PDA

View Full Version : Itchy oily scalp

Squeaky
February 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I've been searching and haven't found anything for itchy oily scalps, only dry. So I was wondering if it would be any different treatment wise for normal-oily scalp. I obviously know that oiling my head might not be the best idea, but other than that I'm not sure. I've been using Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment for a while now and it does seem to help for a day or two, but then I start getting itchy again. I've tried using SLS cone-free shampoo only and within 2 weeks I was itching every day so I had to go back to the H&S. SLS free or not I still get itchy.

I don't really get flakes, it only happens a little if I'm scratching at a spot too much. They don't really bother me. It's just the darn itching that's driving me crazy. :mad: Well, not to the point of insanity, but I would like to know some things I could try. I'm thinking of trying tea tree oil (just the little bottle of EO, right?) in some way, maybe mixing it in with shampoo? ACV rinse? I wouldn't really want to see a dermatologist, since I figure all they would give me was another dandruff shampoo with loads of chemicals in it. I'd like to first try an alternative more natural way around it.

So, would treating an oilier scalp be much different than what has been said for dry ones? I'll also add that I do have sensitive skin and psoriasis on my knuckles, but oils and shampoos have never given me any problems that I know of.

pinchbeck
February 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM
When my scalp gets itchy I use a few drops of either tea tree oil or rosemary oil in my fragrance free shampoo. It seems to help. In addition, my shampoo is diluted with water for a more gentler cleansing experience and conditioner is not applied on my scalp, but only the length.

Do your shampoos contain other eo's? Sometimes they can be irritating to sensitive skin. If so, try using a simple shampoo that doesn't contain any. It's best to add your own and than you can figure out which ones are bothersome (if they are the culprit!).

How often do you cleanse your scalp? Too many times per week can also be irritating. I have read that adding a tiny bit of baking soda to shampoo can help, too. It is mildly abrasive, cleansing, and has the ability to remove excess oil. But only try a wee bit like 1/8th of a teaspoon to start and incorporate this into your shampoo routine once per week only.

I am no expert, but these are the only tips I can think of at the moment.

ETA: Oops, I forgot to include that yling ylang oil is supposed to help balance sebum production.

little_cherry
February 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I found that my scalp would get more itchy and oily if I washed often and used shampoos. What helped me was doing CO washes only. Conditioner removes oil from the hair without stripping it much more effectively than shampoo (I also do heavy oilings on my scalp and hair) and CO does a wonderful job at clearing up the scalp.

The trick with Conditioner only washing is to rinse the hair of conditioner VERY well, otherwise you'll end up with flat lifeless hair :)

Squeaky
February 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Pinchbeck, what kind of shampoo do you use? I never thought to use something fragrance-free. I suppose that's because I've never seen any. :p I try going as long as I can without washing which is about every 3-5 days, however long I can stand the itch and oil.

I think I may try the CO washes first, simply because I have that on hand already. I was browsing that topic but wasn't aware it could help stop the itchies for some people. Thanks for the EO info and for both of your answers! :)

MsBubbles
February 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
If I let my hair go 3-5 days between washes I'd have really bad dandruff. We're talking golf balls here (ok I exaggerate).

For what it's worth, the Aubrey Organic Clarifying Green Tea shampoo lessened the itching even if I went a 3rd day without washing.

Good luck figuring out what works for you! I thnk, though, that it takes a few weeks for the scalp to calm down and for all the flakes to shake out even after you HAVE found what works.

Squeaky
February 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Thank you for the info MsBubbles! :)