PDA

View Full Version : SLS and cone-free shampoo didn't clean my hair

oroborus
February 17th, 2010, 08:53 AM
So pretty much about 4 weeks ago (maybe more) I switched to a SLS and cone free shampoo (urtekram). In the first couple of weeks all seemed well, it made the outer layer of my hair slightly dry, but I didn't mind because I have greasy hair. I was expecting my hair to be all weird for a couple of weeks because of the switch, but it was actually ok. Then, last week, my hair started to never feel clean, it look and felt greay all the time, even after washing it, like it never fully dried. My hair became all pasty and gross :cry: to the point where my mother "made me" wash my hair with a commercial SLS shampoo to see if it would make it better. Well, at least now my hair feels clean (but super dry!).
The thing is, I've been to take care of my hair the best way possible: I oil it, detangle carefully, went cone and SLS-free, and even though my ends seem to love it, my scalp is looking greasier than ever.
It's so ironic that before I wasn't particularly careful with my hair and it looked good, but now the more careful I am with it the worst it looks :confused: So I was wondering if anyone can remotely relate to my problem, or if you guys have any advice for me, because I'm pretty beat at this point, don't know what else to do :|

Thanks in advance everyone :flower: (and sorry for the long text!)

Merkaba
February 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had the same thing happen to me- it's a build-up of parabens from the SLS free shampoo. I used Trader Joe's Shampoo for a while and everything was awesome, then it started to feel waxy, and it clumped and never fully dried after a shower. The fix is a simple vinegar rinse, and if you'd like a diluted shampooing with regular SLS shampoo. I hope this helps!

chopandchange
February 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM
All I can say is, it's hard finding something that works for both your scalp AND your hair.

Do remember it's fine to just experiment and do whatever works for YOU. You don't HAVE to oil your hair and go cone-free and use kitchen products like honey just because other LHCers do. Try things one by one, and if they don't work for you, go back to what you were doing before.

Personally, I found that oiling and going cone-free did not work for me. The oil only made my hair - well, oily! and led to far more tangles and breakage because dust and fluff would stick to my hair. Going cone-free didn't work for me either. You don't have to do these things if they aren't working.

From the sound of it, it sounds like you have a scalp that gets greasy quickly and does need shampoo, but your hair could do without the shampo, because it dries it out. Maybe condition-shampoo-condition might work for you? I've never tried that, but there are lots of people on here who do it. I think it involves slathering your hair in conditioner BEFORE you shampoo your scalp, so that your hair is protected when the shampoo suds are running down it, then applying more conditioner afterwards to your hair...but I'm not really sure! I know there's a link somewhere that explains it.

Either that, or using conditioner only (whether cone-free or cone) might work. The way you describe your hair pretty much describes mine before I started using just conditioner - greasy scalp, dry hair. Now my hair is silky and my scalp doesn't get greasy nearly as fast.

Whether you use SLS and cones is entirely up to you. Just go with what works.

aisling
February 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
You don't have to use just one product, one certain method. I like to mix and match and I also use Urtekram shampoo, it's nice and mild but if I only use that all the time, my scalp turns gunky, it needs some harsher shampoo. I just give it that then every now and then, it's not really a problem in my opinion.

Ursula
February 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Some people do better with sulfate shampoo. That is just how their hair and scalp are, and if it works for them, that is fine.

Have you read my "Standard Newbie Advice" article? You may have fallen into one of the traps I warn about, making a bunch of changes at once (dropping 'cones, adding oils, going SLS-free). When someone has a problem I generally recommend going back to your last successful/stable routine, and sticking with it for a few weeks, to go back to a baseline you know before starting to experiment again.

And then no more than one experiment at a time, and no more than one change every two weeks. Slower, if you prefer. So you can know the effect of each change, before trying the rest.

What your mother had you do is what is called a "clarifying wash" around here. "Clarifying" is the occasional use of a stronger-than-normal wash technique, to remove buildup. It can be a healthy part of a hair routine. Good results from clarifying don't necessarily mean that you need that type of wash all the time. It is just a tool in your hands for dealing with a particular sort of issue when it happens.

spidermom
February 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
chopandchange described CWC (condition-wash-condition) exactly right. I use that method unless I've given my hair a generous oiling. Then I simply shampoo and condition, although I almost always dilute my shampoo in about 1/2 cup of warm water and shake well. I saved an empty shampoo bottle for this. It seems to work better than plain old full-strength shampoo, which I think is because I can squirt the solution all over my scalp and get better coverage over the entire scalp.

