PDA

View Full Version : Shorties with Long Hair

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was wondering... how many long hairs here consider themselves to be "short"?
I am 5'1" and when I had nearly waist length hair I have had many people tell me that long hair isn't right for "small people". Of course I don't agree with that.

Does anyone else find this has been said to them too?
Just curious! :)

zen_oven
February 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I'm 5'3" and consider myself short. I've never had anyone say that to me before--they really think you shouldn't have long hair if you're short? Weird! :shrug:

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Strange, huh?

They said that it would make me appear even shorter somehow...:P that the hair would overwhelm me.

curlylocks85
February 17th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well I am 5'3" and when my hair was longer, a while back I did not come across anyone who said that to me directly. That does not mean they did not think about it though.

I will keep note of this as my hair gets back to longer lengths and find out if someone will say that to me. Of course, I would not believe this either.

natt i nord
February 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not a shortie, I'm the opposite (171cm - I'm sorry, I don't get your x'y" thing :D Maybe someone wants to explain? I'm open for PNs :)), but be glad you're a shortie in this case - you reach goals much easier! While I'm midback now you could have hip or more with my lenght ;)

I think it's rubbish to don't have long hair only because someone isn't tall. I even think long hair can make people look more tall. Or was it the other way around? Don't know. But - ignore such people ;)

coscass
February 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm 4'9'' and my hair is about to my waist now. I plan to grow it to hip length at least.

ArienEllariel
February 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I've heard this before, but I don't care. I may be 5' 1" but that doesn't mean I can't have long hair if I want to. :) I'll just have that Corgi look with classic length hair. ^^ tehehe

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hehe thanks and hey that is true! I never realized that before...

Good to know I will reach my goals faster. :) How exciting!

MandaMom2Three
February 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm 5 feet, one half inch. I DO think long hair makes me look shorter, but who cares, I gett hubby to reach things for me anyway :D

missjessiecakes
February 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm 5 feet, one half inch. I DO think long hair makes me look shorter, but who cares, I gett hubby to reach things for me anyway :D
This. Except I am 5'1" DF is 6'3" :D I will look short no matter what so eh.

Arctic
February 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
"They" will always tell others they are too something or too little something to do X or Y. Ignore and go after your dreams :)

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Aww, that is so cute. My BF is 6'3" as well!!! I just love him, and he adores me being short as well.
So it works out. :)

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
"They" will always tell others they are too something or too little something to do X or Y. Ignore and go after your dreams :)

Thank you! I will definitely go after my dreams... :)

luciole
February 17th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm 5'3'' and want to grow my hair long again (had waist length cut it to a bob and want hip length now).
I think short people with long hair look shorter and a wee bit weird but here is a thing:
I DON'T CARE

enfys
February 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm not a shortie, I'm the opposite (171cm - I'm sorry, I don't get your x'y" thing :D Maybe someone wants to explain? I'm open for PNs :))

" x'y" " refers to feet and inches. There are 12 inches (inches are represented by two dashes: " ) to a foot (feet are represented by one dash: ' ) There are 2.54cm to an inch. I'm 5'3", which is 63", which is 160cm. Sorry if I didn't explain it well!

And yes I'm short, and no my hair doesn't make be look short. Quite the opposite; since I wear it up all the time I can acually pile it high for the illusion of height. :cheese:

DH is 6'1" so yeah, it'll take more than a bit of backcombing to compete...

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm 5 feet tall on a good day. :D Yes, that comment is and has been made to me often. Also, because of the wavy/curliness of my hair, if I wear it down it can look a bit overwhelming and prompt more comments from people about cutting it. I just ignore. :)

khan
February 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I am 5'1" and when I had nearly waist length hair I have had many people tell me that long hair isn't right for "small people". Of course I don't agree with that.

:cool: I'm 5'2 & 1/2" . I consider myself - Perfectly Petite!!

I can't recall anyone who has said I shouldn't have long hair because of my height. Age....eh, maybe. I've got 56 years of life. :cheese:

JenniferNoel
February 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM
What about tall people with short hair such as myself, eh? :D

The thing that got me in to long hair is the fact that I need it. I'm 5' 7" with insanely long legs, and if my hair is any shorter than waist, I look really... weird. :rolleyes: Not bad, just... disfigured.

Sammich
February 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM

I'm 5,2 and people say I'm shorter than average, but I'm not that short. :p
I think long hair with 'small people' makes them look adorable! That's one reason why I strive for long hair, to prove them wrong! ;)
I haven't been told that though... :p I've seen a really really short girl at my school, about 4,11 or shorter with hip length hair (In a scene style but still...) and it was ABSOLUTELY adorable! :D

My bf also adores me short. :D And it's so sweet, I sometimes wish I was shorter because short people are adorablee!

