PDA

View Full Version : Every braid I attempt on my own hair turns into a Dutch braid?

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
A fellow LHCer and I were discussing how whenever we've tried to make French braids in our own hair it always turns into a Dutch braid. Anyone else have this problem - or perhaps we are the only ones who have this particular braid fail going on? Is there any cure for this or will we have to be resigned to making Dutch braids for the rest of our lives? :o Help? :flower:

natt i nord
February 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
You just have to put the hairstrands over each other and not under - then you'll get a French braid ;)

GoddesJourney
February 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Agreed, over not under.

Gumball
February 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'd have to agree with what's been said. The only difference between the two is Dutch has outside strands going under the center one, while French has the outside strands going over the center ones. It's just wrapping your mind, and then your [already trained and acclimated] fingers. around that difference. Good luck!

Khiwanean
February 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Like others have said you have to cross the strands over each other instead of under to do a french braid. That's the only difference between the two.

Sammich
February 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I have exactly the same problem, I'm glad this was addressed. LOL.
I have proof in my err.. albums! :p
Thank you for posting it and thanks for your replies guys. :D

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
You just have to put the hairstrands over each other and not under - then you'll get a French braid ;)

Oh, boy - that's what I thought I was doing. Hmmm..I'll try doing opposite, then. :p

Agreed, over not under.

Thanks! I tried your head massage the other night and it put me to sleep. :)

Ravenne
February 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I had the opposite problem! :p I learned french first, then once I tried dutch it always turned into a french braid. I finally got the finger pattern down, but my dutch braid always turns out really loose. It's really easy to get the two mixed up when you're doing it on yourself. :o But yeah, just keep going over instead of under. Like a mantra in your head. "Over.. over.. over.." Haha!

walterSCAN
February 17th, 2010, 11:05 AM
You know, I was just thinking about starting a thread on this... I can't seem to help braiding upside down (dutch instead of french... that's how I think of it) when I'm doing it on my own head. On other things, not attached to me, I braid right side up. :shrug: I learned to braid really young, and it's just automatic for me to do it that way... I have yet to do a real french braid-- it's too hard! ;)

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I'd have to agree with what's been said. The only difference between the two is Dutch has outside strands going under the center one, while French has the outside strands going over the center ones. It's just wrapping your mind, and then your [already trained and acclimated] fingers. around that difference. Good luck!

Therein lies the problem - getting used to doing something that feels backwards. :p

Like others have said you have to cross the strands over each other instead of under to do a french braid. That's the only difference between the two.

I'll be lucky if I can get a braid that's one or the other now. Cross-bred French/Dutch or something.... ;)

I have exactly the same problem, I'm glad this was addressed. LOL.
I have proof in my err.. albums! :p
Thank you for posting it and thanks for your replies guys. :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one - you can join our club for people who inadvertently braid Dutch - or some such nonsense. :p

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I had the opposite problem! :p I learned french first, then once I tried dutch it always turned into a french braid. I finally got the finger pattern down, but my dutch braid always turns out really loose. It's really easy to get the two mixed up when you're doing it on yourself. :o But yeah, just keep going over instead of under. Like a mantra in your head. "Over.. over.. over.." Haha!

I'm going to need to keep chanting to myself. I know I'm going to make some sort of hybrid mess out of it now. :p

You know, I was just thinking about starting a thread on this... I can't seem to help braiding upside down (dutch instead of french... that's how I think of it) when I'm doing it on my own head. On other things, not attached to me, I braid right side up. :shrug: I learned to braid really young, and it's just automatic for me to do it that way... I have yet to do a real french braid-- it's too hard! ;)

I'm glad this thread is helping out. :) You can join our inadvertent Dutch braiders club (uh, support group?) too. :D

mellie
February 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
A fellow LHCer and I were discussing how whenever we've tried to make French braids in our own hair it always turns into a Dutch braid.

