fabulous, ravenreed, and a great reminder and eye opener to always remain critical ... of both sides of the story.
Thanks for that! :)

Katze
February 18th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I would take this with a big grain of salt for the reasons already mentioned.

Every few years some big scare comes up about something-or-another, then is suddenly forgotten about. Many of these scares turn out to be based on people drawing false conclusions, or inconclusive research, or, or...remember the big 'aluminum-leads-to-alzheimers thing?!?'

Never mind that the internet is full of misinformation.

DH is a chemist and always reminds me to TRY to think 'scientifically' on such stuff...

jackie75
April 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
This is one of my favorite Snopes articles and why I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. Just as anything can be made to sound dangerous, anything can be made to sound safe. Research and make your own opinion, but don't do something drastic based on an un-researched Youtube video, email, or anything else.

That is amazing! It's the first time I heard of this hoax. I'm saving it to my favorites to share with my kids later on....too good of an educational opportunity to pass up!

ChloeDharma
April 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
The thing that swayed it for me was that i dislike the idea of using a product that reduces my skins ability to act as a barrier, i'm not overly anal about it though but i did find i had to give up long soaks in bubble bath because they left my skin rough feeling and itchy.

spidermom
April 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM
More emotional and reactionary than scientific; don't worry.

FrannyG
April 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with Spidermom. Remain critical whenever anyone puts too much fear into anything.

Oskimosa
April 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Remaining critical is very important, I agree!

I don't consider myself a "conspiracy theorist" at all, but in general I believe there are certain systems in place that do NOT have the best interests of people, specifically if a product is cheap and/or profitable. I wouldn't trust that companies like the FDA would have the consumer's best interests at heart.

In short, if the product really is unsafe, I wouldn't trust them to alert us. Business interests... lobbyists... not biting the hand that feeds you... those things prevail in my mind. At the very least, I have reduced my use of this detergent. Not based on that article, but on many others.

I've also heard that excessive amounts of this stuff are getting in our waters. That's the same reason I came off the pill. You just have to make your own decisions based on the information we're given! :shrug:

shadowclaw
April 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM
If people decide to use sulfate-free products for personal reasons, that's fine, but it really, really ticks me off when scientific information is used inaccurately to induce fear.

Well put! Statistical information is also often manipulated to support one point or another and can have the same effect.

That's lovely! I actually didn't catch on at first that they were talking about water... and to think I was just naming chemical compounds earlier this semester. My professor would whack me on the back of my head!

I also like the reference to SLS in the Snopes article.

As for my own thoughts on SLS... I like it and I don't know anyone personally who has gotten cancer, had their hair fall out, or had anything else horrible happen from using SLS. All I can say is that SLS isn't for everyone, and don't blame your bad reaction to it on reports and research done using SLS at concentrations way higher than anyone would ever use, and definitely don't blame on reports that are just plain wrong.