PDA

View Full Version : My hair keeps trying to almost dreadlock suddenly! HELP!!

StephanieB
February 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/StephaniesPix/Me/SEB_2-27-10_2.jpg

I've noticed something 'new' about my hair lately. I don't know what has made the change, nor do I know if I really like it.

Once washed, as it air dries, it... well, it spirals rather tightly, almost looking like loose dreadlocks. It starts from about halfway down my length, and just... spirals up.

I haven't changed anything that I can think of in my hair care recently. I've been using Verseo Hair Plus shampoo and conditioner (which has made my hair nice and shiny and soft, and seems to have helped it to grow faster... not any thicer, but faster). I occasionally use beer rinses, other times cidar vinegar rinses, and once in a while I do an SMT. That's it. I never blowdry it, nor do I rub it with a drying towel; I just pat/blot the top of my head with Diva Darling towel, and then gently press the length of my hair in the DD towel.

A couple of weeks ago, I did have about an inch and a half cut off, at the ends were really badly damaged from a few years ago (my last perm) - and I just bit the bullet and had them trimmed, a blunt trim.

If anything, the blunt hemline ought to prevent spiralling, oughtn't it?

I have rather thin hair, and not a lot of it, and it's baby-fine... so what I'm getting is 6 or 7 or 8 dread-like curls.

Combing them with my ususal seamless wide-tooth comb isn't dog anything to remove the spirals for longer than 10 minutes, and then they just spiral up again. I have to brush them with a boar bristle brush, and then they stay relatively hanging with only my lifetime loose S-waves. But they curl up again, at night, while I sleep! I have to brush again in the morning, to keep them un-'dreaded' for the day!

What the hell is going on?
WHY is this happening?!

ericthegreat
February 17th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Does you particular brand of conditioner have any cones in it? Perhaps your hair is matting up because of the cones. I'm thinking perhaps you have a lot of buildup, and that's why your hair is sticking together. You may want to do an ACV rinse even more frequently, maybe say twice a week and make rinse your hair out very thoroughly with warm water. That will clarify your hair and remove all the possible buildup that is causing your hair to matt.

Also, you may want to start oiling if you aren't doing that already. Coconut oil has proven to soften up and untangle just about every hair type, that might be your magic weapon! Either coconut oil or jojoba oil(since jojoba is similar to human sebum) is very good for your hair.

Armelle
February 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Another idea is to stop doing one thing of your hair care regimen for a while, to see if your hair improves? Also, make sure you are getting ALL of the shampoo and conditioner out of your hair. That middle back spot on my head is so very hard to wash thoroughly.

My hair dreds naturally (maybe everyone's does, I don't know). I have to be careful with it during the summer when it's hot and humid and during the winter when it dries out and I try to over-compensate with conditioner.

On a side note, I've noticed that my hair is getting curlier as I get older. :shrug: Beats me as to why. Could this be what's happening?

LaurelSpring
February 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
On a side note, I've noticed that my hair is getting curlier as I get older. :shrug: Beats me as to why. Could this be what's happening?

This has been happening to me too. I thought it was just because I quit using cones. The grays are coarser, but my regular hair seems to have more wave now also.

cmnt831
February 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
This is what my hair does, too. I thought it was normal. I just try to work with them and make them look pretty. :)

StephanieB
February 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
No gray in my hair yet...

No change in any product, nor in the ingredients list & order on the products (I thought to check the last)... hubby was a chemist, so they're not listing any change on labeling, not even just a word change.

I went cone free less than 2 years ago, for 6 months, and it made no difference to my hair, so I went back to cones and didn't worry about it... but this isn't new.

My hair doesn't mat into real dreads... it's baby-fine and slippery as hell. It just spirals into deep spiral curls that visually mimic dreads. If you finger a sprial, my hair slips right out of the curl... then falls back ito a spiral a short while later.

I have extremely oily hair so I wash it - every third day - with the same shampoo I've used for quite a while now. If I oiled my hair, it'd need to be washed daily!

