PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed bunning

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I don't know why it took me so long to come to this realization, but as a left-hander, I simply can't follow standard bunning directions. It's not just inverting them right to left, as sometimes they need to be twisted the opposite direction or approached from the top rather than the bottom, etc.

Are there other lefties here who are challenged in this way? Has anyone done any videos or pictorials demonstrating left-handed bunning?

I am particularly interested in simple buns for thick, APL hair (that can be held with a single hairstick or fork and do not require an elastic, pins, or clips), but done left-handed.

Anyone in the same lefty boat? Or does anyone have left-handed directions for buns like the ones I am seeking?

Lefties Unite!!! :gabigrin:

Das Siechtum
February 15th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I'm also left handed and I feel your pain. :-(

lora410
February 15th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I am a lefty and haven't noticed any problems with any right hand styles :shrug:

bumblebums
February 15th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I think people vary a lot in how easily they can visually flip images in their mind. I am pretty good about hair things in either direction, but I recently tried to crochet with my left hand, and I can't even hold the hook (even though I was born left-handed and can write with either hand). So the usual advice righties give--"just follow the directions using your left hand!"--can be spectacularly useless for lefties. If it were that easy, people wouldn't be asking for help!

So, how about this suggestion. I know there are longhairs on this site who switch the direction of how they twist their hair for a bun, to avoid putting stress on the same hairs again and again. If any of you are good enough at this that you can make a video with left-handed directions, would you please link it in this thread? I'd do it but my hair is too pathetically short to put on youtube... I'd get eaten alive by the trolls.

Hiriel
February 15th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I can follow most of the instructions, because even though I'm "very left-handed" (really uncoordinated with my right hand and arm), I tend to be able to do things right-handed fairly well provided I've never learnt how to do it left-handed first.

I knit right-handed for example, since I learnt it from my mother, who doesn't know how to knit left-handed. But my hand cramps a little when I knit, and I suspect this is because my right hand doesn't like doing anything as advanced as knitting :p

enfys
February 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I just try and follow the instructions as they are, but put the stick in where it would exit and so it exits where a righty would start from.

I think you need to be quite ambidextous with long hair anyway. You need to hold vey well with one hand while you insert forks or sticks with the other, for example.

AmericanWoman
February 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Another lefty. I just follow my own directions. I'm not really good at following right handed instructions on anything, so you are not alone.

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
For those who can relate to my dilemma, thank you for posting -- and Bumblebums, thank you for asking those who have some experience with this to make a video and/or post to this thread.

I've realized that I need to follow my own directions, too, AmericanWoman, but there are some great bun styles already created, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to (I'd rather just figure out how to spin the wheel in another direction, if you know what I mean). I'm fairly ambidextrous (I think most lefties have to be just to get along in this world), but I cannot follow standard right-handed bunning directions. I twist my hair the opposite way, I coil my cinnabuns the opposite way, I braid differently than most righties, and almost everything else hair-wise I do the opposite way, too. So even though I use both hands, I use them differently (or the opposite way) that right-handers do.

C'mon other lefties -- speak up and be counted!!! :waving:

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm left-handed and though I haven't really tried to follow a tutorial for a bun yet, I could see why this would be an issue as I've never had much luck with things if a rightie is showing me how to do something. I once tried to teach myself how to crochet once using a rightie cd-rom program and gave up because it just wasn't working when I tried following along backwards.

enfys
February 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'm putting more though into this now and wondering if I don't have problems because the buns I'm copying aren't ones that use twisted lengths? Which way do you twist?

Doing it now, as if I was making a cinnabun I hold my hair like a ponytail with my left hand and twizzle the length with my righthand in a clockwise direction if viewed from behind. Then I use my left hand to arrange the hair as I bring the coils around with my right hand, again in a clockwise direction. Is that how you do it?

With other buns that I try and copy I tend not to use twisted lengths so I suppose that doesn't mess up the starting tension if I do end up wrapping it the other way.

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm putting more though into this now and wondering if I don't have problems because the buns I'm copying aren't ones that use twisted lengths? Which way do you twist?

Doing it now, as if I was making a cinnabun I hold my hair like a ponytail with my left hand and twizzle the length with my righthand in a clockwise direction if viewed from behind. Then I use my left hand to arrange the hair as I bring the coils around with my right hand, again in a clockwise direction. Is that how you do it?