MusicLady
February 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I am 5' 2" with waist length hair. I don't wear it down often because I want to protect the ends, but when I do, it's usually a half up. I think when the hair is away from my face it doesn't overwhelm me, and I can still enjoy the length. I'm kind of like "Cousin It" when it's all left loose.

walterSCAN
February 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm 5'3" and consider myself short... I've heard people say that long hair (and longer pants??) make short people look shorter, but it's never been said to me. I wouldn't care in any case because I like being short-- I think I'd actually be happier/feel more proportionate at 5'1" or so, but I've never been accused of being normal... ;) DF is about 6'2", also, so I get to feel short often enough. :)

All of that said, I don't really believe in the 'long things make you look shorter' stuff. It's never looked that way to me. :shrug:

violeteyes
February 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
One of the benefits of being short is that your hair looks longer ;) I'm about four eleven, almost five feet tall, and my hair would look much shorter on an average or tall person!

*Aoife*
February 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I'm about 5'2" ish. I don't know exact measurements :)
Funny, I know exactly how long my hair is and I'm not sure how tall I am!

ravensinger13
February 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm 5' 3.75" (161.9 cm) tall and don't really care what other people think about my hair length. I just realized the other day while combing that being short does help reach "landmarks" faster! yay vertically challenged!! (btw the term vertically challenged is not meant as an offense to anyone, just my preferred term for "short")

honeybrown1976
February 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm 5'2 and I could see where long hair could make you appear shorter. But, at least, our wait for hair growth is shorter.

Tovah
February 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I'm 5'2 1/2" tall. While I've been told that my face it too long for long hair, I was never told I was too short. I did have almost waist length hair when I was younger (till 30) How come only two other shorties gave their height in fractions of an inch? That 1/2 inch is sooooooo.....important.

I usually wear heels, and when I don't people are shocked at my height (or lack of)
Now I get comments that I'm too old for long hair, although someone at work said she just loves me with my hair pulled back and up. I value that because this woman is always impecably dressed and made up. I know-different topic.

I am almost a little old lady. :D

XJawbreaker
February 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm 4'10" and at BSL right now, and my goal is WL. Once I get there I'll see if I want to grow on from there!:D

windinherhair
February 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I am 5'4 with short legs, so I consider myself short since the standard pants are always too long for me. I have to shop in petite or "short" section. :)

I have never gotten negative comments regarding my height with the length of my hair.

guccixx
February 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I am 4'11" and I have long hair!! Haters will hate, that's what I say. I think long hair looks good on all types of bodies. IMO I like it best on really tall women because it's just like...WOW with their long legs and then all this long hair. I met one woman who was 5'11" and had this luxurious platinum blonde hair down to her tailbone. It was gorgeous.

TiaKitty
February 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm 5'4-1/2'', and I consider that short. I have TB length hair. I think it makes me look shorter, but so what? I like it! No... I LOVE it!

Shorty89
February 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I'm 4'11 & 1/2 :D I've always had fairly long hair. I think it makes me look Fae, sort of like a faerie or something. It doesn't make me look shorter. Actually, past classic I think it makes me look taller.

Pierre
February 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'm 1.50 m (maybe 1.51 in the morning) and my hair is approaching waist, but I usually wear it up, so I don't get that comment.

tralalalara
February 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I've never gotten the comment, but I've read it in a magazine.
It was in the same article that stated that short hair made fat people look fatter and tall people look taller.
I understand it as a balance issue, (and for the same balance I always pair tight jeans with flowy shirts or snug tops with a looser pant) and on a short person, long hair will be a gleaming angle pulling your image to the ground.

But high-waisted pants make us look taller, so would that counter the pull?

christine1989
February 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I'm short (5'2) and I am growing my hair long (again). The last time it was long I was only 5'0 and people actually noticed it more because I was really short. I think it can look great on anyone as long as it is healthy and thick enough :)

joyellen
February 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I'm 5'1.5" and I never considered that long hair could make me look shorter. To be honest, I like being short and if very long hair doesn't make me look taller, I consider it a plus. :D

shwankie
February 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
So, I didn't read the whole thread, but I am a shortie at 5-foot-nothing tall, with almost waist length hair. I think, and have been told, it actually makes me look taller and younger (I am 37, usually guessed at 25). I've never had anyone say it makes me look shorter, though. I honestly think it's mostly about feeling comfortable in your own skin. If you love your long hair and wear it proudly, the confidence will make you appear taller (IMHO). So, go for it!

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am 5' 2" with waist length hair. I don't wear it down often because I want to protect the ends, but when I do, it's usually a half up. I think when the hair is away from my face it doesn't overwhelm me, and I can still enjoy the length. I'm kind of like "Cousin It" when it's all left loose.