I'll admit it - it was me! :waving:

It's funny too, I know perfectly well how to make a French braid and can do it on someone else, and can even get it started right on my own head, but then it always ends up Dutch anyway! :D

I swear, I have nothing against the French!! :D

Anje
February 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
"Over" means to pass the strand with the added hair farther away from your head than the main braid. Does that make any more sense?

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'll admit it - it was me! :waving:

It's funny too, I know perfectly well how to make a French braid and can do it on someone else, and can even get it started right on my own head, but then it always ends up Dutch anyway! :D

I swear, I have nothing against the French!! :D

Chant the mantra quoted above, "over, over, over..." I'm going to try later and see what happens. We're not alone in our affliction. :D

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM
"Over" means to pass the strand with the added hair farther away from your head than the main braid. Does that make any more sense?

I think so. In that case, I believe I've been passing the strand with the added hair under the hand that's holding the other strands and so it's closest to my head; but it should be going over the strands that my other hand is holding? Is that right?

spidermom
February 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I think so. In that case, I believe I've been passing the strand with the added hair under the hand that's holding the other strands and so it's closest to my head; but it should be going over the strands that my other hand is holding? Is that right?

Exactly. (too short)

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Exactly. (too short)

Ah, thanks! That's a beautiful spiderweb in your avatar. :)

yellowchariot
February 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
What I have noticed with braiding or anything other style for that matter, is the way you first learned. If you learned the "under" method, then it may be somewhat subconsciously dominant than doing the "over" method. I can Dutch braid (under method), however it takes me longer, because I have to think and concentrate extra hard :D.

I've also noticed this with french twists, sometimes you can tell if a person is left or right handed based upon which side the twist/roll is on, and the direction they have learned to twist their hair. Some people have the talent to do anything in any direction with their hair. (We call them, Jedi Masters) Just remember, to feel the force, and don't be blinded by your feelings, allow the force to guide your hands and fingers, and not cloud your judgment :luke:

Hope this helps! :D

rags
February 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I learned how to French braid as a teen. I never had any problem with it. Then last year I learned to Dutch braid. Now I can't French braid without going very slowly and being aware of every step (and still half the time turning it into a Dutch halfway through) Then if I get used to doing French ones again, I can't do Dutch! :rolleyes:

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
What I have noticed with braiding or anything other style for that matter, is the way you first learned. If you learned the "under" method, then it may be somewhat subconsciously dominant than doing the "over" method. I can Dutch braid (under method), however it takes me longer, because I have to think and concentrate extra hard :D.

I've also noticed this with french twists, sometimes you can tell if a person is left or right handed based upon which side the twist/roll is on, and the direction they have learned to twist their hair. Some people have the talent to do anything in any direction with their hair. (We call them, Jedi Masters) Just remember, to feel the force, and don't be blinded by your feelings, allow the force to guide your hands and fingers, and not cloud your judgment :luke:

Hope this helps! :D

Yes, and I bow to them.... So, it's the force that makes you have such awesome braiding skills, huh? I'll have to look into that.... :D

I learned how to French braid as a teen. I never had any problem with it. Then last year I learned to Dutch braid. Now I can't French braid without going very slowly and being aware of every step (and still half the time turning it into a Dutch halfway through) Then if I get used to doing French ones again, I can't do Dutch! :rolleyes:

Would you like to join us in the braiding support group? :D

mellie
February 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, Rags, join us! :D

Hiriel
February 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I made a Dutch braid for the first time a few days ago, after having been doing English braids for ages, and French braids for some months. Getting used to passing the strand under instead of over required a shocking amount of concentration. Unbelievable!

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hiriel: This is what I'm kind of dreading. It already takes me an inordinate amount of time to do a Dutch braid or English braid. I can see it taking twice as long for a French braid just because of the extra concentrating. At least now I know that this is a more common problem for people and not just that I'm hair-challenged or something. :)

MandyBeth
February 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I can twist my hair with either hand - attempt at proof in photo album, twisted with left hand counter clockwise, pinned right to left.

