PDA

View Full Version : Is it common...

little_cherry
February 15th, 2010, 07:51 PM
To have courser regrowth? I have a halo of regrowth now and have noticed that it is growing in courser and kinky looking. Is this normal? I do light oilings, so they lay flat. Without the oil, they spike up.

Chamy
February 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have this too, its weird! I'll be keepin' an eye on this thread.

Zaane
February 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
do you mean around the edges of your hair like around your neck area??

christine1989
February 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Thats a bit odd. Usually new growth is finer and becomes thick as it grows in more. My hair strands are pretty thick but they always start out more fine.

peronella
February 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have noticed too that some of my hair has been coming in thicker and courser. I've been wondering whats up with that myself, since it seems counter-intuitive. I hope someone can answer, but its nice to know I'm not the only one, so it cant be all that abnormal...

pepperminttea
February 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I get this too. I figured it was just my hair ageing, becoming more coarse, since my mother's went the same way before her silvers grew in?

little_cherry
February 15th, 2010, 10:31 PM
do you mean around the edges of your hair like around your neck area?? They are at the top of my head and create a sort of halo, if that makes sense?

I have silvers,...these are course as well.

I comb, CO wash, oil my hair, SMT and use henna. I stopped using heat and products around 6 months ago.

The hairs appearance at the end is tapered, so I can only assume that this is new growth..in that case, I've sure sprouted a lot of new hairs :D

GoddesJourney
February 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I have those too. I started getting them when I was around twelve but I get more every year. Who knows? I thought I was going to go curly but no, they're just stray kinkies. It's the strangest thing. You would think that all of your hair would change, not just the halo area. I know a hairdresser that says this is from longterm damage, since this is the area of your head that gets the most weather, washing, combing, brushing, updo tension, fingers playing with it, etc. She might be right, but who knows?

littlemoon
February 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I believe I know what you're describing, and I've heard of it being called 'scab hair.' its rougher and harder to control and generally looks icky. I got this the firt inch or two of my regrowth after my last straightener, and now that its longer its gone. I know other people who have gotten this too

teela1978
February 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM
A lot of my greys come in like that. Only for the first 2 inches or so though, then they calm down and end up at a similar thickness to my other hairs. Its very odd.

slz
February 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM
What does "course hair" means please ? :o

blueroses79
February 16th, 2010, 01:06 AM
These are the "head pubes" I posted about last fall! I think... Mine are all on the top layer of my hair. The new growth underneath, near my neck, is still finer than fine. Mine aren't grey; just bumpy and kinky. If I let them grow they stay that way. Some are uniformly curly, and others just look like scribbles.

blueroses79
February 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
What does "course hair" means please ? :o
Coarse hair is hair in which the individual strands are very thick, and usually rough to the touch. (Its opposite is fine hair - individual strands that are wispy and thin.)

ArienEllariel
February 16th, 2010, 01:25 AM
These are the "head pubes" I posted about last fall! I think... Mine are all on the top layer of my hair. The new growth underneath, near my neck, is still finer than fine. Mine aren't grey; just bumpy and kinky. If I let them grow they stay that way. Some are uniformly curly, and others just look like scribbles.

Thank you! Now I know I'm not going nuts.. I've got some of these growing in at my crown. I hate them, but figure, hey, it's hair..

little_cherry
February 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you! Head pubes...lol :D

I use castor oil to soften them. It works quite well.

Fractalsofhair
February 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm getting ones that are changing color and texture, all over my head, not just the scalp. I chalk it up to my hair just changing as I get older.

Bellona
February 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I seem to have always had tons of these shorter hairs, but my canopy is fairly coarse to begin with, so I think it's just that they "stick out" and i notice their texture more. I agree with castor oil - seems to really flatten them (plus it doesn't break my face out!)

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
It seems to be pretty common. :) As we age and as we do different things to/with our bodies health- and diet-wise, we are seeing changes in the new hairs that sprout. Hormones affect this too. It's not uncommon at all to have a completely different head of hair than what you started out with as a kid, or even than you had as a teen.

chargersfan
February 18th, 2010, 11:31 AM

I have the exact same thing - "head pubes" describe them well!