That shine you see in my avvy is hours after washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner, not using any leave-in product at all, and just doing a quick one-two-three twist and pinning it. That's just my natural oily-even-after-washing hair shining. It's disgusting, but true. Even when it's squeaky-clean, it's oily-shiny. I can't mat the shine down any, no matter how hard I try, and I've been trying to tone that look down for 48 years, now. I've even put talc in it, at times, to make it look less greasy-shiny.

I have't changed a darn thing, except for the blunt-trim. What could be causing this?

Or is it possibly just a natural change with age?
I am 48... and changes happen to women about this age.

No, CMNT, my hair looks more like narrow dreads than your spirals.

Next time I wash - probably tomorrow, unless I let it get disgustingly greasy. I'll see if a neighbor can take a pic of it, so you all can see what I'm talking about.

spidermom
February 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I love it when my hair spirals up on me. It doesn't happen very often at this length, though. Humid weather contributes to it, plus I think your trim removed some weight and damage that was preventing it from curling like it wants to. To prevent it, you could blow-dry on cool while combing (brushes pull too much, I think).

xoxophelia
February 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
To me, it sounds like you should rethink your hair type.

Try doing this.. wash your hair, in the shower with a wide tooth comb, brush it just enough to part it. Put on a bathrobe or something and do not touch it until it is dry. See what your hair does :)

StephanieB
February 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Gee, I hadn't thought of that, spidermom.

I'll have to call my mother and ask her if she remembers what my hair did when it was long. It's been about collar length (or shorter) since I was about 10... maybe 9... when mother forcibly cut it and kept it cut shorter, because she didn't want to deal with my screaming when she detangled it nightly after washing.

Until 18 months ago, I hadn't had long hair for nearly 40 years.

Maybe my mother remembers if I always had spiral curls. I know she still remembers all the drama that led up to the haircutting, and afterwards, when I refused to eat for weeks in protest and sulking. She might recall what my hair was like long... or her own (she had long hair as a child). My hair is just like hers. (only she has kept it shorter than chin-length for many decades)

That was the last time I ever complained about anything to my mother, too... that was seriously traumatic. I used to scream when she hit tangles, and cry that she was hurting me (she was). She told me a few times over the course of several weeks that she was getting tired of fighting with me about combing my hair out, and if I didn't stop the tantrums, she would take me to have my hair cut short. I didn't stop, and she did drag me to her hairdresser to have it all cut off. When I stopped eating in sulkiness, after a couple of weeks and I didn't eat yet - my father force-fed me (literally) until I ate on my own again. To this day, I still can't force some foods down my throat, I just gag and get pukey. I never knew why that was, though, until a few years ago... when I happened to mention it while visiting my parents... and my father got a really guilty look on his face, and asked me to say what foods I couldn't swallow again. He looked pretty upset when he told me that those were the foods that he remembered for sure he had fed to me "when [I] stopped eating in protest"... He didn't have to say what he was talking about; it only ever happened once. I hadn't even remembered that. I mean, I remembered the incident, just not any specific foods.

Maybe my hair always spiraled when it was long... I no longer remember much about having long hair. I've blocked most of it out of my memory.

StephanieB
February 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Try doing this.. wash your hair, in the shower with a wide tooth comb, brush it just enough to part it. Put on a bathrobe or something and do not touch it until it is dry. See what your hair does :)
That's just what I'm going to do.

spidermom
February 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM

No - don't brush it at all.

Best results (I think): Comb conditioner through, hair going straight back, then rinse. Don't do anything with your hair after that; let it air dry. (now waiting for hair-typing pictures)

Sabayon
February 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I used to scream when she hit tangles, and cry that she was hurting me (she was). She told me a few times over the course of several weeks that she was getting tired of fighting with me about combing my hair out, and if I didn't stop the tantrums, she would take me to have my hair cut short. I didn't stop, and she did drag me to her hairdresser to have it all cut off.