My hair still gets pretty oily in about 3 days after washing, but even mild shampoo diluted will clean it and my scalp. Again, I think it's because I get such good coverage over my entire scalp. Or maybe I just have an extremely non-fussy scalp.

oroborus
February 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I had the same thing happen to me- it's a build-up of parabens from the SLS free shampoo. I used Trader Joe's Shampoo for a while and everything was awesome, then it started to feel waxy, and it clumped and never fully dried after a shower. The fix is a simple vinegar rinse, and if you'd like a diluted shampooing with regular SLS shampoo. I hope this helps!

That makes sense. Thank you so, so much for replying, that certainly gives me hope! I'll be sure to try that. I would think if there was any build up then the sls-free shampoo wouldn't work right from the beginning, but I guess these things that their time.
Once again, thank you very much, I was about to give up :o
:grouphug:

oroborus
February 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
All I can say is, it's hard finding something that works for both your scalp AND your hair.

Do remember it's fine to just experiment and do whatever works for YOU. You don't HAVE to oil your hair and go cone-free and use kitchen products like honey just because other LHCers do. Try things one by one, and if they don't work for you, go back to what you were doing before.

Personally, I found that oiling and going cone-free did not work for me. The oil only made my hair - well, oily! and led to far more tangles and breakage because dust and fluff would stick to my hair. Going cone-free didn't work for me either. You don't have to do these things if they aren't working.

From the sound of it, it sounds like you have a scalp that gets greasy quickly and does need shampoo, but your hair could do without the shampo, because it dries it out. Maybe condition-shampoo-condition might work for you? I've never tried that, but there are lots of people on here who do it. I think it involves slathering your hair in conditioner BEFORE you shampoo your scalp, so that your hair is protected when the shampoo suds are running down it, then applying more conditioner afterwards to your hair...but I'm not really sure! I know there's a link somewhere that explains it.

Either that, or using conditioner only (whether cone-free or cone) might work. The way you describe your hair pretty much describes mine before I started using just conditioner - greasy scalp, dry hair. Now my hair is silky and my scalp doesn't get greasy nearly as fast.

Whether you use SLS and cones is entirely up to you. Just go with what works.

You're right, of course. :agree: I'm still trying to find out what's best for my hair. Actually, I started doing some sort of CWC and think that my ends are looking a lot better, just need to figure out what my scalp likes :p
Regarding CO, I always thought it would be right for me because it would make my scalp even greasier…but I’m probably wrong. I’m just a newbie :P Do you use conditioner all over your hair or just on the length?
Thank you for replying :wink:

Arctic
February 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Urtekram shampoos are not sulfate free, actually, and technically they are not even SLS free, because chemically the sulfate they use, sodium coco-sulfate (SCS), is same as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).

Here is an INCI of Urtekram Lavender shampoo as referance:
URTEKRAM LAVENDER SHAMPOO - For all hair types.

INCI: Aqua, aloe barbadensis gel, cocamidopropyl betaine, coco-glucoside, sodium coco-sulfate, glycerin, sodium cocoyl glutamate, lavendula angustifolia extract, citric acid, lavandula angustifolia oil, geraniol, linalool, limolene.

Note that the sulfate is fifth ingredient, while it is usually second after water, so Urtekram shampoos are much milder than regular shampoos, so as others have said, that might lead to build up. But parabens, no, Urtekram does not use parabens, and I have not heared them causing buildup, they are preservatives.

teela1978
February 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM
The thing is, I've been to take care of my hair the best way possible: I oil it, detangle carefully, went cone and SLS-free, and even though my ends seem to love it, my scalp is looking greasier than ever.
It's so ironic that before I wasn't particularly careful with my hair and it looked good, but now the more careful I am with it the worst it looks :confused:

I'd start from scratch. Ursula's advice to newbies is a good place to begin. Your hair looked better with your previous routine? Switch back. Start with small changes, and if they don't work go back to what did.

Personally, my hair does best with sulfate shampoo (I get little pimples on my scalp when I go sulfate free). I do dilute as spidermom describes, and that plus moderate cone-usage works very well on my hair. Good luck finding what works best for you :)

*Aoife*
February 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Do you use conditioner all over your hair or just on the length?

Just on the length. I find SLS free shampoo doesn't clean off my conditioner fully. So I've started only conditioning the length. I find it gives my hair an extra day before I need to wash it again, so I'm sticking with not conditioning my scalp.

