PDA

View Full Version : Variation of 3-strand braid

chopandchange
February 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I've read all about Dianyla's version of the 3-strand braid, and how it helps to stop it coming loose and flopping over your ears. I tried it, and the problem for me is that I am one of those people who gets a very sore head if my hair is swept straight back instead of remaining in its parting. My hair needs to stay in its parting, so doing a Y-parting is not an option for me.

So, in case there are any other people here with the same problem, here is a version I found that works equally well functionally, even though it doesn't have the same visual impact as Dianyla's version. I haven't seen it posted here before (if it is, I'm sure you'll let me know and point me to the relevant thread). It isn't really a variation on a braid as such - just a trick for a better way to start your braid in order for it not to sag down at the sides.

I call this braid the "faux French" braid!

My instructions are below, but Torrin has also kindly made a video tutorial, which you can view here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Separate hair into four vertical sections at the back of your head. (DON'T PANIC! I PROMISE THIS IS GOING TO BE A 3-STRAND BRAID)! The two middle sections should each consist of one third of the hair, as per the strands in a normal braid. The two outer sections should each consist of half of one third.

To simplify: from left to right, your strands should be as follows: thin, thick, thick, thin.

2. Now bring the two outer (thin) sections into the centre (crossing them over the middle two thick strands). Now your strands will look like this: thick, thin, thin, thick.

3. Now combine the two thin strands in the middle by brushing/combing them together to form a new middle section. You should now have three strands equal in thickness, which look like this: thick, thick, thick - as per the strands for a normal braid. The only difference is that the sides of your hair are anchored in place thanks to this preparatory step, and shouldn't slip.

3. Braid as normal.

Hope this helps someone and my instructions are clear.

justme
February 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks! I just tried this and really like it!! :D

Peter
February 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I'll try this soon. It sounds interesting!

saskia_madding
February 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I am totally going to try this tomorrow. THANKS! :)

merryhair
February 19th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Very nice instructions! Thanks...I'm gonna try this:)

little_acorn
February 19th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Neat idea - I'll definitely try this :D

piratejenny23
February 20th, 2010, 12:13 AM
wow freakin' awesome!!!

i just tried this and i love the way it looks...for some reason my braid has less taper.

i tried the Y braid for the first time 2 days ago, and got a couple of compliments (i usually wear my hair in a bun all...the...time...!) but because at least half of my hair seems to grow on my crown, getting the strands even was difficult for me, and the sides looked a little floppy.

with this method my strands are even, i can keep my part, and not only do the sides not look floppy but one could twist or lace-braid them on the way back!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

chopandchange
February 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I'm glad it's of help to someone! :)

Sadly, I can't do it myself yet because of my darn layers, but I thought I'd pass on the knowledge!

Capybara
February 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Very useful instructions! I just tried it and it works :D

girloctopus
February 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I tried it out and it is pretty comfortable! I love the Dianyla style braid, but I can see myself using this one for when I do a folded braid or need a low nape braid for whatever reason. I took a picture of my first attempt:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4656&pictureid=64570
I like it, even if it is a bad picture :D

Sammich
February 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you muchly. I'll be bookmarking and.. err.. trying it in the future! <3 So thank you. :)

BTW. Beautiful result Octo! <3

chopandchange
February 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
That's a lovely picture. I'm so jealous. I can only do the start (too many layers thereafter).

It looks really cool in your hair - like a pseudo French braid!

PurpleAshes
February 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Sounds very interesting, I'm going to try it.

Elainehali
February 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
SMART!!:cheese:

My hair tends to flop over my ears and make an awkward part which is one reason I avoid simple braids. This has a lot of potential.

Isa-belle
March 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Very nifty! I'll be sure to try it out. Thank you!

gmdiaz
March 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
This is FABULOUS!

Works like a charm.

Thank you sooooo much for this idea!

chopandchange
March 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Woo hoo! I'm glad it's working for people.

More pics, anyone? :)

rags
March 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM
No pic, but I've done this twice since you posted it. It's the first time I haven't had to redo my braid halfway through the day because the sides had slithered out! Thank you!

Narya
March 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I like, a lot, the way it looks when done this way.

Also, it is easier for me because Dinayla's version was really similar to how I had been doing it, but the other way around (I did an inverse Y... it works the same, but it's not so pretty), and I always end up messing the thickness of the strands, so I get a sloppy braid. This way, as it is pretty different, is giving me no problems at all :D

Thanks for sharing!

longinthehair
March 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Excellent tip - makes it feel so much more secure (which apparently it is). Thank you for that insight!

Ven
March 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Your instructions were very easy to follow. I have not looked in a mirror yet (got a cat in my lap) but the sides feel very secure and tight. Not floppy at all.

Thanks for sharing!

~Ven

merryhair
March 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Just tried it and found it to be very comfortable. Thanks for the instructions. I love it!:D

chopandchange
April 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Just bumping to say that the lovely Torrin Paige very kindly did a video tutorial for me to add to this thread, demonstrating this style on her beautiful hair! It's here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA).

gink001
April 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks, I'll have to try this!

Loreley
April 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for sharing! It's really useful, I'm going to try it. I have SL bangs which never stay in my braid but I hope this will help! :D

QMacrocarpa
January 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I learned about this from Torrin Paige's great video, and I quite like it, thanks for sharing! I thought I'd mention that those of us with shorter hair can tuck the end of the braid up inside (like you can with a real French braid) for an easy updo (anchor with spin pin(s) or your preference).

Intransigentia
January 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I've been wearing this every day since sometime last week. thank you for the idea, it's so simple and so effective!

Organic
January 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Great instructions. I totally get it and plan to use it.