Oh man, I put my mom through the same thing when I was little. I used to scream so loud when she brushed my hair that she was genuinely worried about the neighbors calling Child Protective Services. Around fourth grade or so she just declared I could comb my own hair, but I didn't because it hurt. Eventually it developed into this massive bird's nest and I had to cut my hair to just below chin length. Since then I always detangled in the shower with lots of conditioner and otherwise left my hair alone until it was dry.

I would suggest you try oiling your hair after it dries. I find this gives my hair much more slip and weight and prevents some of the tangling that fine hair is prone to. So far I like coconut oil the best, but I have also used peanut and sweet almond oil with success.

countryhopper
February 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM
could it possibly be protein overload?

I seem to remember reading something about "troubleshooting" your hair (was it in the articles section here? or in the archives?). Anyhow, it mentioned that if your hair looks "bunched up" and looks as if you could even brush it that it might be too much protein. I think it was suggested to clarify, which you could do either by using a clarifing shampoo or by dilluting baking soda in water and using that. If you go the baking soda route, be sure to follow up by rinsing with dilluted vinegar or tea so your hair doesn't end up feeling like straw.

Hope that helps!

Twil
February 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hair spirals from the bottom up, in my experience, so when you cut off the last of the damage ends, the loss of a damage weight made your curls spring up. For the dreading, you probably just need better definiton. Conditioner and a good comb will do that. A brushing will just fuzz out the curls and cause them to dread up.

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
If someone doesn't know what I can do to make this disgustingly ugly rat's nest look better, I am going to give serious consideration to cutting it off back into a chin-length bob.

I hate my hair's sudden inexplicable spiral curls.
I hate the frizz.
I hate how thin it is I am beginning to hate it, and hate how it - and I - look.

I hate how it breaks off around my face - and especially at my temples - no matter what I do to baby it.

I hate it's color... and I just found a few grays to hate, too!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/StephaniesPix/Me/SEB_2-27-10_2.jpg

This was the day before yesterday - just air-dried after a wash with my ususal shampoo and conditioner, and a vinegar rinse to clarify it and soften a bit.
(don't anybody bother to tell my vinegar doesn't clarify - it has always clarified my hair just fine and dandy)

Believe this or not - I just had a blunt cut trim to rid my hair of damaged ends (1 1/2 inches off) due to a very old perm. There is no perm left. Those ends are blunt cut (or they were a week ago)! They're not prefectly even - old layers... but blunt.

Nothing in it (no leave-ins), and I only pat dry with a DivaDarling towel, and let it hang to air dry fully. As always.
Virgin color. No perm, no chemical treatments. Just what God cursed me with.

I hate hate HATE my hair!

Twil
February 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Comb in the shower, upside down then rightside up. When you get out, toss in some conditioner (leave in) and leave it alone. The combing will detangle and the conditioner will keep them from twisting around each other to much

ETA: it also looks reallly good naked too.

spidermom
February 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Your hair type looks like 2C or 3A to me, definitely not 1C/2A. To my eye, it's pretty.

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Twil, I do use a very both a wide seamless plastic "pick" and either a wide-toothed non-seam plastic or a horn comb (I have both - whichever is nearest to hand) in the shower.

I comb it upside down to detangle with the pick, first, then the comb... then I flip it back/upright, use the wide pick, and then the comb.

My hair doesn't tangle that much... that's one of the reasons why I love using the Verseo Hair Plus shampoo and conditioner.

I use a bit of silicone on just the very ends to keep the frizz down, but only after it's mostly dry or totally dry. (I hate it if I use too much and it gets 'greasy', so I don't apply it when my hair is very wet anymore.)

I don't use any protein treatments on it - never did.

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
ETA: it also looks reallly good naked too.

Your hair type looks like 2C or 3A to me, definitely not 1C/2A. To my eye, it's pretty.

Well, thanks, anyhow.

Anybody want it?

I really hate it right now...

spidermom - you think so? 2C or 3A??

