PDA

View Full Version : shall I grow out my fringe

lady G
April 30th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I am growing out a bob shall i go for it and grow out my blunt straight fringe or wait till hair is long then grow it out :rolleyes: i can't decide if i can cope with it all growing maybe a fringe in will keep me sane and give it a shape while growing but then again i might wish i had just grown the lot all at once lol

Lady g

florenonite
April 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
If your final goal involves no fringe, then I'd recommend growing it all out at once. I'm currently growing out a fringe, and although I can now tuck it behind my ears and get it into a ponytail, it's going to be years before it catches up to the rest of my hair, as it's currently at about chin-length.

Irishred
April 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Welcome.

Grow them out now if not having fringe is your end goal. If you do evening trims on your ends your fringe will eventually catch up but it will be sooner if you start now.

Is your current bob at shoulder or above? My DD had an ear-length bob that is now past her shoulders. We kept her fringe until it was almost touching her shoulders. I so regret that now as they are barely chin length like florenonite's.

lady G
May 1st, 2008, 01:53 AM
my bob is just about collar length at the moment, mind you i kinda like a blunt fringe in a way so i may keep it as when i have my hair up when its long enough that is i have something to frame my face, but i see what you mean if i do decide to grow it later on its gonna take forever to catch up :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice :)

xxx

Ella
May 1st, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'd let it grow if you are unsure. You can always cut it in again

Tangles
May 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Grown out fringe makes great face framing layers. If you have a thick fringe, I'd strongly recommend trimming the part in the middle just a little bit so that you don't have thick swaths of hair hanging into your face.

Tap Dancer
May 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'm growing mine out. They blend nicely because my hair is just below my shoulders with a lot of layers. My bangs are "mouth length" right now. It'll be nice for you to have hair that's almost all one length when it's longer.

Valorie
May 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm letting mine grow for now even though I'm not sure either. I can always cut later when it's grown out a bit-

Rosamaria
May 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Before you decide to grow it out, make sure that not having a fringe is going to suit you. I once spent a long time growing one out only to find that I looked much better with one. Sweep your fringe off your face with a hairband and see how you will look:)

I also found that I had straight 'baby hairs' which grew around my forehead hairline, never got long enough to even put behind my ears, and hung down over my face looking very messy. It was such a relief to cut them back to a nice neat fringe!

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM
mmmm yeah well in the past i have had no fringe so i kinda suit with or without its just a different look i guess, but when i have my hair up i like the fringe, its a thick blunt fringe i have right now just on the eyebrows, i am gonna grow the rest to shoulder length keep the fringe till then and decide at that point what to do with it.

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM
some people say having a fringe makes you look younger but i dunno if i think thats silly how can that be right? it is putting me off growing mine out hahaha:mad:

Eireann
May 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I guess it depends on the person. For me, I think it covers up my forehead wrinkles. Also, I have a fairly high forehead, so I think fringe is more flattering on me, and I think gives my long hair a little more "style."

spidermom
May 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I don't know if my fringe makes me look younger particularly, but it is more flattering to my features when the rest of my hair is pulled back.

Wanita
May 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Actually, this is a question I've been asking myself lately :ponder:, especially after looking at some recent pictures of myself.

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
yes i like to see long hair with a fringe and without a fringe too i just can't decide what i want my end result to look like, i think its all down to what you get usd too aswell i am really used to my blunt fringe now but at first when i got it done a few years back i didn't like it much lol i am just indecisive and get bored easily lol.

KajiKodomo
May 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
It makes me look younger, that's for sure.

Apparently, I already look about 16, so with bangs, that lowers it to about 12. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm prone to breaking out, and bangs definitely aggravate that. So, for those two reasons, I have no bangs. Haha! :D

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
It makes me look younger, that's for sure.

Apparently, I already look about 16, so with bangs, that lowers it to about 12. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm prone to breaking out, and bangs definitely aggravate that. So, for those two reasons, I have no bangs. Haha! :D

well i like to look younger hahhaa in my thirties now so thats a bonus in my book :o but i get pimples on my forehead in summer with a fringe too maybe i should pin the fringe back in summer and have it in winter then i get best of both worlds lol

KajiKodomo
May 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Long hair, by default, makes one look younger, so with the addition of bangs, you may look 16 yourself! :D

You've had fringe/bangs before? If you feel comfortable, you could post pictures of yourself with and without a fringe and see what the opinion is. Of course, that would require showing your face, if you're comfortable with that.