When I had long hair, someone called me cousin it once! :P

shwankie
February 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I'm 5'3" and consider myself short... I've heard people say that long hair (and longer pants??) make short people look shorter, but it's never been said to me. I wouldn't care in any case because I like being short-- I think I'd actually be happier/feel more proportionate at 5'1" or so, but I've never been accused of being normal... ;) DF is about 6'2", also, so I get to feel short often enough. :)

All of that said, I don't really believe in the 'long things make you look shorter' stuff. It's never looked that way to me. :shrug:

I feel the same. I actually look taller in ankle-length skirts, etc. Short skirts make me look shorter than I am by cutting off my lines. High waited pants also make me look shorter, against all common thought. I think a lot of is proportion as much as height.

PiroskaCicu
February 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm 5'1.5" and I never considered that long hair could make me look shorter. To be honest, I like being short and if very long hair doesn't make me look taller, I consider it a plus. :D

I agree! Being short is like being "fun-sized"... :D

Rhiannon7
February 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I am 5'3 and consider myself short. and yes i have been told that and other things. for some reason people think i straighten my hair. (cannot understand why people think that.) :rolleyes: :confused: I have been told short people should never have hair longer than shoulder length, that short, fat people should never have long hair because it makes them look fatter. :rolleyes: and so many more insulting comments i cannot and will never share here, (too insulting.)

It frustrates me to hear these comments. specially since some of those comments are not told directly to me but supposedly behind my back to others, but said so loud i can hear them. :(

At least i know that super long hair (below waist) on short women looks magnificent and it actually takes less time to get to my desired length than if i was tall. but i so wish i was tall....dreamed all my childhood and teens about being a airline flight attendant and cannot be one since i am 2 inches shorter than regulation demands. and i am not breaking my bones and lengthening them for what? 3 years just to make my dream come true, i'll settle for travel agent, less stress and more fun. :p

terryn
February 17th, 2010, 10:19 PM
5'2" here, although my hair is short currently, I am afraid that because I am overweight and short, long hair will look awful on me, one of the reasons I plan on wearing it up pretty much always, lol. It's just two things I have been told a lot, but also two things I have seen contradicted a lot, so we will see how it all comes together on me.

verene
February 17th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I'm 5'3" and while I've read in a few fashion magazines that short girls shouldn't have long hair, I've never had the comment made to me. I've had hair between BSL and waist, for most of my life, and am currently at hip. I've been told longer hair looks better on me; so maybe it is matter of proportion and attitude as well as height?

Prism
February 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM

No, I'm tallish. But how annoying--yet another "rule" other people try to put on you. Right now I have some wild white hair coming in around my face and ya know what? I just don't feel like doing the destruction to my hair or my wallet at the moment. And gosh, being over age 40 now, my hair is just pulling my face downnnnn and making me look so ollllld. Love it. I'm enjoying it. Anyone who complains can eat a hairball from one of my old brushes.

tinker bug
February 17th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm 5'3" and I have had people tell me I should cut my hair to look taller. Who cares--it makes us look more like fairies! :magic:

Keep It Flowin
February 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM

I stand at a towering 5' nothing... on a good day. I have most always had long hair! Except when I got tired of it getting caught on everything or people tugging on it like the reins of a horse etc. I cut it just below my shoulders, in high school. That is the shortest my hair has always been. I've never paid it so much attention as I see on this site! I've always just washed, brushed and grown "normally"!

YES I've had comments about having long hair and being of my stature. Not only am I short but I've quite petite ta-boot. I've heard things like I shouldn't have very long hair because it swallows me up, or looks like it's taking over etc.... so I can relate!

BUT
I have also had A LOT of compliments. People ALWAYS want to touch it. Hair stylists have given me the best/most compliments. I've never colored or permed my hair or done anything dramatic that is common amongst women. I have natural highlights that I've been told many ppl pay tons of money to have.

MEN LOVE IT
I'm quite a sarcastic lil thing and when I hear things like "nice hair" I just say "Thanks... grow it myself" which is actually quite funny to me because many girls also pay $$$ for weaves (yes even white girls) etc. In fact that's where I got my site ID from... I've learned black men love girls who grow their own hair (I guess those who dont have issues with it coming out at times?) I was in a store one day waiting in line when a black guy came in after me and asked if my hair was real. I replied yes and he said he loved that and told me to "keep it flowin' baby" :cheese:
Women's beauty is associated with their hair. A lot of people find/think most of a woman's beauty is in her long hair. Personally I think longer hair is sexier, especially on myself. I don't think shorter hair makes me look any better/taller.

