PDA

View Full Version : My Starting Point | Overwhelmed!

MinRice
February 14th, 2010, 09:58 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2142/12879052/22974090/382779962.jpg
This is where I'm starting - Basically bald! My hair was just past BSL when my lupus flared up causing some major trouble. I'm VERY overwhelmed because I have so far to go to even get back to my former length.
On the physical side I pretty much have a good system that works for my hair it's the mental side I'd appreciate some advice with. How do I keep patient and how can I not be self conscious when I'm bald! I know it sounds vain but I'm actually depressed without my hair. :( Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Ravenwaves 88
February 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
You have a beautiful face for bald, so any length looks beautiful on you I'm sure. I don't have much advice but just keep your chin up.....you look great! We are here for you. :grouphug:

Vianka
February 14th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ditto what Ravenwaves said. You do have a beautiful face. Within a couple of months you'll already be at pixie length.

sarah061
February 14th, 2010, 10:51 PM
You are gorgeous and that hair is going to grow back before you know it! In the mean time, you can always experiment with hats and scarves if you're self conscious about going out in public. Also, it might not be your thing, but you could always a cute long-haired wig to wear now and then. I've considered doing this even though my hair is shoulder length just because I think it'd be fun to be able to swoosh it around, haha. But really, you have plenty of options and really you're a bit lucky because since you're growing your hair out from scratch, you have the perfect opportunity to read different articles on here and ensure that your hair grows out as healthy and gorgeous as possible - I wish I could go back in time and undo months of my dye and blowfrying damage! But you'll get back to your old length before you know it and we're all here to support you along the way :)

MinRice
February 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Thank you all. I really needed that. It will grow back, not overnight but it will grow back. And I can make it nice and healthy to boot!
I'm so glad I found this place :)

sarah061
February 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Also - for inspiration, check out the very beautiful Natalie Portman and Kylie Minogue!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/adrock2xander/bald.jpg

http://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kylieb.bmp

(And Natalie looks like a gorgeous, feminine bad-ass in that pic - I love it!)

Avalin
February 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Haha, that is exactly what I was going to say! You make the most beautiful bald woman ever! I want to shave my head on purpose one day just because (I am spontaneous like that). But you look so much better than I would.

Everything is good starting out this way with no hair at all because if you take care of it, it will be absolutely beautiful! You get to have completely virgin hair!

If I had a shaved head I would not wash it at all... not ever! Here's why: it would get to the point where it needs washing because every time you shampoo it makes your scalp produce more oil to compensate. And/or it dries out and you have to keep replacing the oils with artificial ones to make your hair beautiful again. Your own natural oils are best for your hair and I strongly believe that water only (wish I could do it myself but I am not willing to go through the initial super oily phase right now with uni and work) is the healthiest thing to do! Just a suggestion...

little_acorn
February 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Welcome to LHC :waving: - you have a lovely face and, as the others said, can carry almost bald really well! Your hair growth will also seem really quick at this lenght too - so it'll change really quickly on you.

Try wearing some cool scarves/bandanas in the meantime and treat your new hair gently and it'll grow in surprisingly fast - you'll also be the envy of all of us who are growing out dye/damage/layers!!! As you'll have totally virgin hair

:flower:

LittleOrca
February 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I imagine Igor is going to be a hero of yours soon. :)

Kirry-Folk
February 14th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Goodness, you're quite striking. You carry this off very well, so no need to feel self-conscious!

:waving: But yes, welcome to LHC!

Tutti_Frutti
February 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I totally agree with the reactions here! Don't be self-concious, you look gorgeous, even without hair. There are not a lot of people who can say they look good (almost) bald.