With other buns that I try and copy I tend not to use twisted lengths so I suppose that doesn't mess up the starting tension if I do end up wrapping it the other way.

Hmm. I had to take down my bun to try this and see which way I twist. :)

For a cinnabun, I twist my hair counterclockwise, using my left hand. Then I coil the twist counterclockwise using my left hand. I only use my right hand to assist, when needed.

Of the two buns I would like to do now -- the Pencil Bun and the Magic Knot Bun -- I can only do the Pencil Bun, and that was after figuring out how to do it left handed. It wasn't easy (my mind just isn't flexible in that way). I have sort of figured out the Magic Knot Bun, but I need to put the hair stick ABOVE the hair (rather than below it), twist the stick the opposite way from what is done in the video, and then insert the stick left to right. It's all so convoluted. It would be so nice to just have a left-handed video from the start instead of having to figure all of this out on my own (because I'm just not very good at it!).

bumblebums
February 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM

If I am doing a bun with my left hand, I twist clockwise. I twist counter-clockwise with my right.

ETA: scratch that! It's the other way around! Left hand, counterclockwise. Right hand, clockwise. You see the problem here?

BTW, it's a well-known issue for lefties that we get confused about the right-left distinction. Especially those of us who were retrained as kids.

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Heeheehee!! Bumblebums, your "last edited by..." note cracked me up! It's darned true, though -- at least for me -- I get confused about right-left distinctions and have a heckuva time with directions in general (I think the GPS must have been invented by a leftie who has this problem!). Maybe we need to create a volume of only left-handed bun instructions. There just has to be a calling for this!! :smirk:

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Wow, I must just be an oddity then. I hold my hair at the base (as it making a pony) with my left hand, then use my right hand to twist counter-clockwise (when viewed from the back) and arrange and pin with my left hand.

Huh. :shrug:

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Wow, I must just be an oddity then. I hold my hair at the base (as it making a pony) with my left hand, then use my right hand to twist counter-clockwise (when viewed from the back) and arrange and pin with my left hand.

Huh. :shrug:

Yup! ;) Actually, I have no idea how you do that. I couldn't twist my hair effectively with my right hand if my life depended on it. :cool:

chloeishere
February 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'm left-handed, and yes, I sometimes have problems. It depends on if the directions have a movement that I can figure out on my own; step by step instructions aren't good for me.

I do have one bunning video, The Magic Knot bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI). It was an accidental creation; I couldn't follow Manderly's video for the Gibson Tuck (probably because I'm left handed), and created a different bun. It's a variation on the Orchid Wrap bun. I think it's fairly straight-forward, but maybe the reason some people say they have trouble following it is because of the left-handed way I'm doing it!

I was able to do it around APL length, but my hair only has a 3" nape circumference, so you might need a bit more length to do it.

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Yup! ;) Actually, I have no idea how you do that. I couldn't twist my hair effectively with my right hand if my life depended on it. :cool:

The funny part was that I was sitting there trying to remember which way I twist my hair usually and couldn't remember. I had to actually make a bun before I realized I used my right hand more than my left. :rolleyes:

Fiferstone
February 15th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm a leftie and I tend to twist my hair anti-clockwise with my left hand. Trying to twist my hair with my right hand works about as well as trying to brush my teeth with my right hand. I have difficulty navigating the brush to my mouth effectively. I'm serious.

I just sort of approximate from the right-handed person's video on my own hair/with my own twist pattern, and hope I get it. I confess there are somethings I simply haven't gotten the hang of yet (hello celtic knot).

enfys
February 15th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I'm a leftie and I tend to twist my hair anti-clockwise with my left hand. Trying to twist my hair with my right hand works about as well as trying to brush my teeth with my right hand. I have difficulty navigating the brush to my mouth effectively. I'm serious.

I just sort of approximate from the right-handed person's video on my own hair/with my own twist pattern, and hope I get it. I confess there are somethings I simply haven't gotten the hang of yet (hello celtic knot).

Yes! Sometimes I don't know if it's just me being unable to follow the instructions or if my hair is to short/slippy/spiteful for me to do the bun.

When I twist with my right hand I just get the hair wrapped around my arm then take my arm away. For a controlled twist I use the left hand anti-clockwise. I'm getting all backwards thinking about it...