Keep It Flowin
February 17th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm 5'3" and I have had people tell me I should cut my hair to look taller. Who cares--it makes us look more like fairies! :magic:
I love fairy hair! I had striven for hair like that for a long time. I used to get a "drastic" taper put into mine until a trip to a new state forced me to step into a salon where this girl misunderstood what I meant by taper even after extensive explaining. Not only did she taper it into the V shape she some how thought I then wanted it layered up as well! It ruined my hair, IMO. Caused damage that I have since been gradually growing out and cutting out. I've been thinking about going back to my drastic taper style. Long hair often seems to have a natural taper on many women due to the front/sides breaking off.

Keep It Flowin
February 17th, 2010, 11:14 PM
5'2" here, although my hair is short currently, I am afraid that because I am overweight and short, long hair will look awful on me, one of the reasons I plan on wearing it up pretty much always, lol. It's just two things I have been told a lot, but also two things I have seen contradicted a lot, so we will see how it all comes together on me.

I've never heard this about bigger people. I always thought the opposite. I think shorter hair makes the face look bigger/puff out. And puts an emphasis on the body... like the body tapers up because the hair is short and doesn't "balance" it out. If that makes sense...

meowmeow
February 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I'm 5 feet (or 152.4cm) and no one has ever said to me that long hair makes me look shorter, although I've heard it on tv and on some forums online. What's wrong with looking short?:confused:

At least I don't look ugly.

hahahaha

meowmeow
February 18th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Hahahaha I love this!

Rivanariko
February 18th, 2010, 01:01 AM
5'1 here, and I've never had a comment that I'm "too short" for long hair. It's kind of fun, actually, because I reach goals faster than my taller counterparts! I'm solidly at him now at 31.5", whereas some people are barely reaching waist at this length!

Leela613
February 18th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I´m 150 cm (5´) and I have got almost waist length hair. I have been told short people should never have hair longer than shoulder length, longer hair makes them look shorter and weird. Argh

Hiriel
February 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I'm 160cm/5'3 which is certainly short in Norway, and while my hair has never been super long, it's been around waist, perhaps a little longer, and no one ever commented on its length, or its length compared to my height.
My height however.. Gets commented on daily.. ;)

ETA: Rivanariko; no fair! ;) I'm only two inches taller than you, and waist on me is 30.5 inches! I have short legs, so what little height I have is all in my torso...

Naava
February 18th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I'm 5'3 and even though it's not like I'm really short, I have heard this comment from my mom + several hairdressers. Funny thing is that I only heard those when my hair was shorter, I guess they tried to warn me or something :D No one dares to say it straight to my face anymore.

The thing is that I don't mind looking like a small woman with a lot of hair. That's basicly what I want to look like :)

Pixna
February 18th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I'm 5 feet even and my hair is fluffy. When it was very long, I got a few Cousin It comments, which I found hurtful (even though I think Cousin It is rather cute). I'm growing my hair to "very long" again, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks this time around. Oddly, some people think my hair must be heavy, I guess because it's fluffy and looks thicker and heavier than it actually is, and they believe it must be difficult for a short person to carry around so much hair. Kinda weird, but that's their perception, not reality. I think short women can do anything we want, including having long (or extra-long) hair!! :smirk:

cmnt831
February 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Anyone who complains can eat a hairball from one of my old brushes.

This!! Seriously, this needs to be in someone's signature line.:D

Lora
February 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I got that several times too. I am 5'1". There have been several times where I followed that advice and I've come to the conclusion that I need to know what I like regardless of what the "rules" are :). If I keep listening to what other people think is "right" for me, I doubt I'll ever reach my goal to see how long my hair will get.

I was also told that I need layers framing my face because my long straight hair gives me a hard look and I look more masculine than feminine. My hair is approximately bsl so its not even that long LOL. Needless to say, I left my hair the way it is.

If you enjoy your hair as you have it, don't worry about other peoples comments. :)

noelgirl
February 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'm 5'3.25", and I've seen that "rule" in magazines but haven't had it said to me. But I think, I look short because I am short. Why pretend otherwise? It is what it is, so I might as well wear my hair the way I enjoy it most.

Sheltie_Momma
February 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I'm 5 feet 1.5 inches, with waist length hair. I have been told straight up that long hair makes me look shorter, the hemline creates a horizontal line etc. etc. I also have been told that my hair is too thick and is overwhelming to my face. I don't care, I'm growing it long anyway! I do put in some layers to soften it as it falls because otherwise I get triangle head big time but that's just my preference.

Sheltie_Momma
February 18th, 2010, 07:42 AM

YES! This exactly.

