PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you have build up?

Gamber_747
February 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner almost daily. I also put on cocunut oil every other day before washing. I also occasionaly use hair gel or serum.

It's been a couple of months that I havent clarified so there has to be plenty of build up provided what products I use. The problem is, how do I know that I have build up? What problems are normally associated with too much build up?

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM
sticky-gunky, sometimes crunchy ends. you'll know your hair isn't acting the way it should.

Madame J
February 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Does your hair feel kind of gunky, like it's never really clean, even right after you wash? Does it seem like your products aren't working as well as they used to? Do you have crunchy or dry-feeling hair despite using a lot of moisturizing products? You might have build up.

If you don't feel like there's anything wrong with your hair, then you probably don't need to clarify.

Messyhair
February 15th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Hmmm... my hair never feels gunky, and I never clarify. Never crunchy, either. Anything else we should look for?

Gamber_747
February 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Well yes my hair are quite crunchy right now. They are also getting quite dry these days but that could also be because the weather has got really dry as well and even my face moisturizer is feeling it lol.

My scalp is throwing away the white flakes a little too much as well despite oiling and moisturizing.

I guess I need to clarify.:)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Well yes my hair are quite crunchy right now. They are also getting quite dry these days but that could also be because the weather has got really dry as well and even my face moisturizer is feeling it lol.

My scalp is throwing away the white flakes a little too much as well despite oiling and moisturizing.

I guess I need to clarify.:)

white flakes might not like clarifying, be warned :(

Gamber_747
February 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
white flakes might not like clarifying, be warned :(Well my hair as a whole dont like clarifying at all. It gets so freaking dry it gets a little scary until I put overloads of conditoner back.

I am going to clarify tomorrow and really gonna see what difference it makes.

lhangel9
February 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
You may also want to use an herbal shampoo or just a conditioner (w/out sulfates) for cleansing or simply do WO's for a few days after clarifying. At least that's what I'm doing. I had the same problem.

Stephichan
February 15th, 2010, 10:06 PM
The last time I clarified, I had been experiencing a lot of static electricity in my hair and it didn't seem to want to behave.

Suze334
February 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
With build-up my hair is flat and lifeless. A little baking soda rinse can do wonders as I don't use cones.

pepperminttea
February 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I get a waxy feeling when I have build-up, and as Madame J said, my usual products just don't seem to work as well as they usually do. I find ACV rinses really effective.

ilovelonghair
February 16th, 2010, 04:24 AM
For me it's crunchy ends, I don't know why the rest doesn't go gunky or crunchy.