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm left-handed, and yes, I sometimes have problems. It depends on if the directions have a movement that I can figure out on my own; step by step instructions aren't good for me.

I do have one bunning video, The Magic Knot bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI). It was an accidental creation; I couldn't follow Manderly's video for the Gibson Tuck (probably because I'm left handed), and created a different bun. It's a variation on the Orchid Wrap bun. I think it's fairly straight-forward, but maybe the reason some people say they have trouble following it is because of the left-handed way I'm doing it!

I was able to do it around APL length, but my hair only has a 3" nape circumference, so you might need a bit more length to do it.

Oh...my...gawd. Are you the one who created this wonderful bun, Chloe??? Well, here is how absolutely left-brained I am. I looked at the video and THOUGHT it was right handed, so I couldn't figure out how to do it. I kept trying all different kinds of things and couldn't get it right. I started holding the hair stick ABOVE my hair rather than under it, and that sort of worked. But it was all very hard. This is a bun I have WANTED to do so badly.

Well, idiot that I apparently am, I just watched it again (after having watched it about twenty times previously and still not being able to do it), and finally seeing that it is ALREADY left handed, I tried it and could do it perfectly!! :brickwall:

Chloe if this is your bun, you are a genius. It is outstanding, and it WORKS for me now (of course, it would have worked for me before, if I had only actually SEEN that you were doing it left handed from the start). Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :flower:

P.S. You are right that a little more length will make it easier for me. It's a tad hard to do at this length with my thickness (although if I keep twisting my hair like I've been doing and breaking it, I might end up with thinner hair than I'd like! :blueeek:)

MandyBeth
February 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Pixna - what's worse (maybe) is being a righty (mostly), but I use my left hand to twist or put my hair up. So the right handed videos make sense - but I'm trying to do them backwards and grrrrrr, my hair won't behave.......

I can ALMOST get the Magic Knot done...... Grow hairs, grow!

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Pixna - what's worse (maybe) is being a righty (mostly), but I use my left hand to twist or put my hair up. So the right handed videos make sense - but I'm trying to do them backwards and grrrrrr, my hair won't behave.......

I can ALMOST get the Magic Knot done...... Grow hairs, grow!

That's an interesting affliction, MandyBeth. You're a righty who wants to be a lefty, I think! :p

And, yeah, having longer hair helps with (almost) everything! ;)

chloeishere
February 15th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you, Pixna! :o

More length definitely makes it stay better. I still do it, but now I coil the tail around twice before I flip the stick.

It was really a collaboration; I never would have done it if I hadn't been inspired by Manderly's directions (even though I did it wrong). :p

linda g
February 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have a crazy idea.

What if you used a mirror to watch the youtube instructions over your shoulder? Then everything would be flipped for you!

Pixna
February 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you, Pixna! :o

More length definitely makes it stay better. I still do it, but now I coil the tail around twice before I flip the stick.

It was really a collaboration; I never would have done it if I hadn't been inspired by Manderly's directions (even though I did it wrong). :p

Chloe, isn't it funny how doing something "wrong" can sometimes lead to something even better?!

Linda, that's a good suggestion. I have trouble with mirrors, though -- if I'm not watching something straight on, my brain gets confused. *sigh* Such is the dilemma of true-blue lefty.

missjessiecakes
February 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
If I am doing a bun with my left hand, I twist clockwise. I twist counter-clockwise with my right.

ETA: scratch that! It's the other way around! Left hand, counterclockwise. Right hand, clockwise. You see the problem here?

BTW, it's a well-known issue for lefties that we get confused about the right-left distinction. Especially those of us who were retrained as kids.Well that explains it. :patrol:I need to call my mother and chew her a new one. They made me a righty as a kid and my mother was always getting on my case about the fact I got right and left confused so much. :steam*dials phone*

bumblebums
February 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Well that explains it. :patrol:I need to call my mother and chew her a new one. They made me a righty as a kid and my mother was always getting on my case about the fact I got right and left confused so much. :steam*dials phone*

I know... sad, isn't it? Don't blame your mom--she probably thought she was doing you a favor.

