PDA

View Full Version : Hair looks dry, but isn't...! o.O

Svenja
February 17th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Hello!

The title says it all. My sister mentioned today that a few of my layers look dry, but they do not feel it! She also says, it depends on how I move my head - sometimes they look dry and sometimes they do not. How odd is that?
Do you have a similar issue? Hair that feels all juicy and nice, but actually looks dry?
What can I do about it?

Thank you for reading!

SolSara
February 17th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Could it be damage? I can have damaged and split ends, that still feel very nice to touch. Or it could be the light, with the ends being thinner and therefore give a lighter appearance. My ends are much more sun bleached than the canopy, so the lighter ends/layers might give an effect of looking dry. Your avatar looks like you color your hair, and I've seen many that have lighter ends/layers when colored too.

Don't know what to do about it, if it's not dry or damaged, only looks like it. :shrug: If it is just being lighter, oiling can sometimes give a darker color.

elina333
February 17th, 2010, 02:46 AM
You have 2a/2b hair? I sometimes find my 2b hair to look damaged or dry because of the texture. But its gone next time I wash it. Good luck! :)

Svenja
February 17th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Thanks for your kind replies :)!

I have 2a hair, and yes it is coloured, but I have not noticed it is lighter in the lenghts. I have checked but could not find any split ends, and it does not look damaged either... how odd!

Maybe I should get rid of all the colour, and see how it looks afterwards?

Toadstool
February 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM
To me it just sounds like texture and thickness? Or it could be that the dye is a bit matt?
Looks fine to me.
Any method you try to use to remove the colour would definitely dry out your hair, unless you meant growing it out?

julliams
February 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I think it's a texture thing. I have the same issue myself. I know my hair is not dry but it does at times, look like it is.

Wicked Princess
February 17th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I'll be watching this thread, because I had a similar problem.

Until the end of December, I had layers that looked very dry at the ends. That part of my hair is colored, but remains strong. The actual damaged parts (the last few inches of the strands being a different texture, weird bends, and split ends) had been mostly removed via S&D. Still, no matter how many deep treatments I did, I could not get my ends to look healthy even though they were! I now suspect that it was because my layers were poorly maintained and so many varying lengths made it look tattered! I never did find a way to "fix" this other than by trimming, though. :(

Svenja
February 17th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Any method you try to use to remove the colour would definitely dry out your hair, unless you meant growing it out?
Well I have heard of this colour remover, which has quite a good reputation. Growing out would be the best option though.