PDA

View Full Version : Still losing hair!

Felix_D
February 15th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hi all,

You've really helped me kick a lot of my bad hair-habits. For a month now I've been CWC 1/week, and CO the rest of the week. I haven't touched my straightener since joining, and only hit the hairdryer on Warm with the diffuser on. I don't comb or brush it at all when it's wet, and I just place a MF towel over my head and tie around my neck for 20 minutes to do most of the drying.

I've started taking a Vit B complex (includes biotin and folic acid), MSM, and Vit D every day. I try to eat well with lots of veggies, my BMI is ~20, I work indoors, my job isn't very stressful at all.

I've noticed my hair (and nails!) growing faster since supplimenting. My nails are much stronger as well, they don't split like they used to.

BUT I'm still shedding a lot in the shower. My hair is short, and I notice a lot of hairs tangled in my fingers after running CO through. I'm sure there are even more that wash out without me noticing. I'm very aware of my part; it's very wide. I have a round spot on the back of the crown that feels very bald.

Any suggestions? I'm extremely self-conscious about how thin my hair is and would appreciate ideas. I'm in Canada, so if you think a medical opinion would help I could easily talk to a doctor about this (I don't like wasting her time, though, if you guys have a better idea).

Felix_D
February 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Edit: Also, to add, I used to dye my hair at the salon, with some peroxide-based stuff. Made my scalp very itchy and burn-y while it was on. Only did that twice, but maybe that's a factor? It's been over a month now, though, since my last dye and it's still coming out fast and furious.

Kris Dove
February 15th, 2010, 08:08 AM
If you have a bald spot at the back of your head you should definitely see a doctor- it may be a sign of underlying issues such as thyroid problems which need to be ruled out, so please don't feel as if you're wasting her time.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Edit: Also, to add, I used to dye my hair at the salon, with some peroxide-based stuff. Made my scalp very itchy and burn-y while it was on. Only did that twice, but maybe that's a factor? It's been over a month now, though, since my last dye and it's still coming out fast and furious.

i heard that hairdye can increase shedding. So that might be a factor.

Aside from that, there are things i can recommend before consulting a doctor:
first off, shedding can be a reaction of scalp to a certain product. Try switching your conditioner (and everything else you put on your scalp)

second, are you sure it's not breakage? Your old dyed& damaged ends might be breaking off, you can tell breakage by examining the roots of shed hairs. If they have white tip, they're shed. If not, they're broken.

castor oil is famous for decreasing shedding & faster growth. You can use it on your scalp as a pre-wash treatment.

It could be genetics; when did the shed started? If you've had it all your life than this could be it. There's little you can do about genetically determined stuff. (also ask your family about how much they shed)

Try scalp massages. It stimulates scalp and hair growth.

these are all i have in mind. hope it stops soon :)

Felix_D
February 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks Pink! I'm a bit hesitant about the massages simply because I don't want to accidentally tug any hairs out. GoddesJourney just put up an article about massaging recently, so I'll follow that and see how it goes.

My mother has thin hair and my dad has thick curls. I got my mom's thinness, and some waves from my dad. I know I'm starting from a genetically disadvantaged standpoint, but it borders on sickly looking.

I'll check the ends, and see if they're sheds or actually breaks. I only have a half-inch of virgin growth at this point.

Castor oil, I'll try that. Is it a treatment to be washed out, or can I leave it in like I've been leaving in olive oil on the ends (which is still my most favourite discovery from these forums!)

Dove, I looked up a lot about thyroids, and found a lot of problems:

Symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis include weight gain, depression, mania, sensitivity to cold, fatigue, panic attacks, bradycardia, tachycardia, high cholesterol, reactive hypoglycemia, constipation, migraines, muscle weakness, cramps, memory loss, infertility and hair loss.
None of the other side effects are familiar. It's sort of a relief that I'm probably medically fine, but a bit of a bummer that I can't be like, oh, I'll just take a pill and get thick hair! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll likely bring it up anyway at my next physical in a couple months.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Castor oil, I'll try that. Is it a treatment to be washed out, or can I leave it in like I've been leaving in olive oil on the ends (which is still my most favourite discovery from these forums!)

It was supposed to be a few hours treatment that's washed out, but i apply generous amounts of oil one or two days before hair wash :D as long as your scalp isn't sensitive to oils (some people experience scalp cysts, beware) i guess you'll be okay.