PDA

View Full Version : is it possible for CO wash to be drying?

nytquill
February 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I stopped using sulfates because they gave me crazy scalp itch. I have a sulfate-free shampoo that so far hasn't given me any trouble, and I've given CO wash a few tries off and on and I think I like it. I was hoping it would be moisturizing for my scalp since I seem to have a lot of dry-skin flakes (probably a lot to do with dry winter air too - really need to buy a humidifier for my next apartment!)..but this last time was the first time I'd done CO twice in a row without a regular shampoo in between and now all of a sudden the scalp itch is back! Not as bad as before but definitely there.

Technical information: My washes are 2-3 days apart (or more sometimes if I don't have to look presentable for work!). I use LiveClean shampoo when I shampoo, and Suave naturals conditioner (strawberry) as condish, CO, and leave-in (length only). I did also finish my last shower with a blast of cool water since I'd had it hotter than usual to relax myself. I went to bed not long after, scalp and ends mostly dry but the thickest parts of my length still a bit damp. No itch last night but definitely this morning after I got out of bed!

So is it possible for CO to cause dry skin itch or is it more likely I'm reactive to something in this conditioner like I was to SLS? Or...option 3, sometimes my back will itch like crazy and when I scratch it it just gets worse, until I have scratched it for a certain amount of time at which point it stops on its own; I think this is some kind of circulation issue, like increased bloodflow makes me itchy or something. Could it possibly be circulation itch on my scalp as well? I just noticed now after doing several minutes of scritching and massage my head feels a bit hot from having been messed with so much, but the itch seems to have calmed down a good bit.

bttrfly857
February 17th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Have you tried clarifying? If something's coating your hair then the conditioner won't do its job.

nytquill
February 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I did baking soda in my shampoo about a week ago I believe, maybe 10 days. My hair did seem better afterwards if a bit dry for the first day or so, so I know I need to do it regularly now. I can't really clarify with SLS shampoo anymore though because of the scalp problem, even diluted I react to it. :(

Carolyn
February 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Two things come to mindhere. First that baking soda is very harsh and drying. If you are going to clarify with a baking soda and shampoo wash then use need something more moisturizing than Suave conditioner. The second thing is that you might want to try something other than Suave. I find Suave to give me more build up than VO5 or White Rain. You might want to try a different conditoner for the first C of CO. If I have some scalp itchiness I use a tea tree shampoo. I dilute it and usually one or two washes with it takes care of the itchiness.

Trixie
February 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
When I started out with CO, my scalp really itched too! I was never really sure why, but eventually it adjusted and the itching mostly stopped. I second the recommendation about trying another conditioner for the wash at least - for me, V05 and White Rain are both "thinner" than Suave and seem to wash off of my scalp easier (if that makes sense). Hope you find a solution for the itching! :)

jera
February 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I did baking soda in my shampoo about a week ago I believe, maybe 10 days. My hair did seem better afterwards if a bit dry for the first day or so, so I know I need to do it regularly now. I can't really clarify with SLS shampoo anymore though because of the scalp problem, even diluted I react to it. :(

Apple cider vinegar is clarifying without being drying like baking soda. Do you like in a cold dry climate? Winter itch could be partly responsible for what you're experiencing.:)

Sissy
February 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
The second thing is that you might want to try something other than Suave. I find Suave to give me more build up than VO5 or White Rain. You might want to try a different conditoner for the first C of CO.

Ditto, this is excellent advice. I also find V05 and White Rain to leave less build up than Suave. Suave leaves a waxy buildup on my hair sometimes, V05 is my favorite (the Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying V05 conditioner is great). Suave or V05 or White Rain alone would not be very moisturizing. For the second conditioner in your CO washing routine try something really moisturizing (maybe GVP Moisturizing Balm (Biolage Generic), the GVP Humuctress Moisturizing Conditioner generic, Yes To Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner (that's my favorite and is pretty moisturizing), Jason or Aubrey Organics. Japanese Camellia Hair Care Oil has helped to moisturize my ends too, I just use three drops of it throughout my hair length as a leave-in after CO washing.

If I have some scalp itchiness I use a tea tree shampoo.

Ditto again. Tea Tree Oil should be very good for this. There are some nice organic tea tree oil conditioners. You could try Giovanni or Dessert Essence, they both make a tea tree oil conditioner. You could buy some Tea Tree Essential Oil and mixing it into your non-sls shampoo.