Anybody else please? Maybe I mis-typed it originally, since I still had the old perm in much of it, back then... hmm

cmnt831
February 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I agree with Spidermom. 2c/3a, maybe solid 3a even, and it looks really pretty to my eye, too. :flower:

SimplyViki
February 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your hair, it just looks curly to me.

NiAosSi
February 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Ditto, it looks quite shiny. When it gets a bit longer it will hang better.

I don't see anything wrong with your hair, it just looks curly to me.

aahavaa
February 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Stephanie I don't see anything wrong with your hair at all.It reminds me of mine but maybe even a bit curlier.You look like a 2c or 3a to me.
Mine has a tendency to dread esp at the back at the bottom and even matt if I wear synthetic fabrics.But since I rarely wear them that isnt a problem for me.Acrylic esp created matts for me.
As others have said try coconut or jojoba.My hair also can look greasy very fast but I found those two if used in tiny amounts wont leave it looking oily.OR try them pre wash.When the weather warms up Ill slather my hair in coconut oil prewash and it washes out great.Cant say the same for other oils though.
Hang on in there you have lovely hair!

Amraann
February 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I think your hair looks very pretty.

Before you decide to cut it off please remember the 2 week rule.
It really does look nice. I do not see frizz just curls.

I had pin straight hair as a child, to my thighs.
Not a curl in the mix.

About 6 years ago it suddenly became curly.
I just go with it.

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Ditto, it looks quite shiny. When it gets a bit longer it will hang better.
Oh - from your mouth straight to God's ears!

I pray you're right.

My hair grows sooooo slooooowly. But it's been growing faster since i started using the Verseo products... so now that the split damaged dead endss are off/gone - maybe it'll grow fast come wam spring weather.

You look like a 2c or 3a to me.

Hmmm. Might be time to change my profile...

2C/3A (???)
still thin (ponytail measures just over 2 1/4 inches)
about 21 1/2 inches long at it's longest layers

Mine has a tendency to dread esp at the back at the bottom and even matt if I wear synthetic fabrics.But since I rarely wear them that isnt a problem for me.Acrylic esp created matts for me.
As others have said try coconut or jojoba.
I do occasionally use SMTs...

Do you mean just a bit of plain oil on only the very ends, after washing it?
Apply it wet or dry???

I have both Afrikan Republic shea butter and Organix coconut oil - both high quality food grade.
Which might be better to use just plain on the end tips?

Hang on in there you have lovely hair!
Yeah.Well, thank you. I'll try to tought it out...

At least it parts anywhere I want it to.
Given it's own choice, it center parts, dead center.
But if I part it with a rat tail fine-toothed comb (after it's dry, but just-washed) - it will hold that part until I move it/re-part it/comb that part out or differently.

And it's always baby-silky-fine and soft as... as soft as... as anything I've ever felt.
And I used to be a historical costumer, so I have handled many MANY fabrics of all sots, over the decades.

ZaBasDa
February 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
It looks pretty and curly, probably 2c or 3a too. My hair can look like that if I don't use leave in products. I'd try leaving in a little bit of conditioner or oil, maybe even gel if you wanted.

eta: I'd try applying the oil on wet hair because it usually soaks in a bit better for some people. And I'm not sure which would work better for you. I tend to just use whatever I have on hand for oil and still have decent results. But you should try them out and see what works for you.

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Before you decide to cut it off please remember the 2 week rule.

It took me a year to give in and let my neighbor (a hair dresser with her own salon in her basement) cut off the obviously-dead ends from old perm damage.

I won't do anything to it in a hurry.

My neighbor, Mary, keeps begging me to let her cut several layers into my hair, for much more body... she says I can always let it grow long in layers 'if I insist'.

I know she'll give me a good haircut, should I give in and cut... she always has done nicely by my hair. ('nice' in terms of well-done cut that looks good and is easy for me to keep, and good for my hair tpe)

However, like I said, I have zero intention of doing anything in a hurry, or at the spur-of-the-moment.