Forever_Sophie
February 18th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I'm 5'0" with waist length hair, haven't heard that (thankfully!). Oddly, a friend of mine in uni cut her super long hair to a pixie (she's maybe an inch taller than I am), and she seemed even smaller!

HairyCarrie
February 18th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'm 5'3" and so far I doubt anyone will say anything since I'm also pushing 60 years old. At this age most folks just believe I'm crazy so they know there's no point in saying anything!

As an aside, I feel like my longer hair makes me look taller. And I love how it's currently hiding my crepey-developing neck when I pull it forward. :gabigrin:

PiroskaCicu
February 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I'm 5 feet even and my hair is fluffy. When it was very long, I got a few Cousin It comments, which I found hurtful (even though I think Cousin It is rather cute). I'm growing my hair to "very long" again, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks this time around. Oddly, some people think my hair must be heavy, I guess because it's fluffy and looks thicker and heavier than it actually is, and they believe it must be difficult for a short person to carry around so much hair. Kinda weird, but that's their perception, not reality. I think short women can do anything we want, including having long (or extra-long) hair!! :smirk:

I think our hair is similar, in colour and texture because I got Cousin It comments as well. My hair is fluffy/wavy ish but it's really not as thick as it seems. I think long hair on short people is cute =D

Beansidhe
February 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I'm 5'1", and back when I had hip length hair (I wish I still did!) I used to get comments from people saying I was too short for it, and that it would look so much better if I cut it. It was mostly hair dressers and people who tended to be more trendy...so I just politely ignored them since they didn't understand why anyone would grow their hair that long in the first place.

I do think that very long hair is quite pretty on tall willowy women, but if having long hair really does make me look shorter I really don't mind. I *am* short!

greygoth
February 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm 5'0" and I think my TB length hair makes me look shorter. Oh well, I AM short. I don't care, I like my long hair.

I also know that my grey hair makes me look older. Oh well, I AM old. I don't care, I like my grey hair. : )

pepperminttea
February 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Although I'm not a shortie (5'10"), one of my first hair-inspiration friends was. She's about 5'3" and had gorgeous dark ash blonde 1A hair down to her hips until she had it cut to SL recently. I was forever in envy of it. :)

anemix1005
February 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM

ME! xD well... my hair is no long, I'm between apl / bsl, but my mom keeps telling me that it won't look good longer because I'm just 1.54 m tall n___n' and I'm almost 18

IttyBittyKitty
February 19th, 2010, 03:15 AM
And yes I'm short, and no my hair doesn't make be look short. Quite the opposite; since I wear it up all the time I can acually pile it high for the illusion of height. :cheese:

Oh i love that!Have to try it,kinda like wearing high heels but using the hair instead.:D

trillcat
February 19th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Im 5'2", and no one has told me I look shorter with long hair. When I lost my mind several years back and choped it all off into a pixie, I did not magically look 5'7" with long legs and a swan neck, lol. (actually I looked like a short little pumpkin head, but I digress) I was also told several times by others "Oh my gosh, you look so tiny now" (aka short) and was also told I looked life an elf, and not the tall willowy LOTR variety. :rolleyes:

ETA: My pumpkin head comment was not to suggest people with short hair look like pumpkin heads, just that I did, was so not a good look for me!

Pixna
February 19th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Im 5'2", and no one has told me I look shorter with long hair. When I lost my mind several years back and chopped it all off into a pixie, I did not magically look 5'7" with long legs and a swan neck, lol. (actually I looked like a short little pumpkin head, but I digress) I was also told several times by others "Oh my gosh, you look so tiny now" (aka short) and was also told I looked life an elf, and not the tall willowy LOTR variety. :rolleyes:

I can SO relate to that. The best "compliment" I received when I was pixified was that I looked like a little boy! Say what???!!! I'm in my mid-fifties. Looking like a "little boy" is supposed to be a compliment? Short hair only made me look, well, short. Like Enfys said, we can pile long hair on top of our head and look taller if we want to, but short hair does nothing to "balance" our short stature or make us shorties look tall (quite the opposite).

IttyBittyKitty
February 19th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I completely agree with the fact that short hair can make you look even smaller.i am5 ft 1 and had very short hair about 10 years or so,and i looked super petite and not one little bit taller.

Firefly
February 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Just over 5' here and my hair is at waist. I don't think it makes me look shorter, but I suppose others might think so! :shrug:

Keep It Flowin
February 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm 5 feet even and my hair is fluffy. When it was very long, I got a few Cousin It comments

I've heard Cousin It numerous times... I just told them I was more of a "thing" fan and flipped em off ;)

PiroskaCicu
February 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
LOL, I'll try that next time......

Keep It Flowin
February 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I'm 5'0" and I think my TB length hair makes me look shorter. Oh well, I AM short. I don't care, I like my long hair.