Hope this helps!

bumblebums
February 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I stopped using sulfates because they gave me crazy scalp itch. I have a sulfate-free shampoo that so far hasn't given me any trouble, and I've given CO wash a few tries off and on and I think I like it. I was hoping it would be moisturizing for my scalp since I seem to have a lot of dry-skin flakes (probably a lot to do with dry winter air too - really need to buy a humidifier for my next apartment!)..but this last time was the first time I'd done CO twice in a row without a regular shampoo in between and now all of a sudden the scalp itch is back! Not as bad as before but definitely there.

Technical information: My washes are 2-3 days apart (or more sometimes if I don't have to look presentable for work!). I use LiveClean shampoo when I shampoo, and Suave naturals conditioner (strawberry) as condish, CO, and leave-in (length only). I did also finish my last shower with a blast of cool water since I'd had it hotter than usual to relax myself. I went to bed not long after, scalp and ends mostly dry but the thickest parts of my length still a bit damp. No itch last night but definitely this morning after I got out of bed!

So is it possible for CO to cause dry skin itch or is it more likely I'm reactive to something in this conditioner like I was to SLS? Or...option 3, sometimes my back will itch like crazy and when I scratch it it just gets worse, until I have scratched it for a certain amount of time at which point it stops on its own; I think this is some kind of circulation issue, like increased bloodflow makes me itchy or something. Could it possibly be circulation itch on my scalp as well? I just noticed now after doing several minutes of scritching and massage my head feels a bit hot from having been messed with so much, but the itch seems to have calmed down a good bit.

Look at the ingredients in your conditioner carefully. To me, the fact that itchiness has spread to your back suggests that you could be allergic or sensitive to something in the conditioner. Often it's fragrance, but it could be something else.

I would suggest getting another conditioner and eliminating the products you are currently using for a week or so to see if the itchiness subsides. One conditioner I like a lot is Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Tingle. It's cheap, the ingredients are pretty good, and it's silicone-free. The shampoo is SLS-free and is also pretty decent, quality-wise.

I haven't found ACV to be clarifying. Plain old vinegar (1 tbsp in 1 cup of water) does the trick for me, though. It also shouldn't inflame your skin, I don't think.

RedButterfly
February 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I also find some conditioners cause itchiness on my scalp and back. I had to switch conditioners several times before I found one that was good for CO washes and could be left in without causing itchiness. The ones that work well now are Suave Humectant, Suave Aloe and any VO5 conditioner. I was sensitive to many other Suave conditioner except the two mentioned.

Try switching conditioners and see if that helps. I also agree with others who suggest that you should check out the ingredients on the conditioners that caused itchiness to see if there are common ingredients that you may be sensitive to.

Sissy
February 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
One conditioner I like a lot is Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Tingle. It's cheap, the ingredients are pretty good, and it's silicone-free.

Sounds lovely, I haven't tried that one yet. I do like GVP Lavender Tea Tree Oil Conditioner (Paul Mitchell Generic at Sally's). It does have a cone though if I remember correctly.

nytquill
February 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the input! I'll definitely look into trying other conditioners, I'm really just getting started experimenting with different stuff. We're in the middle of a move right now so I'm trying to limit any extra expenses (or time spent shopping!) until after we're settled in the new place. After we get moved I'll take some time to scout around and see what other brands I can get ahold of. I live in Canada so I can't always find everything you guys talk about on here.

You know, I had never considered that the itchy back might be related to my itch scalp, but it's completely possible! I guess I'll know if it stops itching as I try other things. So far a few minutes' scalp massage this morning seemed to settle it down although it did itch a little during the day - but it's been doing that lately anyway so I suspect it's at least partly due to winter itch; I know my skin and sinuses are all dried out these days!

Does anybody use LiveClean conditioner? So far I haven't had any bad reaction to the shampoo so I'm thinking I might try the conditioner too but it's a bit on the expensive side if it doesn't work well. Also what about the Garnier Triple Nutrition line? I'm really interested by their leave-in treatment but I'm a bit concerned that it has paraffin or something in it? Would I end up with a waxy coating on my hair?

LadyJennifer
February 17th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I currently use Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) deeper moisture condish with some molasses added in when I CO. I love the way it makes my hair feel! I spent about $5.50 or so on a 16 oz bottle at vitacost.com. I also do an ACV/water rinse to follow up. I was using Kiss My Face Whenever condish before, and my hair/scalp felt coated and grimy after.