I'll just keep it up in clips, back in ponytails, in sock buns, and occasionally in small/moderate victory rolls with curled under length in back. I French twist a lot with combs or forks for accents. I ask Mary to Fench braid it occasionally. I own Fakkares (and one Ficcare), which I almost never use - except in the shower to keep my hair up out of my way while I do other showerly duties. Sad use of a real Ficcare, isn't it? sigh I just never get my hair up into anything worth using a Ficcare for, really. Too short & thin for any kind of bun other than a sock bun...

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I took another look at the examples of Fia's hair typing... at the 2C and 3A pix.
My hair seems to resemble Snowymoon's (in term's of curl) more than anybody else's... although her's is obviously much thicker than mine is.

At least I'm in 'good company'. lol :eyebrows:

I do seem to have 2C/3A. (somwhere in between... when it's between BSL and Waist, I should be able to tell better/more)

It is definitely i/ii and definitely Fine. (fine as the finest of baby's hair and just as soft) and my ponytail only measures just over 1 1/4 inches around)

Time to change my profile from my old wrongly typed 1C/2A...

Thank you, everybody - for your help, and your encouragement, and your kind words.
You're ALL the best! :D

Thinthondiel
February 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
My neighbor, Mary, keeps begging me to let her cut several layers into my hair, for much more body... she says I can always let it grow long in layers 'if I insist'.

You say your hair is thin... if she cuts layers into your hair and you grow it long with layers, your hair will be even thinner towards the ends. Is that something you want?

ETA: I second ZaBasDa's advice about leaving in some oil, conditioner or gel, if you haven't tried that already. I think maybe you're just annoyed with your hair because you expect it to behave like wavy hair when it's actually curly. It doesn't look bad at all, you probably just need to treat it like curly hair (maybe check out some of the threads on how to care for curly hair and how to make the curls look neater/more uniform). :)

StephanieB
February 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
You say your hair is thin... if she cuts layers into your hair and you grow it long with layers, your hair will be even thinner towards the ends. Is that something you want?

ETA: I second ZaBasDa's advice about leaving in some oil, conditioner or gel, if you haven't tried that already. I think maybe you're just annoyed with your hair because you expect it to behave like wavy hair when it's actually curly. It doesn't look bad at all, you probably just need to treat it like curly hair (maybe check out some of the threads on how to care for curly hair and how to make the curls look neater/more uniform). :)

No, I meant layers around my face only. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.

Yes, I did expect my wavy hair to behave like wavy hair... so now I have to learn all about CURLY hair - since that's what I apparently really have! lol

manderly
March 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
Yes, I'd say you have hair like mine. If I don't coax the curls out, it dries into a weird style where it's limp and kind of straightish at the top, then tighter curls along the bottom.

They key for me is to pick what I want my hair to do. If I want waves, I either comb it and loosely damp bun or just let it dry combed. If I want curls I have to add my product and gel, and scrunch upside down. I HAVE TO BE SURE TO GET GEL AND SCRUNCHING CLOSE TO MY SCALP TO MAKE SURE IT "MATCHES" THE LENGTH.

It's a hard thing to come from thinking you have just frizzy/wavyish hair to realize you have wavy-curly hair. It took me a good long time to come to terms with it, and there are days I still hate those stupid curls, that's when it goes up in a bun :)

StephanieB
March 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
At least I can get it to lie straighter by brushing with a BBB - only just some stubborn curl at the very tips of the ends. I can live with that.

I put the tiniest spritz of silicone or melaleuca (tea tree oil) on my BBB, and brush the ends first, then the whole thng from scalp down. The bit of silicone keeps major frizzies from winter's dryness and static electricity from happening, but doens't do much to add extra 'grease' to my oily hair and scalp.

This pic was taken yesterday morning, about 10AM, right before I left home for Mass.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/StephaniesPix/Me/SEB_2-28-10-2.jpg

Hey - at least I don't look too bad for someone just weeks short of her 49th birthday. :-)