HOWEVER, try as I might, I can not French braid my own hair at all. Dutch, yes. Dutch is easy. I can get the idea on a French braid down - and even sort of attempt one with a lace braid. But either I forget and go back to Dutch, or it's too loose and falls out. Dutch, those are easy to get super tight and then they stay.

*fills out a membership card*

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I can twist my hair with either hand - attempt at proof in photo album, twisted with left hand counter clockwise, pinned right to left.

HOWEVER, try as I might, I can not French braid my own hair at all. Dutch, yes. Dutch is easy. I can get the idea on a French braid down - and even sort of attempt one with a lace braid. But either I forget and go back to Dutch, or it's too loose and falls out. Dutch, those are easy to get super tight and then they stay.

*fills out a membership card*

You're in! :flower: Don't even get me started on my twisting issues....:o

Juneii
February 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
you aren't alone! I had NO idea there was a difference until I watched a video and realized that the reason why the french braid looked so smooth was because the strands went OVER and not UNDER!
I kept that little thing to myself and pretended I knew the difference the whole time to everyone else ;]

natt i nord
February 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Ok, now I had to try it.

I brushed my hair and started to braid.
Firstly I did a French one, which I didn't to for months - here (http://s7b.directupload.net/file/u/19427/r8umby4x_jpg.htm) it is. Then I took it out, brushed again and did a Dutch one. Here (http://s7b.directupload.net/file/u/19427/hrmcxsqx_jpg.htm).

Well, the Dutch one could be better - but they are recognizable, right? I always knew I was a genius! :p

Sorry the pics are so big, but I was too lazy to cut them in place.

Ok, I admit I cheated a bit - I did some oiling and had to re-do the Dutch one twice, but... :p

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
you aren't alone! I had NO idea there was a difference until I watched a video and realized that the reason why the french braid looked so smooth was because the strands went OVER and not UNDER!
I kept that little thing to myself and pretended I knew the difference the whole time to everyone else ;]

See, I was going to do this, too; but, Mellie said we needed a support group and I should start it. So much for pretending now....:p

Ok, now I had to try it.

I brushed my hair and started to braid.
Firstly I did a French one, which I didn't to for months - here (http://s7b.directupload.net/file/u/19427/r8umby4x_jpg.htm) it is. Then I took it out, brushed again and did a Dutch one. Here (http://s7b.directupload.net/file/u/19427/hrmcxsqx_jpg.htm).

Well, the Dutch one could be better - but they are recognizable, right? I always knew I was a genius! :p

Sorry the pics are so big, but I was too lazy to cut them in place.

Ok, I admit I cheated a bit - I did some oiling and had to re-do the Dutch one twice, but... :p

Yes, you are a genius - at least compared to me.;) I can see the difference in your braids at least. At this point I'd be happy if mine just looked like braids at all. :p I tried to follow the advice and made a big confused mess on my head. So, I tried a Japanese bun instead - ah, much better!:D

teela1978
February 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Me too. I automatically braid over rather than under. Which is kinda good... I think a single braid looks better at the start when its done over vs. under. I can dutch braid, but it takes so much more mental effort that I rarely bother.

mellie
February 18th, 2010, 03:51 AM
See, I was going to do this, too; but, Mellie said we needed a support group and I should start it. So much for pretending now....

Haha, anyway it makes ME feel better to know there are others out there!!! :D

Natt i nord, your braids are lovely and definitely noticeable as French and Dutch. Very nice and neat.

At this point I'd be happy if mine just looked like braids at all. I tried to follow the advice and made a big confused mess on my head.

Yes, this!!!

Not quite Dutch, not quite French....Dunch!!!

tralalalara
February 18th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I don't know if I've ever been able to do a french braid in my own hair..

I can do dutch and english without thinking or looking, so maybe I'll try french today?