Hay22
February 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I don't have an explanation for you, but I can tell you I have a bunch of regrowth like that, especially around the crown of my head. The only word I can use to describe them is "kinky." My grays grow like that, too. When I CO they lay smooth, but I just switched back to shampoo this week and they are already driving me nuts. I think it's just hormones and our bodies changing.

BrightEyes7
February 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Those aren't regrowth. They are broken hairs. Hairs that started as spilt ends and split all the way to the top. I have a bunch of them right along my hair line and no matter what I do they stick straight up! I thought they were regrowth for the longest time though. I just read something about it recently but I can't remember where. :luke:

little_cherry
February 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hmm..if that is the case, I sure wouldn't be surprised considering the abuse my hair used to take! I've only been hennaing for a year and have been taking care of my hair for 6 months.

I'm glad I don't abuse my hair anymore. It makes me cringe when I think of all the things I used to do to my hair!

BrightEyes7
February 18th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I know what you mean about hair abuse. I would wash, blow dry and straighten my wavy hair EVERYDAY for years!! Not to mention dye/highlight. I've been resisting dying it and have finally gotten used to not wearing my hair down all the time. Just when I want to show it off. I used to try and hairspray those broken hairs down but I realized the alcohol in the hairspray was making it worse. Now I use a serum to tame them.

I stopped abusing my hair because about two years ago I went to get a trim when my hair was about BSL. The girl butchered it. I cried for like 2 days. So I just wore it up for like a year and a half... I just recently started wearing it down again. My hair is in the best shape of my life but I still have those little pesky wirey hairs.

I've reached my length goal (waist) but my hair goal is to grow out all the broken hairs! :disco:(<<<I just like all the funny little smilies!!)

lhangel9
February 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I believe I know what you're describing, and I've heard of it being called 'scab hair.' its rougher and harder to control and generally looks icky. I got this the firt inch or two of my regrowth after my last straightener, and now that its longer its gone. I know other people who have gotten this too

I'm getting the same thing and was wondering why? It's only grown in about one inch. So maybe I have another inch or two before it's gone (I hope). This is a good post - thanks for the info ladies!!

Fractalsofhair
February 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty sure mine aren't damage, as they're a totally different color! That being said, some damage might look like that?

Eniratak
February 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I really don't think broken hairs would lead to coarser hair...Just saying.
I have them too. It's on the top layer right around my face. So I'm going with head pubes. XD.

Lixie
February 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'm pretty sure mine aren't damage, as they're a totally different color! That being said, some damage might look like that?

I don't think these hairs alone are damage, but I have noticed that my course, kinky hairs are much more damage prone.

BunnyBee
February 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Those aren't regrowth. They are broken hairs. Hairs that started as spilt ends and split all the way to the top.

I have them too but i don't think they can be split as they're thicker than the rest of my hair :confused: They're really annoying, I want my hair to be smooth :rolleyes: I have a theory that because it's only a few hairs that are like this that maybe the follicle is damaged... which would mean there's nothing that you can do about them...

Igor
February 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
To have courser regrowth? I have a halo of regrowth now and have noticed that it is growing in courser and kinky looking. Is this normal? I do light oilings, so they lay flat. Without the oil, they spike up.

This happened to me after starting on supplements

little_cherry
February 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
^ hmm...definitely something to consider! I haven't started any supplements, but I have been eating better for my hair.

I sure hope it isn't damage...there are lots of little hairs about 2 inches long! I know it's unheard of to have more than on texture of hair on your head :)

This thread is great!

mira-chan
February 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I had that happen. I had a huge shed before it too. A good chunk of my medium thickness hair from the then M/C hair fell out and coarse hair grew is. I also had a few more whited grow in at the same time.

They are not from damage as they have tapered tips, they just thicken up quickly after. My hair became wavier too, the length straightens it quite a bit, so they are not kinky/ curly after a certain length. Some do keep a stretched out kinky curl kind of ripple wave that's not visible unless you look closely. Scribbles is a good way to describe them. It's not from stretch damage or anything either, they are uniformly that way on a thick hair with a tapered end.

Variation can be seen here. The very ripply ones I haven't managed to take a picture of but you can see some of it on the most wavy one there. My hair doesn't get wavier than 2b overall with more moisture/ ploppling.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/length/jan08curlyhairs.jpg

For thickness size, most of the weird ones are like this, 9 to 11 micrometers in diameter.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/length/jan08hair.jpg