Xanthippe
May 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I don't know if my fringe makes me look younger particularly, but it is more flattering to my features when the rest of my hair is pulled back.

I agree. I think that for some people, fringe is flattering. I'm not sure if it makes them look younger necessarily though. There have been threads here where a celebrity changed their hairstyle from long without fringe to short with fringe, and people have commented that that is aging, so it could go either way, depending on the accompanying style.

florenonite
May 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I looked older with shoulder-length hair and a fringe, which is good as I look about fifteen! However, the fringe was annoying, so I got rid of it (it's past my chin now xD)

vindo
May 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Does not make any difference on me. I think it really depends on the person..

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Long hair, by default, makes one look younger, so with the addition of bangs, you may look 16 yourself! :D

You've had fringe/bangs before? If you feel comfortable, you could post pictures of yourself with and without a fringe and see what the opinion is. Of course, that would require showing your face, if you're comfortable with that.

oh im ok with that yeah i have blunt fringe right now eyebrow length and in past have had long fringe in with the rest of my hair, i will have to try and find a pic though lol and take one of it now wiht a fringe i will get round to it sometime and get opinions :)

noelgirl
May 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
This is something that I've been wondering - I got bangs in March and I'm already debating whether to grow them out (they've already started to grow just because I don't want to cut them again if I might be growing them anyway). Sometimes I think that they look really good but other times I'm not sure whether they actually flatter my face. Of course, maybe it has more to do with the fact that my face just looks awkward in photos and the bangs have nothing to do with it.

Tangles
May 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM
full on fringe makes most look younger, particularly blondes. with dark hair it *sometimes* makes you look older (this was the case with me). side fringe is great for making a face look slimmer, if you need that, but it does nothing to make you look young IMO.

Anlbe
May 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Personally I don't think bangs/fringe do most people any favours, the exceptions being people with very thick hair, low foreheads or hair lines beginning more than an inch beyond the apex of their forehead and obviously those with short hair. Some people might look younger with fringes but I've not personally observed it.

PatGear
May 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
It often does, but I think it depends on the person and their other features.

snowbird
May 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hm, I feel like mine does, in particular with updos. But, I don't know if that is because I genuinely look younger, or if it a nostalgia for a hairstyle that I wanted when I was younger...

MsBubbles
May 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
A fringe definitely covers up wrinkles as we age, and at 41 I'm swinging daily back and forth between to fringe, or not to fringe. I have thin, straight hair, and am enjoying the extra ponytail and overall thickness with no fringe. I can't make up my mind though, but I think I'm going to decide AGAINST a fringe, in spite of my frown marks, because my hair is so lank, the fringe just sticks to my forehead like it's sprayed on:eek:. Besides, I went that route ad nauseum in the 80s and just don't wanna go back there, even if 'skinny' jeans are back in style:p

talullah
May 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately, mine make me look older. They emphasize my eyes, which means they also emphasize my undereye wrinkles. :rolleyes: Overall, though, I look better with bangs than without. Older, but better. :lol:

Alaskanheart
May 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think it depends on the person.My mom looks older with bangs or fringe around her face IMO, and her hair is bsl.I look younger with bangs Ive noticed though.

cuddledumplin
May 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I was about to mention that a fringe can sometimes emphasise wrinkles around the eyes, but talullah beat me to it.

I think it depends on the person. If your wrinkles are localised to someone's forehead, a fringe could make you look younger, but if he/ she has wrinkles all over, the fringe won't be hiding anything.

To kind of change the subject, I've noticed that blunt fringes that cover up your eyebrows (but not your eyes) are popular now; I just think it looks weird.

Nevermore
May 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
It depends, but I will say that, if you're older, have wrinkles and have long hair that is pulled back alot, bangs can make you look younger or less "severe". I'm only 18, but I wear my hair in a bun whenever I'm out and because my old layers will only go into a ponytail (which is the base of pretty much every style I do for this reason) if it's combed straight back from my hairline, I can look...not older, but more...strict/severe/mean/whatever, so I cut eye level wispy bangs that I just comb back with the rest of my hair when I ponytail it and allow it to dry/wisp out, so the overall look is softer.