I also know that my grey hair makes me look older. Oh well, I AM old. I don't care, I like my grey hair. : )

I embrace my gray hair... after all, I earned 'em! Sometimes they shimmer, its my BLING!:cool:

Hiriel
February 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM

*thumbs up*
Of course, I'm too young to have a single grey hair, so I might not be entitled to an opinion, but I personally never saw the great shame in looking like you're fifty if you are fifty. Why would one want to look 20?

I also don't care if I wear something that makes me look short. Like you said, I AM short. Apart from when I can't reach things in the shelves in the grocery store, it doesn't bother me much ;)

Khiwanean
February 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I've never had anyone disparage my hair being long because of my height. I'm 5'2", by the way. Usually I just get "Your hair's so long!" It's only midback and I've seen a some people around here with longer hair. Not very many, but enough that I'm still sometimes amazed that I'm the one getting surprised comments because of my hair length.

Gothic Lolita
February 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm 5'0'' and my hair is a tad longer than tailbone. When worn down it makes me look shorter but I don't care. What looks worse is having it down with bunwaves. It's iii and all the waves and thickness make me disappear in my own hair. Doesn't matter - I'm growing it as long as I want to.

Gilraen
February 20th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I am a whopping 4'8 (or 9...I never remember my measurements from when I go to the doctor), and I am determined to grow waist-length hair and make it look great. As with any height, pulling off the length of hair you currently want has a lot to do with how you are proportioned, how you carry yourself, and how you style it.
Personally, I think that long, voluminous hair looks great on shorter/smaller people because it adds some contrast. And because of our small stature, we can actually pull off the "fairy-swimming-in-her-own-hair" look without looking like a wookie. We're like...pocket Rapunzels!

Not sure if all of that made sense to anybody but me, but the main idea is that, if you think it looks great on you, then don't worry about what other people say.

Ravenwaves 88
February 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM

I'm not short. I've always admired ppl with long flowing hair. Most ppl are short to my 6'0" stature.

I was just curious.....if short women look like fairies....what do tall women look like with long hair? Elves maybe? (LOTR of course) :D

PiroskaCicu
February 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm not short. I've always admired ppl with long flowing hair. Most ppl are short to my 6'0" stature.

I was just curious.....if short women look like fairies....what do tall women look like with long hair? Elves maybe? (LOTR of course) :D

Definitely elves! :)

Masara
February 20th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'm 5 foot tall (1m52) and I don't look as small as I am. People are always surprised when I stand next to them how small I really am. It's got nothing to do with hair length, I had the same comments when it was really short.
But I have a friend who is about the same size as me and she looks a lot smaller. She has TB length very thick 1a hair and I would say it does make her look shorter. I think the difference between the two of us, is that I have long legs and she has a long body.

So I think long hair can make certain body shapes look shorter. But I don't see why that would necessarily be a bad thing. Being short is part of who I am, just as having long hair is. I don't see why I would want to "disguise" my height. I got over any "being smaller than average" hang-ups decades ago.

Pixna
February 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM
You make a very good point, Masara. Even if long hair did make us look "short" or "shorter," so what? What's wrong with being short, anyway? Nothing...absolutely nothing!!! :smirk:

PiroskaCicu
February 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM
You make a very good point, Masara. Even if long hair did make us look "short" or "shorter," so what? What's wrong with being short, anyway? Nothing...absolutely nothing!!! :smirk:

I agree! I love being the way I am. :D

nowxisxforever
February 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Shortie at 5'1 3/4" here, and never been told that.

Demetrue
February 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Height or age is not a measurement of intrinsic worth or any other characteristic that would be important to me, so looking short, when I AM short, or looking old, when I AM old, has no bearing on what I choose to do with my hair. Shaving my head is not going to magically transform me into an NBA basket ball player :>)

Liss
February 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I consider myself average height at 5'4" (just a bit over short and a bit under tall) and I've never seen any evidence that long hair looks anything but stunning on both tallies, shorties and us in-betweeners.

I personally adore the look of a shorter woman with long, thick hair that envelopes them. To me it looks like a gorgeous, cosy security blanket to wear around. I love it when the hair completely swamps them.

merryhair
February 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I was in a store one day waiting in line when a black guy came in after me and asked if my hair was real. I replied yes and he said he loved that and told me to "keep it flowin' baby" :cheese: Now, I know where your username comes from!;):p

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Coming in a little late... :)

I'm 5'4"/162cm, and long hair doesn't make me look short, so much as... enveloped...

My hair is big. Fluffy. I'm petite/small-framed, but curvy. When my hair was long, the boys used to refer to me as "hips, t!t$, and hair". Picture a slightly less extreme version of Dolly Parton, with ginger/cinnamon-locked hairstyling a la Farrah Fawcett.