Here's a link (http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst;jsessionid=L5pT0sbdN8J5pbJnVxMJt HNpl02ChccmJhlcHQhDrTML1z6QGGwy!1939691874!2130031 767?docId=95893392) that's relevant. Apparently, we are known as "forced" left-handers.

katana
February 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
(re: Magic Knot Bun)

... sheesh. Just knowing it was a left-handed style, made it work for me - I was trying it before and failing. *shakes head at self*

(not a lefty, but nearly ambidextrously .. or is that semi-dexterously.. bunning. Which is good because I accidentally bought more 'lefty' forks than 'righty' or neutral forks...)

guccixx
February 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I feel you! I am a lefty too and I even tried to watch videos on how to bun and it's really difficult trying to reverse it.

bumblebums
February 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM

... sheesh. Just knowing it was a left-handed style, made it work for me - I was trying it before and failing. *shakes head at self*

(not a lefty, but nearly ambidextrously .. or is that semi-dexterously.. bunning. Which is good because I accidentally bought more 'lefty' forks than 'righty' or neutral forks...)

There are asymmetrical forks?! [gasps]

Well, ideally, we would all would be bunning ambidextrously anyway. It's better for the hair to switch sides and change the direction of twisting.

katana
February 15th, 2010, 06:44 PM
There are asymmetrical forks?! [gasps]

GrahToeStudios is addictive, I'm telling you. I had, um, I think 8 forks before I realized that, oh- some of them are pointed in DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS. :rolleyes:

Well, ideally, we would all would be bunning ambidextrously anyway. It's better for the hair to switch sides and change the direction of twisting.

^^V Too bad my fallback bun is the Hypnobun....

Raederle
February 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
<snip>
I do have one bunning video, The Magic Knot bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI). It was an accidental creation; <snip>

Oh, was that a bunning video?? Sorry, I was too struck by how beautiful your hair is. :thudpile: Guess I'll have to re-watch.:o

Liave Ekeli
February 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM
BTW, it's a well-known issue for lefties that we get confused about the right-left distinction. Especially those of us who were retrained as kids.

It's not just the those who have been retrained. At least I'm a natural leftie, and I sometimes have trouble with left/right. It's not that I don't know, I just need an extra second to get my brain to wire correctly...if that makes sense to anyone.
I also heard from someone that women in general have more difficulty with distinguishing left and right than men, but I think that's just a rumor, so don't quote me on that...

When it comes to buns I haven't experienced that much trouble with following right-handed instructions, but then again I haven't learned any of the more complicated buns yet. I have trouble with braiding, though... I've been trying to learn how to do a french braid on myself, but the only instructions I've found have been for right-handers, and I just can't get them to work for me :p

hanne jensen
February 16th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'm a leftie too. I just don't get most of the hair tutorials and videos. I just try to invent my own updos.
There's one updo that you can probably do-I call it the braided floop. Put your hair up in a high off center pony. Don't worry, the elastic is coming out! Braid the pony, put an elastic at the end. Remove the pony elastic. Remove the elastic at the end of the braid, holding the ends. Bend the braid forward and tuck the ends under. Secure with hair pins, NOT bobby pins.
Sometimes I use mini bear claws. I use hair clips to secure fly-away hairs. You can dress this do up or down.

Pixna
February 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM

That is what made it work for me, too!! Weird, isn't it? I couldn't do it until Chloe pointed out that it was already left-handed! :rolleyes:

It's not just the those who have been retrained. At least I'm a natural leftie, and I sometimes have trouble with left/right. It's not that I don't know, I just need an extra second to get my brain to wire correctly...if that makes sense to anyone.
I also heard from someone that women in general have more difficulty with distinguishing left and right than men, but I think that's just a rumor, so don't quote me on that...

When it comes to buns I haven't experienced that much trouble with following right-handed instructions, but then again I haven't learned any of the more complicated buns yet. I have trouble with braiding, though... I've been trying to learn how to do a french braid on myself, but the only instructions I've found have been for right-handers, and I just can't get them to work for me :p

Yep, I need a few minutes to get my brain to connect the wires, too. Certain things just don't "make sense" to me at first, and it takes my brain a while to "digest" them. I always figured it was some sort of learning disability, but I think it just has to do with being left-handed. I can braid without any problem, but I think that's only because I do it left-handed and have been braiding since I was little.

