PDA

View Full Version : Headline: Seemingly normal woman does crazy things for hair

Prism
February 15th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Okay, as I'm sitting here with my head tightly wrapped in cling wrap, I wonder what are some of the craziest things that you women (and gentlemen) have done to achieve healthy, long hair?

What miracle growth stimulators have you tried? What goop did you mix up and wear on your head? Fess up! :hollie:

lora410
February 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Monistat on my scalp. Although I must say it worked great. I have also applied horse stuff called mega tek.

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Probably just the coconut oil, aloe gel, honey, and ACV that most people don't put in their hair. I've tried olive oil as well and most people look at you weird when you start putting cooking oil on your head.

SHELIAANN1969
February 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
What we do around here isn't normal? :rollin:

I think some alternative methods are LESS CRAZY than the so called NORMAL, non crazy methods. I guess it's all in your perception. :D

Olde Soul
February 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I can do you one better. I went to bed last night with a plastic maxi pad package on my head because the cling wrap kept moving around. What was under the package? Henna, eggs, and yogurt. :D

Fiferstone
February 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I tie plastic grocery bags on my head, best henna-wrap ever, I slit the bag down one side, and cut the ends off the "handles" so I have an instant "old-lady rainbonnet" looking cover for my henna/SMT/whatever other nutty thing I'm doing to my hair at the moment. You can really fine-tune the tightness of the bags with the handles, and I usually tie two of them on my head. Works better than cling-wrap and I'm not wasting something that I'd otherwise use to store food.

Other than that, I'm perfectly normal :evil:

halo_tightens
February 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I tie plastic grocery bags on my head, best henna-wrap ever, I slit the bag down one side, and cut the ends off the "handles" so I have an instant "old-lady rainbonnet" looking cover for my henna/SMT/whatever other nutty thing I'm doing to my hair at the moment. You can really fine-tune the tightness of the bags with the handles, and I usually tie two of them on my head.

I can often be found with two grocery bags on my head, too. Great minds think alike!:D

Overall, I think I'm probably on about the same level of hair-insanity as most of my fellow LHC-ers, what with the henna-poo, oils, honey, and other random items being glopped on my head!

When we're all here together in a group, we can feel normal. ;)

Prism
February 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I can do you one better. I went to bed last night with a plastic maxi pad package on my head because the cling wrap kept moving around. What was under the package? Henna, eggs, and yogurt. :D

ROFL!! That's what I was lookin for! Too funny. And Valentine's Day, no less!

EDIT: I misread this as you put a maxi pad on your head. LOL

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I can often be found with two grocery bags on my head, too. Great minds think alike!:D

Overall, I think I'm probably on about the same level of hair-insanity as most of my fellow LHC-ers, what with the henna-poo, oils, honey, and other random items being glopped on my head!

When we're all here together in a group, we can feel normal. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one to use grocery bags to cover her head. They work great for SMT's. Haha, actually I explained that to my best friend the other day when we were discussing deep treatments. She was like, "what do you do? sit in the bathroom with goop dripping down your head for half an hour?" and I was like, "oh, no! I tie a grocery bag around over my head, cover it in a towel and go about business as usual." Her face was priceless. :p

LadyJennifer
February 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
ROFL!! That's what I was lookin for! Too funny. And Valentine's Day, no less!

EDIT: I misread this as you put a maxi pad on your head. LOL
So did I!! LOL!! :p

LadyJennifer
February 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Monistat on my scalp. Although I must say it worked great. I have also applied horse stuff called mega tek.
What does it do?

Mae
February 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
One time I was feeling in an experimental mood, so I dumped half a bottle of mouthwash on my head, just to see what would happen. (I used the Kiss My Face natural kind). At first it felt really cool and tingly, and then it felt a bit too cool and too tingly, and boy I was scrubbing my head like crazy to get it off! I have way too much time on my hands!

DragonLady
February 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Chili peppers. Enough said.

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Chili peppers. Enough said.

That really doesn't sound good. What happened?

DragonLady
February 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM
That really doesn't sound good. What happened?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=55713#comment287139

countryhopper
February 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I've put all these on my head (not at the same time):

*egg (to remove greasies)
*baking soda (dilluted to wash)
*honey (moisturise)
*mayonaise (maybe for moisture but ended up too greasy!)
*vinegar (rinse to restore scalp's ph after baking soda)
*tea (ditto the vinegar)
*beer (SHINE!)
*cornstarch (dry shampoo between washes)

And I'm sure there are a few things I've forgotten...

Qamar
February 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Lets see...I just covered my hair in whipped up raw egg, honey and lemon juice to wash it.

I also regularly soak my hair in coconut milk, yoghurt and henna mixtures, aloe and honey, and cover it in plastic grocery bags to keep the drippies down. (Not all of those treatments an=t once of course...a gal has to have some limits). I also oil my freshly cleaned hair with either camellia, emu or argan oil and I haven't used shampoo in years. Oh, I also am a member of the monistat club.

hanne jensen
February 16th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Monostat on my scalp. It doubles the growth rate. Tea rinses. I use a towel designed to dry dogs on my hair. Eat raw soaked millet for hair growth. DH doesn't even raise an eyebrow anymore...

funnyface
February 16th, 2010, 03:26 AM
mashed up bananas mixed with aloe vera! Bananas were just a pain to get out, didn't see any difference in the softness and never did it again!

Yum yum.

xxx

Qamar
February 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I was surprised at the results of washing in raw egg. My hair had oodles of shine, was nice and soft and had twice the body it normally has. It does feel a little drier than usual though, so I think a coconut milk soak is in order next washday.

JamieLeigh
February 16th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Most non-LHC people would consider not shampooing to be weird and gross. I do CO, plus I use honey, coconut oil and EVOO in my hair. Guess that's pretty weird too. :p

RavennaNight
February 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I look like swamp thing for one day each month and stink from indigo. :tbear: I've also tried the mega-tek and go to sleep often with a plastic bag tied around my marinading hair.

GlassEyes
February 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Placenta. In the hair.

No, seriously.

...XD Henna and Placenta sounds so much worse than it is.

young&reckless
February 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Placenta. In the hair.

No, seriously.

Well now I feel normal:disco:
But last night I explained poo bars, vinegar, henna, and cassia to my crush. He took it well, simply a "thats weird".:bounce:

PiroskaCicu
February 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hmm... good thread idea. :)

I've used a honey & milk mix as "shampoo",
ACV,
olive oil,
coconut oil,
and aloe vera straight from the plant...

Not really crazy- but perhaps crazy to some! :)

spidermom
February 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I think CO was about the craziest thing I tried. and tried. and tried.

Slow learner, but I've finally learned. For me, CO = limp, dull hair.

Stagecoach
February 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I think my craziest hair treatment was mixing molasses with cayenne pepper.

My family still rolls their eyes on the rare occasions I mix up some catnip tea.

Peter
February 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Placenta. In the hair.

No, seriously.

Dude, what? :p

Elaborate!

Keildra
February 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Placenta. In the hair.

No, seriously.

(thread jack)I was watching a show with a couple of alternative health gurus that kept their childs placenta to make vitamins. (end thread Jack)
An attempt at CO and getting on to my hubby for touching my hair while it's drying that's about it for me