PDA

View Full Version : diffrent types of hair cuts I can get?

SophieSpector
February 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM
since my hair is quite wavy and has the tendancy to get poofy I need to figure out a way to stop getting that triangle look. Y'know what i'm talking about, flat on top, poofy on bottom with no shape to the hair apart from pyramid.

my hair is a bit below bsl and its already getting like that, thats fine for the time being but once I reach my goal ( waist length ) I really want to wear my hair down and enjoy all my hardwork and patience.

i'm wondering if you can suggest hair cuts, products to use and styles and also ways to style hair without hot tools to give long hair a shape and ideally i want a "polished" look, y'know what i'm talking about right?

Tovah
February 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Do you get the same effect if your hemline is U shaped?

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
First and foremost, learn to put it up. Buns can give lovely tamed waves and sometimes even curls. Braids are good too, as long as you don't pull them too tight or comb or brush them afterwards. Just take them apart with your fingers and leave the waves alone. They will blend on their own.

You could get a layered cut, which would take out some of the bulk, but then braids and buns will be harder. I don't see a goal length for you, but most of us like to avoid cutting because hair naturally thins out as it grows, and you could end up with the bottom-most layer too thin.

Increased length also tames the bushy look. Ask me how I know.

Oh, and if you haven't tried oiling, it can be excellent for smoothing hair and making it shine. Start with 1 drop of whatever cooking oil you have available - coconut and olive oil are two especially good ones - rub oil between palms, sandwich bottom half of length between palms and slide hands down. Then comb to make sure oil is well distributed. I keep it away from my scalp, but if your scalp tends to be dry, you can comb it all through your hair.

spidermom
February 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Do you get the same effect if your hemline is U shaped?

Not so much. My hair looks way better in a U-shape. In a straight-across cut at waist length, it looked like a short cape - very unattractive.

Demetrue
February 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't necessarily cut it, but I would try using conditioner only to wash my hair and oiling and using wide-tooth combs instead of hair brushes (if you don't already).

Margeaux
February 15th, 2010, 04:44 AM
My hair was particularly poofy/triangular between shoulder and APL+, and there appeared to be only one remedy: wait for it to grow!

Right now I'm a few inches below BSL and the weight has started dragging the volume down. I still steer well away from any volume products, but my hair looks decent, suave, maintainable and lengthy instead of broad - without any model cut at all!

Good luck :)

ETA: I do have a U shaped hemline, as shown in my signature. Perhaps that also helps.

pinchbeck
February 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Gee, I love that poofy look! I don't think many people can achieve it. That look reminds me of do's worn in the 70s. Sultry, sexy, and natural. Please don't cut to alter it! If you want to tame it a wee bit, using oil as spidermom suggested will help.

Learn to love and adore your hair's natural traits.

manderly
February 15th, 2010, 10:33 PM
First off, as a wavy/curly, the poof comes mostly from lack of moisture and product, not necessarily the cut (especially at your length).

As to an actual cut, I would suggest something like the Deva cut which will bring out your wave and curl pattern the best and remove the bulk. There have been some beautiful cuts shown here from Deva stylists. I would get one if there was a Deva trained stylist anywhere around me :)