Gothic Lolita
February 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Lefty too here and I've found that watching video tutorials is best for me. I simply ignore direction advices and that works pretty well. However, I still couldn't figure out how to do the Orchid Bun. That one is beyond me. Same one goes for log roll.... I can'T get it to work.

bumblebums
February 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Well, the left-right distinction can be tricky even for right-handers, so just because you have to stop and think about it for a second does not necessarily mean it's a problem. I think most people have to pause and think about it some of the time. It's just a matter of degree: if you are a forced leftie, you are more likely to find it challenging most of the time.

Re: french braiding--braiding is symmetrical, isn't it? I can't imagine how handedness would affect one's ability to braid. But maybe I find it easy because I learned to braid as a kid.

MandyBeth
February 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
For me, braiding is hard because I twist the wrong way. I take the center over the outside, vs the outside over the center.

Anje
February 16th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Righty here...

I'm looking (without success) for a utility that can flip a video (say, on youtube) so left and right are reversed, like looking in a mirror.

I'm not having much success, but if anyone knows of such a video hack, please let me (and all the lefties here) know about it!

bumblebums
February 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM
For me, braiding is hard because I twist the wrong way. I take the center over the outside, vs the outside over the center.

That would be a problem whether you are right-handed or left-handed. You are basically braiding upside-down, as in a Dutch braid, as opposed to the English or the French technique.

darkwaves
February 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Great video, chloeishere!

I'm left-handed, but I have very good visual-spatial mental coordination (even though I am completely physically inept, and confuse directions that include lefts and rights!)

It's not just the those who have been retrained. At least I'm a natural leftie, and I sometimes have trouble with left/right. I think that's a matter of language and conditioning -- "right" means the natural way (for the majority), and for us, that's left!

I've spent decades following right-handed directions in my private left-handed world.

For example, I use scissors with my right hand, because that's what my seamstress mom taught me at a very young age... And using scissor requires such fine motor control -- a problem for me -- that I can't retrain to use left-handed shears!

And I knit and crochet and tat, and learned one of those by holding the book with directions in front of a mirror, and another by watching my right-handed, ambidextrous-brained mom "translate" what her right-handed sister was doing into left-handed technique... Weird... I learned to tat; my mother -- my co-instructor -- never did!.

Anyway, at this point, my brain just flips techniques and videos for hair, the same way it does for knitting, or other crafts. Maybe it's practice; maybe it's a gift from my mom.

All of which mean I have no problems following style directions here -- or, at least I haven't since I realized that hair is like fabric arts... You have to pay attention to the way it wants to move or is reacting...

And for me, that means that Figure 8s have to be done with a high twist rolled down, not a low twist rolled up, because that creates, well, something totally un-8-like on my head!

(And it also means I have loved KarenLynn's instructions for years! even though it takes me more length to twist... )

Cinnamon Hair
February 18th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I am left handed but I bun right handed. Always have. I don't know what's up with that, but when I try coiling with my left hand it just feels wrong and I can't get a tight bun. I think maybe I do a lot of things backward to true right-handed people, because I can bastardize styles like no other. :p I feel your pain in the left handed department. It comes down to just finding the way that is right (left?) for you.

Pixna
February 19th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I am left handed but I bun right handed. Always have. I don't know what's up with that, but when I try coiling with my left hand it just feels wrong and I can't get a tight bun. I think maybe I do a lot of things backward to true right-handed people, because I can bastardize styles like no other. :p I feel your pain in the left handed department. It comes down to just finding the way that is right (left?) for you.

See, that's the weird thing -- when bun, I actually hold my hair in my right hand, but I twist the opposite directions of righties. We lefties do things so differently from them, that it's not always a matter of inverting directions but reinventing them. That's what makes it so tough.

I'm impressed that you can bastardize styles, Cinnamon Hair. I'm working on that, because right-handed directions and methods simply don't translate well for me, so I sort of have to figure entirely new methods or ways to alter the right-handed methods.

bumblebums
February 19th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Just noticed today that one of my Flexi-8s is right-handed. If I were to insert it from the left, the design would end up upside-down. I also have a beak clip that only works right-handed (there is a jewel peacock on it, and if I insert it left-handed, the peacock is feet up).

Not all Flexi-8s are asymmetrical, though. My other one works either from the left or from the right because of the design.