So, does it make me look shorter? No. Can it take over my stature so that people struggle to see my face and overall person? Yes.

This is why I'm in search of the Mythical Hairstyle Of Grooming - you know, the one that magically smooths out frizz and fluff, compliments your face, doesn't overwhelm your frame, maintains all that beautiful length, and doesn't rely on products or heat styling?

Yeah, that. :disgust:

Princess Kitti
March 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I agree! Being short is like being "fun-sized"... :D

Lol I love this - being 'fun sized'! Great way to look at being short! But for all you saying at 5'2-5'3 you feel short - I am only 4'8!!!! 5'2-5'3 is tall to me :p

Pixna
March 8th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Lol I love this - being 'fun sized'! Great way to look at being short! But for all you saying at 5'2-5'3 you feel short - I am only 4'8!!!! 5'2-5'3 is tall to me :p

Hahaha! I hear ya! Well, I'm 5 feet even, so I know I'm tall compared to you. :smirk: But I'm short compared to those over 5 feet (5'3" seems tall to me!). I have a sister who is 4'11" (though I actually think she is shorter than that) and a friend who is 4'10", so when I hear people who are over 5'3" say they are short, I kind of just shake my head. Guess it's all relative, though! :p

Irishred
March 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I am 5'2". Never considered my self short until I met an married my 6'1" hubby THEN moved into a house with a kitchen that has 10 foot ceilings and I cannot reach things on the top shelf of the lower cabinets, THEN our teen is now 6'1" and growing.... and I am getting to old to climb the cabinets LOL ... Now I consider my self short.

My hair like my clothes shares nothing with my height other than where things fall on my body.

young&reckless
March 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
:wethree:Me, me, I'm little bitty!

At 5 foot 2 inches with hip length hair I have what I like to call cousin it syndrom.

I love it though, I got to my hair goal way faster because if it.:cloud9:

Leneveu
March 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm 5'2".

A hairdresser once said to me (after lopping off five times the amount of hair I asked her to cut) "When you walked in here your hair was just too big for your body"! :roll: :mad:

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hahaha! I hear ya! Well, I'm 5 feet even, so I know I'm tall compared to you. :smirk: But I'm short compared to those over 5 feet (5'3" seems tall to me!). I have a sister who is 4'11" (though I actually think she is shorter than that) and a friend who is 4'10", so when I hear people who are over 5'3" say they are short, I kind of just shake my head. Guess it's all relative, though! :p

Yeah, at 5'4" I think I barely qualify as "short" - more like "shorter side of average". But since I'm little in build, my overall impression is "small", so I think the Hair Vs Stature question has relevance to me. :)

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
A hairdresser once said to me (after lopping off five times the amount of hair I asked her to cut) "When you walked in here your hair was just too big for your body"! :roll: :mad:

:steam Grr..! That makes me seethe... Where do hairdressers like that get off?!? They're providing a service - they're they're to do as you ask, not just bestow upon you what they think you ought to have, in a Deux Ex Machina gesture of grandiose magnanimity! I hope you didn't pay that particular hairdresser!

I guess that just makes good hairdressers that much more of a treasure. :flower:

BranwenWolf
March 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm 5'2" and people are constantly reminding me that this height is short. I don't have a light build though, I have pretty big shoulders for a woman.

My hair was nearly to knee when I was 16, now steadily growing back to that length. I'm around tailbone now.
I didn't think I looked good with shorter hair, at least I gave it a try.

IndigoAsh
March 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm 5'2 and I was told the same thing. In fact my mother insisted I keep my hair short since I was 3. I don't know why I listened to her.

Pixna
March 8th, 2010, 02:56 PM

What a dreadful thing for someone to say to you!! That's awful!! :grouphug:

Laylah
March 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
5'0''/152cm here with 32''/81cm hair...lol more than half my height! I love having long hair, regardless of height.

squee
March 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I am 5'1 as well, and I haven't gotten that yet. :)

BrightEyes7
March 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I consider myself short 5'3"... and with hip length I've never had anyone say it was just for tall people. I think it is cute... It's like I'm all hair! I love it!!

Feline
March 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Good grief, who makes all these silly "rules"?

I'm 5 ft 1.5 inches. I have been told that I am too short to wear my hair long, too old to wear my hair long, and "too professional" to wear my hair long. (This last came from my sister, who has some serious issues with my hair.) I don't see any reason why long hair should be bad on short people. I think it's just another excuse "some people" use to try to get us to cut.