Be patient and before you know it your hair will be long. :) We're here to support you!

merryhair
February 15th, 2010, 02:51 AM
You look really pretty even bald. And you know what?? Your hair starts to grow out even before you notice it. There are members here who started out with bald and reached awesome lengths. Don't worry!:grouphug:

pumori
February 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hey there, cheer up! I went through the same thing- I had to have so many EEG's when I was in the hospital that I shaved my head...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2rpfndt.jpg

And I did miss my hair quite a lot, and I went through the same depressed state. Honestly though, you look lovely even without hair :) What I did was buy really pretty head scarves and hats to distract myself until it came back! Always remember, not everyone can pull off a shaved head!

tiggens
February 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hey Min--

I am sorry that you're going through this. I hope you are feeling better physically. I am growing out from a shaved head (like pumori's). My head shaving was my choice so our situations are a bit different. However, I know that depressed feeling. Hair is part of who you are and it can be a big loss especially when it wasn't your choice to lose it. Your hair will grow back. You will probably obsess about your hair, maybe feel bad for a while but it WILL get longer everyday. The one kind of fun part about growing out from scratch is watching it grow and change and having a new hairdo every other week. Things that got me through the times when I felt the least pretty were doing frequent at-home "beauty" treatments (like a facial mask or scalp massage, henna or something), experimenting with styles, scarves and turbans and of course LHC.

Perhaps it is of little consolation but as others in the thread have said, you do look beautiful. You look like you have a good face for pixie cuts and the like so I hope your growing out is as cute and pain-free as posisble! It is okay to mourn the loss of your hair, it isn't vain to feel sad about it. The process of growing back will take a while but it WILL grow. Good luck! Feel free to look at my albums as I've been growing from pretty much bald for about 21 months.

Prism
February 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
This is where I'm starting - Basically bald! My hair was just past BSL when my lupus flared up causing some major trouble. I'm VERY overwhelmed because I have so far to go to even get back to my former length.
On the physical side I pretty much have a good system that works for my hair it's the mental side I'd appreciate some advice with. How do I keep patient and how can I not be self conscious when I'm bald! I know it sounds vain but I'm actually depressed without my hair. :( Any thoughts would be welcomed.

I have been bald -- two years ago when I went through chemo. I shaved my head before losing my hair. And I went bald in public on a regular basis.

How not to be self conscious:

--You've got a beautiful face. When I saw you, I immediately thought "some people just look beautiful with or without hair." You're one of them. Really. I am not just telling you this to make you feel better or whatever. You can carry this off as a *style choice* and nobody would be the wiser.

--Get acquainted with movies/photos of bald women who look great, and then convince yourself that you look just as great. Suggestions: Sigourney Weaver, Natalie Portman, Demi Moore, Sinead O'Connor.

--Remember this is just a stage. Experience it. This won't be forever, so enjoy it. Yes, I actually said enjoy. I enjoyed it because I decided I would. You can do that, too. This is a temporary thing; travel through it.

--Think about the fact that whatever state of health your hair was in before, you've got an opportunity to make it even healthier this time around.

--Give yourself permission to, for once in your life, not give a flip what anyone thinks. Let them look. Whatever. They won't know what they're looking at--a style choice? a sick woman? But when it comes down to it, you have gone through enough with the lupus and your emotions without adding to it by worrying what others think. Thoughts can't touch you anyway. Make a decision about this. Free yourself.

--If you aren't comfy going bald in public, then by all means get some BEAUTIFUL scarves. I looked long and hard before I found ones I loved and that didn't make me look like a sick person. This is the best source I found: http://www.4women.com/fabrics/silk/ . Silk, rayon, many ways to style easily. Ok, I'm looking at them now and they are so lovely I actually MISS WEARING THEM. Yeah, they're that pretty. Go wild. I had a black silk one and one with a great pattern with beautiful symbols (heart, spiritual spiral, etc.) all over it. The only reason I didn't wear them more was because I was having frequent hot flashes from the chemo and had forced myself to be comfortable going bald in public.

I hope this helps. You can do this.

MandyBeth
February 16th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I started with no hair also. It's not fun at all. And the growing out to an even length does take what seems like forever.

But for all the days when you don't like your look - you will start with wonderful, never damaged hair. You also will get to use any and all hair toys that you might love, but with longer hair, they wouldn't work. Get headcoverings that you like if you feel you must have something on your head.

And really - just have fun with it. You are beautiful right now, so live it up. My version of this was to put a tattoo on my scalp - I know it's there, no one else sees it now, but it makes me happy. Do whatever you want.

restourceful
February 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hi MinRice! :waving:Welcome!