Have you clarified? If you have build up of cones on your scalp and the hair on your scalp the SLS free shampoo mightn't be working as well. I use apple cider vinegar. Just pour a little over your scalp and work in on the length. You can also use normal vinegar if you can't find any other find. And yes, it smells but you don't notice the smell once your hair dries.

Good luck with your hair quest :)

ravenreed
February 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
It took me quite a long time to find a routine that was successful for me. My scalp HATES SLS shampoos, but occasionally my ends seem to need a bit of clarifying with it. Go figure- that seems to be the opposite of everyone else. I dropped shampoos for CO, and but there are plenty of people who cannot get CO to work for them. Do what makes your hair (and scalp) happy. Just be prepared to experiment a bit to find out what that is. As Ursula said, it is better to try one new thing at a time. However, I tend to be too impatient to give new things enough time before trying something else...

Elenna
February 17th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Live and learn! It took two years for me to wise up, so you are not alone. My scalp reactes to shampoos with SLS by shedding, but my hair being fine needs a good cleansing. And non-sls shampoos are ok but not as cleansing for me. So what I do is CO wash and clarify every so often with Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo. Works like a charm! Hair and scalp are happy.

Um Enis
February 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I know I'm not very encouraging, but I've tried probably 10 various times to go SLS and/or cone-free... and I gave it months and months... never did work for me...

oroborus
February 18th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I'd start from scratch. Ursula's advice to newbies is a good place to begin. Your hair looked better with your previous routine? Switch back. Start with small changes, and if they don't work go back to what did.

Personally, my hair does best with sulfate shampoo (I get little pimples on my scalp when I go sulfate free). I do dilute as spidermom describes, and that plus moderate cone-usage works very well on my hair. Good luck finding what works best for you :)

I did get pimples on my scalp as well! Especially along my hair line. I had already read Ursula's newbie advice, but I'm a bad newbie and didn't pay enough attention :shake: Now, I'll humbly get back to my previous routine, but still incorporating some of the changes that I made that worked :) Well, I guess I had to learn the hard way eheh

Thanks for replying! I love it here, I always learn something new from everyone ;)

Ursula
February 18th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I did get pimples on my scalp as well! Especially along my hair line. I had already read Ursula's newbie advice, but I'm a bad newbie and didn't pay enough attention :shake: Now, I'll humbly get back to my previous routine, but still incorporating some of the changes that I made that worked :) Well, I guess I had to learn the hard way eheh

Thanks for replying! I love it here, I always learn something new from everyone ;)

You're not bad.

It is advice, not a rule. And it is an article primarily because I'm lazy, and got tired of typing out the same thing repeatedly for many newbies. Not because it is in some way an official LHC recommendation.

AgnesONutter
February 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I started using Urtekram's No Perfume shampoo because I wanted something very, very basic as a starting point to see what my scalp likes and not and because I hoped an allergy tested, mild shampoo might help a bit with my seborrhoea.

It does work reasonably well for my scalp. At least it is not making matters worse, which is a good thing. However, it does not work for my hair over all. I just wash my scalp with it, but it still manages to leave my lengths sort of dry and tangle prone. An ACV rinse might work, so will try that next time. The good things is that it truly is gentle, and that it gives my hair lots of volume and helps with shedding.

What I cannot figure out, is why my lengths is covered in build-up despite first using a no silicone SLS shampoo to clarify before starting with Urtekram, and a conditioner without silicones in it. My brush gets this grey edge, that must be buildup of some sort, after I brush my hair which is gross! Do I just need to shampoo my lengths more frequently, or wash out the conditioner better?

aisling
February 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It's a common disbelief that only cones build up. Other ingredients do too, like conditioning agents in conditioners, waxes and oils, but I haven't heard and find it hard to believe that parabens would build up. Anyway, a cone free routine is not a grant for build up free hair, if your hair, like mine, is prone to build up. Washing the length with a good sulfate shampoo every now and then should take care of this.

oroborus
February 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
You're not bad.

It is advice, not a rule. And it is an article primarily because I'm lazy, and got tired of typing out the same thing repeatedly for many newbies. Not because it is in some way an official LHC recommendation.

Oh I understand that, making an article is a much easier way to spread your knowledge and it also makes it easier for everyone to consult whenever they need without having to look for a thread :p
I just said I'm bad because I feel silly for my mistakes and erroneous assumptions and also because, you know...you spend your time making a very informative article for newbies like me not to pay attention eheh that's not fair to you. :o