Rini
May 7th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Well as someone in their mid 30s who has just grown out her fringe.....I'd say that being fringeless has made me look more "classic" IMO. A fringe (on me) made me look younger perhaps, but not in a good way and I thought it was a dated look. I am now enjoying my full face :D

It has taken a lot of getting used to, but I can honestly say I prefer the way I look now and it's just so much easier too!

Amoretti
May 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I do think it depends on the kind of fringe. I don't like those fringes that are carefully blown under so they have a semi-tubular effect; to me they look very 80s and they actually age one.

Having said that, maybe a sideswept fringe would make you look younger. They seem to be all the rage now. I've seen parts right about ear level on some young girls. If I had one of those it would constantly be in my eyes, annoying the heck out of me. LOL.

Babyfine
May 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I've been told that a fringe makes me look younger. Not that I look "old" without one, though IMO. I agree with Rini's statement about classic looking instead.!.(I don't have particularily "classic" features, though, LOL!
I had my hair in a chin length bob and with straight across bangs about 5 years ago- and everyone from church to my mother kept saying how much younger it made me look.(What did I look like before?) I have a relatively short face, though so to me fringe kind covers up half my face!
I have considered some side swept bangs, though, for updos.

florenonite
May 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
To kind of change the subject, I've noticed that blunt fringes that cover up your eyebrows (but not your eyes) are popular now; I just think it looks weird.

I just think it's weird because I had one when I was four. It's like leggings. If I wore it fourteen years ago I don't want to wear it now.

lady G
May 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
As I can cut my own blunt fringe no problem (I have to do this almost weekly it seems to grow so fast I am glad I can do it myself ) I will keep my fringe until my hair reaches shoulder length then have a re-think and see if it looks fine with the fringe, then if not I will grow it out, but if its still looking ok then maybe I will still keep it :) thing is I had no fringe for a long time its just the past few years I have had one and I have kind of become attached to it now lol.

jesamyn
May 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I hear ya there! I love my long fringe and would have a very hard time giving it up.

AmandaPanda
May 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I hear ya there! I love my long fringe and would have a very hard time giving it up.

Me too. I've had bangs most of my life, and I just look better with them so I think I'll always have some

mommy101405
May 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I am so back and forth on mine. I am growing them out though if I dry them with the blow dryer I can still wear them down but just barely. I like the way they look I just miss the convenience of not having them and not worrying about how they looked. It was nice when I could just put all my hair up in a ponytail and not worry about it.

GlennaGirl
May 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Bangs/fringe look adorable on some people. It can be a really beautiful look. We know ourselves best and we know how we look best...so if you love your fringe...keep it! :agree:

camillacamilla
May 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I go back and forth on trying to grow out bangs and keeping them trimmed. I like the look of chin length bangs on other people, but in actuality, I have a broad, square forehead that needs coverage. Bangs also help hide my forehead wrinkles, so that is a plus. :rolleyes:

lady G
May 12th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I go back and forth on trying to grow out bangs and keeping them trimmed. I like the look of chin length bangs on other people, but in actuality, I have a broad, square forehead that needs coverage. Bangs also help hide my forehead wrinkles, so that is a plus. :rolleyes:

you don't look like wrinkles is a problem :) but yes i feel like that at times now i am in my late thrities :rolleyes::D

lady G
May 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
right tonight i have decided thats it i will grow it and i know its gonna be a long road ahead i like my blunt fringe but its getting too warm and it sticks to my forehead and goes greasy etc :( its great in winter but right now i wish it was long and when i go jogging etc i could do without having a fringe plastered to my head. Expect a few rants and raves on here over the next few months as i try and grow it lol i know i will get support on my journey from you good folks :)

xxx

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
You know, it's not that bad. Just do side swept bangs at first. And then they will be pretty face framing layers :)

lady G
May 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
You know, it's not that bad. Just do side swept bangs at first. And then they will be pretty face framing layers :)

yeah thanks thats true i love my short fringe though but i get heat rashes in summer and that bugs me :mad: does anyone else have that issue or is it that i am a freak lol! plus with having fine hair maybe adding the extra hair i wil gain by growing my fringe long will look better?!

