PDA

View Full Version : MSM help please...

Lassie
February 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
so i cant be doing with powders.....

Is this the same msm as i would get in powder form?
http://www.jointsupplementbenefits.com/product/641P

and how many tablets would i need to take per day ??

Monsterkitti
February 15th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Im not sure about the tablets you linked to sorry but the capsules I take are clear capsules full of MSM granules, its just like taking a regular tablet rather than a nasty powder, they are from Holland and barrett.

Lassie
February 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
do you know if they can be ordered online? Or is that a shop? I have family in the UK so they could probably send some over to me..

Thanks heaps :)

brunette
February 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Those ones you linked to look good. I always took tablet form. I would get mine from www.healthspan.co.uk they ship from guernsey I believe. I don't use any currently however.
HTH :)

Igor
February 15th, 2010, 03:35 AM
and how many tablets would i need to take per day ??

MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
You may take up to 2000mg/day.
Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.

Monsterkitti
February 15th, 2010, 04:25 AM
These are what ive got http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=182&prodid=139
but as brunette has taken tablet form before and thinks your ones look good maybe go ahead and give them a try.

Oh and I saw I didnt respond to this bit, I only take 1 a day even though they recommend anything from 1-4 a day with mine. I cant be bothered taking even more pills and I like to err on the side of caution with supplement amounts anyway.

pinchbeck
February 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Never take more than the bottle suggests!

brunette
February 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM
It's advisable to build up dosage over a number of weeks because it can cause a 'detox effect' and some people report upset stomach. I have a link somewhere that stated MSM is metabolized in 12 hours so suggested taking it two times a day to cover the full 24 hours.