PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs typing help

noelgirl
April 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I never can quite figure out what type my hair is, it's some kind of wavy or curly, but it's kind of inconsistent so I could use some help in figuring it out.

When I let my hair air-dry, it dries into waves with a few spiral curls. Here's a pic (few months ago), air-dried, no product:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/apothecary06/My%20Pictures/d7614751fb0csmall.jpg

From what I've read, that sounds consistent with a 2c. Here's what trips me up, though - it never stays like that. I wash every 2-3 days and by the second day, it only has a little bit of wave (pic taken yesterday):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/apothecary06/My%20Pictures/HPIM0133small.jpg

And sometimes coming out of updos, my hair makes waves like these (pic taken a couple of weeks ago - not so sure I like how the bangs make my face look):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/apothecary06/My%20Pictures/HPIM0108small.jpg

(By the way, none of these pics show my full length, as I can't zoom out far enough :p It's a little bit past BSL)

Curlsgirl
April 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM
You don't really go by second day or combed out hair. You should simply Wash and then let it dry totally by itself with no manipulation. Then if you will post a pic of the BACK of your hair it will be easier for us to give you an opinion. :)

Eboshi
April 30th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Check out Fia's hairtyping article, it is very helpful :flowers:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

Irishred
April 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I second curlsgirl, wash and let air-dry without combing. Some will comb soaking wet hair but just enough to get the hair going in the same direction.

(By the way, none of these pics show my full length, as I can't zoom out far enough :p It's a little bit past BSL)

What kind of camera are you using? Does it have a timer? can you take a picture in a mirror to get the full length?

That first picture, without seeing the bottom, I'd probably put you a bit more to the 2b range. Than again I tend to under type :shrug:

Curlsgirl
April 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I second curlsgirl, wash and let air-dry without combing. Some will comb soaking wet hair but just enough to get the hair going in the same direction.

What kind of camera are you using? Does it have a timer? can you take a picture in a mirror to get the full length?

That first picture, without seeing the bottom, I'd probably put you a bit more to the 2b range. Than again I tend to under type :shrug:I agree with the 2a/2b guess with the pictures here but it really is hard to tell.

zift
April 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I can't exactly see all your hair so my guess will be shallow but it doesn't look like 2c to me even from the first picture. I might be wrong though haven't seen the ends.
But you're definately a wavy we can at least say this. Maybe with a moisture reload we can discover more waves and curls there. I suggest you wash and condition well and than leave it alone for a hairtyping pic. Than we shall decide:flowers:

Just_Isabel
April 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I think 2a or 2b, but is your hair brushed or comb in that first picture?

I agree with Curlsgirl, a new picture with no manipulation from the back of your head would make this easier. :)

noelgirl
April 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Thank you all for the feedback! My camera doesn't have a timer, unfortunately. The mirror idea is a good one, although I only have a bathroom mirror (over the sink) in my apartment so that might not work either. I'll figure something out when I have time.

None of the pics show this, but I do get a few spirals, especially in the humidity, so that's why I was thinking 2c. The first pic is totally unmanipulated with no product - yeah, it can get a bit "fluffy" after a wash. When I have time, I'll try to get a better pic.

Amoretti
May 1st, 2008, 07:14 AM
It's wavier than mine and I'm a 2a. I don't get spirals. I'd say (without seeing a better pic) it's more in the range of 2b or maybe 2c with no manipulation.

noelgirl
May 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
One more question: I was measuring thickness and got a circumference measurement of 3.6", which would put me in ii territory, but my bangs don't make it into the ponytail. How much of a difference would that make?

Meli
May 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
One more question: I was measuring thickness and got a circumference measurement of 3.6", which would put me in ii territory, but my bangs don't make it into the ponytail. How much of a difference would that make?

Hard to say, it depends on how thick your bangs are. Perhaps you could try to gather your hair at the top front of your head, and measure your ponytail circumference there. Then you might get the bangs to fit in the ponytail too.

noelgirl
May 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Good idea! I tried it, and that measurement was 4".