Loviatar
May 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Lady G, I used to get breakouts on my forehead in summer. I changed my part to the centre, and used aloe gel to keep the fringe off my face. I wet the hair, put aloe in it and combed it back in two 'wings'. Also I would wash my fringe every day over the sink using a cup of cool water and diluted shampoo.

Now my fringe is a little longer I no longer use as much aloe gel and I have a side part. My fringe falls over my right eye.

As another finey-haired lady I am also hoping for extra thickness by growing out my fringe. Mine is at the bottom of my glasses lenses now. :)

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I did have that problem with breakouts under my bangs at times.

Have you ever tried OCM? That really cleared up my acne.

lady G
May 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I did have that problem with breakouts under my bangs at times.

Have you ever tried OCM? That really cleared up my acne.

I hsven't tried that no? maybe i will i have read about it. my skin is usually fine, the odd spot at pmt times etc but its just the forehead and usually just in hot weather, its ever since i had this thick blunt fringe so i know its that :mad: seems fine when i clip fringe back so look like i am gonna have to grow it out.

diamondprincess
May 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
If you do really like the look of your fringe, what about just clipping it when jogging, and on really warm days, etc.? I have a fringe and when it looks kinda greasy, I just wash fringe only in my sink, or more usually use clips and clip it straight up over the top, I think it looks cute, and really looks like I don't even have a fringe. best of both worlds, for me anyway!

lady G
May 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
well I am a week into my fringe growth lol not long I know, already I can see progress and can twist it back off my face with a clip :) I actually think I like it better this way, lets hope the growing keeps up at this rate.

Eboshi
May 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Lady G, it is difficult to read your posts. Would you please incorporate proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts ?

Flaxen
May 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Being able to keep your fringe out of your eyes is a big step! :thumbsup: It should continue to grow quickly, too, at least that's what I noticed the few times I had shorter hair around my face. Keep going! :cheese:

Shimmy
May 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm letting mine grow some. But I only want to grow my bangs out to about check to lips length, so I can have alot of styling options :)

Curlsgirl
May 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hey! Mine's getting better too! I am going to chin length and then see if I want to go farther. I can already tell I am going to like the longer bangs better though. They also look a lot better with the highlights in them.

spidermom
May 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Good to hear this isn't making you miserable. I have a rotation of getting mine cut shorter in the fall, then letting it grow through the winter and spring so that I can successfully braid it away from my face by summertime.

lady G
June 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Well its week three or maybe four of the growing out my fringe mission and I feel ok with it. At first it was strange with it clipped back I felt bare faced lol, but I think I will keep on growing and I now do not miss my fringe, the urge to cut it has gone.

paper
June 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thats great! I'm sure you can pin them back with cute barrettes and it looks great. I know I've always worn bangs and would feel bare faced too.

jojo
June 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thats great, I started growing my fringe out this time last year and mine has gone from above eyebrow (think the 3 stooges!) and is now an inch below my chin. I much prefer my hair without the fringe, even though at first I had the urge to cut it back in.

lady G
June 8th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Thats great, I started growing my fringe out this time last year and mine has gone from above eyebrow (think the 3 stooges!) and is now an inch below my chin. I much prefer my hair without the fringe, even though at first I had the urge to cut it back in.

yeah wow well thats encouraging :) I will keep going it actually feels far cooler in the heat with a fringe clipped back too so thats another reason for not having a fringe :)

Toadstool
June 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
i've been growing out my fringe since November. Straightened, it hits my top lip. Left natural it springs up to two and a half inches shorter.
I've always found my hair feels longer when the front bits are long, and short when they're short whatever the length of the rest of it!

DecafJane
June 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Good work! My fringe is also getting to the point where it is finally off my face - it is SUCH a relief! :)

Flaxen
June 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Just doing some merging of similar threads. Carry on. :grin:

jojo
June 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I think too the hardest part is growing to nose tip length. I found once I got past this stage, mine grew really fast, much faster than the rest of my hair. Funnily enough there was a 6" difference between my sides and fringe when I first started growing, I have only ever trimmed the back to allow the rest to catch up but now theres only a 2" difference; strange!