Pixna
February 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Just noticed today that one of my Flexi-8s is right-handed. If I were to insert it from the left, the design would end up upside-down. I also have a beak clip that only works right-handed (there is a jewel peacock on it, and if I insert it left-handed, the peacock is feet up).

Not all Flexi-8s are asymmetrical, though. My other one works either from the left or from the right because of the design.

I have requested them to turn the designs upside down (as needed) so my flexis could be used left-handed, and they were happy to oblige. If you prefer to use yours left-handed, I'm sure you could send the flexis back to them and they would reverse them. :)

ArienEllariel
February 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

bumblebums
February 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I have requested them to turn the designs upside down (as needed) so my flexis could be used left-handed, and they were happy to oblige. If you prefer to use yours left-handed, I'm sure you could send the flexis back to them and they would reverse them. :)

Nah, I don't care--I'm ambidextrous! Just pointing it out, it's something to watch out for in case someone needs a strictly left-handed accessory.

Wildcat Diva
February 22nd, 2016, 07:16 PM
BUMP!!!
OK! I almost made this same thread all over again!
Same post as Pixna.
I have JUST NOW tried LWB the lefty way. I didn't even notice I have been doing it "wrong" (for me) and struggling for at least three years. I'm an idiot.
I kinda snapped when I looked in the bun picture thread and saw a wrapped stick bun backwards from Hypnotica's and said hmmmmmm....

LWB is so much better now. It actually held and looked good. I just figured this out. Someone slap me and say "DOH!"
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/janineevans/09401EEA-9EEE-465D-9ADB-E12D4B55EA64_zpszojogq2j.jpg

languagenut
February 22nd, 2016, 10:31 PM
I grew up right-handed; whether because of heredity or environment, I don't know. But I am, for several years now, ambidextrous in ability and motor skill, and left-handed in habit, preference, and self-image. So categorize me how you will :shrug:.

Anyway, I'm pretty good at reversing things, but I can't process rotational directions really at all, especially in 3D (like a helix). I simply cannot understand the concept of twisting the hair clockwise or counterclockwise. I always think of it in terms of the first two directions.

So what I was getting at, is that I had a lot of difficulty with the LWB tutorial at first. It always came out as some floppy mess. Then it finally dawned on me that I was twisting the hair the wrong way; I had been in the habit of twisting forward and down (with the left hand), and coiling down and to the right. But in the tutorials, the person was coiling upward (if you understand what I mean...). So, I would twist as usual, but then go up instead of down... and so of course it lost its twist. So once I figured that out, I retrained myself to twist back and down, and then coil up and to the right, and now, interestingly, my bun (regular buns too, not just Lazy Wrap) comes out pretty much centered, as opposed to before when it was always off-center! So I figured out the LWB that way, but I couldn't figure out the Suebian Knot until I gave up on trying to figure out directions, and just visualised it as a knot with a loop, and made one in my hair. Still not sure I'm doing it right, but it's something. And the helix I just followed the right-hand motions as they were, and then found a left-handed tutorial and followed that, and ran out of hair both times. :(

Islandgrrl
February 22nd, 2016, 10:57 PM
I think I'm a lot like this. I identify as a leftie. I write right handed, do most other stuff left handed or either handed and I'm left eye dominant.

I can bun either way, and can use most hair toys with either hand. Except flexis. I can't figure those babies out at all.

I grew up right-handed; whether because of heredity or environment, I don't know. But I am, for several years now, ambidextrous in ability and motor skill, and left-handed in habit, preference, and self-image. So categorize me how you will :shrug:.

Anyway, I'm pretty good at reversing things, but I can't process rotational directions really at all, especially in 3D (like a helix). I simply cannot understand the concept of twisting the hair clockwise or counterclockwise. I always think of it in terms of the first two directions.