OK, end of grumpiness :cheese:

elliebean184
March 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I'm 5'2" and also married to a 6'+" guy. I like my hair long- it's easier to manage than short! And I do like reaching goals sooner, though I have to grow it longer than it looks dry since it's curly.
My mom insists on short hair too. She says it's because it makes her look taller. (Oh, the 80s....) hehe

CrowningGlory
March 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm just over 5'1" and have ridicuously short legs and yet I'm often amazed at the number of people who insist I look taller than I am and then when they're proved wrong, attribute the illusion of height to the long hair.

So it seems that being short and having long hair can be a good thing. :)

IcarusBride
March 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'm also 4ft9in! I have BSL hair now :D
Hurrah for being short. I really love being short.

hufsa
March 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I am 160cm/5'3". That is ca 3" or 8 cm shorter than the average in Norway (168cm) for women.

I have heard this, but I also hear people guessing that I am taller than I am.. So I guess attitude also couts for a lot!

Ivy~Rose
March 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I'm 5'2 and I'm usually the shortest person in the room. In high school, I grew my hair to nearly hip-length - I stopped being "the short girl" and became "the girl with the long hair"! I loved the change.

I try to find shirts and sweaters that are longer than average to give the illusion of more height, but since I don't like heels, it's just an illusion ^^

redmj
October 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I just had to resurrect this page. I am a shortie (5ft.) and I often get told my long hair makes me look shorter. Not that I care one iota.

AlabasterAlice
October 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Oh WAH. I will wear my hair long, because I like it. My long hair is a part of me. I know some women just think it is pretty, and some women would say it is "just hair", but the longer my hair gets the more and more it feels "right". I'm aiming for hip length, healthy hair, because that feels like it fits me. If someone wants to argue with me on what petite people can and cannot do, they can take it elsewhere. :)

mom2fourgirls
October 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm 5'3'' and want to grow my hair long again (had waist length cut it to a bob and want hip length now).
I think short people with long hair look shorter and a wee bit weird but here is a thing:
I DON'T CARE

I did the same thing.. Had hair past waist and cut it to below my ears.. Now hair is past my shoulders.. can't wait to be waist again :) I am 5"2

JuliaDancer
October 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Have any shorties out there actually cut their hair short and had people comment on how tall they look all of a sudden? I doubt it. If you're short, you're short. I don't think having shorter hair will trick anyone into thinking you're taller. I'm 5'-2.5", so I don't think I'm that short, but still shorter than most caucasian women. I get the "you're so cute and little!" comment when I show up for belly dance gigs, so I guess I qualify for short. I'm somewhere between hip and tailbone and I think it looks great! I love long hair on anyone, short or tall.

bunzfan
October 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm 5ft 2 and i wonder if i reach hair milestones quicker because i'm so short. When i was younger and had long hair my mother delighted in telling me because i had a lot of hair it overwhelmed my small body and little head.

infinity_girl
October 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I am a shortie (5'1"). I don't really understand what people mean when they say long hair is not for short people??? Why?

Orangerthanred
October 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm short, and I look horrible with short hair. It makes my head look small and my shoulders look huge (I already have wide, boylike shoulders, so that doesn't help]. I plan on growing my hair to waist length.

supercupcakexx
October 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'm only about 4'11", and although my hair isn't that long, I think long hair can look super cute on shorter people. I used to go to high school with a girl around my height with the most gorgeous waist length hair, and it looked really good on her.

As with any height, pulling off the length of hair you currently want has a lot to do with how you are proportioned, how you carry yourself, and how you style it.
Personally, I think that long, voluminous hair looks great on shorter/smaller people because it adds some contrast. And because of our small stature, we can actually pull off the "fairy-swimming-in-her-own-hair" look without looking like a wookie. We're like...pocket Rapunzels!

^This. And pocket-Rapunzels is hilarious. :laugh:

But I do agree that, while short hair can look good, long hair can be very nice on more petite girls. And the contrast can be really cute and add to that "faerie" look, too.

Astrophil
October 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm 5'3" and I feel pretty short most of the time. I definitely didn't look any taller with a pixie cut. I've heard the "short people shouldn't have long hair" thing as well as various clothing style tips like "petite women shouldn't wear long skirts or big prints." Absolute bollocks, the lot of it. Even in heels I look like a short person in heels. Who ever said tall is better?

luxepiggy
October 20th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I'm 5'0" and I've learned from experience that certain lengths make me appear extra short. While I know I'll never be mistaken for a tall person, there is still something to be said for *not* looking like a munchkin, KWIM? (^(oo)^)v

It's all about understanding and working with vertical body proportion! A good rule of thumb is to consider where your most flattering clothing hemlines fall. For example, I look best in tops that end between hip and tailbone, and that's a very flattering hair length for me as well. In fact, I like to wear my most flattering shirt and use it as a guide when I self-trim.