PDA

View Full Version : What is the most protective hairstyle

BrightEyes7
February 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Normally I will wear my hair in a classic bun or sometimes a french braid... what is the most protective hairstyle/hair toy?

Sorry, I don't know all the fancy bun names. By classic bun I mean I put it in a ponytail and then twist and wrap it around and secure with a clip.:o

JenniferNoel
February 17th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Not a sock bun on windy days... mine blew out somehow on the beach earlier in a windstorm without my knowledge, leaving a silly pony tail and a small white sock floating around somewhere in the gulf of Mexico. :cheese:

Anje
February 17th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I suspect that the most protective style is one that you can do. I mean, if the most protective style is a crown braid, but you can't do that all the time so you leave your hair loose when you don't make a crown braid, it's not that protective.

I do think that buns are more protective than braids that hang loose. Furthermore, I've had breakage from ponytails, so I tend to avoid securing a ponytail before forming a bun.

Some methods of securing buns have to be more protective than others, too. I can't make a scrunchy bun that doesn't pull, so it's probably going to cause breakage and damage for me. Something that's comfortable and balanced, and regularly changes height so the same spots aren't stressed is best.

PineappleJello
March 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not sue if it actually is protective, I like to think it is. Just putting my hair in a bun with a hair fork makes me feel like my hair isn't getting damaged.

hannagrrl
March 12th, 2010, 08:38 AM
You could do what I did last night... french braid then wrap the braid with a strip of satin. Well, it was actually a hair wrap from a Scunci ("Scrunchie"?) set. Something like this (http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Hair-Accessories/Flexible-Scarfband/ID=prod4415130&navCount=272&navAction=push-product). I just took the scarf out of the band.

Norai
March 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I like lazy wrap buns because there's minimal twisting, it stays put, and its one of a few I can do really reliably. :)

Juliannaissance
March 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
You can try a dutch braid down the head and then coiled up into a bun and secured with a hair stick..that works for me :)

heidihug
March 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I would say a lazy wrap, like Norai, or the good ol' cinnabun. Easy, and don't require elastics to help keep secure.