So what I was getting at, is that I had a lot of difficulty with the LWB tutorial at first. It always came out as some floppy mess. Then it finally dawned on me that I was twisting the hair the wrong way; I had been in the habit of twisting forward and down (with the left hand), and coiling down and to the right. But in the tutorials, the person was coiling upward (if you understand what I mean...). So, I would twist as usual, but then go up instead of down... and so of course it lost its twist. So once I figured that out, I retrained myself to twist back and down, and then coil up and to the right, and now, interestingly, my bun (regular buns too, not just Lazy Wrap) comes out pretty much centered, as opposed to before when it was always off-center! So I figured out the LWB that way, but I couldn't figure out the Suebian Knot until I gave up on trying to figure out directions, and just visualised it as a knot with a loop, and made one in my hair. Still not sure I'm doing it right, but it's something. And the helix I just followed the right-hand motions as they were, and then found a left-handed tutorial and followed that, and ran out of hair both times. :(

lapushka
February 23rd, 2016, 04:31 AM
I favored my left hand when I was little. My mom made me use my right, and favoring the left went "just-like-that". I never use my left hand for anything, pretty much. I can't or there's gonna be disasters. :lol:

Wildcat Diva
February 23rd, 2016, 07:11 AM
Obviously for adult (well sorta!?) Very Lefty me it's a big difference. Without really considering it, I have used my right with only limited success with some buns for years with the same result. It is not gonna get any better, no matter what I do. That LWB was gonna be a wonky, ineffective pain despite years of trying. Other buns, I learned left handed right from the start somehow and never looked back.

Eastbound&Down
February 23rd, 2016, 08:13 AM
My life! I get so frustrated! I have really just the one bun that I can do and stick to that or braid.

Wildcat Diva
March 20th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Here is lefty LWB tutorial.

http://youtu.be/qhuT9DZ3PAo

Silverbleed
March 20th, 2016, 01:39 PM
I am a lefty, but for some reason I never had trouble mirroring anything when I see it. Maybe because I'm slightly both-handed? I'm not sure. For the really difficult buns I'd like to try in the future I'm curious how well I will do. Maybe it will be a big challenge still xD

Very nice video Wildcat Diva! Thank you for sharing c:

lunasea
March 20th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Lefty here too. I usually just flip bun directions in my mind and have never had a problem. The biggest problem I've ever run into is when a hairtoy has to be inserted from the right to be right-side-up. This just kills me. I always lose tension when I try to do that.

PixieP
April 15th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Ok so I am a rightie. But I'm struggling with a chronic headache lately (four months and counting now), that is based around my right ear and up the side of the head. My doctor think's it's a case of over-sensitive nerve endings (I'm waiting for an apoointment with a neuologist). Anyhow, I've started noticing that when I put my hair up it feels like it's pulling on the right side, worsening my headache. So as a desperate solution I tried to switch around my hands and make a leftie-Nautilus. And that worked much better!

So I'm looking for more tutorials for buns for lefties, what are your favourites? I know I could just look at a normal tutorial and switch it, but since I need to teach my non-dominant hand to do this I think the fewer complications the better :P Espcially since my brain capacity is a bit less with this headache going on XD

Anje
April 15th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Ok so I am a rightie. But I'm struggling with a chronic headache lately (four months and counting now), that is based around my right ear and up the side of the head. My doctor think's it's a case of over-sensitive nerve endings (I'm waiting for an apoointment with a neuologist). Anyhow, I've started noticing that when I put my hair up it feels like it's pulling on the right side, worsening my headache. So as a desperate solution I tried to switch around my hands and make a leftie-Nautilus. And that worked much better!

So I'm looking for more tutorials for buns for lefties, what are your favourites? I know I could just look at a normal tutorial and switch it, but since I need to teach my non-dominant hand to do this I think the fewer complications the better :P Espcially since my brain capacity is a bit less with this headache going on XD

Oops, I put you in the wrong thread on this. Oh well, here's a link to another thread on the topic that has more suggestions. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136777

Good luck with the headache. That sounds like no fun at all.

Cg
April 15th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I frequently vary buns from every direction possible, including top/bottom as well as r/l. You never know when a variation may come in handy (pun intended).

PixieP
April 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Oops, I put you in the wrong thread on this. Oh well, here's a link to another thread on the topic that has more suggestions. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136777

Good luck with the headache. That sounds like no fun at all.

Thank you Anje! I'm sure this thread will have good tips too :)

Lisa Long4Life
April 30th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Here is lefty LWB tutorial.

http://youtu.be/qhuT9DZ3PAo

Joining this thread(LATE) because I just found that tutorial after I was wondering why my LWB didn't look like a LWB. :p

Wildcat Diva
April 30th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Heh.

(Characters)