PDA

View Full Version : Oil overnight -- What type of oil? Bonnet?

Prism
February 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Do ya'll wear a bonnet or something when you sleep with oil in your hair? Does the oil make your hair crunchy or soft?

I've put oil in my hair, but I feel so disgustingly oily that I can't stand it. Maybe if I had long hair that I could oil the ends, braid it, and put the braid in a sock or something, but this short hair would have oil all over my face and pillow.

Are there any types of oils that are better than others for not causing the crunchiness that some here have mentioned?

Thanks!

loralie
February 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
When I do a heavy overnight oil I only apply it on the lower half of my hair, so the lengths and not the scalp. Basically all of the hair from where the ponytail meets my head down to the end of the "tail", making sure the ends are soaked more than anything else. Then I wrap it around in a tight bun near the top of my head and sleep. I do try to wash my pillowcase often, especially after I do a heavy oiling as it can get icky. I'm one of those freaky claustrophobic people who can't handle wearing hats or headbands for extended periods of time so I have to go without the bonnet.

My hair is halfway between SL and APL... just past collarbone in the front and I'm still able to get it into a tight little bun for the night. Pieces fall out but for the most part the length stays in.

mellie89
February 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I use coconut oil, and it has never made my hair crunchy.

Maybe try using a little less so you don't feel like a total grease-ball? I find that a pretty light coating can get the job done.

I only oil the very ends of my hair. I just put it in two braids and oil from the elastics down.

Carolyn
February 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I use whatever oil is at hand. It's often olive oil. It might be coconut oil or avocado oil too. Just whatever I have. I like to try different ones. Right now I'm using Carol's Daughter Lisa's Elixer. It seems like a nice oil but it's stinky. Not rancid stinky. Just strange stinky. I oil the entire length and braid it. No sleep cap for me. My head is too hot for that. I don't think I could stand it. My pillowcases are either old crappy ones or cheapies from WM so I don't really care if they get oily. Oxyclean and hot water and a long soaking time gets it out. And if it doesn't, so what?

Magelet33
February 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I did it a while ago with olive oil, and I just don't really remember it being a big problem. I think I did it midday so it soaked in somewhat (wearing it up in a dutch coronet scarf style), and then kept it in two braids for sleeping? I know after two days of wearing it in a covered scarf style, there wasn't any oilyness left.

Prism
February 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe I've gotta wait for the overnight thing til it's past my shoulders. Right now it'd be oily face (something I definitely don't need more of).

countryhopper
February 17th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I oiled my hair this afternoon and stuck it in an updo all day (just a peacock twist). It's a little strange, but sebum hair and olive oil hair feels different to me. With olive oil on, my hair feels clean and silky instead of a greaseball. It still LOOKs like a greaseball, though!

sweet*things
February 17th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I almost never oil at night. If I did, I'd braid it to try to keep it contained. Usually I'll oil in the morning and then put my hair up all day. If I'm wearing a braid, chances are I've heavy oiled, because it helps keep my braids from getting "fuzzy" halfway through the day.

As far as crunchiness goes, lots of people here seem to have a problem with coconut oil, but lots more swear by it, so I guess that's a try it for yourself kind of thing.

Wicked Princess
February 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM
If I do a heavy oiling at night, I usually do it olive oil - it always makes my hair feel so much softer than any other oil I use! I'll normally do this once a week.

While I do sleep with a satin sleep cap almost every night, I use a silk scarf wrapped around my length the nights I do those heavy oilings.

RedButterfly
February 17th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I like to use jojoba oil or Monoi oil for overnight oil treatments. I usually wear a silk scarf over my head. Scarves look better on me than bonnets. (My DH doesn't mind my scarves but he laughed when I wore a bonnet once. I agree - the scarves look better on me.)

Heavier oils like olive oil may even require a towel over your pillow. I find the scarf is enough for light or medium oils like jojoba and Monoi because my hair absorbs so much of the oil.

chargersfan
February 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I only oil at night if I'm washing my hair in the morning, otherwise it's too greasy (any amount) for me. I oil only the length w/ coconut oil, not the scalp, and braid it in 2 braids. In the morning I wash it out. It doesn't seem to get everywhere, I think since the oil is pretty 'solid' after putting it on my hair & braiding it (maybe b/c it's still cold at night). My pillow doesn't get very oily. I can't bring myself to wear a bonnet.

Jordan S.
February 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Although pricey, I love coconut oil. My hair just melted, I adore it. My hair type is pretty dry so it's great. I can see how it would turn thinner haired people into grease balls lol.

TiaKitty
February 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
My pillowcases are either old crappy ones or cheapies from WM so I don't really care if they get oily. Oxyclean and hot water and a long soaking time gets it out. And if it doesn't, so what?

Big, greasy, cystic zits, that's what! :p I can't have oily pillow cases, or my skin goes all to hell-o.

I like apricot oil because it's nice and light and doesn't make me feel greasy.

little_acorn
February 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I use either coconut, jojoba or Nightblooming's Tiple moon annointing oil. Everynight I lightly oil the length of my hair to the ends - focussing on the ends. I then plait my hair and sleep. The night before a wash I sometimes heavily oil my hair all over and massage it into my scalp. I then plait it and stick my silk bonnet on to sleep. This seems to work pretty well for me :D

Triple moon is fantastic on itchy scalps mmmmmm - I think I might do this tonight....

christine1989
February 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Perhaps you are using too much (I made that mistake at first). With oil you only need enough to lightly coat the hairs. Hair usually will absorb some of the oil so the initial "greasy" feeling will wear off. I don't put anything over my hair at night because my hair soaks the oil up VERY quickly but I do keep a lot of clean pillowcases on hand.

nellreno
February 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I usually use coconut oil to coat my hair (not on the scalp), then braid it and wrap my hair in a t-shirt to sleep in (it keeps the grease from spreading to my face). And I make sure to do ths when I'll be washing the next day!

Also, during the day if I'm putting my hair up, I'll put a little bit of oil the ends and then fix my hair.

Sissy
February 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have tried many different oils overnight. I use a plastic shower cap (disposable kind you can get in bags of 100 or so from Sally Beauty SUpply). Diff. oils react differently to peoples hair. I have good luck with Argan Oil, Camellia Oil, Ojon Restorative, and Jojoba Oil. I have also used Coconut oil but this can sometimes leave hair crunchy. I have used Olive oil but only as a 30 minute intensive treatment, never overnight.