Pierre
February 18th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I do Dutch braids, but the first time I tried they came out Belgian. So if I tried an English braid it'd turn out Frisian. Anyone do a Norman braid?

mellie
February 18th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I do Dutch braids, but the first time I tried they came out Belgian. So if I tried an English braid it'd turn out Frisian. Anyone do a Norman braid?

Haha, awesome!! :D

cmnt831
February 18th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Haha, anyway it makes ME feel better to know there are others out there!!! :D

You're right - I'm glad glad to know there are more of "our kind" out there. :p

Not quite Dutch, not quite French....Dunch!!!

Heh, heh - good word for what my hair looked like after.

I don't know if I've ever been able to do a french braid in my own hair..

I can do dutch and english without thinking or looking, so maybe I'll try french today?

Let us know how it goes. :flower: I certainly hope you have better luck than I have so far. Everyone gave such good advice and it seems logical that I should be able to follow it.... Maybe I should just make French braids in theory and leave it at that.:p

Haha! :D

trillcat
February 18th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I am another one with the opposite problem, I can do a French braid no problem, Dutch, it's a fight to the death to get one in my hair without it looking crooked and a mess. My brain knows what to do, sadly my fingers just will not cooperate! It is the worst when I bring the braid around to the front to finish, in what should be the easy part, that's when the brain just goes "Nope, going to erase all memory of over and under, left and right from you now, sorry for the inconvience" :rolleyes:

cmnt831
February 18th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I am another one with the opposite problem, I can do a French braid no problem, Dutch, it's a fight to the death to get one in my hair without it looking crooked and a mess. My brain knows what to do, sadly my fingers just will not cooperate! It is the worst when I bring the braid around to the front to finish, in what should be the easy part, that's when the brain just goes "Nope, going to erase all memory of over and under, left and right from you now, sorry for the inconvience" :rolleyes:

I think you qualify to be in our support group.:D See, this is what I'm afraid of: that I'm already *too set in my ways* to learn a new braid.

mellie
February 18th, 2010, 08:45 AM
It is the worst when I bring the braid around to the front to finish, in what should be the easy part, that's when the brain just goes "Nope, going to erase all memory of over and under, left and right from you now, sorry for the inconvience"

Haha, yes, THIS!! :D

Anywhere
February 18th, 2010, 08:53 AM
that happens to me too. My hands would rather go under for a dutch braid than over for a french one. If i go really slowly and think hard about it then I can get a decent french braid done.

cmnt831
February 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Anywhere, that makes me think that there's hope for me. :flower:

mellie
February 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Haha, yes, and me!

yellowchariot
February 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM

My Dutch braids are usually smoother than my french one's because you can't see the strands of hair that are bumpy, when crossing them under instead of over.

I've always thought that the Dutch braid looked like a Mohawk. So I've always called it the Mohawk braid. Because it sits on top of the head, and it reminds me of a Native American/Ancient Warrior type of style used for battle. I wore my hair like this when I mowed my Grandma's yard. When I approached the yard, riding the Great Dane Chariot, the grass practically got up and ran away from me :hatchet: When I fired up the Craftsman hedger, thorns coward behind the bushes. Then I'd fire up the weed-eater with the "braided" wire cutter (see braids are useful with everything). NOTHING in that yard, stood taller than an inch from the ground! :guns:

cmnt831
February 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I've always thought that the Dutch braid looked like a Mohawk. So I've always called it the Mohawk braid. Because it sits on top of the head, and it reminds me of a Native American/Ancient Warrior type of style used for battle. I wore my hair like this when I mowed my Grandma's yard. When I approached the yard, riding the Great Dane Chariot, the grass practically got up and ran away from me :hatchet: When I fired up the Craftsman hedger, thorns coward behind the bushes. Then I'd fire up the weed-eater with the "braided" wire cutter (see braids are useful with everything). NOTHING in that yard, stood taller than an inch from the ground! :guns:

OK, that's it, I'm sticking with the Dutch braid....

mellie
February 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Haha, fierce!!! :D