You are such a gorgeous girl! :thudpile:Bald is certainly beautiful on you. But I imagine any length hair is beautiful on you.

You will find lots of friends here to support you in your hair growth journey. LHC is a wonderful, caring group of people, as I'm sure you've already experienced. I'm looking forward to celebrating every milestone with you.:cheer:

FrannyG
February 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM
You already got advice from people who've been there, so I have nothing to add in that sense. What I will say is that even though you are not wearing a happy expression in that photo, you look stunningly beautiful. :inlove:

And honestly, you'll have a regular pixie-looking cut before you know it!

We have a lot of members here who started growing from bald whether by choice or due to health. As you continue to get involved here, you will get to know them, and be inspired.

*Aoife*
February 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Firstly, you're really pretty. You don't need hair to make yourself prettier. That was my first thought when I saw your photo.

Secondly, you have an excuse to buy as many scarves as you can afford. Make scarves your new hairsticks or what ever hair toy you drool over.

Lastly, you can have 100% virgin hair. Untouched by heat or chemicals. I think most people wish thair hair could be totally virgin.

:grouphug:

MissMandyElizab
February 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hun you rock and your so pretty hair or not but i know your hair made you feel your best and in time it will be back.Till then the scarf ad wig ideas are fun or you can but hair toys and things so when it is there you can enjoy them and you can look forword to your goals

Calista
February 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
You are not bald - you have teddybear fuzz! And it makes your eyes pop out!

And, at this length you will really see a change almost daily. That is something. :agree:

Bunnyhare
February 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hi:grouphug:
You are beautiful!
I am so sorry your lupus got you , but fight it back by being happy and wearing really pretty ,fun head scarves! plus, happiness can do some healing of its own..
I cover whenever i am out of the house and it is actually alot of fun! there are so many places that make beautiful,fun coverings...http://www.headcovers.com/index.php like this one...
(there is also a thread about it in frienship boards)
I have RA and lupus and really know where you are coming from...lots of love to you!

flutterbudget
February 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I think you look like Katee_Sackhoff (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/wy9r8IT1Y5b/Emmy+Hearts+Fire+Diamond+Indulgence+Lounge/54xfDHH4Set/Katee+Sackhoff) .

She looked fantastic with some seriously short styles during Battlestar Galactica. I think you look lovely now, and you'll have a short little 'do before you know it!

natorade
February 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
You are not being vain at all. A womens hair is her crowning glory. I was severely depressed when I had to cut off all my hair due to damage. With each 1/2 inch of length of growth I gain, I slowly re-develop my confidence. On a good note though, you do look very beautiful regardless. By the summer you will most likely have a cute pixie going on.

PiroskaCicu
February 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM
You have a gorgeous face, especially those pretty eyes! Hang in there... your hair is growing every day. :)

What is great about starting from this point is that you can really achieve healthy hair.

Don't give up! We're here for you.

RecklessCharlie
February 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
As many have already done, I would encourage you not to be self conscious about being 'bald'. You actually look very striking in a very good way!
Think of Sinead O'Connor, she's a stunningly beautiful woman and if often shorn :)
Your hair will do its natural duty and grow, best to ignore it and let it do just that - it'll be long before you know it.

And welcome to LHC!

Elphie
February 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Shaving my head is one thing I've always wanted to do, and never did. Think of it this way, I actually envy anyone brave enough to sport the look well! I'm not sure if it would actually look good on me.

It looks great, try to have fun with it because it's going to pass fast!

ali beast
February 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
once upon a time i worked at a hipster clothing store in a suburban mall. i had a shaved head, and stood out a bit amongst the teenage girl clientele... i can't tell you how many women gazed at my head longingly and said, wistfully, "i wish i could do that..."

so, be prepared to get a lot of envious stares!

once your hair has grown back (which it will) you will be able to look back on this time and check it off your to-do list :)

also, maybe you'll find that you will appreciate your hair and its health in ways you never had before.

welcome to LHC and happy growing! :flower: