PDA

View Full Version : If Oil Removes Oil, How Does it Work to Moisturize Hair in Shampoo?

pinchbeck
February 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
If jojoba oil or other chosen carrier oil is added to shampoo, does it cling to natural hair oil (sebum) and remove it thus leading to dry hair as it rinses down the drain? Or does it have the ability to both by adding oil (to drier ends) and remove unwanted oil (on our scalp and root area)?

spidermom
February 17th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Oil removes oil? I don't think so.

pinchbeck
February 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Oil removes oil? I don't think so.I read this on TLHC. Some people stated that they used oil to wash their face to remove excess oil because oil clings on to oil. I dunno, we'll see what others say.

BelleBot
February 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
It doesn't remove oil as such, but it clings to and lifts the dirt, and when you rinse it off, the excess oil goes with it. But it still does leave clean oil on your face/hair which the skin/hair will absorb. Hope this makes sense.

Fractalsofhair
February 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I think it depends on the oil. Jojoba oil is like our skin's natural oils, so I don't think it will remove it. Castor oil might remove some oils, but I'd think it might be drying overall.

teela1978
February 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
The oil cleansing method (OCM) on the face works pretty well... I don't think you can really do oil cleansing of the hair without ending up with a greasy mess though.

OCM generally utilizes a hot washcloth to remove excess oil at the end of the process, leaving only a small amount of oil (if any) on the skin. Not so feasible to do that on hair.

pelicano
February 18th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I once tried the OCM on my hair as an experiment. What a greasy mess! :D

Jojoba oil works perfectly well in the OCM for picking up grease and grime - you don't have to use castor. I personally use grapeseed these days.

catysue
February 18th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I think the 'oil removes oil' concept is only for skin. I mean, imagine that you spill some oil on your carpet. Pouring more oil in it probably isn't going to help, haha. The skin is a complicated organ that works in strange ways... when applied to the skin, oil DOES dissolve hardened sebum and grime. But I don't think applying oil to your hair will remove your hair's natural oils... almost everyone here oils their hair.

pinchbeck
February 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I once tried the OCM on my hair as an experiment. What a greasy mess! :D
I hope people understand I am curios to know if adding these oils to shampoo either removes precious oils or helps to add it because I wouldn't want to be adding expensive oils to my shampoo to find out they're being rinsed down the drain. What a waste!

tralalalara
February 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I think using a shampoo with oils would add the oil to your hair, not take it away, much like how a 2-in-1 shampoo moisturizes and cleans.

But would using a shampoo with fancy oils in it make CWCing redundant?

Thinthondiel
February 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I've started using a shower creme with oils in it as a shampoo. It cleans the hair - i.e. if my hair is greasy and sebum-y beforehand, it removes that (although I'm pretty sure it's the SLS that does that, not the oils). But it will leave a sheen of oil on my hair, which I find makes it a lot less drying than regular SLS shampoos.

RavennaNight
February 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I always thought conditioner removes oil better than shampoo. I don't quite understand putting oil in shampoo...:confused::confused::confused:

Madame J
February 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Oil dissolves oil. You need to do something else to remove it. In OCM, the hot wash cloth does the work of breaking up and removing excess oil. It also conditions the skin to not produce as much oil because the surface has a light coating rather than being dry and unbalanced, as other cleansers can do. Oils added to shampoo probably either do nothing, or else leave a light coating of oil on the hair after being cleansed, to prevent the hair from feeling stripped.

pelicano
February 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I've started using a shower creme with oils in it as a shampoo. It cleans the hair - i.e. if my hair is greasy and sebum-y beforehand, it removes that (although I'm pretty sure it's the SLS that does that, not the oils). But it will leave a sheen of oil on my hair, which I find makes it a lot less drying than regular SLS shampoos.

I sometimes do this too, just to make the shampoo less drying.

pinchbeck
February 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I always thought conditioner removes oil better than shampoo. I don't quite understand putting oil in shampoo...:confused::confused::confused:
If this is the case or maybe it can't?

Ash
February 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Conditioner works better than shampoo to remove oil in my hair.
If I put oil in my shampoo I would have really greasy looking roots because I only shampoo my scalp and eventually the hair there would probably get very dry because the buildup of oil would lock out moisture.

pinchbeck
September 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I always thought conditioner removes oil better than shampoo. I don't quite understand putting oil in shampoo...:confused::confused::confused:I often see company's adding oils to their shampoo. This week I came across a company that is adding babassu oil to their formula and it says on the bottle that is it 'moisturizing'. I hope these are not false claims.

spidermom
September 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
What I've read is that shampooing opens the cuticle a bit (water does that, too) and helps the oil penetrate to where it can do the most good on a molecular level, replacing eroded essential fatty acids.

swearnsue
September 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I wish I had a degree in chemistry. Good grief. So the poster wants to know about the most economical way to add expensive oil to her hair? From what I'm reading, she could use a gentle non cone shampoo with warm water, rinse, thus opening the cuticles, then put a tiny bit of oil on her hair while in the shower, then vinegar rinse with cold water to close the cuticles which locks in the oil where it is needed?

Bluegrass Babe
September 15th, 2011, 04:30 PM
pinchbeck,

Oil is added to shampoo because this helps it absorb more easily into the hair shaft. This has the benefit of keeping the hair from absorbing the usual amount of water, which means hair will dry faster, not be as suseptible to humidity that causes frizz, strenghten the hair shaft against breakage, and make hair glossier.

That is IF it is a penetrating oil. Jojoba oil is not a penetrating oil. Actually, it a liquid wax, not a true oil.

I would not add any expensive or hard to get oil until further research is done. I think jojoba oil would just be rinsed away.

Coconut oil is the only oil to have been proven to penetrate into the cortex of the hair shaft. 90%, if I recall correctly. There are other oils that penetrate some, I think olive oil is the next closest. (Jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here!)

I highly recommend you read through the movie star shampoo thread, I think it's under the title "Hair care of movie stars of the past". And the thread "Discuss oil shampoo". There are others, but they escape me at the moment. Sorry.

ktani has done extensive research on coconut oil and has all the scientific
studies on these benefits. I'm sorry I can't put in the links now, I'm not at my laptop. (At least this will give you practice on the search function!) Good luck!